Portraits of Hmong Women

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
i was supposed to be researching for my speech about the Hmong people
but i ran into this website and found these women's stories to be very interesting

click here.

**yes. i did read all of them. lol**

max

sarNie Elites
Thanks for sharing! I only read the first story because I do not have much time, but when I do, I will go back to the website and read them all!

kellylis

sarNie Hatchling
aww... thanks for the site...
i'm an emotional person and the last part made me cry...

herokitty

sarNie Egg
I read all of the stories. They are all heartbreaking but show the strength and courage of Hmong women. I cried in some parts too. And some parts made me so mad. In some of the stories I can see my mother.

My mom married (or was sold as she refers) to my father when she was only 14 years old back in Laos. My father was a widower and in his late 20's. And he already had 4 children. She became a mother instantly. Some of her new step-children were almost the same age as her. She had a hard time trying to discipline them. Her oldest step daughter would argue with her constantly. Also she had problems with my father because she could not measure up to my father's first wife's memory even in terms of beauty, cooking, chores...everything. My father would constantly hound her for being stupid and not knowing anything. It wasn't until many years later and after 7 children of her own that my mother finally found the courage to stand up for herself in the U.S. When my father couldn't work anymore because of an old war injury, my mother went to work. She had a factory job and worked cleaning hotel rooms. My mom learned English fast and could speak it better than my father. They would have arguments about her working and possibly meeting other men. It was during this time that my mom finally started standing up for herself. I don't think my mother never really realized her worth until she started working outside the home and making her own decisions about the money she made.

miss_rice

sarNie Egg
wow such touching and moving stories. This makes me want to make a movie out of all these stories. I didn't expect myself to read all of it and yet it's not surprising that thses stories are so common in the hmong community. Which makes it quite sad, but it is slowly, very slowly changing and I hope in the future every women will be able to overcome thses hardship...

venosat

sarNie Hatchling
Kou Vang is an awesome photographer as well as artist and writer. I am grateful that she is my Aunt ( my mother's brothers wife). I never knew so much about my mother's past until I saw it on paper. It's too bad that I never sat down to talk to her about her life before she was taken from us. But I am so thankful that Aunty Kou had the foresight to interview her for a segment of the book. My mom was my inspiration. She led an extrodinary life and defied all to become what she wanted against all odds. Maybe thats why the girls in my family always stood up for ourselves and were able to do what we all loved. My mom was See Vang Chang. She not only raised my grandma...she also raised her half siblings ...adopted a sibling.....watched helplessly as two sisters died in childhood...and buried them herself....gave all that she had to my father's side even though they never appreciated her and served the war effort as an army medic before the Hmong community in Laos as a nurse. At 15 she saw more death than any teenager could have seen in their entire lifetimes. She was flown in helicoptors out to the battlefield on daily routines to patch up soldiers whose limbs were blown to pieces. She saw death on a daily baseis but bore it all because it was her job. She could not falter else she jepardize a life. All this..and she was just in her teens. Here in America...she worked two jobs and still found time for all of us seven siblings. We always came first...it was always family that was her priority. She acheived the American dream...however...I am just saddened that she never got to see what we, her children had acheived before her death. I am sure she is up there smiling down on us....so to you mom....we dedicate all our projects to your memory. Although we may not be perfect...we will strive to make you proud!

SEG

miss_rice

sarNie Egg
Kou Vang is an awesome photographer as well as artist and writer. I am grateful that she is my Aunt ( my mother's brothers wife). I never knew so much about my mother's past until I saw it on paper. It's too bad that I never sat down to talk to her about her life before she was taken from us. But I am so thankful that Aunty Kou had the foresight to interview her for a segment of the book. My mom was my inspiration. She led an extrodinary life and defied all to become what she wanted against all odds. Maybe thats why the girls in my family always stood up for ourselves and were able to do what we all loved. My mom was See Vang Chang. She not only raised my grandma...she also raised her half siblings ...adopted a sibling.....watched helplessly as two sisters died in childhood...and buried them herself....gave all that she had to my father's side even though they never appreciated her and served the war effort as an army medic before the Hmong community in Laos as a nurse. At 15 she saw more death than any teenager could have seen in their entire lifetimes. She was flown in helicoptors out to the battlefield on daily routines to patch up soldiers whose limbs were blown to pieces. She saw death on a daily baseis but bore it all because it was her job. She could not falter else she jepardize a life. All this..and she was just in her teens. Here in America...she worked two jobs and still found time for all of us seven siblings. We always came first...it was always family that was her priority. She acheived the American dream...however...I am just saddened that she never got to see what we, her children had acheived before her death. I am sure she is up there smiling down on us....so to you mom....we dedicate all our projects to your memory. Although we may not be perfect...we will strive to make you proud!

SEG
wow very very touching! someone in here is actually related to the hmong woman that were metnion....yes when you look back at life everybody incounters tough times but it is those who cares for their family that gets the benefit out of things...