New Citizenship Law??

annea

sarNie Adult
I heard that after November 2008, they will change the law and questions to make it harder for people to become citizens. ANyone heard about this? hope its not true.. I wont have a problem because I can read and write but I'm worried for my parents if they are chaging the law...and now it cost like $675 to apply...so expensive! I have to save money and apply before it cost more..LOL

dek_noy

sarNie Hatchling
Havent heard nothing about it yet. But I know that the price for citizenship is going up really high. Maybe to like $1,000 by next year. I still need to get mine!!

minankumo

sarNie Adult
i lost my citizenship certificate n now need to aply for a new 1n tha suc u gotta wait 8 months for it

kumpangxruk

sarNie Adult
i haven't heard anything but it definitely has been harder since everything that happened with 9/11. my friend said her husband still has to get his because he won't sign a marriage certificate cuz he's gay like that lol and it'll cost him about 700 to apply! my uncle's came from vietnam in 94 and it took them like 14 years to get green cards and their citizenships which totally suck. i wonder how long it would take for my uncle's wife to get citizenship.

i was just reading that after oct 1, 2008 the questions are changing & there will be multiple answers that will be accepted - here's the link for sample questions

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/blinstst_new.htm

Alhambra1

sarNie Juvenile
If it's multiple choice I think it would be easier. But it's so quick now a day to apply for your citizenship, that is if you're clean, no criminal background and so forth. My sister got everything in last than three month ( from the day she applied to the day she received her certificate). Yes the price did go up from 400 to 675, that's a big jump. It's a good thing I applied for mine years ago, save myself some money.

cecilia

Staff member
well. i paid for the 400 and memorized the whole 97+ questions but when i got there. the agent only ask me like 3 multiple questions out of the whole booklet. so now i'm just waiting for the oath testimony...but yeah, that's what i heard about it that they're raising it up and make it harder .. i'm just glad i'm done with mine and got over it.

Anyhow. the agent said, you only need like 6 questions right to be qualify so yup. my was simple, maybe they're just putting words out to freak ppl out ;)

annea

sarNie Adult
hmm..thanks for the website kumpangxruk.... is that suppose to make it easier to become a citizen or harder? lol...hopefully they wont make too much changes to it...but the price will definitely shoot up by the end of this year...so expensive!

none3

sarNie Hatchling
The objective of all this dilemma is to to discourage people from being American Citizens. The price hike and the difficult questions are only the first stepping stone. Who knows, a couple of years from now they'll stop giving people the opportunity to be American Citizens. They want to discourage people from staying in America--sad reality. :huh:

annea

sarNie Adult
wat...my sis just went in for her citizenship test and she passed but the y said she cant change her name or they dont do it there anymore or something like that..is that another law? my sis wanna add an american name and use her old name as her middle name..the person told my sis that she has to do a petition to teh superior court if she still wants to change her name...anyone know whats going on?

gs

Sexy Back
wat...my sis just went in for her citizenship test and she passed but the y said she cant change her name or they dont do it there anymore or something like that..is that another law? my sis wanna add an american name and use her old name as her middle name..the person told my sis that she has to do a petition to teh superior court if she still wants to change her name...anyone know whats going on?

i just became a us citizen 3 weeks ago.... i ask for a name change my first name as an american name and my middle use to be my first name and yes you have to do a petition to the superior court....they hate it when u file out the application and you check mark no on the name change what ur sis should of done is tell the person who doing the interview before they did the paper work and give your sis the test that she want her name change...then they will let her fill out the petetion form questions ask in the form is wat ur current name and what ur new name sign and date that it if you tell them after everything is done most likely they wont do it for you because then they have to file the paper all over

gs

Sexy Back
also want to add that yes they will change the testing process making it more harder

annea

sarNie Adult
i just became a us citizen 3 weeks ago.... i ask for a name change my first name as an american name and my middle use to be my first name and yes you have to do a petition to the superior court....they hate it when u file out the application and you check mark no on the name change what ur sis should of done is tell the person who doing the interview before they did the paper work and give your sis the test that she want her name change...then they will let her fill out the petetion form questions ask in the form is wat ur current name and what ur new name sign and date that it if you tell them after everything is done most likely they wont do it for you because then they have to file the paper all over
My sis said the first thing that man told her was " did u know that there is a new law and we dont do name change here. If you want, you have to file a petition to teh court and I dont know what the fees are." my sis was like wtf?? she said he seems really strict...also, on the neutralization application, she marked "yes" for name changed and theres a box that tells you to put your name(s). she did everything. I dont know whats going on. My friend taking her test on the 27th, we wanna see whats gonna happen.. I dunno if its really a new "law" or that man was giving my sis a hard time...btw, congrats on gettin ur citizenship. ehehe..gotta get mines soon.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
i decided to get mine before they changed the price to six hundred something. I hate how they're making it more difficult because my parents haven't gotten there's yet and when they got to America, they didn't have a chance to learn english because work came first. And when I went through and asked those questions to my american citizen friends, they barely knew half of the 100 q's. Very sad that people who test knows more than those who were born and raised here.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
I heard that after November 2008, they will change the law and questions to make it harder for people to become citizens. ANyone heard about this? hope its not true.. I wont have a problem because I can read and write but I'm worried for my parents if they are chaging the law...and now it cost like $675 to apply...so expensive! I have to save money and apply before it cost more..LOL
I heard it was going to go up to almost 1000. But, i also heard it's a faster process. so less time to learn the hard stuff i guess.

annea

sarNie Adult
well..here in CA, my sis and her friend took the test at San Francisco and the person who tested my friend said they dont do name change here anymore..its a different process..you have to file a petition and da da da...before that, they used to do name change and stuff there...so they told them to wait after the neutralization then file a petition for name change and I think its gonna cost money..errrr...kinda sucks!

Khatiya

sarNie Adult
whoooos! good thing I got it out of the way many years back.

I do understand the elderly. I was the interpreter for my mom she was went for the testing. What I did was put the questions and answer on a CD because she can listen to it while doing her daily stuff like cleaning or cooking and things around the house. It helped out a lot. I suggest this method for those who are assiting the elderly.

Also a good secret code between you and the person you are translating for also helps ehhehe.

te_1_n_only_me

sarNie Egg
my aunt got her citizenship and wanted to change her name but the person told her that she would need to go through a bunch of process and there would be a fee too. If she wanted info, they could provide it to her but she was like neva mind. My grandma was like 70 or more and didn't speak a lick of english, but been living in America for like 20 yrs. and she pass her first time. All her four kids had citizenship too, so I don't noe if it depend on the each person background on what kind of question may be asked.

annea

sarNie Adult
I think for seniors who has been living here for a long time gets theirs easier...but it seems like the new name changed law is going on everywhere...sucks that u have to pay extra for that..it was free before...