New Server! and some news

darvil

sarNie Adult
I've been preparing for my move back to Asia so I've decided to invest in a server that was more robust then the older one we have. This is just in case the machine fails when I was away. I only wanted to spent around 500 dollars but I ended up spending over 1K. The older server now will end up being extra spare parts for this new one. I picked up parts from ebay and got some amazing deal. I am very happy with the result.

The new machine is very powerful and has plenty of extra juice so I have been thinking of giving out free hosting for forums and blogs to Asian related stuff publicly. As some of you might know I've been hosting a few other forums here and there. I'm setting up a special slice of the server for this.. doing some special things like backups and stuff. I'll let ya'll know when its ready. Shouldn't take too long. I don't ask for much in return ;)

FYI server is dual harpertown quads with 24 gigs of ram and 8 enterprise drives in a very fast raid 10 joined together with a 3ware card.

Here are the pictures to the new machine.

Its the white one in the middle

This is after pulling out the rack, and opening the cover.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Yes sometime soon (testing out the panel now) ;) I've setup a pretty nice backup system for it so is minimal work for me and security. Also I'm using a pretty advanced panel but the licensing is gonna cost me lol.

Also the new panel has several nice paid addons that I've been interested in such as nginx and varnish (this one is hot stuff). AF is manually done but it makes it a pain to add new domains on this setup so I'm doing it with an easier way.

Probably will have to spend a few more hundreds for licensing and then should be able to host tons of sites easily and quickly and securely ;)

I'll also need to throw up ruktertainment.com site with some info on all the things that will be required (IE basic explanation of hosting, own domain names, diff types of forums and blogs etc). Also will have a forum on the site where people who are hosted and post questions and stuff.

I'm making the entry way as easy and simple as possible (IE pick a domain name and script and ready to go) Since the paid forum softwares are spendy, there are some free alternatives people can use and then upgrade to IPB later. I need to come up with some new strategies and ideas on this.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Lol I has an idea, but I will tell you later hahahah ;p I've been avoiding people and stuff because this month is April and month of Songkran. In Texas we have something every weekend for all of April LOL

darvil

sarNie Adult
Cecil,

Wow as in pretty cool or Wow as in WTF is darvil thinking? lol

You know I've always wanted to start my own network and I know this new server is capable of hosting many forums the same size as AF ;) You guys know a network like allkpop right? Apart from their own site they also host many korean related forums/sites for free. Thats exactly what I want to do, except I will host anything that is Asian related and I will give the people I host more options. I've had to deal with AKpop before and it left a bad taste in my mouth and I know I can do something better.

I bought the domain name ruktertainment.com for this but I could also call it asianfuse network. What do ya'll think? Forums can get their own domain names or they can do something like blahblah.ruktertainment.com or blahblah.asianfuse.net

Tina,

Come online and talk to me.

cecilia

Staff member
^wow .. as in BOTH ... kidding, it's more of WOW, AWESOMENESS! I wish you did this before I bought my domain and hosting things ..
however, i could use some of your hosting storage to help with my bandwidth as my monthly fee seems to keep going high and high lol (sorry, i'm a freebie person and since you offer this, i'm thinking of having you host my YADECH and ATEAM stuff lol) -- i could leave my domain at doteasy and somehow redirect the ppl from there to the new hosting plan you offered. I'm assuming you have unlimited traffic plan, right?

Anyway, i like your idea .. if it work out .. let me know .. i'll be the first one to take it lol

darvil

sarNie Adult
You have a hosting acct with doteasy? or you using the free hosting with domain?.. 1 gig a month and 100mb? Thats not much!

How are you splitting that up?

This server is optimized for forums and blog. Are you talking about just like storage IE downloadable files in general? If you need that I can always throw up some space on the other server (where the video site is hosted on). As there is no BW limit on that server! ;) Yea I got 2! haha.

That gives me an idea for some people who might need extra storage.

cecilia

Staff member
^the domain cost me 13/year .
hosting cost me 12/mon for unlimited traffic bandwidth
so if i were to go for a year .. it'll be around 100 something
Here's my current plan -- https://www.doteasy.com/Services/WebHosting/Unlimited/
i don't usually upload things much in there - the only thing that i need is unlimited traffic so that the site won't crash.

i'm still debating if i should go for a year or not ..
i wonder if i upload things to your hosting site and if i were to embed or display the image, will it show up?

anyway, i'm not familiar with all these hosting things too so what do you think of my current plan? is it too much for what i need?

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
i have no idea what kind of language ya'll are talking, but yeh, kick the facebook dude's ass, darvil! what's his name, zuckerpunch?

anyways, make millions...and then share the wealth...with me...and whoever else. lol

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ AHAHA THIS IS SO COOL DARVIL!!
but im with thookatha, this is too high-tech for me to understand but it's RAD!! XD

darvil

sarNie Adult
^the domain cost me 13/year .
hosting cost me 12/mon for unlimited traffic bandwidth
so if i were to go for a year .. it'll be around 100 something
Here's my current plan -- https://www.doteasy.com/Services/WebHosting/Unlimited/
i don't usually upload things much in there - the only thing that i need is unlimited traffic so that the site won't crash.

i'm still debating if i should go for a year or not ..
i wonder if i upload things to your hosting site and if i were to embed or display the image, will it show up?

anyway, i'm not familiar with all these hosting things too so what do you think of my current plan? is it too much for what i need?
Cecil, you don't need unlimited. Thats actually just a marketing term. Its essentially shared hosting which is exactly the same thing I'm offering. I honestly don't think you'd ever approach anything close to that though. And site crashing isn't related to unlimited traffic ;) It just means the data that you are using isn't counted. You will see things like 30 gig of Bandwidth a month or something. Do you ever monitor what you actually use? In your panel that is. How much space and traffic do you actually use? I say that because you can get better deals from companies like dreamhost or hostgator.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Thats a regular hosting account. You mean like you will upload a picture to blahblah.com/1.jpg and whether you can link that somewhere else? Sure thing.

You know I work in a hosting company right? ;)

i have no idea what kind of language ya'll are talking, but yeh, kick the facebook dude's ass, darvil! what's his name, zuckerpunch?

anyways, make millions...and then share the wealth...with me...and whoever else. lol
Haha, I won't be making money off this.. just building network and stuff.. get my name out there so.. I wish I was Zuckerberg.

cecilia

Staff member
^well then, i got rip off .. i've tried looking in my panel but sadly, they has UNLIMITED listed in there .. i can't even see the numbers .. to be honest, i didn't think i'll get that high but when my site crashed, i called them and they said i went over the free monthly quota .. they said it is due to my large jpeg/png/gif files -- the tech guy said the reason why it crashed b/c the more ppl come in to have those large file download/view -- the more traffic bandwidth i use so in order to avoid crashing like that .. i need to upgrade my plan -- (no individual plan or something) so since i need unlimited traffic, he offered this b/c it's the best deal (i know, i didn't know then). In the end, i took the plan -- but now, i don't think i need it anymore -- it's just that i'm afraid the site might crash again if ppl were to come back and visit the site that's why i still keeping it ... BUT since you can host things .. i'll cancel my hosting plan with them and come after you ... (that is if you still offer it lol it'll takes lots of time for me to edit things out but i'm willing to fix it for that cut lol)

Anyway, i did not know you work in a hosting company -- i thought you're in some network plus corporation, helping ppl around their cubicles LOL
Good too know -- i'll come to you when i have hosting plan question lol

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
If anyone is planning to open a new forum soon you guys should hold off until Darvil finish setting this up! Lol your new forum could be nameofforum.ruktertainment.com or nameofforum.asianfuse.net.

For anyone who already has a forum I would consider switching to here also because there are huge con's to sticking with a free forum host like zetaboards, freeforum, invisionfree, invisionplus, forumer, and etc.

1. If your forum starts to get to much traffic then it will be shut down and you will be given the excuse that you were violating the terms of usage.

(Having your own forum database and etc you can back up the forum so in case something happens then you are able to restore all data from back up)

2. Those free forums tend to get hacked by random people and topics deleted and so forth. I remember this happening to one of the smaller dara forums

(At least with your own forum software and etc your stuff will be backed up, Darvil will know how to fix it! Lol)

3. You are basically stuck with the same software forever.

(At least if you are hosting your own forum you have the option to upgrade to a different forum hosting software if you wanted. For example vBulletin, IPB, and Etc.)

4. Free forums force ads on you unless you pay to have them removed and it's not even permanent it's done based on a credit thing.

(Darvil wouldn't force ads on you! He might want to add one or two (If any at all), but at a spot that isn't too noticeable yet still gets visited. You can probably add your own ads also.)

I mean there are cons about it too, but I would overlook them considering the major pro's

Con
1. Getting use to a new forum software
2. Moving all Data from old forum to new one

cecilia

Staff member
^Thanks na, TINA, for laying all out for us to see ^^

i'd love to switch but it's too much work ..
we don't normally get much traffic either so i think i'll stick to invisionfree for now.

HOWEVER, i'm interest in other things that Darv can offer from this new server ^^

darvil

sarNie Adult
Hey Cecil,

Were you using the free hosting with the domain? Because it says 1 gig of BW. I can see if you have alot of images, you might use more then 1 gig.. but that doesn't mean you have to go unlimited. But you know, its a business so they're letting you know thats an easy way about it. Did you know how much BW you used? I think for something like that I'll do the FTP thing for you ;)

It would be good if people can get their own domain and owned copy of paid forum like invision but if not.. at least get their own domain name as its not very expensive. At least they can use free forums such as SMF 2 which I can host. Then later they can upgrade it to a paid version if they want.

I'll write up some pro and cons later on.

cecilia

Staff member
^i didn't have a chance to look at any of those info when my site crashed .. i called the tech guy and that's what he offered .. so right now, if i go in the admin panel -- everything is listed 'UNLIMITED'

Here's a screen caps of how it look ..

Anyway, do what you need to do .. when you feel you're ready to share -- let me know .. i'll be the first one to jump in your boat LOL

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
In my experience even though those hosting plans say unlimited it really doesn't mean it. It is unlimited for certain things. If you have alot of traffic to your site they will shut you down without warning -.-' it's happened to me before lol. I think I cried for awhile after I realized I was suspended and couldn't get my data, but you might be ok because yadech gets alot of traffic but hardly enough to crash you because of bw issues.

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
Haha, I won't be making money off this.. just building network and stuff.. get my name out there so.. I wish I was Zuckerberg.
well, you're smart, create some kind of way to generate money. THEN, share it with me...and anyone else. hurry up. im not as patient as my olden days. :gungirl:

darvil

sarNie Adult
well, you're smart, create some kind of way to generate money. THEN, share it with me...and anyone else. hurry up. im not as patient as my olden days. :gungirl:
Not so easy to do.. but I'm gonna try some stuff.

By the way, what do you guys think AFN? AsianFuse network ;)