[Mainland] Ballad of the Desert

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Yes! That's one of the words that can describe my mumble jumble feelings. Lol. I'm satisfied. Super satisfied. Deep sigh ~~~~

I think you should try reading it. As with every adaptation, the novel is always more detailed. Besides, you can always cheat anyway ahahahaha. You don't have to read the whole thing just the parts with HQB+YuEr/Wuji+XY if the other parts bore you. I think it'll fulfill your satisfaction even more when you continue watching the series. :) Bc yes. They did tweak quite a few scenes. The flow of the drama is pretty much exactly the same as the novel but you might regret some changes. The novel is much more explicit.

And it's okay. Just seeing his facial expression and body language is enough - I tell you !!!! Kyahh. You're not missing much anyway. Eddie was just apologizing for not being there with Hu Ge and LSS because he was currently filming a Korean movie. He also said Karen was his benefactor and when he was contacted for this role, he accepted right away without thinking. Of course the brief mention of "fate" and other ritual stuff like his experience filming as well as thanking the fans for being so patient and waiting so long for the drama.

I love this clip just for his facial expressions and body language alone. I love how he pretends to punch the air.5555 Kyahhh!! I feel like such a fangirl bc I keep thinking how can a man be so cute, hot, and sexy at the same time?! 5555555 *covers my face in laughter* Aiy mak. xD 55555

Hahaha. @Off-topicness I can only claim fluency in 3 and (limited) working proficiency in 2. I know a little Mandarin to get by but I don't have the authority to translate word for word. Those novels are actually still just my very first set. Lol.

About a guy like Wuji in this world. Sorry if I bring Tepsin Intarajak into this again. (I can probably write an essay on how the themes in these two series are so similar) 5555 But a loyal guy, one woman type of guy who pursues his love without hesitation like Wuji or even Intarajak probably only exists in female fantasy. 55555 Not trying to be pessimistic just real. Lol. Before watching this series, I was prepared to smoke***cough cough I mean enjoy** crack. This series is basically fantasy. Hahahahaahahah. *covers my face in laughter* Aiy~~aiy~~~~~

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Well alrighty then, I'll go give the novel a shot... and skip to particular scenes if I'm searching for specific characters hehe.

I thought Eddie was adorable when he was punching the air.. whoosh whoosh, whoosh whoosh :D  Thanks for the explanation.  Do you know what Korean film he is filming?  Is it an actual Korean film? or a China-Korea joint film?  As for "fate" I'm so glad he agreed to take on the drama.. even if it was without consideration... I grew to love him as WWJ too much that I can't picture someone else playing his role... yes, he's really "fated" *coughcough*

And oowwaahhh, 5 languages? whoot whoot.  You go girl :D  Multi-lingual <3

LOL, I wouldn't mind reading your essay of comparison between the two dramas :p  And yes, I know that meeting those kinds of characters.. who are so loyal and loving... are rare... *coughcough* in female fantasy world only... ahhhh tum-mai?  But hey, at least we can fantasize all we want right hehe :p   Ahaha, you addict XD

Oh the subs ... I think I should finish it RAW first then rewatch it with SUBS when it's completed... oh what to do, oh what to do.

Oh yeah... I've been bugging my sis to take me the Bay or LA area just so I can catch Fleet of Time... hopefully they'll still be playing in the selected theaters though... maybe the San Jose one... gahhhh gahhhhh gahhhhh.. *crossesfingers*  She called me a dummy..  lol *coughcough*  It's the dedication... you know? :p

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Even though he saidhe accepted the role right away without thinking, I'm sure he did consider some things. HAHA. It's business after all. But yes, I'm so glad he accepted the role despite the earlier backlash. Also, to be fair, he wasn't so conceited and self-centered as to say the role was fated for him. LOL. (I guess I was just too excited and was being self-centered for him so I neglected to elaborate 55555555) More specifically, he said that it felt "fated" because the role allowed him to reunite with Hu Ge and LSS again. HEHEHE.

The specific term for "fate" that he used was yuanfen (緣分and not mingyun (命運), which is a broader term for "fate" and which can be used more often in a variety of contexts. Though google will give both translations as "fate", pleco gives a more specific definition for yuanfen. Sorry. I'm being weird and technical. LOL. I just don't want to give you the wrong impression no matter how trivial the matter is.

About the Korean film, I didn't really look into it and Eddie didn't say anything more about it. But I remember reading he was rumored to be starring with Yoona from Girls Generation. I guess it's a Korean-Chinese movie.

http://www.soshified.com/2014/07/yoona-cast-as-female-lead-for-movie-goodbye-ani

LOL. Others spazzing about Eddie.

http://onehallyu.com/topic/84837-yoona-is-confirmed-to-be-casted-in-korean-chinese-movie-%E5%86%8D%E8%A7%81%E9%98%BF%E5%A6%AE%E2%80%99-as-the-female-lead-%E9%98%BF%E5%A6%AE-with-eddi-peng/

I'm bound to resume working on my 6th sooner or later. Its a karmic debt I have to repay. 5555

To be fair to some guys we probably know in real life lmao! It is not so rare to find a one-woman, single heart type of man. But one who would sacrifice everything in pursuit of his love without nil hesitation? It's almost an "in your dream kind of thing." Especially when we consider the time period and the guys' statuses and how different their backgrounds were when compared to the heroines. In real life, there are too many real factors and consequences they have to consider. For one, back then a sign of power and wealth weren't just how many mansions or how many horses you had - but also how many wives you had. That was the reality.

Earlier in March-April ---when I could finally breathe lol ---- I actually did a marathon of Thepsin Intarajak as I tend to do with my favorites every 4-5 years. I thought of writing an analysis about it on my blog but that passion isn't blazing as strongly as it once did. 55555!!!! So I'm not going to write an essay today. Maybe 5 years from now. LOL !!!!

I guess I can briefly mention a few things I think are similar. Obviously, there is a vast difference in plot and overall characterization. But for the few similarities that they do share --- I really appreciate because they are mainly what I find endearing about the two pairings.

For one, both guys are totally devoted. He pursues the girl without giving a single damn thought about the disastrous consequences that could follow. If we consider their specific circumstances --- whether it be in the courts or battles ---- the priorities they set and the decisions they make actually show how totally irresponsible they were considering their high positions and the leadership roles they had to fulfill. (But thats why most romances like these are what I call fantasies.) Both guys pursue the girls despite all the discouragement and criticisms they receive from those around them. They know what they want and they go for it without asking for anyone's permission.

The kidnapping is also similar - the fear that their woman will run away from them.

Sex-before-marriage theme is similar - the unorthodox mentality and rebellious attitudes towards authority and traditions. The "I don't give a damn what anyone else says" attitude.

Now. This scene was the one I was talking about earlier. Both couples were basically having a lover's quarrel and were almost oblivious to the fact that they were NOT alone in each others company. LOL. Hubby and wifey language and such. Both girls are cross-dressing and both guys physically using their arms to block them from running away while a third-party watches. LOL.

Anyway. I say go ahead and read some parts of the novel and then watch the rest without subs ! HAHAHAHA. [CONFESSION: I actually watched the raw (both the cut version and uncut version) and then I watched the English subbed version a third time. Then about last week I found there were also Thai subbed ones !!!!! So thats like watching it 4 versions multiple times!!!!! Ba mai la? 55555 Baaaaaa maaaakkkkk]

LOL. I'm guessing you're the younger sister? My big sis used to call me dummy. But that was back when we were in elementary school..And now I call her airhead. 55555 Besides, I actually converted her to an Eddie Peng fan. :rofl: I usually don't it for any celebrity, but Eddie was an exception.

I guess I can understand if it'll take more than 3 hours to drive to the theatre. But you know, sometimes the experience is worth it. I hope you can watch it in the big screen though. I'm not very sure but I think Christmas Eve will be the last day Fleet of Time is showing in the States. So thats coming by realllllllll fast. Good luck ! :)

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
You watched this drama 4 times? haha, whoot whoot!  That's not crazy, that's dedication right there <3  Mai baaaaa... XD

BTW, Does the uncut/cut versions differ much?

And yes, I'm the younger sister :p  I showed my sister the trailer.. and she was like.. "and?  The point is?"  I'm like baffled because I loved the camera work for the film.. *gasp* ... well then again, there was no dialogues whatsoever for the trailer much anyways..  hehe.  We have similar interests here and there.. It was actually my sister that showed me Eddie's Young Warrior.. <3  and the rest was history...

*coughcough*  I'll wait for your paper review a few years from now then.. with comparisons and contrasts.  I loved that oblivious scene.  It's a moment between the pra'nangs that it's only them that matters.. hehehe.. XD  The other's reactions though.. 555 assuming the pra'nangs are gay :p

As for guys in real life.. yes they exist.. like you mentioned... but I agree that it's different in comparison to the older days... cause yes, having many wives was a sign of power.. But to only settle for one in that time period, without a care about their status or position... oh true love and dedication right there.. sigh... I have good guy friends.. who are loving and loyal but.. :bhehe:  it can't be compared to Eddie or Boy's characters... :nono1: fantasies... *sniffsniff*

For Eddie's film.. so it's with Yoona.  I was expecting someone else.. *coughcough* oh well, oh well.  Thanks for the news.  :crush:

:teary: There's been a change of plans.. since the week has been so busy for my sister and I.. we can't catch Eddie's film at all... sigh.. :teary:   I know today was the last day too.. sigh..  It's okay though.  Maybe I can catch his future works if it's shown in the US.. hopefully I'll be more prepared by then.  I don't mind traveling at all just to catch it :p

I'll go read/catch up on the novel where I'm currently at in the drama... that way I'll know what I'm watching without the need for subs.  Thank you~  hehe. 

And Mint...  keep breathing.. keep breathing 555 XD :thumbsup:

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
LOL. Takes a deep breath*** How I once selfishly longed for an Urmila who can sleep for me though.

You know. I don't even know why they bother making a cut and uncut version. I think after ep 6 ish there weren't any real difference between the two versions at all. The uncut version just showed a little more of Wuji and XY's first encounter and included Wuji and Jiuye's first meeting. Otherwise, there's no real notable difference. And it's too bad bc I know for a fact they could have included a substantial number of scenes that probably will never see the light of day now..... :/..... I wished they'd show it in the DVDs but I doubt that'll happen....

And yes...the characters ... Lol. Eddie's and Boy's characters... I love Eddie to pieces and I think it's sweet how he shows so much love towards his mum and sis. But you know sometimes a mommy's boy can be annoying. Lmao! Not referring to Eddie specifically but just a general statement. Of course. It all depends on a lot of things. Balance is the key to everything. Just as long as the bias is not taken to the extreme or to the point of being unbearably unreasonable. Slightly random thought again hehehe. Bc I was thinking about how Wuji was very protective of XY against his own mother while Eddie admitted himself that he probably wouldn't be persistent in love to the extent that Wuji was - though of course he was referring more to the love triangle aspect and not the mommy issue. LOL.

Tbh, I was slightly disappointed (too) when I found out it was gonna be Yoona. LOL. *facepalm* Nothing against her but I was expecting a real actress and not an idol.

Well, I hope you have a wonderful and heartfelt Christmas with your loved ones, Julie. :) Merry Christmas. :heart: And stay warm.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Short short short late reply.... :(

Happy belated Christmas to you and your family too Mint.  I am going to be a busy bee this whole week... so no time to chat or spazz with you.. boohoo.  Take care of yourself.  I'll come back with extra topics to discuss 555 XD.  Tootle-loo~~~

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
LOL. That's okay, Julie.

Savor your time with your family and loved ones na. :)

There's always more to discuss later. Sometimes, there are people who watch the dramas long long longggg after it finished airing. I think Sound of the Desert is still airing in Taiwan.

Though I'm just gonna rewind a bit to our earlier discussion on the biting scene since it's on my mind right now and I want to get it off. Hahaha.

Yesterday, I was just reading a new review where the blogger had a different interpretation of the biting scene we discussed earlier. Different in the sense that I haven't read anyone applied it to Wuji and XY yet. But not at all original or unique because I've seen it used in other places lol. I.E. Considering I've read a number of Inuyasha fanfics before :rofl: I'm a bit surprised it didn't cross my mind Tong Hua wrote the scene as Wuji biting XY because he was marking her as his territory --- the way fanfic writers tend to use that trope. LOL. To think Tong Hua might have the same rationale when she wrote that scene... I can't help but think....

Then on the same day, I was also watching a different Tong Hua drama adaptation. "Best Time" with Janine Chang and Wallace Chung."....

Just looking at the kinda of heroines she create... And the love stories she concoct... I just can't help but think the woman must be really Stubborn and hard to reason with in real life..... Lol..... Her views and ideals on love are just so.... Smh. LOL. Somehow, thinking about what type of person was behind all these popular love stories and inspired all these drama adaptions.... I just can't help but think ... "Reminds me of someone I used to know." LOL. Too romantic it's unreal. So highly fantasized. But hey. The market needs diversity, right. Once in a while we want to smoke crack. Cough cough. LOL. There's a market for every niche.

Julie, I probably won't be around to wish you a happy new year, so I'll take this moment to wish you a happy new year now.

I hope 2015 will bless you and your family with good health and lots of happiness na. Thank you for spazzing with me. :)

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
It's okay Mint. I don't have time to spazz either. Take care of yourself, and have a great time with your loved ones too. Happy New Year to you~~~~ I'll probably be back a week or two later. By then I should have finished reading the novel snippets here and there :p. Tootle-loo~~~~

Once again, happy new year. I wish you and your family great health for the upcoming new year. And that may every new day be filled with bliss, joy, and happiness. Love you and take care :3

mia07

Introvert
I kinda skimmed through this series since I read the novel. I was all about Hu Ge and Shi Shi bcuz I have a soft spot for vulnerable guys and their scenes were cute. The fighting and bickering btween Shi Shi and Eddie were kinda like siblings at first but they had their cute moments too. I'm glad they stuck to the original ending although I wish they put more depth into the letter at the end like they did in the translated novel bcuz it was way more heartbreaking.. All in all, I'm still sticking to my Meng Jiu.. :)

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
My dear Mint!  I've missed you~~  Hope you've been doing well.

I lied during my break.  I didn't get the chance to read up on the novel but... subs are out.  I'm like very sad though... that's why I'm still postponing the drama.. *gulps*

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
I usually don't watch Chinese dramas, but my sister started this last week & I was hooked! My sister started watching it because she heard that it was similar to Prince of Lan Ling-- that's her ultimate favorite series & I still haven't finished it because I found out what will happen in the end & i'm really bummed about it... so that's on hold lol. Anyways back to what I was saying about Ballad of the Deserts, when I started it I was thinking, "Eddie Peng, uhm... helllooo" *blushes* He's adorable! At certain angles, he kind of reminds me of Nadech lol. I haven't finished this series yet, still on episode 27, kind of putting the series on hold because I know I'll be sad when it ends :'(

I just love the chemistry between Eddie Peng & the main actress (I have no idea what her name is lol) The dude in the wheel chair bugs the crap out of me, although I do sympathize for the sad life he has, but he lost his chance, & I just find him annoying. Maybe I'll force myself to finish this series soon lol.

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
sooooooo mad that i watched this one so late...i loved it so much that i watched it TWICE in one week...no forwarding or anything...and no sleep too...lol.  this script was so well put together and so welled performed that i couldnt bear the thought of eddie peng and LSS not being together in real life!  i still have issues with that!  ha!  at the same time,  i have also fallen in love with eddie...AND have been dreaming very explcit dreams about him lately!  what am i to do??

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
omg watching this for the third time in the past 2 months! dunno y i enjoy it so much! lol

Mz_Em

sarNie Juvenile
What a treat, been gone from cdrama since forever and lurking at Chinese Eng novel site and found this love story!!! Marathon it and wow everyone showcase their characters perfectly and it really closely followed the book with little deviation. My fave for sure!!!!

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
I'm so late with Cdrama. I been watching this and now I'm hooked. The love story between the 3 leads remind me of another cdrama called Beauty at the Crossfire. The heroin meets and fall in love with the first guy, but ends up with the second guy. First guy is smart, reserve, and kinda have a bland personality, second guy is funny, rude, and charming.

Mz_Em

sarNie Juvenile
I'm so late with Cdrama. I been watching this and now I'm hooked. The love story between the 3 leads remind me of another cdrama called Beauty at the Crossfire. The heroin meets and fall in love with the first guy, but ends up with the second guy. First guy is smart, reserve, and kinda have a bland personality, second guy is funny, rude, and charming.
Oh I will check out the other one if similar storyline but HEA?

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Omg, now I see who Eddie Pang remind me of... he's a mixed of Louis Koo and Gordon Lam!! I miss those TVB actors from the 90's! I just realized The Maggie Chueng is in here! I used to watch most of her series back then. "Old Time Buddy" was one of my favorites!some of the veterans TVB actors are in mainland China series. What happened to TVB/Hong Kong series? Are they not popular any more?