NEW YORK

chonny

sarNie Egg
This is kind of off topic, but I am wondering if anyone had been to NY or lived in NY? If so, maybe you can help me. I am planning a trip to NY and will be landing in JFK international; the hotel is located near LGA. So, how do I get from JFK to LGA? Will the subway take me all the way to LGA or do I have to take taxi which would probably cost me arm and leg...If i have to take taxi I rather rental a car...You help is greatly appreciated! We kind of make a boo-boo when booking flight...then realize that hotels near JFK is far from Manhattan....yea...idiot friends...:)

Rakniran

I live in NY.We live like 30 minutes from JFK.Taxi would be the best.Doesnt cost much like you think it would.LGA is not that far from JFK.Taxi shouldnt cost u that much.If,I were u I would go with taxis or rent a car.Have fun in Manhattan.

So many things to do in NY.I've been living here for nine months and still havent do much of any tour ,yet.But i have been to Manhattan .It was alot of fun.I think biggest chinatown in NY is in Queen,NY and second goes to Manhattan chinatown.

Rakniran

I want to live in NY, but I'm scared of the cost of living and crime.

rakniran, how is it?

its alot of fun.Many different peoples.Peoples seem to be more mean over here.Everything is fast.Yeah,cost of living is very expensive.One bedroom rent is $1,500.00 a month.But you will get pay more though.Depend on your job.Like in Ohio.If,you are making 45k--you would be making around 85k here in NY.Salary/income are very different.If,you can make it in NY ..YOu can make it anywhere.I live outside the city too.Inside the city is more expensive.I don't know about crime.Only been here nine months.I have never use the taxi or subway.We got a car.We always drive.Yeah,the traffic are horrible.Beach here are great.They drive crazy over here too.They cut you off like crazy.Is like you got to be fast to be able to keep up with the rest.Is not a city to start a family i know for sure.Theres no thai or lao store around here In long island or Queen.They only have chinese store in Chinatown ,but there are many different kind of restaurant.Lots of Jewish and Italian here.When you go to Queen chinatown.You will see lots of chinese drive a BMW and lots of expensive car.Lots of nice car..ALL $$$$$$$$--Oh,they don't speak english either.So,if u decide to go eat in chinatown.Just point to the menu.Thats what we do.Very hard to find a waitress that speak english,when you are not chinese.
We are hoping to do our tour of NY this week.Hopefully for a week.We haven't been to lots of places ,yet.Only manhattan and aorund Long island like fireisland,jones beach,and corny island--i guess thas how u say it.
NY is all about making lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$--but then it mean trouble too....hhahahahaha...

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
Don't take the taxi. It's a waste of money. I think it's a flat rate of like $50 bucks to get from the airport into the city. But worst is renting a car. DO NOT DRIVE IN NYC. First and foremost, most likely there will be better instructions so check with the transportation desk when you get there. However, this is how I would do it. From JFK, take the airtran inside the airport to the Jamaica Center. It's the last stop on the airtran, you can't miss it. From there, take the E Train west. Depending on where you're going, you'd probably want to get off around Rosevelt Ave. From there, you're not far from Lagaurdia, but it's still a little bit north of you. However, I think Rosevelt Ave is a good spot to get off because you can transfer there to other subway lines.

Here's a link to a subway map that can help you.
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

If you tell me more info about your hotel I might be able to help you out, but this is all that I can tell you. It'll cost you $5 for the airtran and about $2 for the E Train (which is part of the subway system). When you change trains (subway, whatever you want to call it) at Rosevelt, it should cost you nothing, but I don't know where you're going next. Thus, the total so far should be $7. At worst, from there you should be close enough to Laguardia where if you need to take a cab, just get one. It won't cost as much as getting a cab at an airport and there should be a meter.

Good luck and let me know if you need anymore help. I fly into JFK pretty often and into Laguardia once. But I've been in and out of NYC pretty often. I'll let you know the cool place to go to if you need it.

chonny

sarNie Egg
Don't take the taxi. It's a waste of money. I think it's a flat rate of like $50 bucks to get from the airport into the city. But worst is renting a car. DO NOT DRIVE IN NYC. First and foremost, most likely there will be better instructions so check with the transportation desk when you get there. However, this is how I would do it. From JFK, take the airtran inside the airport to the Jamaica Center. It's the last stop on the airtran, you can't miss it. From there, take the E Train west. Depending on where you're going, you'd probably want to get off around Rosevelt Ave. From there, you're not far from Lagaurdia, but it's still a little bit north of you. However, I think Rosevelt Ave is a good spot to get off because you can transfer there to other subway lines.

Here's a link to a subway map that can help you.
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

If you tell me more info about your hotel I might be able to help you out, but this is all that I can tell you. It'll cost you $5 for the airtran and about $2 for the E Train (which is part of the subway system). When you change trains (subway, whatever you want to call it) at Rosevelt, it should cost you nothing, but I don't know where you're going next. Thus, the total so far should be $7. At worst, from there you should be close enough to Laguardia where if you need to take a cab, just get one. It won't cost as much as getting a cab at an airport and there should be a meter.

Good luck and let me know if you need anymore help. I fly into JFK pretty often and into Laguardia once. But I've been in and out of NYC pretty often. I'll let you know the cool place to go to if you need it.
WOW! Thanks for all your help and the map!

Isn't there a shuttle that takes you to the subway out of JFK?

I called our hotel and they said that as long as we get to LGA airport they will send a shuttle to pick us up, so I would just follow the directions that you stated above correct?

Do you think it would be worth it of getting unlimited pass for the subway?

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
WOW! Thanks for all your help and the map!

Isn't there a shuttle that takes you to the subway out of JFK?

I called our hotel and they said that as long as we get to LGA airport they will send a shuttle to pick us up, so I would just follow the directions that you stated above correct?

Do you think it would be worth it of getting unlimited pass for the subway?
No, there's not a shuttle that takes you to the subway. There's an airtran though and that's sorta like a shuttle. It's quick and clean, but it cost $5, which I don't think it should charge (at Newark Airport, there's an airtrain too but that one is free).

As I said it before in that pm I sent you, ask the JFK transportation people if they have a shuttle to Laguardia. There might just be an option that's cheaper than any that I've given you. Otherwise, I take back what I said before. Take the taxi to Laguardia. That would be the easiest route. However, I still stand by my comment that if you take the taxi into the City from the airport, it's a waste of money cause they charge extra because it's airport to city flat rate. As for the unlimited pass...how long are you going to be in NY?

chonny

sarNie Egg
No, there's not a shuttle that takes you to the subway. There's an airtran though and that's sorta like a shuttle. It's quick and clean, but it cost $5, which I don't think it should charge (at Newark Airport, there's an airtrain too but that one is free).

As I said it before in that pm I sent you, ask the JFK transportation people if they have a shuttle to Laguardia. There might just be an option that's cheaper than any that I've given you. Otherwise, I take back what I said before. Take the taxi to Laguardia. That would be the easiest route. However, I still stand by my comment that if you take the taxi into the City from the airport, it's a waste of money cause they charge extra because it's airport to city flat rate. As for the unlimited pass...how long are you going to be in NY?
About 2 weeks...dude thanks for all your help! I greatly appreciated :)