Question about Laos

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I'm trying to find a map that has the local towns of Laos but all I get is a map with just the major cities.
I've been working on this story about my dad's escape from Laos when the royal government was overthrown by the communist. Anyway, long story but I'm trying to figure out what the name of the town he grew up in is called.

It sounded like it started with a 'T', he said it's a county just outside the capital city.
Does anyone know how wide the Mekong River is? I mean the width between Laos and Thailand. I know how long it is but I can't seem to find the width.

You know, working on this story I've had to do a lot of background research on the 'Secret War' aka The Conflict in Laos, and I had no idea so many Hmongs fought in this war. I didn't like how the CIA made it seem like the Laotian royal government and soldiers weren't "aggressive" enough fighters though.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Hm...I don't know, he said it's a county so I'm not sure what my dad meant by that. I gotta ask him again.
Thakek looks kinda far from Vientiane.

Thanks for the link Lome. :)

anan

sarNie Adult
Does anyone know how wide the Mekong River is? I mean the width between Laos and Thailand. I know how long it is but I can't seem to find the width.
Between 0.14 and 0.5 Miles depending on the location and also the season(rainy or not).
You can use Google Earth (menu Tools >> Rule) to measure the distance. ;) Easy like 'Bonjour' ^_^

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
Liberty, share your dad story with us if you can. Lately my parent have been taking about it a lot, because we have someone from Vientiane visiting. It is amazing how she said it was always a story to her, but to my parent it was reality. The reality she was close to was seeing the king being overthrown. Sorry I can't help, but have you tried looking through Google?

http://www.angelfire.com/in/Laos/
http://www.angelfire.com/home/laoslist/photogallery.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMqw_MPPRiw

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Thanks for the link IRukYou.

I have all of my other sources and it being a journalism class I can only use official sources to backup my information.
All of the stuff I've found on the Secret War tends to be the same information, it's hard to find anything new.

Once I get my story completely done and fully edited I'll post it up. :)

I'm going to Austin this weekend so I can talk to my dad about it. I submitted a very rough first draft to my professor and he had a ton of questions, so still lots more of reporting to do before the story is complete.

Toon

Official Robert Pattinson Ambassador
Hey girls...I don't have any sources or links to help Liberty with her project...just wanted to support you Liberty with your project...I'm glad that someone is interested in our history not just the cultural aspect of Laos but the history...the what, where, and when of our country...recently I've been interested in our history too...and I know how frustrating it can get to find historical documents and sources for your project...I just found some stuff from YOUTUBE...but I don't know how official that is...but they have a lot of videos and footage of fighting during the "SECRET WAR" I hope that helps a bit...

fun

Expired Sarnie
Thanks for the link IRukYou.

I have all of my other sources and it being a journalism class I can only use official sources to backup my information.
All of the stuff I've found on the Secret War tends to be the same information, it's hard to find anything new.

Once I get my story completely done and fully edited I'll post it up. :)
I know, I hate how people are so uptight with official sources. In this case the best source is through someone's eyes who have been through it. But that can't even be nearly close to accurate because people view things differently. I would like to hear your story.

When I was in Middle School, the school librarian is Khmer and he would go into English classes and tell his story. It made me cry and ever since then I been interested in people's life struggle etc.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
yeah i was just going to recommend google earth, but looks like someone already mentioned it. u can zoom in and even see shots for certain provinces and see it's proximity to Vientiane and the Mekong River. good luck, n look forward to hearing ur story.