Pov Panapich (khmer singer) shot!

She's a singer and sometimes actress. She was shot in the morning on the way to her college to study English. The police still don't know why she was shot, but they know she wasn't involved in politics. She was shot twice: once in the throat and once in the abdomen, and now, she's in critical condition. They might move her to a hospital in Vietnam (although I think she should be moved to a hospital in Thailand, since the doctors are really good there and it's closer). She was known for her album "Jearng Klang" (strong feet).

Don't khnow who she is..but another time Cambodia show how will be the fate for their celebrities..poor girl..what a nice treatement she get!

But <_< ..what did she do.? be the mistress of someone?or make some big personnality mad? -_-

Now, no wonder why khmer stars always run away to another country and don't want to stay there!!!!

Twinky

sarNie Elites
Awww..that's just wrong and sad..I know who she is but I was never really into her music/voice..but still no one deserves to be shot..and this just totally reminds me of Touch Sreynich..being shot in the throat just ruins her whole singing career for her..any more details on why she was shot???most of the time this happens because she was someone's mistress and the wife is jelious or something with politic (but that doesn't seem to be the case).

Tahmnong

sarNie Hatchling
omg, that's horrible! :( Of all places for a singer to be shot, in the throat? Did someone not like her voice or something? And now she's in critical condition... I was never a huge fan of hers, but this is still so sad!! I hope she pulls through okay and they catch the people who shot her and find out why~ :(

khmerxhomie

sarNie Egg
dats awful...in cambodia u can't live peacefully being rich becz ders alwayz a possibilty of getting kiddnap for ransom and if your poor, it's a struggle for survival and being famous isn't dat good either so life in cambodia is pretty tough no matter what kind of position you are in.

khmernicole

sarNie Egg
I heard it on radio and I didn't think it was real! I'm so shoked, what did she do wrong? :arrg: I think she is a nice and quiet singer, it's so horrible what happened to her... I hope she will be fine :spin:

puppylov

sarNie Adult
dun kno who, but is there any pix of her? I can totally say it is involved with those rich/powerful people. It's so common for those people to do it. That's Cambodia and no wonder everybody wants to get out of that corrupted country. Famous or not and having a lot of money or not are all the same cuz it's not safe. People with money can do watever and can get away with it. Plus, it's not only in Cambodia.So sad!!!!

Yume

sarNie Hatchling
my father just tell me yesteday o.o and come here and see the tread ..
did the police know why she be shot ..?

now it's scary to become popular in cambodgia ..
seem everyone who make some popularity or said something about the gouvernement ..be shot ..humm..

cooldude2k6

sarNie Egg
26 Feb 2007
Cambodian Press Review

Phnom Penh last week saw the high profile shootings of a popular performer and a trade union leader in both of which robbery has been rejected as a motive, according to newspapers.

Popular singer and televsion host Pov Panhaprich has reportedly survived being shot by a gunman on Norodom Boulevard Friday morning, but may be paralyzed for the rest of her life, said surgeons who operated on the singer, Rasmei Kampuchea reported in its Sunday-Monday edition.

“She has already passed the critical state, but appears to be disabled [and] unable to move her body for [the rest of her] life,” said doctors in neighboring Vietnam ’s Ho Chi Minh city, where the victim has been sent for treatment, according to the newspaper.

Pov Panhapich was initially taken to Preah Ketoh Mealia Military Hosptal and then Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh before being sent to Ho Chi Minh city at 9:30 am the same day after she was struck by two bullets, noted Samleng Yuvechun Khmer Saturday.

Her health status has been stable, Phnom Penh Municipal Police Chief Touch Naruth said, adding that medical officials have retrieved one bullet from the back of the 23-year-old singer’s neck, but are still to remove another from her hip bone, reports The Cambodia Daily.

Witnesses said they saw a gunman in his 20s shoot Pov Panhapich from the back of a motorcycle at a close range of about a meter when she was walking to the English Language Training Institute after parking her car, according to the newspaper.

Touch Naruth said that the shooting could have resulted from a grudge into which police are probing, Kampuchea Thmey wrote.

“At the first step, we believe that this is not robbery...this is the case of grudge, but we can not conclude what problems caused the grudge, but are waiting for an investigation before making a conclusion,” Sralanh Khmer on Saturday quoted him as saying.However, in The Cambodia Daily today, he said that police have yet to decide the motive behind the assault, and to identify suspects.

Rumors have spread that the murder has grown out of anger of the wife of a general who had left his house to live with the chanteuse, wrote Rasmei Kampuchea.

Kem Ron , who claimed to be Pov Panhapich ’s cousin, denied that the murder has something to do with “a love triangle,” saying it could stem from a grudge, Samleng Yuvechun Khmer wrote.

Since 1999, four popular female artists including Piseth Pilika , Touch Srey Nich, Tat Marina and Pov Panhapich have been lethally attacked or injured seriously, note news archives. No one has been arrested for the attacks.

The Khmer Actress Association issued a statement Friday urging authorities of all levels to unmask and bring Pov Panhapich ’s assailant to justice, reported Rasmei Kampuchea.

A day following Pov Panhapich’s shooting, Hy Vuthy, a factory-level union leader at Suntex garment manufactuerer in Dangkor district’s Choam Chao commune was shot to death by an unknown gunman at 5:15 am as he was driving home on a motorbike from the factory, newspapers reported Sunday.

According to witnesses, the perpetrator, in plain clothes, was on a motorbike with an accomplice near the 36-year-old unionist and fired three bullets at him with a K 59 pistol, Sralanh Khmer wrote.

Two of the bullets hit Hy Vuthy in the lower part of his left armpit and the left waist, according to Rasmei Kampuchea. Hy Vuthy , a member of the Free Trade Union of the Kingdom of Cambodia (FTUKC), died after being taken to a private hopstial.

“It was not a robbery because the killers didn’t take his motorbike,” said Dangkao district deputy police chief Chuop Sok Heng, adding that suspects have not been identified, reports The Cambodia Daily.

District police chief Bon Sam At said Hy Vuthy could have been killed due to revenge, according to Sralanh Khmer.

Source

Tahmnong

sarNie Hatchling
So terrible!!! To survive but be paralyzed...I think if it were me I'd rather let them pull the plug then have to live disabled like that..can she not talk anymore either? So sad :( I hope they do find out what prompted the guy to shoot her, thanks for more news~

Linn

SarNworld Wonderer
I saw the news in the magazine...it was similar to what happen to Tuch Srey Nich...pity her

Twinky

sarNie Elites
Thanx cool dude for sharing the update..man reading all these news just pisses me off..all these gunman's need to be caught and prosecuted..

dfemc

sarNie Adult
being a union leader and hero in cambodia is definitely risky business....those lowlife animals need to learn to dispute with a little more dignity than hide behind the damn guns.

Wai Wai Noodles

Egg Drop Soup ( ~ _ * )
being a union leader and hero in cambodia is definitely risky business....those lowlife animals need to learn to dispute with a little more dignity than hide behind the damn guns.
I couldnt have agreed more, D!

The intellectuals and or those with talents are brutally murdered or mysteriously missing...

Soon all that's left are the dumbies running and roaming the country, oh wait, isnt that how it has always been?

How is Cambodia ever going crawl out of the 3rd world country status and prosper / advance towards bigger and better things if they keep on rooting out individuals who have potentials to bring forth something good for the mother country.

I simply dont understand why so much jealousy / hatred?

Shouldnt they appreciate and be proud of what they got?

It's like you can be too popular, have too much money, or be too successful without living in fear or being on someone's death list.

It's a shame and a disgrace that it only takes few US dollars to make someone's life so miserable...

Another sad case we have to read / witness.

Hope the parents and her are in a safe place away from potential danger and wish they surpass every obstacle that may arise.

Chenda

sarNie Egg
This is so sad .. from what i've seen, she doesnt sing as much as a few years back cus she wanted to put the main focus on her schooling .. Now all her life long dream has been shattered and so is her singing career.

My sister read on a khmer based website that the police called in 6 suspects for interragation. i hope they will put the person responsible behind bars. There's just so lil chance that that would happen.