[Movie] Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons

cecilia

Staff member
I watched this on Netflix and had a great laugh out of this. It's not as good as Chinese Odyssey but at least we got to see the backdrop story for the fish, the pig, and the monk. Really like the monk's journey to become who he is to the Monkey King and his little demon hunter love story left me both happy and sad ...

http://youtu.be/CmKrgPr7PA8

http://youtu.be/99uDmZkdbxc

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Saw this movie the other day and had a great laugh watching it. Stephen chow is back at his game!!! Love most of Stephen Chow's movies! I really miss the wacky old school HK movies!

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
I have not watched this yet. From the trailer, this movie looks fun like Kung Fu Hustle. Thanks for sharing, cecilia. Have you guys watch the 1986 version of Journey to the West yet?

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I actually really enjoyed this film.  I was expecting to anyways since I knew it was directed by the "Stephen Chow."  :D 

I was really hoping he'll reprise his role since I was always a fan of his version from ACO :(  Anyways, I was surprised to see what kind of monkey king we got in here... He was like the creepiest one ever... eek.

I remember watching this and was like... that guy looks like Show Luo... then towards the end... I finally recalled that it was him.

I liked the pace of the film, the cast was really good too.  I just love it though how you can always somewhat tell you're watching a Stephen Chow film... because he  always has these certain elements that you can recall or notice in his film.... like the notable dancing from Shaolin Soccer & Kung Fu Hustle :p

cecilia

Staff member
I love his movies .. always got me laughing out of nowhere.  This one was no exception either .. i love love he humor in here .. feel bad for the monk but at least I understood where he stands now.  As for the monk, he's super creepy but funny.  I love that comment on how short he is lol

And yes, show as that sick prince was hilarious .. his maidens are even more funnier lol

p. Zoua

sarNie Oldmaid
This movie was ok. I think he could have done better though...somehow it's missing a touch of something....lol can't quite say what it is. but yes.

bubbles8

sarNie Adult
So many Journey to the West versions now, the last one i watched was with Benny Chan yonks ago. The 1986 version will always be remembered as the best and most classic and meaningful for me.

The good old days watching Stephen Chow and his buddy in crime Uncle Tat, love it!! They make humour come out so naturally, and sometimes js looking at their faces or thinking abt their characters makes me laugh already lol 

Ms.Zoe

I agree. I had watched other versions too, but none could beat the 1986 version. So many childhood memories coming back just thinking about it, back then every time there were thunder & rain, I would think about the gods & goddeses & dragons creating them :). It is a work of fiction, but the 1986 version to me seemed to be most accurate with the novel, other versions just add humors and scenes that are unnecessary causing them to be dull. The 1986 version also have the best ost songs IMO & all the characters in it are much cooler than characters from other versions.

bubbles8 said:
So many Journey to the West versions now, the last one i watched was with Benny Chan yonks ago. The 1986 version will always be remembered as the best and most classic and meaningful for me.

The good old days watching Stephen Chow and his buddy in crime Uncle Tat, love it!! They make humour come out so naturally, and sometimes js looking at their faces or thinking abt their characters makes me laugh already lol

bubbles8

sarNie Adult
I still watch it once in awhile ms. Zoe. Every scenes and characters all have their significance. You have the feel that's wat the gods, goddesses and buddhas look like and want to be one of them hehe And all the songs are such classics. I actually went to search for the singer who sung the main theme song not long ago, and at this age, his voice is still so strong, i get the goosebumps listening to his magical voice!

Ms.Zoe

Hehehe. I agree, every scene & character has its significance, I could not pick out any favorite. They also have deep meanings/lessons to them, that is why I still watch certain scenes once in a while too ^_^. I agree, his voice is magical because I do not understand what he is singing but I still listen :ghehe:. I also listen to the songs without the singings. I also watched the reunion videos on youtube. It was fun seeing almost every character in real life.