Lub Hmo Hli Nra – The Night’s Moonlight (Light ray).

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
I actually like your idea though PhoneO_5. Because I'm having a headache making Muaj Tsheeb trust Hli Nra. He's so hot headed.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays everyone.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 8

*In Hmong culture if you meet a stranger, according to what age you think they are you have to greet them as though they’re related*

Pog: “The van wouldn’t start so he went to fetch some mechanic tool at the shed in the worker’s shelter area. You two didn’t meet up on the way?”

Hli Nra: “I don’t remember seeing anyone, aunt.” Muaj Tsheeb’s pog got out of the car, Hli Nra could see her struggling. So in concern she went to aid her. “Let me help you.” She slid a hand under her arm and helped her down.

Pog: “Thank you dear. I just felt a little light headed there.”

Hli Nra: “Maybe waiting in the car for a long time and finally coming out to see the sunlight, your eyes are just adjusting to the different light settings, that’s why you feel that way. I’m just in a few minutes you’ll feel better.”

Pog: “You’re probably right.” She looks around “He’s sure taking a long time. The mansion is just right there so we can just walk toward it.”

Hli Nra: “I guess that’ll be the best thing to do, if you stay here too long you might get a heat stroke.” She thinks Muaj Tsheeb’s grandma was just a special guest like the many who been coming there for the past few days.

Pog: “Can you help me close the doors?”

Hli Nra: “Sure.” She slid the door close as they headed up the road.

Pog: “Ah. It feels good to walk. I never thought I can still walk like this.”

Hli Nra: “If you never try something you’ll never know. You’ll have to walk around once in awhile to exercise your arms and legs and keep your blood flow going at a neutral pace.”

Pog: “You speak differently from my grand son and grand daughther, they want me to lie down and rest all the time.”

Hli Nra: “They’re probably just worried about you.”

Pog: “Worried ? I say they just want me to lie there and never wake up.”

Hli Nra: “Aunty don’t say such thing. They might just want you to rest there so they know where you are at all times, so they know where to find you. You know these young children these days, they never follow the elders anywhere so when one is lost, they can’t figure out which place to look first.”

Pog: “Do you know where to look for an elder?”

Hli Nra: “It differ from person to person, but I would guess the garden.”

Pog: “Why the garden?”

Hli Nra: “Though the cycle of life between a human and a flower are comparable, viewing the cycle of life through a flower is more beautiful. It gives a elderly person a sense of relief that death isn’t a bad thing because you’ll be reborn and have youth again, just like the seed of a wither flower that will seep itself in the soil and once bloom brightly. For some elders when their children and grand children grow older and go off their own ways, they have no one to give their affection to, so they give it to the plants, plants are like a person’s own children, they need care, love, and warmth to grow and to live.”

Pog: “You think so deep dear.” They had talked the way to the mansion making the time seem so short.

Hli Nra: “We’re here.”

Pog: “Usually Aunt Mee is with me, but today she is out in the city running some errands, there’s no one but me here.”

Hli Nra: “Uh. You live in this house?”

Pog: “Oh right. I haven’t introduced myself to you. I’m the elder lives in this mansion. I’m Muaj Tsheeb’s Pog, you can call me that from now on.”

Hli Nra: “I think, maybe, I’ll have to leave now.” She turns around and was about to leave but thought about Muaj Tsheeb’s pog’s word about her being the only one home. “Aunty…uh…Pog. So there’s no servant in the house?”

Pog: “If there were they would had greeted me right now.”

Hli Nra: “I’ll wait with you until they arrive then I’ll leave. But I don’t know what to do with these food.”

Pog: “The food you brought was supposed to be meant for me.”

Hli Nra: “I’ll get them set up for you then.” They headed into the house

At the main road Muaj Tsheeb recognize the van that parked at the road entrance of the workers shelter and stops his car. He got out to see a frantic chauffeur.

Muaj Tsheeb: “What’s going on here? Is my grandma here?”

Chauffeur: “I just left her here for a bit, I didn’t think she’ll disappear like this.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Did you check at home?”

Chauffeur: “I haven’t checked, I don’t think she’ll go there yet because Aunt Mee had left to take ring to the jewelry today so there’s no one with her.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “What about the lower status maids, aren’t they home?”

Chauffeur: “They out to buy household supplies.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “You know my grandma is alone why did you leave her.”

Cahuffeur: “I thought this is your property nothing will happen.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Yes this is my property but look how huge it is, even I can get lost in it. Keep searching I’ll head to the house.”

After lunch, Hli Nra sat Pog on the sofa because she was complaining that her legs were being sore.

Hli Nra: “Would you mind if I massage it?”

Pog: “Do you know how?”

Hli Nra: “The level of expertise isn’t as great as those who have a massaging certificate, but it’s decent.”

Pog: “Go ahead then.” Hli Nra helps lay her down on the sofa before she starts massaging her leg.

Pog shuts her eyes and relaxes. It wasn’t before long that she fell asleep. Hli Nra gets up and slightly shuts the curtain blind to hide the sun beams so Pog could nap peacefully. She then headed toward the door.

A car screeched outside and within a second Muaj Tsheeb speed inside the house. He was surprised to see Hli Nra. He looks over her shoulder and saw his grandma sleeping peacefully.

Pog: “Who’s stomping so loud?” She opens her eyes and slid herself into a sitting position.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Kuv pog, why did you let the chauffeur know where you were going? You got us all worked up.”

Pog: “He took too long to get things to fix the car so I came home first. Lucky I found this girl to accompany me back home.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “What a coincidence…” He says sarcastically. “Don’t you have work to do?” He spoke to Hli Nra.

Hli Nra: “Right. I do have some unfinished business.”

Pog: “Why are you such in a hurry to brush her off?” She says with an annoyed tone, but when she turns to Hli Nra she spoke gently. “Me ntxhais, will you help take me to my room before you leave? Hli Nra looks at Muaj Tsheeb and could see his disapproval already.

Hli Nra: “If that’s what you want, I can’t oppose.” She excused herself from Muaj Tsheeb’s sight and went to Pog’s side to help her to her feet.

Pog: “Muaj Tsheeb, stop standing there like an idiot and help grab my diabetes pills from the medicine cabinet.” She spoke as Hli Nra lead her away. “Ruin my sleep…” She complains.

In Pog’s room Hli Nra quickly puffed the pillow. Just as she laid her down to rest and sat by the bed side with Pog, Muaj Tsheeb walks in.

Pog: “Did you bring a warm cup of water too?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Here is your pill and a cup of warm water.” He sat on the bed side across from Hli Nra.

Pog: “Give it to the girl.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Why do you want me to reach over and give it to her when I can just give it to you myself?”

Pog: “You’re a very busy person. I don’t want to waste your time.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Don’t say such things. Are you trying to say I don’t care about you enough to give you some spare time?”

Pog: “You already know the answer why ask?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Did you eat already?”

Pog: “I already had lunch so now I need my pill.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Here you go.” He placed the pill in her palm.

Pog puts the pill in her mouth and grabs the cup of water in Muaj Tsheeb’s hand. She carefully tip the cup toward her mouth to help her swallow down the pill and handed the cup back to Muaj TSheeb who putted it by the table at the bedside. Pog coughs a little choking on her saliva.

Hli Nra: “Are you alright, ma’am?”

Pog: “I told you to call me Pog earlier.”

Hli Nra: “Okay, Pog.”

Pog: “How impolite of me. I haven’t asked you about your name.”

Hli: “I…”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Her name is Hli.”

Pog: “I didn’t ask you why you are so quick to answer.”

Hli Nra: “Muaj Tsheeb is right my name is Hli.”

Pog: “Are you sure, only one syllable name? Hmong people’s name there’s usually two to three syllables. For example someone’s name can’t just be Hnub, it has to be Nkauj Hnub, or Hnub Ci.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “I think you should rest Pog, you’re thinking too much.”

Pog: “You sure want to push me away don’t you? If you don’t like being here I’m not forcing you.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Why do everything I say you always take it the negative way.”

Pog: “Because it is that way.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “I only worried that’s why I want you to rest. To know someone’s name or have any other discussion could wait.”

Pog: “You want me to rest? To sleep so I can never wake up from my slumber?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Pog, I only have good intention.” They were beginning to get heated up as Pog was about to get up from the bed.

Hli Nra: “Pog, don’t think like that.” She held onto her arm to keep her from getting up. “Muaj Tsheeb may speak in an annoyed tone like that, but I’m sure he means well. You can’t expect much toward a child who spent half his life in America, it’s hard for them to adapt kind of manners that the elders like.” She can see Pog calmed down. “You’re still young, that won’t happen to you. Look, you were still able to walk all the way here with me and I didn’t even see a sign of exhaustion. Beside that you even had a fine appetite, trust me you still have a long way ahead. Like they say the more you frown the more you age faster, so please don’t be angry, or you will lose your beauty.”

Pog: “Alright then.” She sweetly talked to Hli Nra. “Thank you for your time staying with me here. Me ntxhais Hli, I’m ready to take a peaceful beauty sleep. Can you help grab me the blanket other there.”

Hli Nra: “Sure thing.” As Pog laid herself on the bed and closed her eyes as she laid her hands on her stomach. Hli Nra head to the foot of the bed to get the blanket.

Both Hli Nra and Muaj Tsheeb went around the foot of the bed. Just as Hli Nra grabbed the blanket and declines she can feel her back pressed against Muaj Tsheeb’s chest as he stood close behind her.

Muaj Tsheeb: “I’ll do it.” He whispers in her ears.

Pog: “I believe I ask me ntxhais Hli to do it. Leave it to her.” Though she didn’t have to look she knows he was stalling her.

Muaj Tsheeb: “What kind of nephew would I be if I don’t help out in this kind of situation? I don’t want to be accused of not caring for my only grandma.” He and Hli Nra held one corner of the blanket as they pulled it over Pog. They were fixing the blanket when Muaj Tsheeb purposely puts his hand on top of hers and wouldn’t let go.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Love that Pog likes Hli Nra. The end of this chapter :thumbsup:

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Sorry, ceda_lee. I'll try to get the next chapter up this week so you can read on the weekend. I wasn't sure to post it up yet because I have the tendency of going back and changing stuff.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 9

Hli Nra: “The blanket looks well fixed already.” She tugs but he still had his clutched on top of her hand.

Mauj Tsheeb: “This side isn’t straighten yet.” Hli Nra use her other hand and flatten one section of the blanket.

Hli Nra: “It’s fixed already.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Really?” He waited a few seconds before he finally loosens his clutch.

Pog: “You are free to visit when you have time.” She told Hli Nra. “Farewell, dear.” She was already dosing off.

Hli Nra: “Sleep well.”

Hli Nra waited till Pog looked relaxed before she hesitantly walks around Muaj Tsheeb and headed out the door. He follows a few steps behind. There was a bit awkwardness as they walk down the long hallway. When she turns the corner Muaj Tsheeb quickly turns with her causing her to bump into the wall as his both his arms hover around her blocking her way.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Uh-umg.” He clears his throat.

He gives her a cunning smirk when he lower his eyes to gaze at her lips and then at her eyes. Hli Nra gulped and curled herself against the wall as he teased her leaning down inch by inch closer to her. But he quickly moves his head to the side as he clicks the thermometer hygrometer and lowered and shut off the air conditioner since it was getting too cold.

Muaj Tsheeb: “I’m not going to hurt you.”

Hli Nra: “I only accompanied your grandma here, no important words were exchange.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “I know nothing was discussed, otherwise she wouldn’t be able to sleep like that.” He thought for a moment. “But was it a coincidence that you two met or…”

Hli Nra: “Don’t imply such thing, Niam Lwm Xeeb asked me to bring food to Pog. I assure you I only have well intention for her.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “We have so many cooks in the house, why is Pog eating food that’s meant for the workers.”

Hli Nra: “I don’t have the answer to that.” She turns hoping he moves his arm but he still had it up, she slightly bumps into it. “Remove your arm so I can get through.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “You can’t expect much toward a child who spent half his life in America, it’s hard for them to adapt kind of manners that the elders like? He slightly brushes his finger across her nose. “If you know those manners, why aren’t you using them so I can learn a few things.”

Hli Nra: “Please, remove your arm so I can get through.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “That’s all? Just use please in every sentence, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out.”

Hli Nra: “The stage of learning now to say thank you, please, and sorry is more suitable for you, considering that you have ill manners like a toddler. Will you remove your hand? I don’t want anyone to see us and get the wrong impression.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “That’s what you want isn’t it?” She stomps on his toe. He stumbles into the opposite wall. Just as Hli Nra was about to make her way through the living room he had caught her gently tugged her against him. Her arms were stuck in between her chest and his chest. She tried to squeeze them out. “You’re not so tough now huh.” She squeals a little and he reminds her that his Pog is sleeping in the room so she kept quiet. She stepped on his feet again and manages to twist herself around. Her back arched against his chest as she crouch a bit trying to catch sight of his feet. His arms were tight around her stomach. “What can you do now?” He teased as he moved his legs aside as she tried to step on his feet.

Hli Nra: “Release me right now.” She whispered. The more she attempt the more he laughed.

Suddenly they hear noises in the distance and focus their attention toward the door. In came Aunt Mee and another servant who had just arrived from grocery shopping. They were just sliding off their shoe and looking down. Muaj Tsheeb loosened his grip and Hli Nra pulled out of his hold. When Aunt Mee looked up all she saw was the two standing together in the middle of room looking suspicious. Muaj Tsheeb was tense as he pretend to look around. Hli Nra hurriedly excuse herself.

Aunt Mee: “What was she doing here?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “I’d like to know why you weren’t here cooking and grandma had to fetch some food from the worker’s shelter.” He turns the tables.

That late evening, Muaj Tsheeb was working in his office when Tsab came to give him the evaluation sheets. The workers wore uniforms according to the dress code, being nice and had courtesy when customers tour around the plantation. Everyone knew their routine and did it well. There were no injuries to any workers.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Perfect?”

Tsab: “Yes.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “I feel you’re hiding something from me.”

Tsab: “There is something out of place but it’s just a small issue we can get it resolve.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Even if it’s small I need to know about. You’re supposed to be my eyes and ears at the farm, if you’re not doing your job, I shouldn’t be hiring you.”

Tsab: “My mother had transfer Hli Nra’s resting area from the main shelter to the little hut at your private garden.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Why did she do that without my permission?”

Tsab: “Hli Nra requested it.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “And your mother approve of it without consulting me?”

Tsab: “I didn’t know about this until earlier today. Hli Nra does come back to the main shelter to do her daily routine but mainly my mother assigned her to take care of your private garden and take care of the animals. Since we were evaluating the employees my mother didn’t want people’s personally feelings to get the best of them.

Muaj Tsheeb: “What do you mean by that?”

Tsab: “Some workers were beginning to feel like Hli Nra…” He was hesitant. “They believe that…”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Just tell me.”

Tsab: “After that one day both you and Nuj Tsim visit Hli Nra, people were coming to their own conclusion about her way of earning money. The atmosphere was getting intense Hli Nra didn’t want a bad vibe to go around while your customers were there touring around this past few days, so at night she headed to rest in the hut at your private garden.” Muaj Tsheeb puts the papers onto the table.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Where is she now?”

Tsab: “At your private farm.” Muaj Tsheeb immediately dash off.

Tsab was worried so he chase after him. Muaj Tsheeb’s Pog was drinking an herbal tea and looking out the window at the evening sky when she felt Muaj Tsheeb rushed past behind her.

Pog: “What’s going on, he has work this late and on a saturday?” She turns around to see him disappear out the door. “Tsab what’s going on?” She stops Tsab in his steps.

Tsab: “Pog , I don’t know either.”

Aunt Mee: “Tsab. Are you sure you’re not keeping something from us?” She walks in with a small bag.

Tsab: “Uh…” He scratches his head.

Aunt Mee: “As a kid Muaj Tsheeb never liked going to the farm. Even if you were his childhood friend Tsab, he won’t even come visit you there. But when that girl arrived here, he went almost every day. Not only that but he even allow himself to get dirty, especially when he hates getting soiled the most.”

Pog: “That girl, which girl are you referring to, aunt Mee?”

Aunt Mee: “You didn’t see her Pog, it was the new girl employee that Naim Lwm Xeeb missed introducing us too.”

Pog: “Hli?” She remembers that name because it meant the moon which comes around every night.

Aunt Mee: “Yes her.”

Pog: “Is she the one who had been making the meals I’ve been eating?” When Hli Nra left the other day, she had paid another visit to the farm. While she was there Niam Lwm Xeeb had packed her some stirred fried vegetable with pork which she really loved. And afterward she started having Niam Lwm Xeeb bring those food for her to eat. “What does that girl have to do with Muaj Tsheeb, Tsab?”

Tsab: “I swear I don’t know anything.”

At the farm, Muaj Tsheeb walks casually toward the works shelter area as Niam Lwm Xeeb came out to greet him. He was full of composure, he tells her he had a little business to discuss with the workers so have them gather up. Once they all arrive Muaj Tsheeb interrogates them for a long while.

Muaj Tsheeb: “In all gossip, there’s always a starter and after hearing what everyone’s got to say, the main source had lead to you.” He glared at a younger lady in the crowd.

Women: “If it’s not true why had she blindly made you come here to talk to us like this?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “If she was as awful as you claim, wouldn’t she had came here with me to watch you being badger by me? An awful women as you claim she is would not throw away such an opportunity, don’t you think?”

Women: “That doesn’t take away the fact that she causes you to give her an excuse for a day off.

Muaj Tsheeb: “About earlier in the days when I took Hli Nra, it was for the reason of visiting the doctor The bag of medicine she brought back should be proof enough.”

Women: “She should have told us instead of making us wonder that she’s prostituting herself.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “What did you say?” The girl grew quiet, since Muaj Tsheeb’s voice grew tough. “I thought so.” He looks at her sternly. “Only a bad person would have such bad thoughts (Yog ib tug neeg phem, ces yeej xav phem).” He glared at the girl.

Niam Lwm Xeeb: “Just this little situation, you should let it slip?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “If you let something continue to rot, not long maggots will fall onto the soil and ruin the crops.” He looks at each and one of the workers. “Even though we are in different status, my family has always treated it’s workers equally. Yet people of the same status, you can’t all treat each other with respect? When you look down upon one of your own workers here, you’ll be looking down on Vaj Meej Rice Plantation due to the fact that you’re suppose to put your work among all priority. By firing this person sets an example to all that I do not take any ill-gossips lightly. Remember, those who labor in Vam Meej Rice Fields are the heart and soul of the land. These fields thrive on the love and trust of the people caring for it. When people can’t get along here it’s like a never ending storm upon the land.” His speech reminded Niam Lwm Xeeb of his father. She hadn’t realized that Muaj Tsheeb had already grown so much. “If a person no longer has the intention of working and taming the soil, they shouldn’t be working here any longer. Everything that I am doing is for the sake of my rice fields and its’ reputation. I don’t have to say anything more, just this little lecture you guys should understand already. You all can be dismissed.” He turns to look at Niam Lwm Xeeb. “Bring Hli Nra back to the main shelter, you can’t leave a worker unsupervised.”

The girl that got scold could only feel rage, if Hli Nra didn’t snitch then Muaj Tsheeb couldn’t had came to yell at her. She never liked Hli Nra, since she arrived all the attention were directly at her.

Hli Nra had finish counting to see if all the animals were in its table when she headed back to the private hut. When arriving there she saw that a fire was already built and a pot on top of it. She was about to walk into the hut but heard some ravaging noises inside so she took a stick of wood that was in the wood pile and got ready to whack whatever came out the door step. She was just getting in position sticking the stick out when the person walked into it and hit the wood hard.

Hli Nra: “Don’t blame me, it’s your own fault for walking into the stick.” The guy had crouch down and was rubbing his forhead. “Muaj Tsheeb, what business do you have to come here?” She chuckles a little. “You call me clumsy but you don’t see yourself.” The man slightly turns his face toward her. When she realized who it was she immediately got up. She couldn’t figure out herself why she thought it was Muaj Tsheeb, she must had gotten so use to him visiting and teasing her.

Nuj Tsim: “I won’t blame you.” He checked if his forehead was busted open or not. There was no blood in his palm his forehead was sore. “Hli Nra, are you doing well?” She took her stick of wood and went toward the fire to throw it into it. Nuj Tsim follows her.

x_xshinx_x

sarNie Hatchling
>....< this is getting good!!~ i see some spark of Muaj Tsheeb!! He's showing some feeling for her now!~ even though he is still so so heartless... i was going to comment earlier, but i decide to catch up on the reading before commenting it all together!~
So, I LOVE LOVE the trailer!~ it sounded AND looked so REAL that i thought it was real at first! XD it was well made!~ i liked it a LOT!~ ^^

CAN'T wait for more!!~

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 10

Hli Nra: “I’m doing fine. It’s just the way you see it right now.”

Nuj Tsim: “I thought you would never talk to me again.”

Nuj Tsim: “Oh…my porridge.” He rushed to the fireplace and placed his hand on the handle. “Ouch…” He rubs his palms against his thighs.

Hli Nra: “What’s wrong with you, you know the handle would be hot.”

She uses a branch and slid it through the handle as she took it out of the fire. The stuff inside was still bubbling which caused the lid to shake. When it cooled down a bit she took the lid off and fans the food inside.

Nuj Tsim: “It’s chicken and rice porridge, your favorite.”

Hli Nra got up and went to sit on the wooden bamboo bench. He grabs his bag of spoon and garnish by the fire side and carries the little pot over, putting it in the middle of them.

Nuj Tsim: “Do you remember there was one night we eaves drop and heard your step mother discussing about her future son in law? She had said that if she finds a rich mate she’ll come up with whatever method to catch him for your step sister. That you night we talked and you mention that if you had a rice girl friend your step mother will ask them for money and gifts on behalf of you and if you had a rich guy friend your step mother will force him to marry your sister. So you’ll never wish to befriend a rich person in your entire life. On the same night I intended to tell you my true status when you had told me those words. I was afraid you might push me away.” He looks at the pot and start stirring the porridge. “It should be warm to the touch by now, why don’t you eat?” He handed her the spoon she took it and continue stirring it. “How are you supposed to be full when just looking at it like that…” Hi Nra shuts him up by putting a spoon full in his mouth.

Hli Nra: “You know how I hate eating alone. Hurry up.” She grabs another spoon from the plastic bag along with the garnish, parley and green onion. She sprinkles the garnish on top of the porridge and used her spoon to scrape up a little porridge for a quick taste test. “I’m surprised it’s not burnt as usual.”

Nuj Tsim: “It took many attempts before I actually got the hang of it.”

Hli Nra: “It’s good.” She took another taste.

Nuj Tsim: “Of course, I learn from the best.” He can see Hli Nra curve a little smile. “Just seeing your smile and the moon above seem to be lightening up brighter tonight.

Hli Nra: “The moon is almost full, that means the month is ready to end.” She stares above in relief.

When the two finished the porridge they bought fought over washing the dish.

Hli Nra: “I’ll do this.” She snatched his spoon and put it in the pot with hers.

Nuj Tsim: “Let me do it.”

Hli Nra: “I said I’ll do it.” They both got up and leaned to grab the pot. Hli Nra had her hands on the handles while Nuj Tsim had it under the pot. “You must be busy, so you can get going.”

Nuj Tsim: “I’m not busy.”

Hli Nra: “Don’t you think your trespassing a bit?”

Nuj Tsim: “No matter where you are I’ll find a way to get there even if people are against it. Don’t you remember when we where children I would always sneak to help you cultivated the farm so it’ll be done faster even if your step mother forbid.”

Hli Nra: “You were always chased out.” She smiles remembering the old days.

Nuj Tsim: “I was lucky I had good reflexes otherwise the rocks that were throw at me would have hit me every time. Imagine if they had hit me, kuv lub ntsej muag thiab lub cev yuav ob pob everwhere, I’d look like a toad.” He was enlighted to see her smile again. Just then both of them heard a familiar voice in the distance.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Don’t you two have any shame?” Nuj Tsim and Hli Nra now focused their attention toward Muaj Tsheeb who arrogantly walk toward them. Hli Nra took the dishes from Nuj Tsim in order to move her hand away from his. Muaj Tsheeb stops a few steps infront of them. “So this is the reason you agree to this position without any opposition.” He glares at Hli Nra.

Nuj Tsim: “I’m the one who came here to meet her. Anything you want to say should be directed at me.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Yes you came to meet her, but she didn’t resist did she?”

Nuj Tsim: “Muaj Tsheeb, don’t you have any respect for other people.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “If I had respected you two and didn’t come out to reveal my presence, who would knew how far it would had gone, from holding hands to…”

Hli Nra: “Stop.” Nuj Tsim was about to retialate but she stops him. Muaj Tsheeb turns to speak to Hli Nra.

Muaj Tsheeb: “You said you didn’t have any ill-intention toward Pog but you’re ruing a plan of hers.” She didn’t understand him. “Being here in my private land theirs is no eyes upon you, therefore you think you can do anything degrading you want without anyone knowing?” He can see Nuj Tsim being irritated. “How many other man had you invited here to do your dirty deeds?” Nuj Tsim was going to launch at him but Hli Nra stops him by jumping infront of him to keep him from launching at Muaj Tsheeb.

Hli Nra: “I expect those people to tell you the number of men already. You trust them more than I.” Muaj Tsheeb took a deep breath. She turned to Nuj Tsim. “Nuj Tsim. You can go home.”

Nuj Tsim: “Why is it like this?” He whisper quietly to Hli Nra but Muaj Tsheeb could hear.

Hli Nra: “If there’s anything that is needed to be say, will do it another day.”

Nuj Tsim: “But Hli Nra…”

Hli Nra: “I’ve told you many times before, if you make me feel like I’m a burden to you, I’ll…”

Nuj Tsim: “Don’t say it anymore…I’ll go.” He was about to leave but Muaj Tsheeb gave him some words to think about.

Muaj Tsheeb: “It won’t be long before my sister return from her vacation, don’t be so reckless.” He smirks when Nuj Tsim turns to look at Hli Nra’s reaction. She was stun. “Didn’t you say you were going to leave?” Nuj Tsim still stared at her.

Hli Nra: “She should be happy to have a person like you, Nuj Tsim. Go home and rest.” He reluntantly left.

Muaj Tsheeb: “You don’t know how to be mad?”

Hli Nra: “What is there to be mad about?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “That you’re his mistress.”

Hli Nra: “You’re too funny.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “You’re saying I got you two all wrong? Before you told me you were aware of my intention of making Nuj Tsim jealous.”

Hli Nra: “Are you crazy? As a friend, Nuj Tsim is used to shielding me from pain and with you here, he feels like he’s unable to do so. I wanted you to stop making him feel worthless.” She thought for a moment. “The imaginations you had caused others to imply on me aren’t enough…” She said calmly. “You had to come here and inflict the pain on me yourself.” He was struck by her words.

Muaj Tsheeb: “You think I purpose came here to make people think badly about you? He couldn’t say an utter a word to why he did really come. Especially coming and had somewhat spoke on behalf of her protecting her from the accusations of the workers. “I’m not here to stir up problems. I came to…” He didn’t want to tell her what he just did. “If I didn’t arrived I wouldn’t had known about the situation here. You always argue with me about me being wrong about you yet when others do it you don’t defend yourself.”

Hli Nra: “It’s not necessary to make a small problem bigger than it what it really is. Argueing with the other workers would have created an uncomfortable atomosphere for all of us. Especially at a time that your customers were coming to tour the farm.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Are you that considerate?” He thought quietly. “Why are you staring at me like that.”

Hli Nra: “You’re such a hyprocrite.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “What?”

Hli Nra: “To assume someone doesn’t have well intention toward Pog because they want to ruin her plan. You might as well be one of them as you had changed the contract without her approval.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “I hate this kind of set up marriage.”

Hli Nra: “This means you don’t even care about your grandma nor you sister. You don’t care if your actions hurt people even the closest ones to you as long as you get what you want. You won’t allow yourself to be stuck in an arrange marriage but for your sister, you continue to pressure her relationship to go well. You don’t really care whether her future is for better or worst as long as you can tear Nuj Tsim apart and be the dominate one. You’re selfish.” She can see his jaw clutched.

They both heard footsteps and look off in the distance. Niam Lwm Xeeb came over to tell Hli Nra something but since Muaj Tsheeb was there it saved her the trouble of calling him later.

Niam Lwm Xeeb: “Uh…” Muaj Tsheeb loosing up. “The girl who usually took care of the private farm had her vacation off and won’t be back until the end of the month, which is in a couple of weeks. So how would you like to settle this?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Leave her working here feeding the animals during the morning. During the afternoon she’ll be back working at the fields with the rest of the workers until night fall. One thing though, she won’t be the cook anymore.” He didn’t want her near his grandma.

Niam Lwm Xeeb: “But Muaj Tsheeb. With Hli Nra cooking I haven’t heard any complaints like before.” Muaj Tsheeb’s eye fixed at Hli Nra.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Find another cook.”

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 11

The next day, Hli Nra finished working vigorously at the rice fields with the rest of the workers. From time to time she saw a flash but didn’t know where it was coming from. She ignored it and finished her work. That night she set outside for a job hunt. Upon going to place to place she bumped into an old friend.

Huab Cua: “Hli Nra. I haven’t seen you for the longest.”

Hli Nra: “After we graduated we went our separate ways. Oh...have you brought your voice to stardom yet?”

Huab Cua: “I’m working on it. Anyway why are you here?”

Hli Nra: “I’m trying to find a small job to pay off…” she stops herself. “Off some small debts, that’s all.”

Huab Cua: “At the place I’m working at needs waitress, would you be interested?”

Hli Nra: “Anything little helps.”

Huab Cua: “Great. You can come with me.”

At the restaurant, they served food and played live music. Huab Cua was one of the singers there. After filling out an application and getting hired on the spot, she was set to work in the next few days on the night shift. She was very happy as she head out she wasn’t looking where she was going and bumps into someone.

Hli Nra: “Tsab, why are you here?”

Tsab: “Um…”

Hli Nra: “Have you…have you been following me?”

Tsab: “Me? No, never.” He scratches his head. “But let me drive you back home since we’re headed out to the same place.”

The next day was a weekend but Muaj Tsheeb’s photographer still came by to presents to him some pictures he took of his fields and the workers. He had to sort out the best to be put into their yearly calendar. Muaj Tsheeb’s grandma walks in ackwnoledges the beautiful photography. The photographer looks through his pile and found a picture that he was very proud of. He shows it to Muaj Tsheeb’s grandma. “The traditional uniform that the workers wear is a beautiful attire alongside the colors of the fileds.” The photographer pick out out that he thought should be the cover of the calendar. It was of Hli Nra looking into the distance as the sun ray beamed down at her, almost making her sparkle. Muaj Tsheeb’s grandma saw that he denied almost all pictures that had Hli in it. She also notices another picture of Hli Nra on the table where she was leaning down to cut the rice something hung down from her neck. She could recognize that ring from a mile away. She went outside and talked to Aunt Mee asking her when Muaj Tsheeb asked her to repolish his father’s ring did she return it to him yet. Aunt Mee tells her she was appointed to pick it up later that day so no one had their hands on it. “I need to speak to Hli, or should I say…Hli Nra.” Aunt Mee was surprised as she also knew of Pog and that men’s agreement.

Later that night, Muaj Tsheeb got home and found his grandmother arguing with a familiar voice in the living room. He turned the corner to see her little sister and her luguages. She had just return from her vacation.

Ntsa Iab: “Pog why did you do that? How could you just cut off the credit card, forcing me to come home.”

Pog: “Your repetitive excuse is starting to irritate me. First you wanted to go to China then to Korea then to India, then so on…did you think I am that stupid, I wouldn’t figure out you were doing this to prolong the wedding date.”

Ntsa Iab: “You know I never liked Nuj Tsim, why are you forcing me.”

Pog: “I already given you a choice, if you wanted your share of the inheritance you were to marry Nuj Tsim. If you didn’t want to marry Nuj Tsim, he’ll get your inheritance, and you’ll be left with whatever he decides to give you.”

Ntsa Iab: “I wasn’t left with much of a choice.”

Pog: “But you choosed your own path.”

Ntsa Iab: “Brother Muaj Tsheeb…” She looks around and found him behind her. She ran to his side. “Can you please help me out. Truthfully, you don’t even want us that’s why after the incident you sent Muaj Tsheeb abroad and had already promised me to Nuj Tsim.”

Pog: “You two…were in this together? Set up the vacation to prolong the wedding. What else did you tell Muaj Tsheeb, Ntsa Iab?” She notices their close bond.

Ntsa Iab: “Brother Muaj Tsheeb deserves to know what was happening at home. You not only prepared my future but his as well.”

Pog: “You two plan to retaliate against me?” She was beginning to quaver badly. “I’m doing this for your own good.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “For our own good or your own good?”

Pog: “You’re questioning my authority?” She said in anger as her jaw clutched in disbelief. “As your legal guardian, you should listen to me as you would with your parents.”

Ntsa Iab: “No one could ever replace them, not even you.”

Pog: “Ntsa iab!” She raised her voice. “Living with me for so long and always seeing my face everyday tired you two out hasn’t it? You two must want me to leave like your parents.” She quickly put her hand against her chest when she felt she was loosing breathes. “You’re parents always left the discipline to me that’s why you see me as this evil wtich. You two can never dive deep enough into my thoughts to understand why I did this.”

Muaj Tsheeb and Ntsa Iab: “Pog!” They ran to the old lady side.

Aunt Mee: “Pog.” She held onto the old lady as she lean on her. “Calm down and catch your breath.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “We need to get you to a hospital.”

Pog: “This is what you two want. Let it happen, with me gone, your life will be happier, you can do what you pleased.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Nonsense.” He carries his Pog to the car with Ntsa Iab and Aunt Mee following not far behind.

Ntsa Iab slid herself in the backseat. Just as Muaj Tsheeb put his Pog in Ntsa Iab’s arms the chauffeur had ran out toward him.

Chauffeur: “Boss, boss!” He came running as though terrified.

Muaj Tsheeb: “What is it?! Can’t you see my grandma is sick?!” He sticks his head out of the car door. Pog leans on Ntsa Iab’s shoulder still trying to catch her breath.

Chauffeur: “The workers shelter area…it’s…its…”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Spit it out!” He yells.

Chauffeur: “It’s on fire.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “What was that?”

Chauffeur: “The workers shelter area is in flames.” Muaj Tsheeb turns back to look at his pog. He didn’t want to leave her side.

Pog: “Go…” She coughed up the word so silently. “I said go!” She finally found strength to spurt it out.

Muaj Tsheeb told the Chauffeur to rush his grandma to the hospital if she doesn’t make it there he’ll be held responsible. He watches the car speed off as he ran to their spare car. He opens the car door and took a glance at the smoke in the distance in concern before getting in and heading there.

Muaj Tsheeb ran there and saw the panic in everyone’s eyes as they gather any buckets and bowls they could find to scoop water and kill the fire. Luckily there was a stream nearby the area so it made it self convience to them. He also found a bucket to help them put it out. It was almost put out within a few minutes. However someone shriek and pointed in the distance. “Isn’t that smoke coming from the private farm?!” Muaj Tsheeb looks over and saw it as well. “What the hell is going on?!” someone else shouted.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Hli Nra!” It was all he could think of. As he ran toward it his legs were so shaken he feel a few times heading there.

Tsab: “Hli Nra are you in there?!” He yells for her being the first one to arrive there. He tries to open the door but notice someone had locked the door from the outside, tying the door with a rope and knotting it tight. He couldn’t get it to budge so he used his pocket knife to cut it off.

Hli Nra felt gust of hot air blowing against her and someone yelling her name causing her to wake up. She opened her eyes and notice the room looked so strange and fuzzy. Her head was aching.

Tsab: “Hli Nra, we have to get out of here.” He gotten the door to open and came in to get her. She wasn’t fully aware of what had happen. He takes her outside and she finally caught sight of half of the hut catching on fire.

She quickly remembers she was fumbling the ring in her hand but when she opens her palm it wasn’t there. She quickly skims the ground looking for it.

Hli Nra: “It’s not outside here. Where is it?!” She stares back at the hut.

Tsab: “What are you doing?!”

Hli Nra: “I have to find it!” She peels off Tsab’s hands that was trying to hold her back and ran back inside. The door shuts behind her.

Tsab: “Hli Nra come back!” Before he could chase after her someone had came around the corner and was standing by the door. In his hand a torch. “Who are you?!” He pointed at the stranger. The arsonist turns around to see an unexpected Tsab. He thought everyone would be distracted by the fire at the workers shelter that they would least expect his actual target. The arsonist was in a black outfit and had a mask on. He immediately turned his attention back to the hut and was about to throw the torch at it to speed up the process but Tsab grabbed his arm. “What do you think you’re doing?!” He struggle with the men causing him to drop his torch afar from his destination.

Hli Nra: “Where could it be…?” She tried to retrace her steps. She couldn’t leave without it. While scrabbling in the sandy ground below her she finally found it inches away where she woke up earlier.

Tsab was on the ground punching the arsonist when Muaj Tsheeb arrived to see the hut in flames. Hli Nra was beginning to cough non stop as the inside was becoming clouded with smoke. She could only stand in the middle to keep away from the flames. She clutches onto the ring tightly and put it against her chest.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Where’s Hli Nra?” He asked in concern.

Tsab: “She went back inside?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Is she crazy or what?!”

Hli Nra grabs the necklace ring and runs toward the door but it had just in gulp in flames. At the same time Muaj Tsheeb did as well, he quickly raise his arms to cover his face and took a step back once the flame burned the door. Hli Nra looks around for an exit but the only exit and entrance had already been sealed. She spins around despair as the fire hovered around her. There was no escaping this deadly fire. She began to cough violently because she was inhaling too much smoke.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Thanks for Ch. 10 & 11! Love them! I wonder who will be the one to rush in and save Hli Nra. Poor Pog. I hope she is okay and the little sister, I wonder if she'll fall for Nuj Tsim now that she is back. I feel bad for Nuj Tsim because he lost his chance to tell her Hli Nra his feelings all those years.