PARENTS!

miss_rice

sarNie Egg
ok so I'm a freshmen in college and I decided to go to a college near home...(big mistake, I'm not happy)...anyways...my major is Graphic Design and the college I'm going to is known for it's pharmacy programs so they're not that big on their art programs. I mean c'mon there is only like one small building for all the art classes and there's like only 5 to 6 rooms in there! but that's not the point. the point is that my dad keeps on NAGGING me about CHANGING my MAJOR into something else instead of GRAPHIC DESIGN beacuse there will be no job opportunity if I go into that fields and plus I won't be able to get a job near HOME. he also went and talked about how some of my realatives went into a certain major and after they got their degree they didn't like that major anymore so now they're working at jobs that doesn't even involve what they went to school to learn about...and get this every time he talks about them he always brings up that they DIDN'T LIKE THEIR MAJOR AFTER THEY GRADUATED...WHAT MAKES HIM THINK THAT I WOULD LIKE PHARMACY WHEN I THINK IT'S HECKA HARD? WHEN I DON'T EVEN ENJOY IT AT ALL AND DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HALF OF THE STUFF CUZ IT'S SO HARD AND BORING THAT IT LOSES MY ATTENTION AUTOMATICALLY! but he still want me to change my major because majoring in GRAPHIC DESIGN won't land me a job near home....

I told him this before...that I want to go to college away from home but he somewhat forced me to go to the one near home...plus the one near home paid for my whole tuition so that was a good deal but the point is I'm not happy where I am at. I feel like when people ask me where I go to school I say the name of the school and they'll automatically think I'm going to that school because of Pharmacy or something that has to do with science or medicine but when I say GRAPHIC DESIGN their first thought would be "why is she going to that school for graphic design when she can go to another one for so much cheaper?" the school I'm going to is really expensive but like I sadi I'm pratically going for free. Which I'm very lucky for that...but it's just the fact that I'm not experimenting enough with the major that I'm taking and I don't live on campus which makes college life even harder...

one thing that really gets on my nerves is that my dad repeats his stories over and over and over and over again like i've never heard them before...it's get really ANNOYING! it makes me want to leave and go far far far away! I mean it gets to a point where I can't stand it anywmore...my thoughts right now are REBELIOUS THOUGHTS! like so what, it's what i want to do, shut up, it's my life, just shut up i know! sometimes I wish i can focus my attention on the major my dad wants me to take but it's just so hard when your heart and mind is not into it at all. there are so many thing that i want to do and experience. So many things. besides Graphic design I also want to be a filmmaker but what kind of jobs can you get from majoring in films right? so that's why I picked graphic design in the first place but it's just the school that I'm not feeling right now. It even got to a point where I wanted to transfer and this is only my second semester there.

My dad keeps on saying that "pick a major that there are jobs near home so you don't have to go far away" but dad my purpose IS to go far away from home. to live on my own and experience life by myself without the help and comfort of my family. my sister said I'm very ignorant but maybe the reason why I'm ignorant is because I know that they're there to do most of the things so I don't take the initiation to them and that's probably why I'm sometime very ignorant. Life seems like it's just shit right now. i'm so frustrated! just needed to let out some steam....

sorry so long thanks for readiong anyways!

mvshutters

sarNie Egg
ok so I'm a freshmen in college and I decided to go to a college near home...(big mistake, I'm not happy)...anyways...my major is Graphic Design and the college I'm going to is known for it's pharmacy programs so they're not that big on their art programs. I mean c'mon there is only like one small building for all the art classes and there's like only 5 to 6 rooms in there! but that's not the point. the point is that my dad keeps on NAGGING me about CHANGING my MAJOR into something else instead of GRAPHIC DESIGN beacuse there will be no job opportunity if I go into that fields and plus I won't be able to get a job near HOME. he also went and talked about how some of my realatives went into a certain major and after they got their degree they didn't like that major anymore so now they're working at jobs that doesn't even involve what they went to school to learn about...and get this every time he talks about them he always brings up that they DIDN'T LIKE THEIR MAJOR AFTER THEY GRADUATED...WHAT MAKES HIM THINK THAT I WOULD LIKE PHARMACY WHEN I THINK IT'S HECKA HARD? WHEN I DON'T EVEN ENJOY IT AT ALL AND DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HALF OF THE STUFF CUZ IT'S SO HARD AND BORING THAT IT LOSES MY ATTENTION AUTOMATICALLY! but he still want me to change my major because majoring in GRAPHIC DESIGN won't land me a job near home....

I told him this before...that I want to go to college away from home but he somewhat forced me to go to the one near home...plus the one near home paid for my whole tuition so that was a good deal but the point is I'm not happy where I am at. I feel like when people ask me where I go to school I say the name of the school and they'll automatically think I'm going to that school because of Pharmacy or something that has to do with science or medicine but when I say GRAPHIC DESIGN their first thought would be "why is she going to that school for graphic design when she can go to another one for so much cheaper?" the school I'm going to is really expensive but like I sadi I'm pratically going for free. Which I'm very lucky for that...but it's just the fact that I'm not experimenting enough with the major that I'm taking and I don't live on campus which makes college life even harder...

one thing that really gets on my nerves is that my dad repeats his stories over and over and over and over again like i've never heard them before...it's get really ANNOYING! it makes me want to leave and go far far far away! I mean it gets to a point where I can't stand it anywmore...my thoughts right now are REBELIOUS THOUGHTS! like so what, it's what i want to do, shut up, it's my life, just shut up i know! sometimes I wish i can focus my attention on the major my dad wants me to take but it's just so hard when your heart and mind is not into it at all. there are so many thing that i want to do and experience. So many things. besides Graphic design I also want to be a filmmaker but what kind of jobs can you get from majoring in films right? so that's why I picked graphic design in the first place but it's just the school that I'm not feeling right now. It even got to a point where I wanted to transfer and this is only my second semester there.

My dad keeps on saying that "pick a major that there are jobs near home so you don't have to go far away" but dad my purpose IS to go far away from home. to live on my own and experience life by myself without the help and comfort of my family. my sister said I'm very ignorant but maybe the reason why I'm ignorant is because I know that they're there to do most of the things so I don't take the initiation to them and that's probably why I'm sometime very ignorant. Life seems like it's just shit right now. i'm so frustrated! just needed to let out some steam....

sorry so long thanks for readiong anyways!

There is nothing wrong with graphics design as a major. I feel that if you are passionate and really good at what you love you can always find a job once your done with school. I personally did not go to school for graphics design--but my older brother went to school for the art program/minor in graphic design--I learned alot from him and realize how glad I am to have learn a skill set that is currently helping me out right.

anyhow my point is...

It doenst matter what your parents, friends, bf, people want you to do in college, major, etc--you have to pick something that interest you and something that will make you happy in the long run. You can always major in something your parents like but it will be a bad decision that will not benefit you nor your parents in the future.

Always remember that you need to make yourself happy first before you can make anyone else happy.

I also feel that every hmong girl/guy should live on their own at least once in their life before they get marry. Living on your own will teach you to be responsible, help you to grow as a person, find out who you really are without your family and friends, and finally living on your own gives you a once in a life time experience and feeling that nothing else will. For example, I moved out on my own when I was 17. I went straight to college, lived in the dorms my first year, then move out to an apt my second year. College is suppose to be the time of your life. Don't worry about working. Its okay to be poor in college. It the whole experience that counts, the experience that prepare you for the real world, life, working.

Parents will be parents. They might not agree with you today but someday they will see that you are mature enough, and made the right decisions. So dont' sweat the small stuff, you should be concentrating on the big things in life. That should be true happiness.

I hope my 2 cent help lead you in the right direction/decisions--in education and your life.

tearsofautumn

sarNie Hatchling
Im a Graphic Design graduate and my parents share the same the passion as your parents does too. Even now, my mom still question my decision and why i didnt go into Nursing or something besides art. So, im heading back to school in the fall for my parents and what they want for me. I thought that since i did i wanted to do...why not do something they want me to do just once. Dont get me wrong, i love my parents to death and would do anything for them, but i dont like the whole nursing related field stuff and thats why i choose design.

My career right now i love and its good...would not trade it for anything. Im Head-Managment for a design firm and i make six figure income yearly so my parents dont bother me much because i can take care of them and their needs. From my point of view, if you like designing...stay with it. Its your dream, your life, and your future. You have to make your parents see that with any degree...no matter what kind...its not about the degree, but the person holding the degree. Most parents prefer doctor, lawyer, or nursing degrees and they dont realize that its not as easy as it sound. If your not passionated and confindented in something...no matter how hard or easy it maybe...you just dont see it through.

So, hang in there and work hard towards your dream...one day youre parents will see why you choose a different degree other than what they wanted for you ^_^

me094

sarNie Egg
Hey... You're not alone in this situations... Not only talking about coming from a hmong family but any other family. Your parents just really want the best for you and to ensure that, they want you to go into a field/major that will surely have a job ready for you when schooling is over. You have to see it from their point of view too because they love you and they worry for you.

But this is their thinking and sometimes what they think is best for you, isn't always. Only you know yourself the best, so if you truely like what you're doing keep on doing it. Hopefully in the long run they will see it the same way, but in the mean time just bear with it. Also to tell you the truth, a high percent of individuals who graduate don't go into fields related to their major and it's ok. This is how I see majors, it's not what you majored in but how you apply it. Any major is useful as long as you know how to apply it to situations or jobs.

dajdeev

sarNie Juvenile
All I have to says: don't listen to him because it YOU not HIM. If you love graphic design then just stay there and don't change your major ok.

yajvaj

sarNie Adult
its what u like to do not what they like to do....if you like graphic design stay with graphic design

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
i hard rumors that its really hard for juniors in high school to apply for scolarships, fincal aid, cal grant etc.....

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
My parents pressured me to do Pharmacy too. I applied to the 3 yrs pre-pharmacy program at UOP, got accepted...never went, HAHA!!! My parents are still butt hurt about it. Instead, I went to UC Davis and got a BS in Psychology. I tried to explain to them what my job is, but they don't understand. I guess counting pills is easier for them to understand.

At the end, as long as you're happy, you parents will be happy too.

sulad

sarNie Adult
i hard rumors that its really hard for juniors in high school to apply for scolarships, fincal aid, cal grant etc.....
Untrue, it just might be to early for you to register for it now.
When you're a Senior in Highschool, just make sure to apply for Fincial Aid and Grants early so you wouldn't have to worry.
But for Scolarships if you do a early start on that, it's even better.

-- That's how my dad is too. I want to major in Fashion Design, but he say that I shouldn't do that. I should go for Doctor or Nursing. I'm like no, too many people are in the medical field and it's too common. If I was to even go there none of those stuff would go into my head and my dream it is to do what I'm passionate about. He knows he can't make me do what I don't like because it is base on my future.

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
same here my parents r all into nursing or docters...i was like hell no its hecka hard...i'm not that smart to be a nurse or even be a docter...i guess they think too far....

Mae

sarNie Adult
i know a lot of people who are going into nursing..
mainly for job security reasons
A lot of Hmong females declare nursing and say they're going into it... but, how many actually make it? Not very many....it's the truth... Sometimes I feel like people just say they're in that major because it's a prestigious field.... However, time and again I've seen hmong college students fail out of it...

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
A lot of Hmong females declare nursing and say they're going into it... but, how many actually make it? Not very many....it's the truth... Sometimes I feel like people just say they're in that major because it's a prestigious field.... However, time and again I've seen hmong college students fail out of it...
the average college student changes majors about 5 times.
lol.

miss_rice

sarNie Egg
wat is the college ur going to?
i would like to stay anonymous and not reveal the college I'm attending...

and thank you for those who took the time to share their opinions...I've been thinking a lot lately about moving out of the house and transfering to another college...do you guys think it'll be a good idea to do that or should I just endear for the next 4 years and stay at home? I think I'm beginning to regret not going far away...I told myself not to regret but think I am for the time being that is anyways...

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
i would like to stay anonymous and not reveal the college I'm attending...

and thank you for those who took the time to share their opinions...I've been thinking a lot lately about moving out of the house and transfering to another college...do you guys think it'll be a good idea to do that or should I just endear for the next 4 years and stay at home? I think I'm beginning to regret not going far away...I told myself not to regret but think I am for the time being that is anyways...
aww ok. cuz i've been lookin into pharmacy schools, so i was just curious which college urs was.