Laos People in the US

noungning

Heartless
Hey, I just graduated from college (5 weeks ago) and now I'm a totally bum. I have no ambition to succeed in life or start a family. I'm kinda in limbo.
I sleep at 5am---don't know why. I have a sleeping window. If I don't sleep by 11pm, I can't sleep until 5am.

Personally, I find joining the rat race so tiring and terrifying. I just want to travel and live my life selfishly. Right now, I can't do either because I'm so poor.

I want to be a writer, but I don't know what to write about.

I don't want to make an impact, I don't plan to be successful. I just don't have that ambition nature. I see many people selling their souls and I just say, "you do that, I'll say over here."
why do i see myself in your explanation? but the difference is i've graduated almost 3 years ago! wow time flies.

there are so many things i want to do with life. but, like u said i have no ambitions into making it happen.

i suppose it takes time for one to discover what they really intend to and want to do in life. just keep going! ;)

CTR

The Realist guy here period
why do i see myself in your explanation? but the difference is i've graduated almost 3 years ago! wow time flies.

there are so many things i want to do with life. but, like u said i have no ambitions into making it happen.

i suppose it takes time for one to discover what they really intend to and want to do in life. just keep going! ;)
Yeah that's what happened to me a couple of years ago. I was trying to do everything at once and I felt lost. Well, graduating this year with a double major but things didn't click for me until my sophomore year. Succeeding is not selling yourself but rather doing what you love to do. When you do what you love to do then it is no longer work. At this point in time, I still feel like I have to something to prove. I want to prove it to myself, my family & friends, the haters and all those who prejudge, to prove to my fellow Lao brothers and sisters out there, etc. Inside my heart, I want to prove that I can run things my way and do the impossible. I like challenges and coming up with ways to solve problems so one day I told myself I wanted to match my skills with the top professionals in my field. To this day, my ultimate goal is to become a CEO not because of the money but to see if I can match my skills with the top CEOs in the world. Though, I admit I still have a lot to learn but I will always be striving to reach that level. Currently, I enjoy reading about managing philosophy like Druckner, Deming, Porter, etc.

I am glad and honored to see many successful Laotians in here because in my city people are so unmotivated (Lao). Everyday, I keep asking myself where is the heart, where is the determination, where is the courage, where is the Laotian pride? Sometimes, all I see is a bunch of gang bangers and some wannabe thugs. Some of them even said I sold out due to the way I dress and that I am trying to dress like white people. I have to dress professional because I am working as a professional in my field. When I was in high school, they egged my house a couple of times just because I did not want to hang out with them and do the things that they were doing. They are the people that are giving us good Lao people a bad rep. B)

sphansi

sarNie Egg
There is large number of Laos�s population in the US. Some families struggle to better themselves; especially for families whose parents don�t speak English and lack of education. There are many stories out there that Kon Lao become very successfully in the multi-culture society � Some families goes to college and earn a degree like many American does� if you are one of them, please share your story � what college you attend and what is your field study. There will be many happiness if we all know that our Laos families become a very important people �

Thanks in advance for those who participate

I read some of the replies and I thought it was very cool how a lot of Lao people are very driven in their education. It really "sucks" (I use this term to the fullest extent) that the social stigma for us is rustic, ill-bred idiots. I can't say that I am anywhere successful, but I am working on a BS. I didn't want to rant, but I just wanted to get that out of my system. Real reason for replying, during the first couple of weeks of my freshman year of college I had a girl tell me to stay away from Laotian people. She said, I quote, "They are all in gangs." Now most people would have been offended at the remark, unfortunately for me I took one look at my dorm mates face and busted out laughing. It was so hilarious to me that my white roommate took more offense to the remark than I did. Now that I think about it, I'm glad I didn't make a nasty reply since that would only further instill negative thoughts towards Laotians. Even though I think a great deal of people have come along way, there is still a long way to go. Hopefully, I can join all of you in stomping down those negative connotations.
:D

nina07

sarNie Adult
Well, i havent gone to college yet, but alot of my cousins and family members are like all doctors.. its scary haha.. but what i plan to do is go to SMU and become a pharmacuetical researcher. ^_^

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I was born here so my parents had established themselves already but they still struggled to become a citizen, I should know I had to teach them English (starting at the age of 8) and help them study for it.

I'm currently attending a university and god help me, I will graduate. If it weren't for my damn foreign language I would have graduated already. <_<
Oh, I'm getting my degree in journalism (print) with a minor in political science.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Hmm..... success comes in all forms.

I may not be "successful" in having double majors in universities, but I am successful in life. I survived a war, diseases, painful nights, two major surgeries, the endless darkness, delivering a baby who ended up in NICU, and endured uncertainties; I came out of it alive and still kicking. That is my success.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid

I may not be "successful" in having double majors in universities, but I am successful in life. I survived a war, diseases, painful nights, two major surgeries, the endless darkness, delivering a baby who ended up in NICU, and endured uncertainties; I came out of it alive and still kicking. That is my success.
Yes, I would call that very successful!! :clap:

narmfon

sarNie Hatchling
Hi, I just want to say that everyone now are trying to better themselves because that's the only way you can survive in this country. For me, that is education. Not everyone have the same goals of graduating from High School then going to college and I want to congrats all the people who are going hands on experience! Now a days with no experience you can't really get anywhere. Even with a college degree... By the way, I'm a sophmore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

noungning

Heartless

i consider that successful too ;)

being happy is also a large success.

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
There is large number of Laos’s population in the US. Some families struggle to better themselves; especially for families whose parents don’t speak English and lack of education. There are many stories out there that Kon Lao become very successfully in the multi-culture society – Some families goes to college and earn a degree like many American does… if you are one of them, please share your story – what college you attend and what is your field study. There will be many happiness if we all know that our Laos families become a very important people …

Thanks in advance for those who participate
I think education depends on both the parents and on the child as well. My grandparents and sometimes parents depended on me for translation services eversince I was able to read and write at the age of 7. My parents are from an elite family in former Lao. So this may be the reason why they made sure education was first on our agenda. I have a Bachelors of Science in Information Systems at the University of Arkansas and currently work for one of the world's biggest retailer. I am also planning to get a masters degree. My plans are to work for the next 15 years, hopefully retire at 40 and then make some positive changes in people's lives.

My have 2 aunts both are RNs and my uncle is a Mechanical Engineer.

Whether rich or poor, I think America gives its citizens an equal opportunity to pursure higher education. Don't ever say you don't have the money to go to college. If you're really determined, show it and there will be someone out there willing to give you scholarships or grants. It all depends on your will power...to do.

Thats it! Hopefully, that was somewhat inspirational. :D

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
i consider that successful too ;)

being happy is also a large success.
I agree success is measured differently.
Is it by having a phd, a nice car, nice house or making alot of money? Or just to be happy.
You can be really rich and lonely or you can live day to day but be really happy. Hmmmm there are people out there though who is both rich and happy.

So what is your definition of success?

As for sleepys question, I think he or she is wanting to know the happiness that is measured by education because he/she did not ask are you successful? :D

noungning

Heartless
it's kind of sad what i'm about to admit but it's the inevitable truth.

a degree doesn't matter... especially now. unless it is purely skilled work that you do such as mechanical, doctors, nurses, technicians, programmers and etc.

if you graduate in something with english, history, business and a bunch more... u're spun into the pile of unskilled unless you have experience and/or graduate from an ivy league school. with the whole experience crap, it's like the saying what comes first the egg or the chicken. the million dollar question, how the hell can you obtain experience when it's never given.

by the time it's our children's turn to strive thru their lives... a doctorate degree would probably be the equivalent to a bachelors. because right now, a bachelors is nothing but a piece of paper. <_<

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
it's kind of sad what i'm about to admit but it's the inevitable truth.

a degree doesn't matter... especially now. unless it is purely skilled work that you do such as mechanical, doctors, nurses, technicians, programmers and etc.

if you graduate in something with english, history, business and a bunch more... u're spun into the pile of unskilled unless you have experience and/or graduate from an ivy league school. with the whole experience crap, it's like the saying what comes first the egg or the chicken. the million dollar question, how the hell can you obtain experience when it's never given.

by the time it's our children's turn to strive thru their lives... a doctorate degree would probably be the equivalent to a bachelors. because right now, a bachelors is nothing but a piece of paper. <_<

You're right. It seems nothing can satisfy a human being. So what happens after everyone in their rightful mind has a PHD? hmmm I wonder what they will call for next.

Yup you're also right it's not just about the piece of paper. If you want a good career it's all about skills. I know lots of people with a masters degree who can't even get a job. How you carry yourself is as important as how much you know. Heck! There are alot of college drop outs that are successful. People really don't need to go to college to learn. The only thing I've really learn from going to college is time management. As for the learning part, I could have easily pick up a book and do it on my own. However, it is societies standard to be credible and the only way to show credibility is to have a college degree. That is if you are going to work for someone else. But if you are your own boss then heck who cares you may be the next billionaire with or without a degree. :D