let's see if i can attempt this? BEEN SO LONG since i do this kind of math ^^
k*k = 2k
2k-3k = -1k
-1/2 = - 0.5k
N =negative 0.5k , right? :lol:

cecilia

Staff member
^I fixed it ja.
it's actually (k*K) instead of (k*K*K) b/c it's only to the square root of 2. :p

so it's
N = ((k*k)-3k)/2
N = (2k-3k)/2
N = (-1k)/2
N = -0.5k

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I don't know how to solve it either lol but I just wanted to point out that Cecilia you made one minor mistake since k*k equals K^2 instead of 2k so yeah. Mmmmmm 2k reminds me of Thai food :lol:.

No matter what I try I end up with k=2N/(k-3)
but then that does not really work since k is not only on one side of the equation but if you multiply it back you get k^2-3k=2N so yeah I give up. Math and me are enemies, well algebra and I are enemies lol.

cecilia

Staff member
^lol .. wait. on a second thought. since when did k*k is 2K LOL (don't' know what i was thinking) .. NVM.

k*k -- will be K .. it's like saying 1*1 or 1^2 = 1 LOL

so now ..
it could be interpret
N = ((k*k)-3k)/2
N = (k-3k)/2
N = (-2k)/2
N = -1k

LOl .. or

it could be interpret
N = ((k*k)-3k)/2
N = ( k - 3k )/2 (k cancelled k)
N = (-3)/2
N = -1.5

can we at least, have a mathematician come in here and help solve this .. LOl

ChenrukNote

Goddess
LOL Cecilia no k*k does not equal k. It's k^2. It's like a*a=a^2 (a squared).

cecilia

Staff member
^yes, it's k^2 .. i'm just saying, let's role play K to 1 .. it's like saying 1*1 too .. k^2 put in formula, it'll be k*k

ChenrukNote

Goddess
^lol .. wait. on a second thought. since when did k*k is 2K LOL (don't' know what i was thinking) .. NVM.

k*k -- will be K .. it's like saying 1*1 or 1^2 = 1 LOL

so now ..
it could be interpret
N = ((k*k)-3k)/2
N = (k-3k)/2
N = (-2k)/2
N = -1k

LOl .. or

it could be interpret
N = ((k*k)-3k)/2
N = ( k - 3k )/2 (k cancelled k)
N = (-3)/2
N = -1.5

can we at least, have a mathematician come in here and help solve this .. LOl

^yes, it's k^2 .. i'm just saying, let's role play K to 1 .. it's like saying 1*1 too .. k^2 put in formula, it'll be k*k
Ok so I don't understand how you got k^2-3k=k-3k?

That's the only part I don't follow. Unless you factored out the k to get k(k-3).

Diamend needs to get in here. She's the one that loves math lol.

cecilia

Staff member
^lol ..

what i'm trying to do is ..

K^2 is the same thing as K*K which equal K (unless, there's a value in K greater than 1, then the equation is on a different level LOl )

that's how i got k-3k (k cancel k -- like some physic equation LOl) -- which leave us -3 LOL

yes. whoever, can solve it, come and deal with this. it's driving me nuts here too :loool:

judyp

sarNie Adult
^lol ..

what i'm trying to do is ..

K^2 is the same thing as K*K which equal K (unless, there's a value in K greater than 1, then the equation is on a different level LOl )

that's how i got k-3k (k cancel k -- like some physic equation LOl) -- which leave us -3 LOL

yes. whoever, can solve it, come and deal with this. it's driving me nuts here too :loool:
no, k^2 is not k*k, k^2 is k^2.

im pretty good w/ math, but it's been awhile since i've done this type of math, so let me give it a try.

N = k^2 - 3k/2

im going to move the 2 to the other side so we can keep the k's together by multiplying 2 on both sides.

2N = k^2 - 3k

now, im going to square root the (k^2 - 3k) to get rid of the ^2 and do the same on the other side.

sqrt 2N = k - sqrt 3k

now i can move the sqrt 3k by subtraction to the other side to leave k by itself.

sqrt 2N - sqrt 3k = k

the answer i got is: k = sqrt 2N - sqrt 3k

i don't know, thats a tough one. you don't have the answer, we can work backwards. :)

-edited-

cecilia

Staff member
^muhaha. my sister did something like that too .. but she turn around and said .. i'm not sure, i'm only a highschool kid LOL

for me. . been over 7 years since i touch math. lOl .. so my formula could be wrong LOL

buit i do know that k^2 is k^2 .. but what i'm saying is that in formula, if we have to write it out. k^2 is like k*k LOl

take for example .. 3^3 is (3*3*3)

hope Daimend can put in her side of equation too .. LOl ..

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
lol. I didn't browse thru all the comments. But I think you guys are forgetting something called.. hint hint. The quadratic formula.

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
^^ ^_^

N = k^2 - 3/2k
N = (2/2)k^2 - 3/2k
2N = 2k^2 - 3k
0 = 2k^2 - 3k - 2N

Now you can plug 2, -3, and -2N to a, b, c respectively into the quadratic formula.

k = [-b +/- sqrt (b^2 - 4ac)]/[2a]

That is, k has two possible answers and that it depends on the pivot variable N.

Diamend

sarNie Oldmaid
ok first i need to know how it's really written. is it supposed to be N=(k^2 - 3k)/2? or N=((k^(2-3k))/2 or N=(k^2)-(3k/2) ? lol

edit: ohhh there u go lol mintwix got it lol

cecilia

Staff member
^there, we have it .. the quadratic formula ..
thank god, there's mathematician in here :p
i know where to turn to now ..