Learning Thai help

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Quick question.
If you can already speak Thai, how hard would it be to learn to read and write it?

I'm considering this as one of my options to graduation. It's my very last option but seriously, I'm not going to spend another 2 years in college just to get my damn foreign language credits. I'm not getting any younger.

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Well, can't give you any definite answers since imo it's rather subjective.

But how about, rather very very easy? :D 100x easier than learning Spanish when you already know English?

You should go for it if it's that urgent.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Good to hear. :) It's about the only good news I've heard so far.
Well, Laotian isn't offered so Thai is my other option. It's so strange that they offer Khmer and Hmong language exams but don't offer Laotian.

Anyway, I'll give it a study and see how it goes before I ask them to order the test for me.
I still have a few other options to explore.

darvil

sarNie Adult
thai is something I've been meaning to learn myself but for some reason never finding the time to do so.

From what I hear, it should be really easy if you already know how to speak it.

shachibasha

psychotic
ohh ooohh i know how to speak thai from watching lakorns so when i wanted to learn how to read thai and write it it was really easy for me because i just recognize the thai letters then sound each of it out then if it sounds like a real word then i ask my mom if im correct...but mostly i try and learn from online which is really easy to

kumpangxruk

sarNie Adult
Reading is not so hard. My friend made me learn when I was in my senior year of HS. I have this book which was really great. It still takes me forever to read but then you see words here and there and you get what you're reading. Find some books from Barnes & Nobles or find a place to download that Rosetta Stone for Thai! LOL...that thing is so freaking expensive. I wanted to get the Mandarin Chinese one...over $300! Well good luck!

Thai karaoke helps too...or for practice I've used the songs from ethaimusic that I know and don't have any translations on them yet! Great tools!

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Reading is not so hard. My friend made me learn when I was in my senior year of HS. I have this book which was really great. It still takes me forever to read but then you see words here and there and you get what you're reading. Find some books from Barnes & Nobles or find a place to download that Rosetta Stone for Thai! LOL...that thing is so freaking expensive. I wanted to get the Mandarin Chinese one...over $300! Well good luck!

Thai karaoke helps too...or for practice I've used the songs from ethaimusic that I know and don't have any translations on them yet! Great tools!
HAHA Hell Yeah! That's what I did after I memorized all of the consonants and vowels and stuff. [Flashcards are MAGIC B) ] I KARAOKED. HAHA Brings back memories now. It was HS back then for me too. While you're learning, you're also enjoying yourself--that is if you enjoy singing as much as I do and is not embarassed about it--HAHA.

I was cheap tho. I didn't buy a book. I borrowed a book from the library since I was doing a lot of community service back then. But yeah. I'll confirm again like everyone. It's definitely not difficult to learn how to read/write Thai since since you understand it. I did it independently and arbitrarily the summer before my junior year in high school. I would say. Less than a month, you'll be proficient.

XCappy

Mr. Char
This is my must read : The Fundamentals of the Thai Language (5th Edition).

Though I'm not Thai, I don't know how good this book is for the Thai people (the book is a little bit old), but it was the only "book" I've found online with informations I wanted. And of course, good learners don't stick only to one book ;).

I can understand and say some Thai lines and can read Thai. But I can read more than I can understand, that sucks :D

Have fun and good luck for your option.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Thanks everyone!
Well, so far it sounds like my most sure option.
Hell, if I can take this test and waive my foreign language credits than I won't need to stay another semester and half. Which is great because it means I can graduate this semester!
But....I don't wanna get my hopes up, I still have back up ideas to consider and gotta talk to my advisor and see if waiving my foreign language is even an option.

noungning

Heartless
reading isn't hard as long as u put ur mind to it... one thing that gives u the advantage is understanding the language... just like anything else, if u understand what u are doing... it makes things easier.

like many, i've self taught myself... i've used primarily a thai-english dictionary, magazines and obsession lol.

learned it in about 3 months, and this was when internet was not providing all these useful tools to make it even easier to learn the language. so if i can learn with dictionary and magazines in 3 months, i think anyone can learn within 1 month with internet.

haha, but it's been years so i read, speak and type (can't really write) thai pretty fluently...but my spelling is a bit off sometimes lmao :p