Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
©jjinxx
Nothing is Eternal

*Starring*
Nadech as Athit
Yaya as Sasithorn

sneak peak

“You’re doing it wrong,” she scolded.

“Oh move over and stop being so bossy,” he rolled his eyes, making her drop her jaw in offense, “This isn’t rocket science. Only someone as clumsy as you would have to research how to put a diaper on a baby.”

She glared at him, her hands clearly holding the instructions from the diaper package that she had just got done reading thoroughly twice. Grumpily, she observed and secretly took mental notes as he went through the motions of gently cleaning and changing the baby boy on the couch.

Once he had secured the clean diaper, she scooped up the tiny person in his velvety blanket and cradled him.

“Uh, excuse me. It’s my turn to feed him,” he reminded sternly.

“He’s my baby so I get to feed him whenever I want.”

“He’s actually just as much my baby as yours, so if you don’t want to—“

“What? Going to kick me out?” she asked arrogantly.

“As a matter of fact that’s exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for not wasting my breath. Get out,” he narrowed his eyes at her.

She stuck her nose in the air and said, “No. I’m going to feed Tawan and then put him down for a nap.” She swaggered away without another word to the annoyed man, who chuckled the rolled up the dirty diaper into the garbage and followed her down the hall. “Sasithorn, give me my son.”

“Wait your turn Athit!”

------

Chapter 1
[Rewind back in time]

Dead. That was the word that echoed through his head louder than ever as he stood outside the wat a week after receiving the call. The only person who had ever been his family was dead, as truly as the dirt that lay beneath his feet. His eyes lifted to the gray sky, where the true sun seemed to hide in shame.

He entered the wat and searched out the memorial area that contained his brother’s name and ashes. Only then did he really catch sight of the flowers next to the memorial for the first time, and realized what they meant. The flowers meant that he was not the only one grieving for the loss of his friend and brother. His brother. Yet, the strangest thing was that he could not recollect anyone who would have taken the care to lay such beautiful flowers there. They were so clean that they must have just been laid out that very morning. His watch told him it was seven am. Who would have woken up before the sun to grieve for Tawan other than Athit himself?

------
Athit’s eyes opened, the misty sky peeking through the slit between the curtains hanging over the window. It was still early, but he couldn’t sleep any longer.

‘Take a break. Have some time to soak in the news,’ was what Wattana had suggested. Athit wasn’t sure how much more he could soak up; loneliness seemed to be endlessly generous, and grief all too willing company. And the duo was never complete without regret. Athit wished more than ever that he had spent as much time with Tawan as possible. But there had never been anything to suggest they wouldn’t have so much more time together.

Without knowing it, he was already on the road back to the wat. How mercilessly ironic. The person was gone and only now was lost time being made up.

Six am. Athit stood with hands shoved in his pocket, eyes on the red flowers, fresh as if each night the moon fed them with rejuvenating dew. Five days in a row he had come here and stared at these flowers that never wilted nor thrown out. Obviously they were being replaced every day.

Ambling back down the path on the wat grounds, Athit relived old memories. Their childhood, their education, the childish rivalry that only served to strengthen an everlasting bond. People said two suns couldn’t exist in one sky, but he and Tawan had proved them wrong. They never quarreled; they trusted each other with their lives. They’d kept in contact all the five years that Athit had gone abroad to work and never once was there a dip in their friendship. Except that five months earlier, he’d learned that Tawan had been keeping something from him. Upon hearing the news of what his brother had done, and who he had decided to work for, Athit had been adamant that Tawan back out. But Tawan insisted it was too late—Athit knew he was right too, and though his instincts told him to return home, Tawan swayed him into focusing on his work, promising his elder brother that nothing would go wrong, that their boss was taking care of him well.
And now, Tawan was gone.

Athit’s jaw stretched in a ferocious yawn. His curiosity was getting the better of him. He wanted to know who this person was who was visiting Tawan’s memorial every day, so he’d forced his butt out of bed at four am and was at the wat dark and early, the sky just barely tinted with pink.

His tired eyes blinked several times when a silhouette came into focus. Someone was outside the building. It had to be the one. Yes, there were the flowers. Athit drew closer and then his footsteps slowed. The person was a woman. And more clearly still, she was pregnant. Athit thought he would find answers, but he was now more confused than ever.

The next morning he was back and watched as the woman offered her flowers to Tawan, and sat on a mat on the ground. Why was she staying so long? He could see her lips moving. Athit breathed a light laugh not of derision but of amusement. The woman was talking to Tawan and having quite an animated discussion too, by the way her hands flew about with gestures and her smiles. Athit wondered if she was crazy. No, he had seen true insanity before.

Deciding not to disturb her, he stepped outside, took a deep breath from the morning air, and returned to the car, stretching his arms. There were other matters for him to think over also, he thought, as his hands clenched into fists.

For the next few days Athit continued to watch the woman from afar. He grew familiar with her face and her smile. She had large eyes and from his lookout spot, he wondered whether she was full blooded Thai. He could never catch any of her words clearly and without knowing why, he didn’t dare reveal himself. For some reason, he felt it would break some kind of spell, and the fact was, she looked so happy when she was sitting beside Tawan’s memorial, as if Tawan was right there next to her, that Athit felt like he could see his brother too.

Wattana asked over the phone, “Have any of the others contacted you?”

“No.” Athit hadn’t found it necessary to meet with any of his people in Thailand—at least not for now. But when he called for them, they would have a lot to answer for. He just wanted time alone at the moment. He yawned loudly.

“What’s up with you?”

“Tired. I’m going to bed now. Call if anything comes up.”

“What, already? It can’t be that late over there.”

Athit smiled. He still wasn’t used to his new sleep schedule, but was determined to keep up with the nameless woman.
------

“Damn.” He hurried into the memorial building, a yawn threatening to steal his breath. Panting from his rush, Athit arrived in time to see her push herself up from the ground. He still wondered how she could endure sitting on the hard ground for so long, but she never seemed to mind. Brushing her hands, then gathering yesterday’s flowers, she momentarily rested one hand on her slightly protruding belly and closed her eyes as if fighting off a dizzy spell. Athit put one foot out of the shadows, but the moment passed, and she strolled away in the opposite direction with a steady gait.

Standing in silence for a few minutes to stare at Tawan’s resting place, Athit finally decided to go back to the hotel. Nearing the wat’s entrance, he paused, with a strange ill-foreboding tingle sliding down his spine. What did it mean? He didn’t have a grasp on answers, but already, his feet turned around and retraced their way back where they’d come from. The memorial had a few other people, but the woman was gone. He tried one of the other exit routes. She was not yet in sight, but his feet didn’t stop nor did they turn around.

And now, they were running in reaction to the image that met his eyes –the woman had come into view. He witnessed the agonizing consequences of her feet halting, the forward motion of her body as it lost strength and the red flowers spilling across her body, trailing on the grass.

She opened her eyes to a half-darkness penetrated by soft light coming from a window. Bracing herself on her elbows, she blinked back the remainder of her grogginess and realized she was in a hospital room. That fact established, she instinctively pressed her hand to her abdomen, and relaxed when she felt the soft roundness.

“You’re awake.” Athit had been dozing lightly on the couch and only just noticed her movement. She returned his gaze with curiosity so that he felt compelled to reassure her. “Sorry I haven’t introduced myself. My name is Athit. I…” he noticed her eyes grew slightly rounder at the mention of his name, as if he had only just magically appeared, “I saw you at the wat when, you know, you fell, so I brought you here. How are you feeling?”

“Fine. Thank you.” She offered a gentle smile and he felt relieved that she wasn’t panicked or scared around him.

Having only watched her from afar before, he finally took note of her sharp yet delicate features—she was very pretty.

“I’m sorry to have bothered you. I should be going on my way now.”

“No!” He objected, seeing her about to push her blanket away. “You should wait until the doctor allows it. He said, er…” Athit winced sheepishly, “sorry, we didn’t know who to call, and I happened to be there so he told me about your health situation.”

“My situation of being pregnant?” she asked in a deadpan voice.

He glanced up and saw laughter in her eyes, and mentally laughed at himself for the roundabout words he chose. Biting back his own smile, Athit said, “It would be better if you rested well before leaving.”

She released a soft breath. “I’m grateful, but I can’t afford to stay here.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that. I’ll help you.”

“I couldn’t expect you to do such a thing, though I’m thankful for the offer.”

He watched in dismay as she slowly slid off the bed. “I’ve heard your voice before.”

His words made her pause. “Excuse me?” she asked.

Athit pursed his lips sternly. He was certain now, where he’d heard her voice. “Before you leave, let me ask you something. Why do you visit Tawan?”

She froze. They stared at one another as silence blanketed the atmosphere. “You saw me?”

He nodded. “Actually, I’ve watched you there for almost a week.” He stopped. “That…sounded a lot creepier than I meant it to.” As a smile stretched her face once more, he breathed a quiet laugh. “I’m sorry for not coming forward sooner,” he ruffled his hair.

“So it was you.”

“Hm?”

She lifted her eyes to him. “I kept having a feeling this past week like someone was present with me, and the aura was similar to Tawan’s, so I thought maybe his spirit was visiting me.” She seemed unembarrassed by her wishful thinking and chuckled at herself. “But no wonder your presence felt similar.”

“So…you mean you know who I am?”

She hesitated, then nodded.

“So it really was you, who called to tell me that he…died.”

Curious by this since she hadn’t given her name when they spoke over the phone, she asked, “How did you know?”

“I recognize your voice.”

Her eyes appraised him upon hearing this. “It’s just like what he told me about you. You memorize sounds well.”

This did not particularly please Athit. “Forgive me, but will you tell me your name? And how you met Tawan? Please,” he made his way over and led her to sit back on the bed comfortably. “I don’t know how close you were to him, but he would never give my phone number to just anyone.”

She pleasantly complied, “My name is…Sasithorn, and…” she smiled down at her slightly swollen abdomen. “Can you guess how close I was to Tawan?”

Of course, he had suspected they’d been in a relationship of some sort, but Athit hadn’t allowed himself to take that suspicion seriously. As if reading his thoughts, even though his face had given nothing away, Sasithorn said with amusement, “You must be wondering how it happened.” Her eyes glowed at some vivid endearing memories. “All it took was a moment of chance for us to meet and from there, he and I both knew we would be together.”

But why would Tawan have never mentioned her to Athit? As soon as the question formed, so did the answer. Athit observed the fragile woman beside him, thin yet sturdy, small yet full of energy. Tawan must have wanted to keep her safe.

“You said he told you about me…What sorts of things did he say?”

“Oh, nothing much about your job or…” she fished around idly for a word, “lifestyle. Just the important things, like your personality and passions.”

He couldn’t tell if she was serious or not. Anyone else would disagree that his “lifestyle” wasn’t important.

“There’s more I want to know.”

“I’m sure you have ways of finding more information than I could tell you.”

That was true, but those things could wait. He cleared his throat. “If you truly are Tawan’s woman, then as his brother, I wish to assist you as much as possible.”

“You must have more important things to take care of.”

“No. Nothing is as important as family…which is what you have become.” He firmly kept his eyes on her, serious and not wanting to hear any opposition. “Let me give you as much assistance as you need.”

“I guess…I could use a hand,” she smiled and it made him feel like she was doing him a favor. “I don’t really have anyone else.”

For some reason, he had assumed she was alone ever since seeing her. Yet he didn’t get the sense that she was a lonely person. “It’ll be easiest if we simply stay together in one place. Are you okay with that? I’ll make arrangements so you’ll be comfortable. Is there anything you need to move? Otherwise, I can provide whatever you need.”

Her face grew stern for the first time. “No. If we’re going to be living together, we must live at my apartment.”

His brow puckered. “Your apartment?” as if he could not fathom her suggestion.

Sasithorn’s face lit up again, nodding like a child who was excited about her new playmate. Athit wasn’t sure how, but her warm smile had a calming effect on him, and he was slowly understanding why Tawan had chosen to be with her.

------
comments worshipped !

jjinxx

jjinxx

Chapter 2

Her apartment was clean and small, and he wanted to do whatever would make Sasithorn most comfortable, so he consented to staying at her place, though he wished she had allowed him to give her better residence.

“I’m afraid there’s only one room, so…” She glanced at the couch.

He smiled, “Thanks. This will do just fine.” He entered and set a duffel bag down, peering out of the window at the narrow road below that was busy with cars and taxis. “Did Tawan ever come here?”

She joined him at his side. “M-hm.” Suddenly, she shook with giggles. “He used to complain about the geckos.”

“Geckos?”

“Don’t tell me you’re scared of them too?” she asked with fascinated eyes.

Athit snorted. “No.” Then he chuckled too, imagining Tawan paranoidly searching for small critters. “That wuss…”

“Are you hungry? I was about to cook dinner.”

He checked his watch. “You don’t have to worry about that…” Right then, the doorbell rang.

“Who could that be?”

“I’ll get it,” he made his way to the door and in came a solemn looking woman with bags of groceries. “Right on time,” he acknowledged her with a nod. She inclined her head respectfully back at him, then at Sasithorn, before stoically moving to the kitchen.

“Who did you just invite into my home?” Sasithorn asked, more with interest than with fear.

“Your new cook. From now on, you’re not going to be doing any physical labor. I’m also delivering some furniture and tomorrow you have an appointment at the doctor for a check up. Oh, and I’ve already informed your workplace that you won’t be employed for them anymore.”
For a moment, she stared in stunned silence.

. .

“Augh! Hey, let go!” Athit rubbed his ear in shock when Sasithorn released her death grip on it. After kicking out the cook, she had twisted his ear and dragged him to the table, forcing him down on a seat. It had been such a long time since he’d received physical punishment from anyone and especially someone who should have been so much weaker than him, that Athit was both indignant and in awe that Sasithorn had dared do it.

Hands on her hips, Sasithorn frowned at him severely. “Let’s make one thing clear. Just because I accepted your help and just because you have resources that I don’t, does NOT make it okay for you to run my life and make decisions for me.”

“But it was all with good intentions,” he argued.

“I understand that well, however, you cannot just change my life without informing me! And you better make sure I haven’t lost my job.”

“Look, I can afford these things, so it’s not like you need it—“

That only seemed to fuel her fury, as she narrowed her eyes to slits, which didn’t scare Athit, but he had to commend her for giving off such an authoritative air, “I’m not about to siphon a free living off of you. I accepted your offer to help while I am…not in optimal shape. BUT,” she snapped, “anything that has to do with my life, I can handle by myself. Is that clear?”

He stood up to tower over her darkly, but she didn’t back down and he wasn’t sure if that was just because she was a determined woman or if the child inside of her was hogging all her nutrition—because under normal conditions, anyone who received that look from him would have yielded to his demands. So he was forced to agree. “Fine…” he said reluctantly with a short sigh.

“And cancel whatever you ordered,” she made a face, “we don’t need any of it.”

Frowning in frustration, he caught the stern glare from her and took out his phone to obey, against his better judgment. “But you still have to go to the doctor appointment.” He said this with his brow set strictly so that she knew he wasn’t going to budge on this subject.

“Fine,” she compromised.

He got up to go make his calls.

When he returned, he found her on a chair putting the groceries that the chef brought over in the upper cupboards.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” He went over and promptly lifted her down.

“Okay, what the heck?” she asked, looking up at him in confusion.

“Hello, there happens to be a child inside of you who is off-setting the balance of your body making it highly possible that you fall and hurt yourself and said child, who happens to be the child of my brother too,” he scolded. “You know what, I’ll let you off this once because I’m sure all the brain power that goes into feeding your common sense is being absorbed by the child, but don’t let me catch you without your feet planted on the ground again, got that?” He caught the amused expression on her face and narrowed his eyes to make sure she knew he wasn’t joking. “Got it?” he repeated in a low voice.

“Yes sir,” she saluted him with twinkling eyes.

He unfolded his arms and looked at the remaining groceries. “I can finish up here. You go rest.”

She scoffed, “Being pregnant does not make me a handicap. I’m not tired either. I’m hungry.”

“I’ll go buy dinner in a bit.”

“Why? We have all these groceries,” she pointed out.

“Well who’s going to cook? Cause the chef’s gone and I sure as hell can’t.”

She looked at Athit like he was slow. “I’M going to cook.”

He looked back at her like she was the slow one. “Let’s back up. I believe I stated very clearly that you are not allowed to be on your feet doing physical work.”

She blinked in disbelief. “But I’m hungry,” she repeated.

“That’s why I said I’ll go buy dinner.”

“I don’t want restaurant food, I want to eat a home-cooked meal.”

“But you can’t because it’s too much work.”

“No it’s not.”

“For someone of your…” he waved his hand at her, “…condition, it IS.”

She gave him a ‘WTH’ look at his vague description of her current pregnancy state. Sighing, she said, “I can make a quick meal.”

“Not gonna happen,” he shook his head.

“Oh my gosh, it’s no big deal,” she argued. “I can whip up a really simple dish for the both of us, just like that,” she snapped her fingers.

“I think it’s best if you follow my advice.”

Frowning stubbornly, she said, “Well I’m not going to.”

“Well you’re not cooking,” he responded unyieldingly.

“Then WHAT do you suggest, Mr. Athit?”
“Sh1t,” Athit cussed as he dropped the scalding pot-cover into the sink. After briefly blowing on his hands, he added some mutilated pieces of vegetables into the boiling water, which splashed unexpectedly at him, making him quickly withdraw his hands with another well chosen swear word under his breath. Sweat draped his temples as he turned back to the island counter.

His inexperience and the heat from the stove making him edgy, Athit took his frustration out on the fish on the cutting board. Chop! Off with its head.

“Now rinse it and add it to the pot,” came Sasithorn’s instructions.

After Sasithorn realized he wasn’t going to give in, she came up with the idea for him to do the cooking under her direction, and after realizing that SHE wasn’t going to give in, Athit agreed. Of course, he wasn’t so sure he should have yielded so fast. Two fingers on his left hand were adorned with Mickey Mouse bandaids after the knife accidentally caressed them—not that they hurt or anything, but the band aids made his fingers stiff which got in the way of his already clumsy efforts at cooking. And this was only after he had failed to boil water, having carelessly turned on the wrong knob on the stove and made them wait a curiously long fifteen minutes before realizing why the water was not bubbling.

“Wah!” he leaped back when the slippery headless fish slipped from his hand and dived into the pot.

“You should have kept it on the cutting board and just slid it slowly in,” Sasithorn chided, shaking her head. “I could have gotten this done so much faster…”

He sent her a resentful glare for not appreciating all his efforts to make things easier for her, though if he had to admit—and NO ONE could make him admit it—he agreed with her.

“You’ve never cooked before, have you? You’re such a stereotypical man.”

“Excuse me?” he turned to her, hand on his hip. “I have indeed cooked before.” How did she think he and Tawan survived their childhood? “And for your information, I’m not ANY kind of typical in the world.”

“Okay, no need to get offended,” she raised a brow.

He tossed hair away from his forehead, “Anyway, it’s not like you’re not used to this. I mean, Tawan never cooked either.”

“He cooked all the time.”

If he’d been sitting, Athit would have fallen off his chair. “What?!”

“You didn’t know?”

He shook his head in amazement, as if he’d discovered the eighth wonder of the world. “Tawan…cooking?”

“Why is that so hard to believe? I mean, look at you.”

Athit looked down at his apron and then up at the wooden spoon in his hand. He closed his eyes against how ridiculous he must look at that moment and was thankful nobody he knew was there to see him.

“Geez, it’s not such a bad thing being a man who cooks,” Sasithorn said, reading his mind.

“Well maybe not in your world, but in mine…”

She nodded understandingly, “You’d probably lose all your credentials if you went to work with ‘Kiss the Cook’ on any article of clothing you wore.”

He nodded back solemnly, before he returned his narrowed gaze to her. “And what would you know about my credentials? I thought you said Tawan never told you about my job.”

“He didn’t much. Anyway, add some salt,” she said.

Not fully content with her answer, he set aside his suspicion for now. There would be time later to question her about just how much she knew. Athit decided to focus on the task at hand and took hold of the salt container and daintily shook it over the pot.

“More.”

He shook.

“More.”

He shook.

“For goodness sake Athit!”

“What?! I don’t know how much is enough and I don’t want to overdo it.”

She creased her brow in amusement, certain that there were few things in life that he was this awkward at. Even if she hadn’t known him long, simply his demeanor that exuded self-confidence told the world he was used to being good at everything. Sasithorn leaned her elbows on the counter and observed his rugged features that pronounced the masculinity in him, while his concentration on the food produced an adorable side effect.

“Athit, you’re handsome.”

He looked her strange. “Sister-in-law, are you hitting on me?”

She rolled her eyes at him. “Uh, NO. I just like to give well-deserved compliments.” And he did deserve it, because as overbearing as he already was, he had been nothing but kind to her. If anyone was cruel, they could never be beautiful in her eyes. “Thanks.”

“What for?”

“For making dinner.”

“By the way, let me know when it’s ready, ‘cause if you leave it up to me, I’d judge based on the smoke alarm.”

Snickering, she told him, “Let it simmer for ten minutes and then we’re gold.”

Finally, they sat down at the table for dinner. Sasithorn looked over and almost laughed out loud at the face he was making down at his bowl. He looked repulsed by what he’d created. The fish meat was broken in chunks since he’d over-stirred and the lumps of vegetables swimming in the bowl flaunted their ugly shapes proudly.

Clearing his throat, trying to hide his embarrassment, Athit said, “…you don’t have to eat it. I can quickly pick something up from—“ he stopped abruptly when seeing her chomp a spoonful of the stew. Great, he had poisoned Tawan’s girlfriend.

“Mm…” she made a thoughtful face after swallowing.

What was that, a moan of pain before she keeled over? Then Sasithorn couldn’t help it anymore. She burst out laughing.

Her giggles subsiding as he looked at her like she was crazy, she said, “Athit, you need to relax.”

“How can I relax when Tawan’s ghost will be haunting me tonight for feeding you this crap?” He scoffed in disgust with himself. “Let’s toss it.”

She stopped him from reaching for her bowl. “Whoa! You didn’t even try it, why would you throw it away. If there’s one rule you have to follow under my roof, it’s that we don’t waste food.” She pointed her spoon at him and motioned for him to taste the soup.

Hesitantly, he picked up his spoon and dipped it in his bowl, bringing up a chunk of meat. Grimacing, he forced himself to eat it…and was surprised that it was actually…

“Not bad, Chef Athit,” Sasithorn beamed over at him, and helped herself to more. “Not bad at all.”

How in the world… “Well,” he said, slowly coming to terms with the impossible, “I guess you’re right.”

“Yep…”

“I mean, how can there be anything in the world that I can’t do?” Or maybe it wasn’t so hard to accept his newfound skill after all.

She shook her head at his inflated ego, but allowed him to gloat, since she knew it was his determination and sincerity that had made him so successful that night. Sasithorn mentally nodded in approval of her lover’s brother and knew at that moment that she could trust him.

-------

Thanks for the comments, Kiki and Bieluvr! Hugs!

jjinxx

lis94

sarNie Hatchling
Awww tat was tooo kute n funny@ the same time lol i love how tis is starting out! Cant wait for more :D

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Haha, I love your long chapters because they give me more to read. Please continue with long chapters na! :) Loving it so far.

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
I really enjoy this story.  Keep up the good work na and thanks for writing!

jjinxx

Chapter 3

They finished dinner and Athit volunteered to clean up the dishes. He was just wiping up the counter and sink when an ominous thump sounded from the bathroom. Tossing the towel aside, he hurried down the hall and stood at the bathroom door.

“Sasithorn?” he knocked. “Hey, are you okay in there?” When all he heard was an incoherent groan, he immediately opened up the door—and just as quickly, he shut it again.

“Athit?! Aren’t you going to help me?”

Fcuk, that’s right, he smacked his forehead. “Coming in!”

She had slipped on the water that dripped from the sink’s pipes but was thankfully unhurt. Athit had gone in with his eyes half-closed and re-wrapped her towel, then carried her to her room.
When she was done changing, he came in to check on her.

“Be more careful next time, will you? Sheesh, we need to fix this place up…” Athit heard a suspicious cough from Sasithorn as she settled down in her bed. He gave her a narrowed look. True to his thought, she was stifling a laugh. “What is so amusing?”

“You Athit,” she giggled quietly, “You’re so cute.”

For reasons unfathomable to him, Athit blushed. No one in his life had been able to make him feel so embarrassed before, yet this little lady had him avoiding eye contact and unable to retort with anything. He agreed it was quite ridiculous; the female body was nothing new to him. But still.

“Are you really that shy?”

“Are you really NOT shy about it” he asked and was surprised when she shook her head innocently at him.

“It’s just a bit of skin and it wasn’t on purpose,” she said, referring to him almost having to see her naked.

“Well that’s like…like…” he screwed up his face, “I dunno, INCEST.”

For a second, she didn’t know whether to laugh or not at his declaration, seeing as he was a grown man who was so embarrassed over something that she herself was not troubled about, and making such a naïve comment.

Athit finally braved a glance at her and was further taken aback to see her touched eyes shining with unshed tears. “W-what’s wrong? Oh god,” he grimaced, “I didn’t mean it like that. You’re a very attractive woman it’s just that…”

She bit her smiling lips, which continued to confuse him. “Athit, it’s okay, I know you didn’t mean to insult me. Sorry,” she chuckled, “It’s just that I like the way you treat me like a sister. It makes me feel less lonely.”

Stunned, Athit was at a loss for words, and his heart tingled with warmth. Until that moment, he had not confronted the idea that he himself was also lonely, and being around Sasithorn felt…nice. They were both two people longing for a person who was gone. “Hey,” he caught her attention with his gentle tone, “from now on, I’ll always have your back.”

She smiled at him. “Thank you.” She glanced at her hands.

“What is it?”

“Um…I have a request. Can you…stay with me until I fall asleep?” Her long lashes glistened with a touch of tears, looking unabashedly hopeful up at him.

Athit nodded. “Sure.”

She lowered herself under the blankets and sighed a yawn. He smiled, seeing her so tired already, and reached to turn off the light, leaving a small lamp on. As she traveled further into dreamland, Athit looked around the room and noticed a single picture frame, which contained a photo of Sasithorn with Tawan.

“Damn it. How could you leave us so soon?” he whispered into the night.

Sunlight shined through his eyelids. He drew in a deep breath as his hand clutched something hard. The picture frame was in his grasp the entire night as he sat by the bed, it seemed. Oddly, his senses told him that Sasithorn’s bed was empty, effectively waking him up.  Athit made his way out to the living area where a form on the couch stirred, causing him to instinctively grab the nearest object to him and raise it in defense.

Sasithorn’s lively face appeared from behind a book and she looked at him. “Well good morning to you too.”

Athit’s racing heart slowed as he realized he was holding a ceramic vase above his head. “Crap,” he muttered, lowering it back to the table. “Sorry.” He stooped to quickly retrieve the flowers that had fallen out in the process and stuffed them back into the vase.

Sasithorn did not look in the least freaked out that Athit had nearly attacked her with the seemingly harmless piece of décor. “Please place those nicely back.”

“Are these like your favorite flowers or something?” he recognized the red flowers that were frequently offered upon Tawan’s grave.

She nodded toward the window sill, where she had planted another row of blood-red tulips, their petals drinking in the early sun’s rays.

“Why are you up so early?”

“Ever since I developed my CONDITION, I’ve been napping a lot and getting up early,” she explained, using his word. Setting her book down, she said, “And I wanted to visit Tawan today. I thought you might want to come.”

Athit nodded back silently. “Have you had breakfast? What do you want to eat?”

“Eggs and broccoli and…mango.”

He looked weirded out by this combination.

“I thought I’d wait till you got up so I wouldn’t get an earful again.”

“Good thinking,” he murmured at her light sarcasm.

“Chop chop! I’m hungry and there are two stomachs to feed.” She pushed him toward the kitchen.

“Someone’s taking advantage…”

Being a fast learner, Athit got the hang of handling the kitchen environment and successfully scrambled up some eggs with a side of broccoli and mangos for Sasithorn. “We should get back a bit early. You have your appointment at 10:30.”

“Where is it at?” she crunched through the broccoli.

“Bumrungrad,”

Sasithorn whipped her head up at him. “What?”

“Bumrungrad,” he said again, unaware of her displeasure.

“Cancel it.”

“What?” he took his turn double-checking his ears and Sasithorn obliged.

“Cancel it. I have a better place.”

“But Bumrungrad is the best in the country.”

“I didn’t say it wasn’t. I just said I have a better place.”

“But you can’t HAVE a better place than the best in the country,” he replied, voice dripping with exaggerated patience.

Unconcerned, Sasithorn insisted, “Trust me, I know what I’m doing.”

“I seriously doubt it.”

This time, she glared at him. “Athit, do as I ask you.”

He knew he had hit a dead end with her once again. “Argh, can’t you just do one thing that I suggest?”

She remained adamant, and said, “I know my body and I don’t need to go all the way to Bumrungrad for something that can be easily taken care of closer to home.”

Now curious because she appeared so confident, Athit asked, “Really? Where is it?”

“Around the neighborhood. I have a very good midwife already.”

“Midwife? Okaaay,” he said slowly, “How about we do this? If we go see this…midwife…and they don’t meet my standards, I’m taking you to Bumrungrad tomorrow.” He got up to clear his dishes before she could argue again.

“Good morning Tawan dear,” Sasithorn sang when they approached the familiar memorial with its pure white marble stone shelf that held the remains of the person they both missed.

“Wait,” Athit stopped her from sitting, and spread out a blanket on the ground. “There.” He looked up to see her bright smile once more, so that he responded with a smile of his own without hesitation. He helped her sit.

“Ah!” Sasithorn kissed the tips of her fingers and pressed them to the stone. “How are you doing? Getting lots of sun? He was always very pale,” she said aside to Athit, who snickered in amusement. “And I bet there aren’t any tulips as beautiful as ours where you are, so here’s some just for you.” She patted the flowers, then sighed. “It might be a while before I get to come again, but it’s okay, because I’ll just keep thinking about you. You know that right?”

They two of them had agreed that she shouldn’t venture out this far as often as in the past because she would not be fit to keep walking here in the future. But she was untroubled, and continued to weave stories to tell to Tawan’s spirit.

“…he almost burned himself…” she laughed.

“Hey, don’t ruin my reputation in front of Tawan,” Athit said without even thinking, and then realized he was joining in on her talks.

Sasithorn grinned. “But your brother is taking very good care of me, so you don’t have to worry about anything. But Tawan, can you help him not be so stubborn?”

He spared her a look, before saying, “Tawan, can you help persuade her to listen to me more? She’s like a disobedient child.”

“Hmph, don’t listen to him,” Sasithorn urged.

Athit stepped out of his sleek black Mercedes, and slowly removed his sunglasses. It was lucky that he had decided last year to upgrade to an actual car in place of his old motorcycle. He could hardly escort Sasithorn around with the two-wheeler vehicle. “Why are we here?”

Sasithorn grinned over at him from the other side of the car. “This is where my midwife works.”

“Your midwife works here?” he asked, slack-jawed.

“Well, actually they LIVE here, but same difference.” She shrugged and started across the sidewalk towards the dwelling that was one of the many attached in a long brick structure down the street.

“Are you sure?” he inquired in the same tone that he thought she was once again, lacking common sense.

“Hurry up, slow poke.” She rang the doorbell and a few seconds later, a person opened up the door. Under an unruly head of dark hair, magnified eyes looked at them through over-sized glasses.

“Plerngkrit? Oh my gosh, I’m so glad you’re finally back from your trip. It’s me, Sasithorn,” she greeted enthusiastically.

The person smiled with pleasure, “Of course I know you. But your name—“

“Oh, you remember the good old times at school, and remember when we first met and I introduced myself as Sasithorn,” she motioned to herself, before turning to explain to Athit, “we went to school together. He’s a good friend.”

“…?” Plerng looked off to the side like he was bewildered by something, then shrugged and said, “Sup? How’s it going? Wow, you’re getting BIG!” He reached over and hugged Sasithorn, as they both squealed in glee. This reunion was interrupted when they were pulled apart abruptly.

“Wait…” Athit closed his eyes momentarily, “your midWIFE…is a GUY!?”

“I am?” Plerng asked, before quickly correcting himself, “I mean, not the part about being a guy, cause that’s like, not even a question. But, since when did I become your midwife?”

The two men looked at Sasithorn for answers, and she just smiled innocently at them. “Plerng, you have extensive medical knowledge right?”

He nodded slowly, “I studied it a bit on the side in uni.”

“Well as you can see, I’m about to have a baby, and because someone here,” she glanced at a ruffled Athit, “thinks I need prenatal advice, I thought, who better than my best friend?”

The two paused for a second. Athit was about to say how ridiculous he thought she was being but was beat to the chase by Plerng.

“That’s a great idea! I’ve always wanted to be a doctor!” He and Sasithorn began excitedly talking again, ignoring Athit who was trying to get a word in, but they were already heading down the hall.

“Do you want anything to eat or drink?”

“Ooh, how about some chocolate milk?”

Athit, having no choice, had followed them, but froze at the doorway, assessing the kitchen. He took in the dirty dishes, the stains on the walls, brushes littering the counter that had a mixture of canned food and Chinese take-out boxes displayed in a line like trophies.

“Ok!” Plerng turned from where he was reaching for a glass cup, “W-wait! Where are you going?”

“Athit, stop this instant!”

“We’re leaving.”

“No, can you just wait—“

“There is no way that guy has the ability to be a midwife.” He scoffed the last word. They were outside and when Sasithorn kept struggling to break away from his grasp, he reached over and lifted her in his arms.

“Athit!” she yelped. “Put me down! We are going back in!”

“WE are going to Bumrungrad where the first thing they do will be to sterilize you from head to toe.”

He thought of the mess in the kitchen they’d just encountered and grimaced.

“Oh please, it wasn’t that bad. Plerng just got back from a trip; he didn’t have time to clean up and his—“

“Speaking of which, why would you think I’d let that BOY take care of Tawan’s child?” He shook his head at her. “Unbelievable.”

She growled back, “You said you wanted the best and that’s what Plerng is!”

“Him? The one that hasn’t even hit puberty yet?” Athit nearly laughed, “Man, Tawan’s kid is definitely hogging all the—OW! Ah ah!”

“Put me down,” Sasithorn ordered and with his ear about to be twisted off, Athit didn’t take long to obey.

“Woman, are you crazy? I almost dropped you!”

Glaring seriously at him, she smacked his arm. “For your information, I have a perfectly good reason for choosing Plerng. He’s the best.”

“At what, musical chairs? That boy—“

“That boy is twenty five years old and graduated top of his class from Chulalongkorn.”

Athit’s mouth froze, giving him a flabbergasted expression. “What?”

“He looks younger than his age but he’s a grown man who is quite well-rounded and intellectual.”

Still not over the information she had dished out, Athit asked, “Whoa, wait. He’s not fifteen?”

She rolled her eyes. “Trust me, he’s perfect.”

“But…”

“Athit,” she said impatiently, “I am not going anywhere else today. And that was really rude of you to just drag us out of his house.”

He had reluctantly followed her back to Plerng’s house.

“I’m sorry about that earlier,” Sasithorn apologized.

“Oh, don’t sweat it,” Plerng grinned.

She looked at Athit expectantly but when it was clear he wasn’t planning to apologize—seeing as he was giving Plerng completely distrusting body language, from his glare to his crossed arms—she continued on.

“I hope you don’t mind me imposing like this. Of course, if you’re busy I completely understand.”

“Girl, you know I would do anything for you. I’m actually in touch with my friend Dr. Phonboon, do you remember from year three?”

“Uh huh.”

“Don’t worry about a thing. Just leave it to me,” Plerng said enthusiastically, completely unaware of Athit’s intense scrutiny and distrust—or perhaps simply so confident in himself that he didn’t care.

Plerng was just as eager to help Sasithorn as Athit was eager to keep him away. But hearing Plerng get all worked up and talk about planning to help her with dietary necessities, the progress of her child’s growth, and this and that, Athit slowly realized that the boy really did know what he was talking about. He even told them about his trip abroad working as a physician’s assistant for a year.

As the hour passed by, however much Athit wanted to remain skeptical, he learned that Plerngkrit was quite a clever person, and artistic too (the stains on his kitchen walls were actually his own paintings in the process, that Athit had been too quick to judge correctly).

After the two friends talked and agreed to meet again later that week, Sasithorn and Athit were back in his car on their way to the apartment, where she filled him in on more of Plerng’s background.

“Whoa whoa whoa, so that kid—“ Athit stopped himself seeing Sasithorn’s warning glance, “I mean, that guy back there is a retired millionaire?”

“Plerng’s a good investor, so while he knows how to do a lot of things, he also doesn’t have to work. Anyway, you can’t judge him based on his house just like how you can’t judge him based on his appearance. Plerng really is a smart guy. I know he’ll take good care of me. Besides, he’s my best friend, and has experience with medicine, so I don’t care about any of your objections.”

Athit sighed to himself. He’d just have to wait until their first “appointment” with her “midwife” and then he’ll try to convince her that she needed more professional health care.

“Anyway, just so you know, I’m having people come over to fix this place up. Ah-ah!” He stopped her from protesting, “You nearly had an accident last night due to the leaky sink. I’m not sparing any chances on you getting hurt again, so this time you can’t argue.”

She lifted her chin, and smiled. “Well, I guess I have to thank you.” She knew she should have called for maintenance on her apartment a while ago but since Tawan’s death, she’d been too distracted to pay attention to anything but work.

“And even though you will keep your job, you’re taking time off, starting now,” Athit went on.

She decided not to argue with that either. “Fine.”

Instinctively, he reached over and patted her head with approval. The atmosphere was comfortable and warm, Athit sensed it with a slight awe, because it was so different from his normal interaction with people and left him feeling that this moment, along with the bond growing between him and Sasithorn, was precious.

“Make sure they don’t touch my flowers.”

“Yes ma’am.”

She beamed at his obedience.

------A/N
Introducing Mario Maurer as Plerng.

Thansk for reading!

jjinxx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
This is such a relaxed and joyous story and I love every minutes of it!   Thank you, jjinxxy!

jjinxx

Chapter 4

They returned from their first appointment with Plerng’s “medical services” and Athit said “I’m still not convinced about him,” just because he didn’t want Sasithorn to be too smug. In fact, Plerng had impressed Athit with the extent of his knowledge and practical awareness of what he was doing, while Sasithorn discussed with him about her pregnancy and all the physical side effects.

“You’ll get used to him.”

True to her word, even with Athit’s wariness, after a few visits, he’d become very involved with consulting Plerng about Sasithorn’s health. Aside from his knowledge, Plerng was receptive enough to Athit that he cleaned his house up until it sparkled, giving the latter no reason to dispute.

“I’ve been meaning to ask you two…are you the father of Sasithorn’s baby?” Plerng asked at their third meeting.

“No,” they both answered.

“She’s my sister-in-law,” Athit said, with a subtle undertone that said this should be even more pressure for Plerng to do well.

“Anyway, today we will be doing breathing exercises. Sasithorn, come sit on this mat. Athit, you sit on this mat.”

“What for?”

“It’s interactive. Both of you should participate.”

Yielding, Athit took his place beside Sasithorn.

“Now, we close our eyes and breathe in,” Plerng instructed. “Breathe in, breath out, breathe in, Athit you’re not following along, breathe out…”

“Why should I?”

“You need to participate.”

“I’m not the one giving birth.”

“Ah, but your understanding of this is just as important, being the closest to Sasithorn during this whole process. You’re going to be there when she gives birth right?”

“If…if she wants me to be.” They exchanged glances and Sasithorn smiled.

“Athit, it would mean the world to me if you were there.”

Her bright face, the amount of trust she spoke with, warmed his heart.

“See? And for you to give the best assistance possible, since she can go into labor without notice, you have to be aware of all of her vital signs.”

“Fine…” Feeling silly, as if there were people looking in on the three of them, Athit shut his eyes and breathed with the other two.

“Now we’re going to have Athit sit behind Sasithorn,” Plerng gestured, and Athit obeyed, seating himself behind her and reached his hands around to rest on her stomach.

“Are you sure about this?”

“It’s okay Athit,” she reassured, still doing the relaxing exercise.

“The purpose is to be harmonized with one another. If you’re in sync with her feelings, you’ll be able to react quickly when things change, like if she starts having serious contractions. You won’t have doubts and delay going to the hospital.”

“Won’t it be pretty obvious when she’s going to have the baby?” Athit asked.

“Oh my gosh!” Sasithorn gasped and began breathing faster and faster.

Athit freaked out. “What! What is it? Ohmagod, the baby’s coming! Holy shit!” He began breathing fast like she was. “What do we do?”
But then his brow creased in confusion as her body shook with laughter.

“W…what the…You’re okay?!” he demanded.

When she finally calmed her giddiness, Sasithorn found a very grouchy Athit looking at her with his jaw dropped. “You were just joking?!”

“I wasn’t joking…not really. I felt the baby move.”

“Excellent!” Plerng announced.

“What the heck?” Athit was outraged by her false alarm.

“Hehe. Sorry, but I wanted to test your confidence.”

Knowing he’d been proven wrong, he sighed in defeat. “Ok, I get it…”

“Let’s get back to work,” Plerng chuckled.

“Come on Athit,” Sasithorn bugged him as he stubbornly kept his arms crossed, “I won’t do that again.”

After giving her a stern look, he grumpily let her settle back in his arms. Just as his hand touched her stomach, Athit felt the most peculiar jolt. “Whoa!”

“What?” Plerng asked.

“I j-just…it moved. The baby! I felt it move!” Eyes lighting up in fascination, Athit stayed still and was once more amazed to feel a kick where his hand was. “Holy…” He looked down at Sasithorn, whose face was pure delight that he was in such awe, and he felt an unrestrained smile split across his face.

“Wow…Tawan’s baby. I can’t believe it.”

“Let’s watch a movie.” Sasithorn randomly pointed at a dvd cover. Athit put in the movie, ‘Just Like Heaven.’

“Tawan liked this movie.”

“He was always such a romantic.”

“I asked him once what he’d be doing if he had been born into a different life.”

“What did he say?”

Sasithorn’s eyes twinkled in the semi-darkness of the living room. “He said he didn’t believe that was possible, because people can’t escape their destinies. And he said it didn’t matter to him as long as one thing stayed the same.” The girlish grin on her face was full of love. “Meeting me.” She allowed a roll of her eyes before adding, “And being your brother. That was something he always made clear of being proud of.” Athit gave a half-smile. Hesitating before asking, she glanced over at him. “Athit? Where did you go this morning?”

For the first time since moving in with her, he’d told her yesterday that he had to go to work. If Athit hadn’t answered her, she wouldn’t have been offended, but he replied, “I was meeting with someone who had information I needed.”

“About Tawan?” She didn’t want him to be vague.

“…Yes.”

After a few minutes, she said, “I’d like to think I knew Tawan well. That’s why I think he would have preferred it if you weren’t too caught up in how he died.”

Athit didn’t let his face betray anything. “We both knew him well. And what you’ll learn is that I’m not as good of a person as he was. I can’t let this go.”

She peered over and found him focusing on the movie, but even if his face was a closed book, Sasithorn could read into his heart, because she understood his loss.

“Athit!” she whispered. He looked over. “Come here! Quick!”

Worried, he scooted closer to her on the couch and she took his hand and placed it on her protruding stomach. “Did you catch it?”

“Yeah,” he nodded, a soft smile denting his dimples in. When he placed his hand on her stomache, the sensation of some limb curving into his palm set his heart above the clouds. “Yeah, that little squirt sure knows how to make you miserable,” he joked.

“It seems to calm down every time you say something…” she noted with interest as she felt more movement.

“Really?” He leaned closer and spoke, “Are you sure?”

She smiled, “Yeah, I can feel him settling down now. Mm…” She quickly thought an idea. “Wait here!” Racing away at a speed so fast he didn’t have time to scold her for it, she returned with an object in her hands. “I’m sure it will help the baby go to sleep,” she said excitedly.

Athit shook his head. “Sorry, but it’s been a while. Too long that I’ve lost my touch.”

“Aw, please?” she pouted with rounded eyes. “Just once. Tawan told me you’re phenomenal with this, and if he’s already that good, then you must be exceptional. Please?”

“Sorry Sasithorn. I don’t feel up to it.” He determinedly avoided looking at the object she held and so she disappointedly leaned the guitar that had belonged to Tawan against the wall.

When she was back on her side of the couch, he stole a glance at her. “Sorry.”

“You don’t have to be,” she replied with that neverending smile. “I’m sure you have your own reasons. But just to warn you, I’m very determined to hear you play at least once. Now, I’m going to tell you about when I met Tawan.”

He perked up with interest. His brother had not once mentioned Sasithorn’s existence to him. How the two could have struck up an acquaintance was not within Athit’s realm of imagination.

She had just gotten off the train after work and was passing through the station when her ears began picking up a melody echoing her way. Walking on further, she saw a man sitting on the ground, leaning on the station wall, playing the guitar. He played so beautifully, she barely noticed the rough noise of the engines and people around her.
His fingers sought out, plucking and pressing strings that sang out with hardly having to think about it.
Tawan glanced over and found a coin dropped into the hat he had set down beside him when he got there, totally not intended as a collection vessel. But he raised his eyes and beheld a much more pleasant sight. In front of him crouched a young lady, her face glowing with enjoyment of his music and a smile that made Tawan’s heart pump faster as if it had only come to life, greedy for the sweetness of air, at that instant when their eyes met.

Athit snorted out a laugh. “You thought he was a beggar?” She glanced at him sullenly and continued.

A few days later. Surprised when she saw the same man, she wondered if he meant to continue making a living at this very spot. Something in his eyes when he looked up at her made her feel he’d been waiting for her, and her breath shortened. Then she smiled. She placed another coin into his hat, but this time, also accompanied it with one of the tulips from the bouquet she’d brought home with her. He returned the smile in gratitude.
The next day, she was disappointed to see he was no longer there. She walked on towards the exit. But just as soon as disappointment had settled in her heart, she heard the guitar again. Turning, she stopped to see the man before her, grinning. He looked transformed, his previous ragged clothing were replaced with those of finer quality, from his black leather jacket to his boots, adding to his devilish charm. Fastened to his instrument was her tulip.
Tawan spoke first. “Miss, do you know the meaning of red tulips?”

Athit sighed in amusement. He could see it now, how simple coincidence had led the two romantics together. Tawan falling instantly for Sasithorn came as no surprise either.

“So what do red tulips mean?”

Sasithorn smiled. “You’ll know it one day.”

An hour later when Sasithorn had ceased to rustle about, Athit looked over and found her asleep. Gently, he carried her down the short hall to her room.

“…Athit…”

“Sorry, did I wake you?”

She merely smiled sleepily as he pulled the covers over her. “…I have something I’ve kept from you…” she yawned, burrowing into the mattress. “…but I’ll tell you tomorrow.”

He couldn’t help grinning to himself. She had such a way of making herself not guilty of anything, and  it wasn’t intentional, but just her true innocent outlook on life which was paired with her innate toughness that had his heart growing devoted to her day by day. It would be hard for him to ever be mad at her. He tucked back the short hair away from her face.

“Good night.”
Stretching his arms over his head, Athit woke up to the pounding of the door. Throwing his blanket onto the couch, Athit hurried to the door and looked through the door-hole. An unfamiliar woman was on the other side.

Opening up the door, he raised a brow in question. “Who are you?”

The woman, dressed in starched shirt and blazer and dress pants with her hair twisted up in a bun, gave off an air of strong dislike for him, though they’d barely met for a minute. “My name is Sasithorn, and I believe my sister lives here.”

------
Thank you Bieluvr and Vimalee <3

jjinxx

jjinxx

Chapter 5 *Introducing Margie Rasri as Ratree, whom Athit (and you all) thought was Sasithorn*

“Athit, who is it?”

“Ratree,” the woman standing upon the threshold turned to her, face set sternly.

“Sasi…” she gasped.

Athit’s eyes swung from one to the other, utterly perplexed.

“What are you doing here?” Sasithorn—Ratree?—asked.

Athit tried to ask, “Whoa, what—“

“Surprised that I finally found you?” the stranger replied.

Athit held up a hand, “Um, what do you mean—“

“No, I knew you would find me sooner or later.”

“Hold on!” Athit cut in, “What is going on here?”

The unknown woman who called herself Sasithorn merely shot him a look of disdain that spelled out she didn’t even find him worthy of talking to.

He started to say, “Um, Sasi—“

“Athit, come here!” she quickly grabbed him and paused long enough to say, “Stay here, I have to enlighten him a bit about something,” to the other woman and then dragged him down the hall to her bedroom.

As he locked the door, Athit demanded, “You have more than a bit to enlighten me about. Who is that?” and more importantly, “Why did she call you…by a different name? Did she come to the wrong place?”

Like a child caught telling a falsehood, she grinned sheepishly, “That’s what I told you last night that I was keeping from you. And I was going to tell you the truth today but my sister showed up and—“

“She’s your sister?”

She nodded, and even more like a child caught telling a falsehood, Athit was aware that she was not entirely too guilty and expected to be forgiven. Slowly, he asked, “Alright…so she really is your sister.”

Nod.

“And your name’s not Sasithorn?”

Nod.

“Your name is Ratree.”

Nod.

Her name is…is Sasithorn.”

Nod.

Still at odds with this revelation, he took a deep breath. “Why did you never inform me you had siblings?””

“Sibling,” she corrected his plural use. “And, well, you never asked.”

True, he thought. “Did Tawan know you as Ratree?”

“Of course,” she said, sounding mildly like she found him absurd for thinking she would lie to her lover.

“Then,” the most important question of all, “Why did you lie to me?”

She bit her lip in hesitance before answering. “Because Tawan made me promise.”

Brow dipping in further confusion, he could only respond with a, “Huh?”

“Tawan told me once that it’s crucial that if anyone who knew him approached me, I had to lie about my identity, because my safety depended on it after he started…his new job.” She eyed him earnestly, eager to make him understand her reasoning. “I mean, I trust you Athit, I honestly do! But I also trusted Tawan with my life, so when I recalled his words, I couldn’t help it. And—and it was the only thing I’ve kept from you, really.” As he continued to remain silent, she frowned worriedly. “Are you mad? I only did what I thought was best since Tawan wouldn’t have made me promise without good reason, right? Athit? Did I hurt your feelings?”

He breathed a short, sudden laugh. “My feelings?” he shook his head, even now amused by her sensitivity, though he immediately softened his eyes seeing her still looking anxious. “You don’t have to worry about that. I’m not angry. In fact, I approve that you heeded Tawan’s caution,” he fondly patted her hair, a reassuring touch that brought back the smile on her lips. “I’m sure he never counted on us meeting without him to introduce us. But I have to say, he’s right--aside from me, if anyone looks suspicious and says they know me or Tawan, you still have to lie about your identity. Understood Ratree?”

“Yes!” she said obediently. “Whew! It sounds so much better to hear you call me my real name.”

“Anyway, what’s up with your sister? She made it sound like she was hunting for you?”

“Because I ran away from home,” she replied, shrugging nonchalantly.

Never having imagined Ratree as a truant who would run away, Athit looked doubtfully down at her.

She shook her finger at him. “Uh-uh, don’t judge me. I’m a grown woman and can make decisions for my life and have successfully been living on my own for two years now.”

More doubt arose. “Two years? Don’t tell me you haven’t seen her in all this time.”

“Yep. Oh! Let’s not leave her out there alone too long. I’m afraid she might have convinced the landlord to kick me out.”

Again, this raised more questions for him. Ratree set one of the pictures on her nightstand face down before she opened the door, and there stood her sister, lifting her eyes up from her watch as if she’d been exercising patience too long. She stepped in.

“You know, it’s rude to eavesdrop.”

“As if I would eavesdrop on anything you two were talking about.” The real Sasithorn inspected the room from her spot with a swift glance and sighed. She did not like anything she saw, apparently. “Which room is the landlord’s? You’re moving out today.”

Ratree gave Athit a told-you-so glance before replying, “Sasi, I’m not moving out and I’m definitely not moving in with you if that’s what your plan is.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. Of course you are. You’ve been stubborn long enough and it’s time that you stop this nonsense and return home with me.”

“Home?” Ratree gave an uncharacteristic scoff. “You mean that condominium that looks like a magazine catalog ad?”

“Compared to this, I don’t see what can be discredited about a catalog ad,” she gestured to their surroundings.

“THIS,” Ratree retorted, “is my home and it’s perfect.”

Athit didn’t necessarily agree but he had indeed become used to the cozy little apartment, so he felt a rising resentment towards this sister on behalf of Ratree—especially after he’d put in the efforts to fix up the place, it really wasn’t that bad.

Sasithorn turned to Ratree in disbelief. “Perfect? You call your aimless day-to-day living alone with no family perfect?”

“I’m not alone.”

“Oh I forgot. You have your deadbeat boyfriend with you. That’s just the icing on the cake,” she said sarcastically, obviously one of those people who disapproved of cake altogether.

Who did she think she was?! Who in the world dared to call Tawan deadbeat? Athit opened his mouth to object, “I’ll have you know—“

Ratree proclaimed, “--That Athit is the dearest and most loving boyfriend in the world,” Ratree said, fitting her hand into his as he turned in shock.

“Please, don’t exaggerate. He can’t even afford to give you a decent house.”

Before Athit could work up another rage, Ratree said, “That doesn’t matter to us. We’re starting a family and you have no right to break me apart from the love of my life.” She forced his arm around her shoulder, effectively making Athit both speechless and momentarily awkward, since he very much saw her as a sister-in-law.

“Uh, Ratree?”

“Yes honey?” she raised her sweet eyes up at him and let her lashes flutter. Her affections were interrupted by her sister.

“Can you please have some decency in front of me?” Sasithorn eyed Athit in his sweats and tank top and single gold earring peeking behind his shaggy hair with distaste, sticking her nose in the air.

“Decency? I’m just hugging my boyfriend,” Ratree’s grip tightened around his waist, once again surprising the hell out of poor Athit. “And this happens to be our bedroom where we sleep together every night,” Athit whipped his head towards her, gaping, “so it’s you who has no decency, coming in here uninvited.”

“Look, will you just go back with me? I can take care of you.”

“I can take care of myself.”

“Well you happen to be pregnant.”

“OMG, I really had no idea!” Ratree exaggeratedly exclaimed, “Now that you’ve helped me discover that I’m pregnant, you can leave. And the father of my child is here to help me.”

“Don’t be so naïve. I’m trying to help you.”

“She said she doesn’t want to leave,” Athit broke in, annoyed enough to recover from his shock with Ratree’s last comment about him being the father.

“Stay out of this. I’m not going to let my sister ruin her life over a pathetic loser—“

“Sister? I had the impression you were her mother!”

“Who cares what you think, you have no right to interfere in our family.”

“You have no right to control her life. You don’t even know how she’s been living.”

“Not good enough, with you by her side!”

“Excuse you lady, but you don’t even know me!”

“I know that my sister would be better off without the situation you put her in!”

Their argument halted when Ratree stepped up and pushed her sister. Sasithorn steadied herself and looked at Ratree, shocked into silence. Athit, equally taken aback, realized Ratree was standing between them, red in the face.

“How dare you?” she said to Sasithorn, who was frowning in concern back, “how dare you make my child sound like some shameful ‘situation’ that should be erased.”

It was the same word Athit had first used too, but the connotations that her sister implied was quite different.

“R-Ratree,” Sasithorn stuttered regretfully, “No, I didn’t mean it like that—“

“Of course you did. This is not some result of me being irresponsible. I’m not some loose woman.”

“I wasn’t saying that—“

“Then what are you saying? Or are you simply determined to make me conform to your ideals even when we both know our lifestyles are different? All our lives, you’ve nagged and suffocated me with your rules and intolerance for anything I wanted. And you really don’t know why I left?”

Hurt swimming in her eyes, Sasithorn tried to step closer but Ratree moved back and took Athit’s arm.

“And now you want to just barge in and separate me from someone I love? How dare you?” The fierceness in Ratree’s voice made her sister’s composure falter more. “You don’t ever listen to me, or care about what I want.”

“Of course I care! That’s why I’m always doing my best to give you everything—“

“I don’t need everything! I need you to give me space. Your way isn’t the only way to live.” Suddenly, Ratree cringed, breathing hard.

“Ratree!” The other two called worriedly.

“Calm down first,” Athit soothed, helping her over to the bed where she sat. His attention was too focused on her so that by the time he lifted his head, he discovered Sasithorn had left.

After Ratree’s shallow breathing returned to normal, and she’d roughly wiped away her tears, he waited for her to speak, but she didn’t. Unable to bear the silence, he made himself talk first.

“Ratree, should we—“

“I’m hungry,” she said. She tilted her face up to his, “I’m hungry, Athit.”

He understood that she wasn’t ready to discuss what had just happened; that, as naturally happy of a person as she was, there were some things even she could not make light of and bluntly talk about. Her earth-tinted eyes were silently asking him to wait before asking questions.

“Ok, I’ll make some breakfast.”

Before he left, he noticed the picture frame that was face down on the night stand. He remembered that it was a photo of Ratree with Tawan. If it had still been up, her sister would have seen through her lie right away. But why did Ratree have to lie that she was dating Athit?

They went about their day with unusually short conversation until it was time for bed. He sat upon the edge of her bed, and she asked, looking to the side, “Athit, am I a horrible person?”

He blinked for a second at her unexpected question. Since he didn’t immediately respond, she flitted her eyes his way only to scrunch up with a “Hey!” when he pinched her nose.

He looked at her stomach and said, “Kid, you have such a silly little mom. But you’ll get used to her in time.”

She pretended to be offended, but couldn’t help a small quirk of her lips as he continued, “I can guarantee to you that your mom isn’t a horrible person though.”

“Thanks Athit.”

“Ratree?”

“Yes?”

“I think if…IF she comes back, you should talk to her.” Their eyes met and he knew she agreed with him.
------
jjinxx

MrscChum

sarNie Hatchling
Thanks Jjinxx for another wonderful update! I wonder why Ratree run away and why she have to hide her identity?

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Wow, there is a twist to the story and I'm loving it!

Muchas gracious, my dear!   Cannot wait to read more now that this story will occupy my mind.

jjinxx

Thanks for reading!
I checked out Ceci's phenomenal artwork and just could NOT resist bringing a few here to showcase what my characters look like. At this point, Athit's wardrobe/style is something more like street style, nearing grunge, with long-ish hair. I imagine Sasithorn wears plainer hair styles and feminine clothing but is not overly concerned about fashion.

credit for the lovely banners go to Ceci! 

jjinxx

Chapter 6

The next day, they arrived at Plerng’s house. As he got out of the car, something dawned on Athit. “Is Plerng really your friend from school?”

She nodded, “Yeah.”

“Then how come he didn’t know your real name?”

Ratree’s eyes twinkled. “Plerng’s a really laid back person. He’s not one to question people, so when I told him my name was Sasithorn, I knew he’d go along with it without trouble.”

Shaking his head at her slyness, they entered the house.

“Well good afternoon you two!” Plerng’s jolly announcement welcomed them. “Sasithorn, I have something special for you today.”

“Oh Plerng, it’s actually Ratree now.”

“Oh, did you change your name back?” he asked without batting an eye, much to Athit’s incredulity. “I thought it was weird that you wanted to be named like your sister.”

Ratree giggled. “It’s complicated, but essentially yes, I’m Ratree again.”

“Anyway, as I was saying, I was able to borrow this handy machine from a friend who runs a small clinic.” Plerng pulled a white sheet off with a flourish to reveal an…

“Ultrasound system. Thought it was about time you found out whether it was a boy or a girl.”

“Wow!” she exclaimed. Before Athit could doubt whether Plerng even knew how to use the machine, she laid on the couch as Plerng applied the gel to her growing belly and used the sensor to find an image.

“Ah! The little guy looks healthy and just the right size that he should be.”

“He?” Ratree said breathlessly.

“Yep, that’s definitely a son you’ve got.”

“Damn, I really have a nephew…”

Ratree slapped his bicep. “Don’t swear,” she reminded Athit.

“Oh, right…” he zipped his lips, as a flood of emotions were filling his chest and threatening to be expressed in more blasphemously colorful language.

“What are you going to name him?” Plerng asked, just as pleased by the image onscreen.

She answered, “Tawan.” She met Athit’s smile.

A few days later, Ratree had drowsily fallen to an afternoon nap attack, so Athit slipped out to pick up some groceries. On his way, he pulled out his phone and dialed.

“Wattana.”

“Yes sir, I’ve returned for about a week and am settled into the headquarters here. So far, the only suspect is the one you’ve brought up.”

“Keep a close eye on him then. Have you found everyone who’s been around Tawan while I was gone?”

“The majority have been found, without any leads, but there are two more evasive suspects. They have the best protection around them, so I haven’t been able to touch them.”

Just as Wattana expected, his boss replied, “I expect progress.”

“Yes sir.”

He looked up at the people surrounding the streets and was sent back into a memory.

Athit restlessly walked around the street. He sighed. Last night, he had dreamed of his parents. But that was not the dream occupying his troubled mind. What he was thinking of was his brother’s dream, his brother’s lifelong dream to become a singer. Athit knew how much Tawan loved music. But they did not have the funds to have Tawan trained professionally or get him connected to the music industry. Tawan was already very good with the guitar and piano, but he was only given a few hours a day to practice because the instruments his brother used were school property. Plus Athit was barely making enough to keep the two of them alive here in the city, as well as getting Tawan through school. Tawan had only one more year before he would go into college too.
Athit turned the corner, not bothering to look at where his feet were taking him. That was how he met…

He stopped by a 7Eleven but decided to wait until he came back to pick up milk.

Before reaching the market, Athit dodged around a corner inconspicuously, and disappeared.

Someone else approached the spot he had been occupying, turning around in bewilderment.

“Where’d he go…?”

The woman was suddenly jerked into an alley where a blooming bush of flowers over the fence blocked her from sight of the street.

“Why are you following me?”

Sasithorn blinked up at the pair of dark eyes focused intently on her.

They were slightly unsettling, so that for a moment, she caught her breath. Looking away, she cleared her throat. “Can you move?”

At first, she thought he wasn’t going to, but he parted from her to allow them some space, though not enough for her to make a quick getaway.

“So? Why are your following me?”

“Just t-to see where you were going.”

“You could have just asked,” he replied, knowing full well she was actually spying, perhaps even hoping to catch him committing a crime.

“Alright, I’m sorry,” she muttered, not sounding particularly sincere.

Deciding he shouldn’t mind her until things had been cleared with Ratree, Athit betook himself to the street.

“Wait!” she collided with his back.

“What?” he turned.

“I want you to help me make my sister love me again.”

His features—handsome features, she thought—remained stoic with subtle surprise in his eyes. It was enough to make her mentally cringe, hearing herself stoop low enough and have to ask for this bum’s help.

“Why?”

“Because I want you to.”

“I’ll pass.”

“Wha…hey!” She quickly stood in front of his path. “Don’t just leave when I’m talking.”

“You talking doesn’t mean I have to listen.”

“Ugh,” she scoffed. She should’ve expected him to be useless like this. “Well I want you to convince Ratree to not be mad at me.”

“And why should I do that? Have you even tried going to see her yet?”

“Well if she won’t even pick up my calls, I highly doubt she wouldn’t slam the door in my face.”

He shook his head. “Ratree would never do that,” he said confidently. “I know her.”

She frowned. “Yes I’m sure. But you’re not me. She likes making my life hard.”

“If she makes your life so difficult, then why are you here?”

“Because she’s my sister. I’m not going to abandon her.” Sasithorn saw him raise one brow as if he could tell she didn’t consider him to be a good substitute for herself.

Athit said pleasantly, “That’s understandable. I still don’t see why I’m necessary. Just come by the apartment and talk to her.” He walked around her.

Sasithorn screwed up her face before blurting, “I need your help!”

They faced each other once more, this time, he was clearly surprised. “She …she trusts you…completely.” Sasithorn obviously resented this. “And she hasn’t needed me in so long. But I want to be a part of her life.”

So was her forceful attitude her way of trying to squeeze into Ratree’s life? Well, the woman wasn’t very tactful, though he could at least give her credit for trying.

“…But I don’t know how to get her to let me.”

“For starters, stop being so bossy.”

“I didn’t ask for your opinion!”

“You just said you needed my help,” he replied with placid amusement as she winced.

Sasithorn took a deep breath. “I…okay, fine, I’ll try not to be…bossy.”

“And what do you mean she trusts me completely?”

“She goes everywhere with you and lets you live with her, duh.”

“Wait, you’ve been following us?”

She crossed her arms and admitted without an ounce of guilt, “Only for the past two days. You didn’t expect me to let some weirdo hang around my sister did you?”

“So I’m no longer a weirdo?”

Sasithorn ignored his joke and said, “Are you going to help me or not?”

He shrugged. “Depends.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“How much do you want to make up with her?”

“Oh, I dunno, I’ve only been searching for her like crazy for the past two years.”

“How do I know you’re not just doing this to save your own reputation as a sibling?”

She glared at him. “I care about Ratree, okay? She’s the only family I have and I hate that I didn’t even know where she was for two whole years. She called once in a while to keep me sane but that only made me more anxious that I might never get another call from her. I don’t even know what I did wrong but I’m willing to do anything for her. But I can’t do that if she doesn’t love me anymore.”

Athit watched her frowning. He understood her, and felt sorry for her. He too had been willing to do anything for Tawan’s happiness and safety, and even though he couldn’t imagine them being sisters, she obviously just wanted to take care of Ratree.

“Fine.”

Sasithorn looked up at him. “Really? You’ll help me?”

“There’s a condition thought.”

She eyed him with suspicion.

“You have to do whatever I say.”

“Why?”

“What, you don’t trust me?”

Her silence affirmed this. He played it with indifference, “Then I’m sorry.”

“Wait!” she stopped him from leaving. “Okay, fine.”

Athit bit back a smile of triumph. “First off, apologize for calling me deadbeat and a loser.”

“Why do I—“

“It was very insulting.”

She scoffed. “Okay. I’m sorry. There.”

“Second, stop stalking us.”

“Okay.”

“Third, stop being so annoying.”

She glared.

“Now why don’t we both go back to the apartment and you can talk to Ratree.”

They made their way, side by side, down the road. “Hold on,” he said when they got to the 7Eleven store. “Hold these.”

“What? Why me?”

“Your hands are free.” He thrust the grocery bags at her so she was forced to take them. “I’m going to grab some things quick.”

“Don’t you have enough food here?”

She waited while he went in then came out holding a gallon of milk with a smile. “Ratree likes drinking milk before bed. Let’s go.”

Following, Sasithorn was surprised at how attentive he seemed towards Ratree, but shook the awe out of her head.

“By the way, I was wondering, what do you do for a living?”

“Do for a living?”

“Yes. Obviously you need money to pay for this stuff right?” She watched him closely.

“Oh we just live off of Ratree’s savings.”

“What!?”

He snickered. “I was kidding. How would I be able to do that to Tawan’s—“ Athit froze. “I mean, to Ratree?” He caught her suspicious look and said, “Look, you don’t have to worry about that. I have a stable job and I can take care of her.”

“So what’s your stable job?”

He smiled. “I run a business. Anyway, what do YOU do for a living?”

Sasithorn didn’t believe he really ran a business and was annoyed he wasn’t taking her seriously. “I’m an accountant. So what kind of business do you run?”

“Oooh, sorry but I think it’s better if you didn’t know.”

“Why…” then her jaw dropped, “Don’t tell me you’re involved in illegal activities!”

“Okay, then I won’t,” he opened the front door and headed up the stairs, much to her irritation, especially since he hadn’t offered to take back the grocery bags, leaving her struggling by herself.

They entered the apartment and were met with Ratree’s cheerful voice. “Athit, where did you go?”

“To the market. I picked up a stray dog along the way.”

If Sasithorn’s hands hadn’t been filled, she might have smacked him.

------
Have a nice day everyone!
jjinxx

jjinxx

Chapter 7

“…” Ratree appeared in the kitchen where they were and lost the question she’d been about to ask, seeing Sasithorn looking at her quietly. Sasithorn was actually quite anxious inside but tried to hide it.

“I believe you know her, “Athit commented casually, stocking the fridge with his recent purchases, ignoring whatever tension was in the air. “I thought it’d be okay if I invited her for dinner.”

After a moment, Ratree gave a small frown and said, “I guess that would be alright.”

Sasithorn’s eyes lit up. “Really? Ratree, you’re letting me stay! Oh—“

“Only for dinner though.” She walked out to the living room.

Sasithorn was too excited to be affected by her coldness, and she made a small spazzing dance with her arms, but stopped abruptly when she caught Athit, leaning on the counter, watching with amusement. She cleared her throat loudly. “I’ll cook. You can just stay out of the way.”

He scoffed. Not even a small thanks huh, he thought. Well, at least he got her doing some of the labor.

“Oh! I’ll be right back! Don’t touch anything!” she ordered him.

Athit folded the newspaper together when he head Sasithorn reenter the apartment. She fled into the kitchen, eager to create a meal for her sister.

“What did you get?”

“Prawns and scallops.”

“Ratree can’t eat those.”

She looked at him like he was crazy. “Of course she can. She loves prawns.”

“The baby doesn’t. Other than fish, seafood makes Ratree sick.”

Sasithorn was about to argue but hesitated, since it was very probable he was telling the truth. After all, he had lived with her longer. “Really?”

“Yeah.” He could tell she was disappointed. But then he noticed a different mood on her face, which was twitching as if in discomfort. “Are you okay?”

She snapped him a look of annoyance before begrudgingly asking, “So…so what CAN she eat…?”

Athit realized that her previous discomfort was her reluctance to ask for his help, but she needed his help, so it was making her fidgety. He wondered how someone so headstrong had even gotten over herself enough to ask him for help.

“Just about anything else.”

“Okay then…”

Dinner was a quiet affair until Athit nudged Sasithorn’s foot. She caught his motion for her to say something to Ratree. She set her silverware down and said gently, “Ratree, I truly am sorry about the other day. I in no way intended to say those words out of context, I swear. I’m just…really worried about you, I mean, having a child is such a big step in your life, I wasn’t prepared for the news and just…came on too strong.” She took a deep breath, “But I respect your decisions and will stand by to support you.” She felt Athit nudge her foot hard. “And I won’t…won’t boss you around.” She sent Athit a brief side scowl before turning back to her sister, “Will you forgive me?”

Ratree slowly finished chewing and said, “I suppose…”

“You do?” Sasithorn held her breath.

“Yeah.”

“I’m so glad. I missed you a lot, don’t you know?”

Ratree spared her a nod and kept eating.

“So, so why didn’t you tell me the last time you called that you’re expecting?”

“I didn’t think it was necessary. You would’ve only flipped out on me.”

“But still, to keep this from me…” she felt Athit’s foot tap hers. WHAT? her eyes asked. He shook his head, telling her to stop. She obeyed with difficulty. “Anyway…um, so are you getting prenatal care?”

“As a matter of fact, I have a very capable midwife helping us right now. Isn’t that right, Athit?”

He still couldn’t bring himself to consider Plerng as a professional, but there was nothing he could do. “M-hm…” And Plerng really was doing a good job, providing the right health advice and even offering Athit the contact information of his doctor friend whom Athit researched and found to be a respected physician in the city.

“Do you think I could go with you to one of your appointments with her?”

“Him.”

“Oh! Oh, a he…midwife?” Sasithorn puzzled this out, making Athit quietly snicker. “Well, can I go?”

Ratree glanced at her sister. She knew Sasithorn was going to react to Plerng even worse than Athit had, but now that she was here, she couldn’t get rid of her easily. So Ratree resigned to getting the worst over with. “Athit, what do you think?”

“I don’t think there will be any harm.”
Athit’s face mirrored that of someone in deep agony. He stood with arms folded before Ratree, who was gazing up at him with the innocent light of a saint, which he was attempting—and failing—to deflect. “What?”

“Just for a little while,” she said with her hands clasped earnestly. “Just until my sister leaves.”

“Which might be never.” This realization sent a shock through him. Holy shit, with the way Sasithorn was, she might really pester them for the rest of their lives. “Nooo…”

Ratree held her stomach in laughter, finding it hilarious that someone like Athit would be seriously concerned about her sister having any power over his life.

“You’re really asking me to give up my car?” That was the situation they were currently discussing.

“Mm,” she nodded. “I mean, Sasi thinks you’re a poor guy, would it make sense if you drove such an expensive car around?”

“Why do we have to maintain my image of a lowlife?” He growled
mentally at the image of Ratree’s arrogant sister; he could care less about her opinions, but Athit might have relished exposing his background to Little Miss Uptight and rubbing it in her face if he was the type to resort to such immature show of power.

“Because if she sees you driving that car, she’ll be suspicious, which will lead to endless questions until she discovers you’re not actually my boyfriend.”

“But I’m not!” he pointed out, for the first time expressing his displeasure at her lie about their relationship. It wasn’t that he was uncomfortable with her—it was quite the opposite. He had grown to see her as, well, a sister and there was also the fact that she was his brother’s girlfriend. To Athit, this lie was just a tad overboard.

“But I need you to pretend to be for now.”

“Pray tell why.”

“You’ve already seen the way my sister is. If she finds out I’m a single mother, there’s no way she’s going to step aside and leave me alone. She’ll do whatever it takes to make me live with her and follow her rules.”

“I thought you said you could handle her. And she’s really trying not to be pushy,” he attempted to reason weakly with her.

“Please Athit! Telling her we lied—“ she pouted and corrected herself at his fierce look, “telling her I lied to her will fuel her unreasonableness and this time, there will be no stopping her. And! And she’ll despise you and make sure to keep me and baby Tawan away from you. Would you really want that? Can’t you take pity on me?” Her bambi eyes sparkled up at him. Damn she was good.

He sighed. “And then? I suppose we’ll just continue masquerading as a couple forever?”

“Oh that won’t be necessary. Once she accepts that I’m capable of taking care of my son, she’ll have to leave on her own. I mean, she has her job and stuff to take care of.”

Athit was sure Ratree was missing a crucial point in this game. “But she knows where you live now. She’ll keep checking up on you, and realize that we aren’t TOGETHER-together. And I’m not going to have you relocate just to keep up with this lie.” Especially since he had given Sasithorn his word to help them repatch their relationship. To have Ratree up and running away again would be counterproductive in the end.

“We can say we decided to see other people.”

He gave her a deadpan look. On top of lying that he was her boyfriend, she was going to make it seemed like he abandoned her too?

“Fine…” her head drooped, “I guess I’ll just reveal everything to Sasi when she gets here. Thanks for all your help anyway…”

Athit kicked himself mentally for his weakness. “Okay, fine. It’s not like I won’t be around anyway, since we’re family now. Sasithorn doesn’t have to know the truth.”

“Yay! Thank you so much Athit!” She reached up and pecked his cheek. A pleasant warmth filled him at her child-like celebratory manners.

“Ahem.”

They looked aside and discovered Sasithorn, who had witnessed Ratree’s show of affection, but had luckily not overheard anything else. Athit got in Sasithorn’s car without reluctance, or even a sign that he was being forced to set aside his manly pride and take help from a woman he obviously didn’t get along with. But that was what Ratree appreciated about him. He didn’t see himself as superior to others and was patient with Sasithorn. Ratree turned to her sister and couldn’t help smiling a little too, because Sasithorn was driving with a smirk of satisfaction as if being the driver helped her one-up Athit. If she was honest, Ratree missed that; she missed her sister a lot. What was Ratree going to do with these two?

------
Thanks for reading!
jjinxx