Leehom Wang was in Laos!

dfemc

sarNie Adult
nooooooo way! when was this... oooh, he was my hearthrob too, do u have any linkies dear

dfemc

sarNie Adult
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=J__-yQsBW-o

here's the link

he also ate insect while he was there too, hehehe, he was talking about it at on of his concerts....lol...u have to check it out on utube
thnx 2cute2care. this is interesting. i haven't kept up with C-pop for quite some time. Lee Hom's mandarin has drastically improved a looot from when he first started singing. he pretty much grew up in the states and went to college in NY (or along the east coast somewhere), and plus, his primary chinese dialect is gwang dong (cantonese), so that's awesome that he's gotten this far with mandarin. it's kinda cool to see both cultures bridge, but i've always felt like China is inching around to indoctrinate Laos as another colony of its own. technically, rural China lives pretty much the same way as Laos, despite its modernization, and are still poor as well. so it's funny that they dramatize the way of life in Laos as if it's different and foreign especially on the level of poverty for the Chinese audience. with China's growing economy, there's lots of well-to-do young Chinese ppl who have never been exposed to this kind of rural hard-working lifestyle, but really it also exists in China as well.

i'm glad that Lee Hom seems to actually be genuine, though it's still a publicity stunt nonetheless.

interesting, interesting, thnx for sharing. Lee Hom is aging pretty well, still got the baby face thing going. nice :p

Liberty

sarNie Adult
thnx 2cute2care. this is interesting. i haven't kept up with C-pop for quite some time. Lee Hom's mandarin has drastically improved a looot from when he first started singing. he pretty much grew up in the states and went to college in NY (or along the east coast somewhere), and plus, his primary chinese dialect is gwang dong (cantonese), so that's awesome that he's gotten this far with mandarin. it's kinda cool to see both cultures bridge, but i've always felt like China is inching around to indoctrinate Laos as another colony of its own. technically, rural China lives pretty much the same way as Laos, despite its modernization, and are still poor as well. so it's funny that they dramatize the way of life in Laos as if it's different and foreign especially on the level of poverty for the Chinese audience. with China's growing economy, there's lots of well-to-do young Chinese ppl who have never been exposed to this kind of rural hard-working lifestyle, but really it also exists in China as well.

i'm glad that Lee Hom seems to actually be genuine, though it's still a publicity stunt nonetheless.

interesting, interesting, thnx for sharing. Lee Hom is aging pretty well, still got the baby face thing going. nice :p
He was born in Rochester, New York. Could've sworn I read somewhere that he grew up in Brooklyn. He went to college in NY too and attended a semester at Berklee to further his music studies. From what I've read his birth name is Alexander Wang, where does the Lee Hom come from?
He's very talented, I don't know many people who can pick up an instrument and start playing. He's a great singer and song writer too. I don't know about the publicity stunt part though. No matter where you go, if you're a celebrity someone's going to find you. Laos isn't completely rural I agree, I've never been there myself but from video footage of what my parents brought back it's not that bad in certain parts. But either way, it's good to have someone in the lime light visiting, it brings awareness to the parts that are rural. Publicity stunt or not. It's like how Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt decided to have their baby in Namibia. Not many people have heard of that place before that and aside from privacy, I think they chose that country for another reason as well and that's to help out with tourism.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
He was born in Rochester, New York. Could've sworn I read somewhere that he grew up in Brooklyn. He went to college in NY too and attended a semester at Berklee to further his music studies. From what I've read his birth name is Alexander Wang, where does the Lee Hom come from?
He's very talented, I don't know many people who can pick up an instrument and start playing. He's a great singer and song writer too. I don't know about the publicity stunt part though. No matter where you go, if you're a celebrity someone's going to find you. Laos isn't completely rural I agree, I've never been there myself but from video footage of what my parents brought back it's not that bad in certain parts. But either way, it's good to have someone in the lime light visiting, it brings awareness to the parts that are rural. Publicity stunt or not. It's like how Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt decided to have their baby in Namibia. Not many people have heard of that place before that and aside from privacy, I think they chose that country for another reason as well and that's to help out with tourism.
yeeups, he's a new yorker indeed. Lee Hom is his chinese name usually given at birth with the american names by the family. most of us are given american names, but we also have our chinese name, which is usually used when in the chinese community or among family. my chinese name was primarily used only at chinese school on weekends, while only a select few in the family also call me by it.

my concern wasn't about how they portrayed Lao to be poor and rural. i mean, if anything, it is that. but it's also the fact that some were content with living like that, not considering themselves poor, until much of the western world and other outsiders go in there and build this awareness and whole different level of standard (also known as relative disparity) that makes Laotian THINK they're poor, when all along it's a very simple life for them. like my gramps, he's a farmer, and he's perfectly content living that way and wouldn't want it any other way, and that's how it was for some. but now that ppl are aware of what's out there, they're like, "OH I'M POOR" especially with the younger kids. when in reality, they have a LOT. the nature is so abundant, and if they were to look for food, there's plenty of food around them if they were taught to appreciate SUSTAINABLE LIVING (where they were given enough knowledge on how to raise crops properly).

another point is that i find it hypocritical of CHINA, if Lee Hom is to represent China in this, which i don't think he is, he's more reppin' UNIVISION. nonetheless, any Chinese individual going in there and speaking of this issue of poverty will continue to disturb me, when China is also having it's own issues of rural poverty along with many environmental and human rights violations. it's just as god dang hypocritical as the U.S.

with that being said, i'm not suggesting that no one should do anything anywhere to avoid being a hypocrite. but it should done within the appropriate context, where the ppl are encouraged to be empowered to be the one committing change. not this whole OUTSIDER COME SAVE THE BROWN PEOPLE mentality. in other words, keep it behind the scene and put the ppl in the forefront. and yes, a celebrity's main power is FAME, and so their key accomplishment is based on EDUCATION & AWARENESS, that's all good, but encourage the true message to get out.

even Angelina Jolie & Bradd, i have my issues with them too. i love jolie from day one of her stardom, but still, who really knows anything about Nimbia other than the fact that Angelina had her baby there, c'mon.

so there's the big difference between a publicity stunt and true EDUCATION & AWARENESS.

okay, gosh, sorry, when i get talking, it ends up being a long ramble. :D