Question about Thai/Lao royalty

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I'm having trouble understanding this lakorn because of the terms they're using.

I thought Jao Chai meant prince or something but I think I'm wrong.
So first off, what does that mean?

Second, does anyone know the rankings of royalty, what they're called, for both Thai and Lao?
It would also help if someone could write down the English equivalent as well.
Thanks!

I can't tell if they're actually royalty or just people who are part of the royal court (like the King's men, Queen's ladies, etc. that I understand). :huh:

sugar

เฟริสค่ะ
Jao Chai technically means prince in Thai. There's so many different titles for the royal family members that it's confusing and titles would often change as well.

For the current Thai royal famliy, the highest rank is the King, Prabat Somdej Pra Jao Yu Hua, but Thais refer to him as Nai Luang for short. His wife, Somdej Pra Boromarajininat or Queen Sirikit then the HRH Prince and HRH Princesses, who are called Jao Faa, Jao Faa Chai (Prince) and Jao Faa Ying (Princess). Then there are the children of the prince and princesses and the distant family members.

btw, which lakorn is it? They could probably just be referring to a distant male royal relative and use Jao Chai for short although I think Khun Chai would be more appropriate.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Thanks!

It's Tae Bang Gon (sorry, not even sure if I spelled that right because even in that form I'm not sure what the title is, I'm just copying it as it is on youtube) with Num and Ann. I've never seen it before, I just happened to have found it on youtube and have been watching it ever since. So many aspects of this lakorn mirrors my life it's freaking me out a little (well, not all of my present life...it's a long story).

Thanks for the link Kenny.