LOY KRA-TONG: FESTIVAL OF UNITY, LIGHT, AND HOPE

lilxgxriah

sarNie Adult

EMAIL: Medialoykratong@asianfestivaldc.com

U.S. CAPITOL REFLECTING POOL, NOV. 17, 2007, LOY KRA-TONG: FESTIVAL OF UNITY, LIGHT, AND HOPE

Washington, D.C,- Her Serene Highness Princess Vudhichalerm, the Thai–American community and Singha Corporation are proud to announce the 1st Annual “Loy Kra-Tong: Festival of Unity, Light, and Hope.� The FREE ADMISSION event is from 6-10 p.m. to celebrate and honor the full moon night of the 12th lunar month. The event will include cultural stage performances, Kra-Tong contest, and beauty pageant contest as well as distinguish guests from both the Thai and U.S. community. This is the 1st Loy Kra-Tong celebration in front of the U.S. Capitol Reflecting Pool and to benefit the Meridian International Center, where their mission is to promote international cultural exchange. www.meridian.org.

As a national tradition in Thailand, the floating of a 'Kra-Tong' – a banana–leaf cup – Evolved to its present day ritual of offering expressions of gratitude, wishes for good luck, or apologies to the Mae Khongkha, Mother of Waters, Some believe that the ritual originated with the Indian Ritual of "Deepavalee" which includes floating lights in an act of worship of the Brahmin gods. Others believe the ritual is meant to worship the Buddha's footprint on the bank of the Narmada River.

The Loy Kra-Tong Festival, also known as the "Festival of Lights" is celebrated nationwide in Thailand, especially where there are rivers and canals. As the full moon rises, people gather with their kra-tongs decorated with fresh flowers, candles and incense-and set them to float on the stream. Deemed one of the most breathtaking festivals in Thailand, Loy Kra-Tong is not to be missed. Wherever you happen to be, a celebration reflecting local customs and entertainment can be enjoyed.

For more information, to sponsor, apply for beauty contest at the Loy Kra-Tong Event in front of the U.S. Capitol, please contact Joanne Duangmanee at 703-589-4144 or email Joanne at medialoykratong@asianfestivaldc.com or www.asianfestivaldc.com

Pennsylvania Ave, between 1st and 3rd St. NE

Washington DC, 20002

Date/Time: Saturday, November 17, 2007

6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.

Parking: public parking available

--------------------------------------------------------------
if you're gonna post this somewhere else, please credit me =]

i think i'm goin!..hahaha...hey, does anyone know who Princess Vudhichalerm is? like any info and pics on her??

chi chi

sarNie Juvenile
wish I could attend the festival, but I'm like 12 hrs away!!! Usually I attend the July event but it has been 4 or 5 yrs since I went, just too far to drive!! Hope everyone enjoys it though!!

Diamend

sarNie Oldmaid
wow do they do dis every year? i live here and i haven't heard of it til now lol dats cool. but damn no time to go :(

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
awww...that seems cool...but too bad i'm all the way at cali...can't attend...but i'd love too see more pictures of it....

lilxgxriah

sarNie Adult
wow do they do dis every year? i live here and i haven't heard of it til now lol dats cool. but damn no time to go :(

i think they said this is their first year....you live in D.C???...yeah i'll prolly go and post pics up for you guys :D ...i wanna see this princess girl...never heard of her b4

lil_beckie

sarNie Adult
Does anyone know when the one in Sydney will be on?

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Hey thanks for sharing the news. November 17th, so this Saturday. Yay Thanksgiving break starts. What wonderful timing. Thanks again.

Muddie Murda

smile...
OMG the photo of the kratong is soooo beautiful! T____T
I wish i could attend. Looks so fun!!!!!!!!
I'm too far away though. Someone take photos! :D

mc2004

sarNie Hatchling
just curious if anyone went...my aunt and uncle went...they love it...

Rakniran

For those that went.Please post a pics.
I was gonna go ,but my fiancee busy with work.Plus
his too lazy to drive six hours.lol