Racial disparity ⚠️

maimyang

keep on keepin’ on. ✨
This is a tough topic to talk about, but one I feel needs to be addressed and made aware of.

After learning about specifically structural racism and existing inequities in the United States in a class, I was very much engrossed and saddened at the statistics and facts. Did you know, where one falls on the social hierarchy, is a determinant of health? The lower one’s socioeconomic status, the higher chances of having health issues. Stress is one reason. A person with lower socioeconomic status is more stressed out due to issues such as poverty, living in neighborhoods present of more crimes, being denied of loans. Prolonged stress leads to health issues such as obesity, stroke, heart disease. Did you know? Someone who is Black will get diagnosed with the mental illness Schizophrenia more often than other races. A big reason for this might be that when Black Americans show up for evaluation, “their psychotic symptoms are overemphasized.” Likely, levels of comfort and trust of providers have something to do with how these Black Americans appear or behave to get them to be misdiagnosed. It is a sad thing, to not understand and be aware that a person is not comfortable or does not trust enough, and to misdiagnose them when they have another different illness. If on medications, these patients would be taking the wrong medications for what they have. And it is sad that people would most likely listen to someone with authority. I learned from past classes that authority cannot always be trusted. Lack of trust in a person with authority might also be a reason a person behaves “strangely” to get them to be misdiagnosed.

There are all sorts of inequality that exists, in healthcare, sentencing, housing, etc. I feel we must bring awareness and talk about these difficult and unjust topics to make necessary changes. Not trying to stir shit up, but as stated, it is important and crucial.

Source -