Parapsychology: The Study of the Supernatural

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
Halloween is coming up and in honor of that, I want to dedicate my show this week to the supernatural. I'll examine religious beliefs, legends and stories, and scientific findings to see if there are any truths to these type of things.

So for this week, it would be great if you guys can either give me your thoughts on it (whether you believe in the supernatural or not) or relate a story.

Since the topic is broad this week, I'll try to post more in this thread and lead the discussion.

.diane.

Media Fanatic
First of all, I'd have to say...I'll probably be tuning into your show with all hairs on my body standing up!

I'm a real chicken about this topic. At one point, It never scared me much and I was very intrigued with it. The more I became intrigued, the more I was scared. I really do believe in it and with different cultures and customs how things happen for a certain reason. I know science can't explain it all. I do know there are crazy psychotics out with a knife and a halloween mask killing around. I think every fantasy, sci-fi has some truth to it. Interesting topic indeed Marduk. I don't have a true story that I recall and I don't think I would want to recall it! :lol:

This reminds me of the photos used in "The Shutter" those are real!

sarN

sarNie Granny
OoooOOOoo im interest in it !! My sister think i have my power back LOL >>> i be tuning in dis week den

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
Ah, it seems to not be as much action here on this thread this week. So anyway, I will give some clarifications as to the direction I'm taking tonight. I won't just be talking about ghosts but if I do, it will be based on actual events. In other words, no random ghost stories.

Parapsychology is the study of the supernatural. There are actual people out there that make a living out of this. Some are ghost hunters. In scientific terms, they believe ghosts are huge balls of energy called ectoplasm left by living things after they die. Whether it's an actual soul or not depends on your belief. Thus, tonight I will also talk about beliefs from different cultures.

I'll also take a look at psychics and whether they are real. Psychics and mediums have what parapsychologists called ESP...or extra sensory perception. In more laymen's term, it is known as the sixth sense. Some believe that we all have it, but we just need to learn to use it. This idea stems from the fact that we only use a small percentage of our brain power. Imagine what would happen if we used more than that. Along with talks ESP, I'll talk about whether it's possible for humans to have superhuman powers (a la "Heroes" style).

For fun, I'll bring up the topic of animal morphing (werewolves and vampires) since the Native Americans and other cultures believe it's possible and I'll also talk about psychic vampires, regular vampires, and past lives.

So yah, please continue to write your thoughts or any questions you want me to address during the show.

sarN

sarNie Granny
oOOoooooooOO u know monkey spanking . I read alots of book about those supernatural theory it is cool how the brain work and during my childhood years i use to thought i was crazzy cuz i have this theory that the only way anyone can see ghost is when our mind is in a stage of watever the ghost or soul is feeling at dat moment and the surrounding must have resource such as water and metal becuase with those present it act as a engery or electic charge to our mind and it can form a picture like a flim like scene dat playing --- and dat is when u can see the ghost and when u see the ghost i believe they are reinacting the last scene of their death or their habit ... LOL i alway have dat theroy or alway image it like dat and i use to think i was werid !! It wasnt' untill i was about 18 year old my courious lead me to read and buy book about ghost adn stuff and i relize there acutually ppl out there wiht dis theory --- so i wasnt' the only one dat crazzy after all ~~ :yahoo:

darvil

sarNie Adult
I don't believe in the supernatural.

Not in the sense that people prescribe it to be. I believe that there are definately things out there that we have no explanation for. But I don't think those very things are "spirts" or "ghosts" or something with a mind or thought or memory.

I must say that even though my personal belief is this way, I definately would be scared to go into an empty house late in the night. Even though I don't believe in it, there is a certain part of me which fears such an event. I think its either the residue of fear that remains after years of growing up in the East or its a part of all human beings to fear.

Either way I could go on quite a few paragraphs.. just explaining my point of view so I'll stop now.

I'll just tell something that happened the last time I was in Burma.

My uncle had just died; quite horribly. He was killed when he fell from a tree. The thing about my uncle is that he was borned with only a mental capacity of an 8 year old. Apparently somebody asked him to climb the tree to get some coconuts from the tree. He puts the coconuts in his longyi (a cloth that surrounds your waist). Anyway he didn't just drop the coconuts so when he fell, it was right on top of the coconuts which was in his waist.. meaning his body was seriously injured. His liver was crushed from what I heard. He died suffering in pain.

When I went back to Burma, it hasn't been long since he died so the whole area was buzzing with alot of ghost tales. For example, people saying that late at night, when they walk pass the tree, they feel his presence behind them as they walk home. This story was even more strong because nobody knew the person who asked him to get the coconuts (since my uncle refused to tell because he promised the guy he wouldn't tell). So basically it falls into the vengeful ghost that was suffering and need to let people know that it was in pain.

Now you have to remember that I grew up in a Christian community and even then the belief in superstition was so strong that it incite fears in people. I had the same fear even though I thought to myself that it was all in the heads of people. It was the fact that EVERYONE was talking about it and thinking about it at the same time, that was causing the fear.

So far I wasn't convinced but damn it is a good story to tell around a campfire.