Saeng Daet Lae Fon (complete)

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 17 A Family

Nadech knew he was right the moment he set eyes on Yaya that night in her gold dress and loose wavy hair, with that tantalizing scent reaching his nose. Great, so he was supposed to suppress the urge to breathe too. Death it was. Why did she have to be so… addicting? Whether dressed in sweats or a gown, frowning or smiling, silent in thought or animated in speech, he had been steadily drawn towards her like a hound to fresh steak. But he meant to keep his word. None of that lip action was going to happen again.

Yet, despite the warning bells going off in his mind, his gaze swept over her body and went back for round two. No curve of her figure or color of her skin seemed to escape his eyes. He had always been someone who took care with details and it seemed that even something he knew was bad for him couldn't be an exception.

Yaya gulped. The way he looked at her was very much like in her dream but when that expression disappeared and he offered her his arm stiffly, she thought she must have imagined it and he really was going to stick to his words that 'it' won’t happen again. She bit her bottom lip, begrudging her disappointment.

Nadech barely looked at her as the night began. They were greeted by various people who Yaya could tell were vying for his attention and whom he had as little interest for as she did, yet he was respectful and courteous to all of them. Finally they met Uncle Thongchai. He gave Nadech a fatherly hug and she couldn’t help being reminded of Mario and understood why so many people in the province voted for him.

Nadech and his father became occupied with some business reps when Yaya came back from the restroom, so she found Khun Palada and Uncle Thongchai in conversation.

“Did you ever imagine Nadech getting married?”

Uncle Thongchai replied, “Yes, and just like this too, with Norachai setting him up. How else would he ever agree to it?”

“Do you think it will work out? I mean, will this help him?”

“Norachai has faith in Nadech and Yaya.”

If being engaged was supposed to transform Nadech, then Yaya thought the elders would be highly disappointed. She had a hard enough time trying to understand her fiancé and he had just gone and messed with her again, kissing her and then distancing himself from her.

Yaya didn’t think she should be eavesdropping but just as she was about to move, she heard Uncle Thongchai say quietly, “Even seventeen years might not be enough to mend the boy’s heart.” He sighed. “Sometimes I almost wish Norachai had put up with it instead of sending Mina away. But then I remind myself he’s my brother and he shouldn’t have to endure such a broken marriage.”

“It’s just you can’t help wishing things were different when you see what it did to Nadech. Remember the way he used to run away from home? Every weekend it seemed Norachai had someone chasing Nadech back to the house, he was so desperate to find them. Patchata has been keeping an eye on him and tells me Nadech’s search is still going.”

Her sympathy for Nadech’s tragic childhood rushed like a current to her chest. Even now he was searching for his mom and sister? She realized that when he told her he ran away from home, it wasn’t some adolescent rebellion, but actually a task of search that consumed his soul. How in the world had they been separated? Surely even a divorce shouldn’t make things so difficult. The next words she heard chilled her spine and raised a hundred other questions.

Bitterly, Uncle Thongchai said, “As much as I feel sorry for my nephew, I hope he never finds her.”

“I suppose that would set off a whole new rift between Norachai and Nadech.”

“So much more. If Nadech ever found Mina and confronted Norachai with her, both father and son might not recover from it.”

Their conversation broke off as other gentlemen joined them. Brooding over what she’d just heard, Yaya nearly walked into someone.

“Excuse me.”

“No, it was my fault.” The young man apologized and sent her a dashing smile, one that Yaya knew well and was not weakened by it as other girls were. Saran, another friend she had met through Jack’s organization, had grown into something of a little brother to her. He was even more unruly than she was towards their fellow hi-so’s, and insisted on being called Porshe so that Yaya didn’t even know who his family was. Until now.

“Saran!” Yaya recognized the scowling face that approached them. “Don’t mess with other people’s properties. And didn’t mom tell you to study for your exams tonight?”

Yaya rolled her eyes at being referred to as an object.

View threw her a dirty look. “I barely recognized you dressed like that.”

“I didn’t realize my life’s objective was to be noticed by you.”

Porshe snickered and earned a glare from his real older sister. View said, “Just because you’ve got connections to the distinguished Phraisong family, doesn’t mean you’re allowed to forget your manners.”

“Oh,” Yaya brightened up, “Are you talking about my fiancé?” She smiled smugly as View’s face blanched. “He doesn’t mind the way I talk at all. Why would he when he proposed to me?”

“I’m sure Nadech would mind you chatting it up with your ex-boyfriend. How many others are you hiding from him?” View said.

“I don’t see how the number of men attracted to me has anything to do with you. But thank you for trying to fill in the role of my fiancé’s mom.” Her eyes caught someone. “Jack!”

“Yaya, what a wonderful coincidence!” A frivolously dressed man skipped over to them. His mannerisms were such that rarely anyone disliked him. “Excuse me, but let me borrow Yaya.”

Yaya waved to the siblings. “Later Porshe.”

“You look gorgy hon! Down to business: I have a special job for you. We are saving Earth’s wildlife and your mission is to capture every bit of wildlife beauty with that magic camera of yours. We are going to make everyone’s hearts bleed after seeing how much we should give back to our mother Earth. Now, I’ve chosen the location for you already. I’m sure you’re very busy preparing for your wedding and everything,” Yaya shook her head, but Jack didn’t notice, “…that’s why I haven’t pressured you until now, and the upcoming event is almost at its finishing point. I made sure you could get to a location that is well-preserved and absolutely dazzling! Not to mention convenient for you to stay at too.” He nudged her playfully and wiggled his brow up and down, though she didn’t know what he meant. “Ah, and speaking of which, here comes your fiancé. Must I add how yummy he looks too?” Jack laughed.

Yaya face-palmed herself when she saw Nadech stride up to them, followed by his father. Jack eagerly held out his hand for a shake.

“Khun Nadech, we meet at last!” He shook Norachai’s hand also. “And Khun Norachai, it’s always a pleasure to be in your company.”

“Jack, the next event is coming up soon?”

“Yes! The ad team is doing a superb job spreading the word already. I was just giving Yaya here her assignment too, since her deadline is coming up.”

Norachai nodded approvingly. “Yaya, it’s great to hear you take part in this also. Do I have any hope you’ll help Nadech with the company in the future? Once he becomes chairman, he’ll need all of your support.”

She glanced at Nadech. “Yes sir.” He didn’t look like he would need any help from her though.

“There’s plenty of time for that. I’m actually sending her off to Khorat. Khao Yai national park there will be most satisfactory for promo images and paired with Yaya’s skills, she’ll take everyone’s breath away. Uh,” Jack cleared his throat, “I specifically chose that spot because I thought it’d work out well for her.”

A look of understanding passed between Jack and Norachai.

“The national park!” Yaya exclaimed excitedly, missing the silent communication.

“Exactly. I’ve worked everything out with the park officials. You’ll have special permission to enter even restricted areas. The team’s arrangements have been taken care of.”

“You’ve already worked out where we’ll be staying?” she asked.

“Well, for the team, yes. But you won’t have to worry because like I said, it’s coincidentally perfect in your case. You do have Khun Nadech.”

She eyed Jack in confusion.

Norachai turned to his son. “I’ve offered the first branch resort at Khorat to Jack’s organization. They will hold the charity show there this year.”

“Yaya will be leaving soon to meet the photography team,” Jack informed.

“Good timing too. Nadech has to do the yearly inspection over in the Khorat resort.”

“I do?” Nadech asked.

“Didn’t I tell you?” his father said casually. “And since Yaya is doing work there, you might as well stay until she’s finished and make sure they have everything they need. You two will be resting at Waang Saaeng Kham.” Seeing Yaya’s head cock in curiosity, he explained, “I’m sorry Yaya. Waang Saaeng Kham is the name of our family estate, the one that is now passed on to both Nadech and you.”

She caught the expression on Nadech’s face that said he was less than indifferent to the mention of his family inheritance.

-------------
The things she’d heard tonight were really eating her up so she almost forgot about Jack’s assignment until Nadech asked, “When will you be leaving?”

“As soon as three days.”

They reached the third wing and she turned to him but he had already closed his bedroom door.

“Good night to you too,” she muttered.

It was another night of insomnia for Yaya, though her mind was occupied by more pertinent issues such as Uncle Thongchai’s cryptic words. How badly did Uncle Norachai and his wife’s relationship end that to have them meet would set off such explosive problems? And again, her heart ached for Nadech. It was boggling and heart-breaking that at such a young age, Nadech could love his mom and sister so deeply that their absence rendered him with such a dark lens on life. Every tomorrow for him was a droll work day to distract his mind from a hopeless search. If Yaya had to be brutally honest, she didn’t think the fates would give up the location of his loved ones now, not after seventeen years.

Her ears perked up. Coming from the room next door was a muffled voice. Crawling out of bed and tip-toeing to their door, she pressed her ear to it. She swore she could hear Nadech. Was he still awake?

The answer came when she heard a sound that squeezed her stomach with concern, and it could never come from a fully conscious Nadech. It was that of a wounded soul that called for something out of reach. Without a second thought, or even remembering to feel self-conscious about their kiss, she pushed the door open and crept to Nadech’s bed.

She clicked on a lamp and chewed her lip at the sight of him wound up in bed like he was bracing for pain to descend on him. Yet, she knew it wasn’t physical pain, but mental images that assaulted him.

“…promise, I promise…” he mumbled and she leaned closer to hear. “Don’t go…”

She couldn’t keep watching. She had to end his nightmare.

His mom kissed his forehead one last time, and said his name. But the voice kept coming, repeating and repeating until it pulled him out of the dream realm.

“Nadech?”

Eyelids laced with weary memories, Nadech slowly adjusted his sight to the light in his room. He didn’t need to see her to know Yaya was there. He pushed himself to sit up. “What is it? Is everything okay?”

“You tell me,” she said. “Sounded like you had a nightmare.”

Not quite. The same dream that haunted Nadech was also a source of comfort. He both hated dreaming of his mother and longed to see her.

“You heard me?”

Yaya nodded.

Strange. He’d never been aware that he talked in his sleep. “I’m sorry I woke you.”

“I wasn’t asleep,” she shrugged. “What did you dream?” She hesitated but decided it was better that he knew she knew some of his family history. It was only fair. “Did you dream of your mom?”

He kept his eyes on the footboard of the bed. “You know about her?”

“Not really. I was curious and asked Mario. He didn’t tell me anything,” she added hastily. “Just that she’s gone right now. And so is your sister.”

He sucked in a breath at the mention of Da.

“Um, don’t get mad at Oh, I was the one who asked, you know, because I…I’m going to be part of this family.”

His words were flat. “You sure you want to be a part of a family where marriages don’t last?”

Before she could catch herself, she said, “I don’t have a choice.” She regretted it immediately.

He laughed darkly. The sound was nothing like his free and lively laugh from the park. “You’re right. Don’t worry though. I vowed never to let what happened with my parents happen to us. Besides, we don’t love each other.”

His declaration was meant to be reassuring, but it wasn’t in the least. The way he said it was like he was incapable of the act, which crushed her hopes of helping him. And the fact that she had once thought the same thing when Yuke ended it with her; she had believed that as long as she didn’t love, she couldn’t get hurt. “You can’t judge all marriages on one. Many people live happily ever after.”

“But many don’t. If only based on love,” he spoke the word like it was poisonous, “then when it’s gone, there’s no motivation to stay together. Even for the sake of their children, my parents didn’t stay together. Did you know that my father didn’t even blink when mother took my sister away? That’s how much love is worth. I’ll pass on that.”

“You have Oh and Kim, don’t you?”

“That’s different.”

“What about me?”

“Your bad luck, princess, as the newest member to the family. But I expect we’re both immune to the follies of love, aren’t we?” He gave her an arch stare that was both familiar to the Nadech she had first met and yet so uncharacteristic that she was almost positive this was the man who was still hurting from his nightmare speaking.

Unfortunately for him, her experience with Yuke had not ‘taught her better’ as he was suggesting. She still welcomed love into her life. And after hearing his words, she wanted more than anything to prove him wrong. He wore cynicism well, but not after she had seen him with a smile.

“You don’t really think that, do you? You once accused me of believing marriage should come from love, but you’re also guilty of believing it too.” Why else would his parents’ separation leave such a gap in his emotions?

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Oh, of course not, Mr. Advantage-is-more-important-than-love. You know, maybe Love was pms-ing on that day Yuke came to meet me, so it skipped out on me, but not entirely. I have a family and friends who prove love isn’t worthless. And so do you.”

“And Love must have been so pissed off when I was eight that it split my family in half,” he said sarcastically. She held her breath, hearing this venomous side from Nadech, whom she had come to expect cool and calm from. “Should such a fickle feeling be worshipped? Hey, I’m happy for those lucky people. But how are you going to prove my case otherwise?”

And then, the entire atmosphere changed. Nadech’s gaze narrowed at her and it was like those shadowy eyes charged the air with sparks. But they were the dangerous kind, the kind that made Yaya’s neck hairs stand. Slow and steady, he slinked out of bed.

“Should we test this out? See which one of us is right?”

He loped towards her and Yaya felt like stalked prey as he trapped her in front of the desk. Then he caught her face in his hands and kissed her with such ferocity that her instinct made her fight. Try as she might, his mouth possessed hers entirely. She struggled to escape from him but eventually stopped, not because she gave up, but because his lips had grown gentle, and it threw her mind in a frenzy when he swept her lips apart to deepen the kiss. And before she could stop herself, she kissed him back.

One hand buried in her hair, Nadech’s other hand gripped the desk when he felt her respond to him. The way her mouth moved against his, tender and sweet, and a little shy, it felt so good. So good that for the first time in his life, he wanted more, and not just from anyone—only from Yaya. And that scared the shit out of him.

------------Author's note
joob joob!!!!

jjinxx

jjinxx

Chapter 18 Boy Drama

Nadech pulled away from Yaya. “So, was I close? Is that what love feels like?”

Stunned, she took a second to recover from his question before striking him across the face. Without a word or looking at him, she strode to her room, and closed the door sharply.

-------------
Brain damage. That was the only explanation for why he had done the one thing he said he wouldn’t do. He told himself for a whole night and day that he’d been trying to prove a point to her. Nothing else. So what in the world had driven him to such a reckless action as to kiss her, when he knew he shouldn't have? It had to be brain damage.

Case in point, Nadech was lying in bed while the sun was still up, questioning the feelings he had for his fiancée, and rubbing his jaw where he had received the slap from her. Not that he hadn’t deserved it.

Over and over ever since they met, he had looked at Yaya and confirmed that he felt responsible for her, he might even admire her character, but it was nothing close to love. So why was he going insane with deprivation and craving the woman who would probably be killing him in her dreams tonight?

Some might credit his pathetic state to his extremely late raging male hormones, because he’d been honest when he told her she was his first kiss. But that was the thing. He had also been truthful when he said he had never had the wish to kiss before. Hello, germs? Mono? But with Yaya it was like her lips had branded his entire consciousness and awakened some feral tiger in him. And her single touch made him purr.

Well, now he knew for sure he was right. He’d caught something from that first kiss, and now, he couldn’t stop. It was like something contagious, as if he’d caught a cold from running in the rain. Who knew they could be so deadly?

And another reason to grab the first ticket straight to hell: Yaya wasn’t talking to him. Or listening to him. Or letting him feel like he existed. Nadech was a solitary person most of the time, and never complained or saw the cons of being left alone, yet he found himself seeking her out.

All this over a difference of opinion on love. That pms-ing good for nothing inconsistent bastard Love that knew when to screw him up the most. Nadech wasn’t convinced that is what he felt for Yaya. Yet, there were so many foreign emotions where she was concerned it left him dizzy and irritated that here was something he couldn’t solve within an hour.

He pressed his face in his pillow in frustration before realizing that was a mistake. He could have sworn her scent was still on his bed, even though the ice cream incident had happened days ago and his sheets had been changed and cleaned. It was as if everything she touched became soaked in her essence. Or like every room she had stepped in held traces of presence. Like her towel that was still here with him. Bright and fluffy, it stood out against the neutral tones he was used to.

Thankfully, his phone rang and he was provided a distraction. “Hello?”

“Not that we need you here, but care to explain to me why you are not at work on a day you usually come to work? Are you hurt? Dying? High? Stocking up for an apocalypse I should know about?”

Mark’s dry humor alerted Nadech to the reality of just how much of his life was devoted to work. “Didn’t Oh tell you? I’m working from the house today.”

“He said you were indisposed for the day but I like my guesses better.” Yep, he could be nosy when he wanted.

“Round of applause to the smartass kid who just couldn’t accept that one plus one equals two. I didn't come to work because I didn't want to. End of story.”

Mark laughed. Nadech rarely swore. Something had to be up. “You are high, aren’t you?”

“You would know. Who was the one experimenting in college?”

“Man, I share the one time that I tried out pot and it haunts me the rest of my life. Seriously, what’s up?”

“You know how I’m naturally tactful when I’m talking?”

“No, but I’ll let you keep deluding yourself,” Mark joked.

Nadech continued, not amused, “Well, you know how they say to think twice before you speak?”

“Uh huh.”

“I should’ve thought three times.” And taken three BIG steps away from Yaya.

Mark didn’t have to be a genius—though he wouldn’t deny the title—to guess something had happened between Nadech and Yaya. When he’d bumped into her and Auntie Pam earlier at the store and made the mistake of asking about Nadech, she’d nearly caused a tower of soup cans to topple over. But Mark played the clueless game.

“And who exactly were you talking to when this lapse of caution occurred?”

Silence on Nadech’s end.

“If you don’t answer, I’m going to have to start the smartass guessing again. Let’s see, who would be suicidal enough, or bored enough, to want to talk to you?”

Nadech rolled his eyes.

“Oh, wait. There’s someone who doesn’t really know just how acerbic you can get, who happens to be living with you. Assuming I’m on the right track and know who this person is, I’ll guess that she gave back just as sharp of a mouth, and being the stubborn I’m-right-you’re-wrong guy that you are, you either said something, OR made a really bad move that confirmed men are pricks.”

Pause.

“Bravo. Gold star for the Sherlock in training,” Nadech said un-enthusiastically.

“Don’t forget the detective scout badge.” Mark marveled at this progress, at the truth that Yaya actually had the power to detain Nadech from his one true love (work) and pulled him out of his normal state (calm). This would be good.

“In my defense,” Nadech muttered, “I was half-asleep at the time.” Or brain damaged. There was still that diagnosis to consider.

“Oh shit. Did you force yourself on her? I mean, you’re engaged and all, but that’s still illegal and she will NOT fall in love with you dude. I never thought you would be the type to force—“

“Whoa. Stop. What kind of sick thoughts are you thinking? And I did not force myself on her.”
A kiss didn’t count right? It was just a kiss. Both their virginities were still intact because he would never do such a thing. Assuming that she’d never slept with anyone before, which he trusted that she hadn’t. Argh. Thanks a lot Mark.

“Sorry, sorry,” Mark said. “Been watching too much lakorn with Mint lately.”

“What’s in those things that would make your guess so far-fetched?”

Mark groaned. “You don’t wanna know. I’ll tell ya though, it gets REAL awkward during those rawr scenes.”

“Roar scenes?”

“Rawr. It’s some kind of slang term for—well, never mind. Just warning you, if you ever get the unexplained desire to watch one of those, I’d steer clear of ‘Sawan Bieng.’ Talk about demented. And Mint actually likes that stuff. Makes me wonder just how innocent women—“

Nadech cut in flatly. “Not to be self-centered, but I thought this was about me. Not some creepy dramas that have ‘rawr scenes’. What are those, like lion scenes? Do they all end up eaten by lions?”

Mark scoffed at his ignorance. “I wish some of those character were eaten by dinosaurs. But like I said, you don’t want to know. Oh, and don’t watch anything with Aum Atichart in it.”

“Who?”

“Good.” Mark nodded in approval of Nadech’s lack of celebrity knowledge. “I’m semi trying to boycott him since he’s Mint’s favorite.”

Nadech shook his head. Geezus, women really had a way of making men go crazy. Mark was living proof that he’d been right to exclude women from his life when possible.

Mark cleared his throat. “Anyway, whatever you did, fix it.”

“Thanks for the help. Not.”

“Do I look like a therapist?”

“No, you look like a lakorn fanatic who’s jealous of a hot actor and wants to rawr-scene him.”

“Okay, you don’t even know how many wrong images came with that sentence that I now have to go bleach my eyes. Thanks a lot.”

Just returning the favor. “Yeah well thanks for a completely useless phone call. I didn’t even learn what a rawr scene is.”

“I’m doing you a favor. And Nadech?”

“What?”

“I know this is hard for you of all people to believe, and trust me, after all those lakorn with the rawr-ing, I’m surprised these words still have meaning, but sometimes, ‘I’m sorry’ can go a long way.” Mark paused. “It can go even further with some flowers and jewelry. But I think Yaya will appreciate sincerity the most.”

“Thanks.”

“Sherlock out.”

-------------
Dinner time. It was just Oh, Nadech, and Yaya. Sensing definite tension between the other two, Oh said, “Hey look. I have a missed call from a very important client. Excuse me.” He shoved a spoonful of food in his mouth and left the table.

Now it was just the two of them. For some really annoying reason, Nadech was nervous. ‘Just say you’re sorry!’ Because he was. Not for kissing her, but for the acid emotions that had initiated that kiss.

Yaya refused to look at him. She had been trying to show him the light, so to speak, and then he totally flips out on her in a way that only the old Pokerface could do. It made her rage with fury that she’d kissed him back. What was she thinking? That she could save him from himself? That he might actually have feelings for her? Maybe they had dropped her on her head as a baby and the effects were just starting to surface now, all triggered by her dear fiancé.

Looking up, she saw Nadech’s plate piled high with food and the man himself eating vigorously. It would have been an encouraging sight after all the effort she put into making sure he stayed healthy, if she hadn’t realized what he was trying to do. Oh, if he thought playing the good boy with her now was going to save his posterior, he was so wrong.

Nadech hoped that showing a big appetite might put her in a slightly better mood. He then started, “Yaya, about last night—“

“I’m full.” She pushed out of her seat, but turned back to him. “Oh yeah, I hope you choke on that piece of crispy chicken.”

She left him with a ball of food in his mouth so he thumped his chest to force it all down. Well, that was an epic fail.

Oh peeked in from the door before walking in. He whistled. “Whew. I don’t know what you did but you are in deep sh—“

“Shut up,” Nadech managed to chew out.

“Mark said that’s what you should have done.” Oh smirked. “Ironic, considering you’re hardly the chatter box.” He grabbed a seat next to Nadech. “Should I ask? It’s not like you to quarrel with anyone.”

“I had a nightmare.”

“Go on.”

“And told her things, and more importantly, shared opinions that I shouldn’t have.”

What was the only topic that ever really upset Nadech? Mario sighed. “She’s going to be your wife. She needs to know what happened.”

Nadech didn’t agree but it was too late to rewind.

“So then what?”

“I told you.”

“I seriously doubt hearing about your mom and sister was what made Yaya angry.” Especially not since HE had already told her about them.

Nadech didn’t really feel like elaborating on their debate about love. For one thing, the debate itself had been a waste. For another, explaining meant he had to talk about the kiss. Apparently he wasn’t the type to kiss and tell.

“I’m waiting. Mark can only squeeze so much information out of you, so whatever it was, just spit it out.”

Nadech glared at him. “I have the right to remain silent.”

“And you were doing a really dandy job up until a point last night. But you can’t stay silent forever. Even an empty cave can scream out from loneliness.” Oh received a weird look from Nadech. “Uh, I heard that from someone.”

“Don’t tell me you watch lakorn too.” Nadech’s world couldn’t handle anymore crazy at the moment.

“No. Why? Do you?”

“No, but Mark does.”

“Oooh, that explains a lot. Anyway, it was a quote Kim read to me. She’s got a wall full of post-its with quotes from books and stuff. Which,” he held up his pointer finger, “is not the point. Are you gonna let me help you or not?”

“I don’t need help.”

“Why is that a lie? I know, because your fiancée just wished you death. You must’ve done something really bad, and never having done anything bad in your life, you need help figuring out how to make things good again.”

Great, he had Sherlock and Oprah on his team. Who was next? Dr. McDreamy telling him he had an incurable brain tumor? Oh gawd, he shouldn’t have watched so much TV during that year in America. “And you’re such a badass yourself?”

“I’m king of the badasses,” Oh declared. “But I digress. You gotta tell me what’s the deal with you and her before I can help you. I know Mark’s meeting you for the inspection at the resort but he knows Yaya and so he knows this ain’t the time for him to butt in. I take it you don’t want Yaya mad at you throughout the whole three days at the estate?”

“No,” he admitted.

Oh grinned. “You like her.”

Nadech spilled water on himself. “Excuse me?”

“Don’t play dumb because you are not smart enough for that game. You like Yaya. How else could she have said something to make you so worked up that you argued back? And now you’re literally choking over yourself trying to apologize. Oh ho, love is in the air.”

“I thought love was supposed to be all fuzzy and warm,” Nadech said sarcastically, once again reminded of last night. There was no way in hell that he was in love with her. But then, this wasn’t hell. It was Earth, and some days, Earth made hell sound like a tropical vacation. “I’m not in love with her.”

“And the sky isn’t blue,” Oh rolled his eyes.

"Can't I claim temporary insanity?"

“Boy, there’s been a hospital bed with your name on it since your family line existed. But even that won’t make her warm up to you.”

“I don’t want her to warm up to me. I want her to listen long enough for me to say those two words of apology and then we can leave each other in peace.”

“Do you really want to go back to being strangers?” Oh asked.

The harder question was, could he?

-------------Author's note
First of all, I want to apologize for getting up the hopes of anyone who was expecting another 'romance' chapter. I couldn't help throwing in Oh and Mark's two cents on Nadech's love life (which has only recently come into existence). He doesn't have many people he trusts so it's even more significant whenever the people in his life step in to help him. I hope you enjoy this little Bromance chapter.

jjinxx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Oh my, have mercy on my stomach! It hurt so bad from laughing so hard in this chapter. Mark's conversation with Nadech was hilarious and Nadech is so naive in the romance department.

I feel bad for Yaya. She has already fallen for him and having him said that to her. It just hurt.

Thanks again jjinxx!

jjinxx

Chapter 19 Hell and Heaven

It had been three days since the kiss and Yaya was not any closer to forgiving Nadech. She avoided him with her best dodging abilities. All of which was worth diddly squat the day she had no choice but to be stuck in the car with Nadech for three hours. She’d tried catching a ride with the rest of Jack’s team but Jack had said there was no room and Uncle Norachai insisted she travel with Nadech, and since he had to leave a day earlier than her team, she had to go with him.

Nadech stole a glance at Yaya from the corner of his eye. She sat, arms crossed, as far from him as the car’s limited space allowed her, wearing a scowl that would have scared off King Rama IV, but which he found kind of cute. Not that he was going to tell her that. He wasn’t quite so masochistic. And yet, his eyes darted back to her.

Ugh, and there it was again, that exhausting twinge in his chest that directed his attention to her every time he heard her voice or caught a whiff of her perfume.
‘But it’s partly her fault too. Did she have to wear such gosh-darn delicious perfume?’

Whoever had made that scent was seriously out to get him. And he wasn’t oblivious to the fact that if that fragrance was worn by anyone other than Yaya, he wouldn’t give it a second thought.
Okay. So maybe Oh and Mark weren’t as brainless as he judged. Maybe he had condemned himself to this. Maybe he LIKED Yaya.

He forced himself to run through the itinerary instead. They would stay at Waang Saaeng Kham for the rest of the day. The next morning, he was leaving for the resort, while she stayed. The next day was the same for him, while she departed for Khao Yai and would be back at night. The next day, would be the same for her while he waited, bored out of his mind.

That pretty much covered it. And now, back to torture.

Yaya peeked at Nadech then quickly looked back out the window. She felt guilty that she was giving him the cold shoulder when she knew he had probably been overwhelmed that night by his bad dreams. Not to mention it might have felt like she’d attacked him by contradicting his skepticism of love when obviously his first-hand experience had done nothing to support her argument. But whatever he was going through did not give him the right to treat her like a toy just so he could prove his dreary outlook on life.

And yet, as she pretended to watch the passing scenery, Yaya couldn’t help regretting that they were back to the ‘good old days’ of cold silences. Hadn’t she extended a hand of friendship to him? Was she just going to give up on him, like he did for himself?

Why did he have to confuse her so much? And gosh, for someone who had only kissed three times in his life, he was damn pro.

‘Wow Yaya. Lusting much?’

She couldn’t stop replaying that kiss. The worst part was once he had slowed things down, her heart had sped up to a dangerous rate and had he not woke her back to reality with his words, Yaya would have been convinced he felt what she felt too. The extreme, unbelievable, sudden and wrong feeling of deep, deep LIKE. That was as far as she was willing to go, because he wasn’t her type.

‘Right, because tall, dark and handsome with exceptional business success and adorable dimples is completely off your standards.’

And she was stuck with him for the next three days. Heck, she was stuck with him for life. She had to stop thinking about him. Concentrate on Khao Yai or anything that would give her a moment’s peace. Waang Saaeng Kham. What would it look like, besides obviously big and gorgeous? The house wasn’t simply a vacation villa. She knew that Phraisong ancestors had lived there before acquiring business in the capital. So why was it that coming to the country estate was such a rare occasion?

And just as she was wondering, the driver informed them, “We’ve arrived.”

Peering out, Yaya saw that they turned into a narrow road with a sign reading ‘Nectar Lane.’ Emerging from Nectar Lane, which was now only forested on one side, the other side opened out to a vast lawn and there stood a beautiful house in all its sunlit glory. There was a natural and old grandeur to it and everything surrounding it. Snow-white pillars lined the front of the house and held up a balcony that ran the entire length of the front of the second floor. She could already tell the view would be excellent from there. Finally, their car passed under an arch at the side of the house slash mansion, and came to a stop.

Stepping out, Yaya marveled at the view of a courtyard alive with flowers and lush trees that invited people to nap under their shade.

“Wow,” she whispered and didn’t resist the pull to skip towards the back of the house where the land stretched out in a lively green sea of grass, dotted here and there with…

“Horses!” she exclaimed.

Nadech was less eager to leave the car. He’d only visited the old family estate about half a dozen times. Once when he was a baby and could barely remember the experience; once at five years old and six years, accompanying his father, but in his hurry to see Da again in the city, he paid little attention to the enormous free meadows that any little kid would be ecstatic to play in; and finally, he started visiting again roughly six years ago when he started working for his dad and had to visit the resort. Nothing about it had changed, as far as he could tell. And yet, as he watched Yaya’s fascination and the excitement tensing her body like a spring, he took a second look at the land and house his ancestors had built and cherished, and he experienced a new sense of appreciation.

This was thanks, perhaps, to the presence of someone who finally expressed the admiration that the land deserved. Yaya was nearly bouncing on her toes trying to catch ever detail, every creature, every curve of the landscape, from here to the end of the valley. When he heard her gasp of delight seeing the horses, he felt another rush of appreciation, as he now learned something new about her.

Yaya asked, “Are they yours?”

Relieved that she broke the long held silence, he replied, “Yes. They belong to the family. My grandparents were fond of horses, so we’ve continued raising them.”

“Khun Nadech! Welcome back!” It was Kai, a man nearing middle age, who was in charge of taking care of Waang Saaeng Kham. If he hadn’t addressed Nadech formally, Yaya might have mistaken him for another male family member, his physical appearance and facial build was so similar to those of the Phraisong men.

“Khun Kai, meet Yaya.”

“Welcome ma’am. I hope you’ll find your stay here agreeable. Why don’t you two go in out of the sun? I can have the help prepare a meal if you’re hungry.”

“I’m fine. Yaya?”

She didn’t hesitate. “I want to see the horses!” Remembering to contain her excitement, she added, “I mean, can I go see them? If it’s not too much trouble?”

Nadech nodded and Kai said, “Certainly! Our horses need more riders too, as they’ve been trained for. Do you have experience horse-back riding?”

With an impish grin, she nodded and followed him with Nadech behind them.

-------------
If Nadech didn’t know any better he would think Yaya could speak the language of horses. Every horse she approached, small or big, young or old, dociley inclined their heads for her to pat and accepted her treats of apples that Kai gave her. She became particularly drawn to a chestnut mare with a mane so red that when she trotted around them, the breeze lifted her mane so she seemed to glow with a fire.

“Her name is Plaayo and she’s got just as much spirit,” Kai said. “And she appears very fond of you, Khun Yaya.”

Yaya had insisted he call her by name and hardly anyone ever resisted her requests.

“Would you like to take her for a ride? There’s a great place just east where we’ve built a small pier on the river with a rowboat waiting and everything.”

“I’d love to. I’ll go change really fast!”

“Khun Nadech, you’re coming too right? I’d say it’s about time your Waayoo met his master.”

His Waayoo? That was when Nadech learned of the extra birthday gift from his father.

Wearing jeans, a cotton tee shirt and boots borrowed from Kai, Nadech watched as Plaayo galloped Yaya around. The wind carried her laughter like music bubbles back to his ears. It was the type of scene you would want to capture and frame on a wall forever, which reminded him of what Kim had given him before they left. He took a deep breath and turned his attention to the animal towering tall and powerful beside him.

Waayoo was a pure black stallion whom Kai promised possessed discipline and strength like no other horse they had, and was as swift as his name.

“Waayoo hasn’t given us any trouble since he arrived. He’s steady and disciplined so I’m sure you’ll learn just fine with him.”

That might have been more encouraging, except Nadech got the feeling Waayoo was sizing him up, and having estimated his master’s riding abilities at negative five percent, didn’t trust him at all. But he was determined to accompany Yaya and Kai to the river so he had asked for an hour of training before they set out.

Yaya looked back at Kai and Nadech, where the elder man was showing the younger the proper way to dismount. The ebony horse stood still patiently while Nadech practiced. When she thought he might be starting the riding practice, she returned Plaayo to the fence to watch. Nadech didn’t look at her, too focused on Kai’s instructions.

“…and remember to keep control. Are you nervous? It’s your first time.”

Nadech got on Waayoo without trouble and took the reins. “The horse does the work right? All I have to do is hold on and not fall off. How hard can it be?”

His head throbbed and he was pretty sure the breath had been knocked from his lungs just seconds ago, when he had taken his eighth fall after finally being able to stay on longer than two minutes. But Nadech knew he was still alive when his sight was able to focus on Yaya’s face. Strangely, he discovered a secret—heaven and hell were myths. Before that theory could completely register, Yaya was helping him up and Kai kneeled at his side.

“Any broken bones?”

“No,” he assured them, but gave an “oomph” when Yaya relinquished her support which caused him to fall back.

“Well good. You can walk yourself to the nearest hospital and get your head checked because I’m sure something in there is malfunctioning,” she said tartly and stomped her way back to Plaayo.

“I take it lessons are over and the trip is off?” Kai asked.

Nadech glanced up at Waayoo, who returned with a droll yet strict stare, as if to say he had confirmed his suspicions about Nadech’s incompetence.

“Yeah.” He stood and brushed his hands free of dirt. “She must be really disappointed.”

Kai shook his head. “She was worried about you. Anyone’s loved ones would be, seeing how many times you nearly broke your neck.” It was a cautious joke, because Kai wasn’t sure he had ever seen his young boss smile before. He continued more seriously. “Khun Yaya was real anxious every time you got back up. I think she was both worried and cheering you on.”

Nadech saw that he was telling the truth, or at least what he thought was the truth. “Thanks for the lessons. Maybe we’ll try again in a couple of days.”

Waayoo whinnied a sound of protest.

“Oh no, I’m not done with you yet,” Nadech said to the horse, then walked back to the house, just as he found his elbow and forearm scraped up and bleeding.

“You really want me out of a job?” Kai asked Waayoo, who shook his mane in a gesture of denial. “I know he doesn’t look it, but your master is a pretty steady guy, just like yourself. Give him a chance to learn, got it?”

Waayoo neighed in exasperation. Kai shook his head. Waayoo had never been stubborn before, he was one of the best of his species Kai had ever seen. Maybe he just needed to get used to Nadech. It was obvious the guy didn’t get out much. But Kai had faith in him. He wasn’t temperamental, and had been gentle. It took a lot of courage and patience to get back on an animal that could result in a few broken bones, yet Nadech had not given up, nor had he asked for a different horse, which told Kai he would eventually earn Waayoo’s respect.

Part of it was a refusal to give up. The other part, Kai guessed, was determination not to let down his woman. Compared to his fiancée, whose horse-back riding was something Kai couldn’t help admiring, Nadech might not be as expressive nor could his emotions be read easily. But Kai caught the tell-tale signs; the way Nadech stayed close to her, his feet moving instinctively in her direction, his eyes never straying from her as she rode out in the meadow. Yep, whatever Khun Nadech had been before, he was now a man in love.

-------------
Nadech paused out in the hall. The door across from his room was shut, as he’d expected. It was Yaya’s. He sighed and went into his own. Using the mirror, he examined his arm. Already a bruise was forming around the raw flesh. He was just going to clean it up when something better arrived.

Yaya was at his door with a first aid kit and she yanked him towards a seat in his room by the open window, then proceeded to clean the wound, apply something to it that stung a little, then plastered on three big band-aids. All the while her mouth was twisted in disapproval and he caught quiet mumblings of “complete blockhead,” “can’t tell when to give up,” “could’ve broken both arms,” “macho SO failed,” and “suicidal.”

Finishing up, she swiftly closed the kit and stood, but he caught her hand.

"Are you mad?"

"Oh no, I'm completely blissful that I had to watch you get tossed like a sack of potatoes eight times..."

He was barely offended. "You're worried about me?"

She snorted. "You're not worried about yourself. Why should anyone else waste time doing it for you?"

“I’m sorry for what I did,” he said before he could hesitate and draw out his torturing mind any longer. “It was disrespectful and uncalled for. It won’t happen again, I promise.”

“That’s what you said the last time.”

He stopped, surprised, then spoke with a bite in his tone. “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize I repulsed you so much.”

Yaya gaped at him. One second he was apologizing and the next he was making it sound like she was at fault. She shook her hand out of his, flipping her hair over her shoulder. “What now? Have I said something wrong? It’s like you want to make up and then you find some reason or use something I say to pull back into your shell. Are you afraid of something?”

“It’s not like that.”

“Then what is it?” She really did want to understand him. “What do you want?”

He got on his feet and his eyes glowed fiercely from the pent up frustration. “I want you to become a stranger again.”

Stunned, she watched him run a hand through his hair. “My life was simple before your became a threat to the one hope I have of them returning to me.” He was referring to his mom and sister. “So I proposed to you and even though we didn’t get along, I promised myself I wouldn’t do anything to compromise your happiness. I know that sounds ridiculous seeing as you were already forced to be with me, but I believed we could continue our lives without further disturbance if we didn’t interfere with each other. If we stayed strangers, we could live in peace together.”

Yaya swallowed hard. She found he was even less selfish than she used to think. All he wanted was to keep them from repeating his parents’ past, and he thought the best way was to maintain distance.

“It doesn’t work that way,” she said softly.

“I figured as much,” he replied sulkily. “That’s why I’m asking for your forgiveness. Somewhere in this mess, you became more than a stranger to me. You’re someone who makes me do things that I have to apologize for, someone who makes me second-guess my values and even make me question my own sanity.” It was throwing him out of his element worse than Waayoo throwing him to the ground. “I have a feeling things aren’t going to reverse but,” his eyes pierced her, “I don’t want to go back.”

She was completely still, absorbing his words. Her heart swelled with each of his last syllables so that she thought she might be delusional.

Perhaps only just realizing what he was saying, he face stiffened. “I think I started losing my wits around the fifth time I fell off Waayoo.” Or maybe it was around the fifth time he laid eyes on her.

“You’re doing it again.” Yaya shook her head. “Just now, you were expressing true feelings, but then you tried to brush them off. How can anyone tell if you’re speaking truly or not?”

“I’m a straightforward person,” he said defensively.

“Are you implying I have low communication skills?” she arched a brow. “Why don’t we talk again when you’re sure your words aren’t the result of a concussion?”

“Wait.” He stopped her. He couldn’t let her leave now that he had her attention. He drew in an extra long breath. “Okay, that was wrong of me. I apologize. But I really am sorry for that night too. As a man, I shouldn’t have—“

“Taken advantage of me?”

This brought both of them back to that moment in the garden the night of their engagement when he had retied the bow of her dress for her. Back then, he had done so without questioning his actions. Presently, however, he didn’t trust himself at all.

Yaya’s heartbeat was loud enough to echo in her ear, but she spoke without wavering. “Do you find me that attractive?”

In his eyes he saw her wind-tossed hair, her glittering eyes that never quailed even under his stoniest stares, her jaw set in anticipation, and those full lips – the bottom one slightly swollen as if not too long ago she had been biting it in her concern over something or someone. As Nadech drank in her image, he recalled his first conscious thought after the last fall: heaven and hell were myths.

Because here on Earth, in front of him, was a beautiful woman with the wonderful and terrible power to throw his life in disarray and at the same time make it all feel more right than his life had ever felt before.

Yaya felt his gaze on her like a physical touch, and he meant to follow through with it. He meant to break that promise of 'it' not happening again, to answer her question without words, which would have helped vanquish the doubts they had for each other’s feelings.

He drew closer, but the jingle of a ring tone interrupted. She looked at him expectantly to answer the phone and left with a reassuring half-smile.

Scroll down for the first side story of SDLF.

SIDE STORY 1 Chicken or Bull

“It’s not really stealing. Those people have lots to spare anyway,” Oh patiently explained. It was late morning and the kids were hungry. Nadech was still a little nervous. He had never needed a discount for anything in his life, and definitely never the five finger discount. “Just watch and learn.”

Oh tucked his chin into his thin scarf and lowered his head, strolling inconspicuously through the street market. He reached a vendor selling pieces of grilled chicken at the same moment that a large man was passing it, getting pushed against the stand.

“Watch where you’re going, you little punk!” The man growled.

“Get away you rascal!” The vendor shouted.

Oh bowed humbly and scooted his way around the street, coming back to Nadech. The scarf hid his mouth but his eyes laughed triumphantly. “Got it!”

His hand held a drumstick wrapped in foil. Nadech’s mouth dropped of its own accord. He didn’t even see Oh’s hands leave his pockets!

“P’Oh! Look what I got!” Kim slid easily between the crowd to them.

“Hey, good job! Here,” he traded her apples for the chicken and offered the apples to Nadech. “Sorry dude, but Kim gets the meat.”

Nadech blushed against the wind. “I’m not taking your food! I’ll just try to get something by myself,” he mumbled.

“Okay, go for it.” Oh clapped him on the back. “Two choices. I can take you down ten blocks where there are grocery stores and you can stand by the door and offer to help the nice old aunties with their bags, hoping they will give you a reward. Or number two, you use the fast hands method to get some rice packs.” He turned Nadech back to the heavy traffic of the street market.

Obviously the safer choice was the aunties but Nadech knew he had to go the other route. He gulped.

“Wow! Look at those Ken! Do people really eat frog legs?” An eight year old Yaya was standing on tip toes, eyes round as the full moon and just as bright, staring in bewilderment at the exotic fresh foods laid out on stands. Customers were bargaining fast, as if speaking their own languages.

Yaya had been allowed to take an expedition throughout town and her guardian, Ken, was in charge of judging which places were appropriate and safe for the young girl.

“Indeed, young miss, people eat whole frogs and even insects.”

“Should we buy some for dinner?”

“Uh, I don’t think master is in the mood for an amphibian dish. How about a nice big chicken and some sweet and ripe strawberries?”

“But that’s boring.”

“Miss, please be careful.”

But Yaya tread through mud without a care, dirtying her already tainted white shoes with flowered side buckles. Just thirty minutes earlier, she had chased after a soccer ball and gotten grass stains on her light blue brand name shorts. Ken winced just seeing those offensive spots which his young miss was oblivious to. She skipped through the market with her bouncy curls flying behind her, exclaiming at the most normal things and chattering with the vendors, who answered her questions in amusement.

“Ken look! She says they’re selling bull testicles. Ken, what are testicles?”

There was a disturbance several feet ahead, saving Ken the burden of giving Yaya an premature anatomy lesson.

“Stop! You thieving rascals, stop!”

Heading straight at Yaya, pushing grownups aside, flipping over baskets of fruits, spilling colorful vegetables, came a cloud-dusted trio, three skinny little figures, one of which was lugging a cloth bag over his shoulder.

Ken pulled Yaya out of the way as the queries and their chasers thundered past.

“Who were they? What happened?”

“There must have been thieves who stole from the produce merchants.”

Her young heart jumped in excitement at such adventurous beings. “Thieves! Are they going to jail?"

Ken helped brush some dirt from her shoulders. “I hope not. They’re only children. I suspect they have no money and just tried to find a meal.”

Yaya’s face crumpled in confusion. “There are kids who have to steal to eat? But where are their parents?”

Ken shook his head. She frowned, pursing her lips and looked to her right where the kids had gone. They had not looked any older than her and the girl was definitely younger. “Ken, one of them looked familiar.”

Ken highly doubted she had met anyone who wasn’t part of a well-known family. “Are you hungry miss? Shall we go to that nice French restaurant for lunch? We can visit the pet store too,” he added, knowing her fondness for animals might distract her from the recent incident.

“Yes, alright.” But Yaya would never forget that there were people, both young and old, who did not have the privileges she did. Her expedition had triggered a determined pursuit to keep on giving to the world and those less fortunate in it.

Welcome to the end of the first side story. This one takes place during the first day after Nadech successfully ran away from home. I know that I could have added this scene through a memory flashback or something similar, but it deserved its own chapter. The thing is, there are events that I want to tell that are not completey relevant OR not as important to the love story of Nadech and Yaya and so I used this as an opening to those side stories. They won't all be childhood memories either, but just my way of giving side characters screen time. My next side story will be a better example, hopefully, and I'll explain more about it.
Thanks for reading.

jjinxx

cecilia

Staff member
Yaya's so thoughtful at such a young age .. it's no wonder she never look down at those below her .. she's so awesome for that and is right for NADECH :wub:

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Another beautiful and touching chapter!

I love the side story too. Yaya is so caring and thoughtful at such a young age. No wonder, it is in her nature to help and nurture those sick animals. The ways she tries to understand Nadech and help him understands his own emotion.

jjinxx

Chapter 20 Going Further

“Don’t worry about a thing,” Nadech reassured to Mark.

Mark sighed. “Alright. Thanks again for understanding. Oh yeah, have you heard from Mario?”

“He’s probably busy with work.”

“I thought so too. If he calls you, let him know Boy is trying to reach him.”

Mark got off the phone with Nadech and reentered the hospital. When he got to Auntie Sri’s room and found the elder woman sleeping alone, he panicked and fast walked through the halls, frantic to find Mint. He spotted her outside sitting under the shade of a tree, absentmindedly fingering a delicate necklace chain.

“Mint, there you are,” he sighed with relief.

She looked up at him with an expression he had never seen before, something mixed with hostility. “You’re really going to stay then?”

Taken aback by her less than welcome demeanor, he spoke haltingly. “I…yeah, I’m staying.”

“You don’t have to. Auntie’s fine so you can go back to work. I hate keeping you from important stuff all the time.”

His eyes softened. “Is this about Auntie Sri? You’re very worried about her, aren’t you?”

Dropping her eyes, Mint nodded, her lips quivering. “I’m sorry for snapping at you.” She sniffled. “I just hate the thought that she’s seriously ill. I don’t want anything to happen to her, and this is the second time already.” Tears fell into her lap, making his heart tremble like her sorrow. He had never seen her cry before. He swept her into his arms, so she could press her face into his chest.

“What will I do if she’s gone?”

“Mint, I told you. We’ll take her to the city where there’s a doctor specializing in Auntie’s disorder. Boy’s a close friend of mine whose whole family is very accomplished in the medical field, so we can trust him. We’ll be able to help her.”

“But still…”

“But nothing. I’m here for you guys.”

“I know.” Mint cuddled next to him and was reminded that she was a very lucky person.

“Mint,” he loosened from her and looked in her eye with determination. “Marry me.”

She gasped. “Are you trying to take advantage of my vulnerable state?”

“What?!” Mark exclaimed. “No, no, no, no! That’s not it at all!”

She giggled, her eyes curving into twinkling stars. “I’m just kidding. I know you wouldn’t do that.”

He groaned. How she had the strength to laugh at this time was a magnificent blessing he couldn’t fathom, but was utterly thankful for. “Geez, don’t make me panic like that. I thought you thought I was a jerk.”

“I know you well enough to tell you aren’t.”

“So…” he cleared his throat nervously. He didn’t even remember that the ring was in his duffel bag in his car. “Um, so what do you think? That is, if you’re not feeling especially vulnerable. Give me an honest answer.”

She thought for a moment. “I’m too…”

He squinted an eye, anticipating her answer. “Too…young?”

“Too tired.” It wasn’t said with the intention to put him off. It was just her honest feelings and having lived a life of fending for herself, it was inevitable that she would need a break. She yawned and wrapped her arms around him. “Let’s just focus on Auntie for now.”

“But…” he bit back his words, seeing her close her eyes and gave in. He pecked the top of her head, stroking her hair. “I love you.” He felt her nod in response.

Absentmindedly, his fingers wound around the necklace she wore, the one that Auntie had given her just the day before. It was a dainty chain with her late mother’s wedding ring, a gold band, hanging on it. It then reminded him of the presence of the ring he had found with the intention of placing it on Mint and making her his forever. But forever would have to wait. Now, she deserved to be held as she relaxed in peace.

“If only I hadn’t lost my job. Why are men such pigs?” Just a few days ago, she was fired for defending herself against a particularly touchy-feely customer.

Feeling guilty about his gender, Mark said, “We’re not all bad. Not nearly as bad as those p’ek in the lakorn.”

This accomplished in tugging her lips into a smile. “But you’re not a guy, Mark.”

“I’m not?” he squeaked.

“I mean, yes, you are. But you’re more like my angel.”

He could work with that. “Then as your angel, you’ll have to heed my advice. Move to Bangkok and live with me.”

“I don’t know,” she hesitated. “I have to consult with Auntie Sri first.”

Mark knew she was too concerned for Auntie’s health to refuse any longer though.

-------------
It was after dinner. Yaya had retired to her room. Nadech was on the balcony, scouring the lands for an answer that could only come from himself. Love existed, he knew it did. He just didn’t trust it, and never wanted to have anything to do with it - until now, and it had come to him without his permission. But he liked to believe he wasn’t a coward, not someone who ran with fear from something that could be really good. But how does one go about trusting that risk?

“Khun Nadech, you’re heading out early tomorrow right?” Kai joined him. “Grab some sleep, why don’t you?”

“I’m alright. What about you?”

“I rarely sleep before midnight.” And he rarely woke after dawn. There was something about this valley, even the man-made aspects of it that made Kai’s heart restless to enjoy every second of it he could. From the moment the dew settled like emeralds on each grass, to the horses that ran as free as in the white river, to the stars in the velvet black sky lighting up the valley effortlessly, and so on until the sun returned to bathe the valley in a glow that made it seem suspended like its own ethereal kingdom, Kai knew if there was such a thing as paradise, this place was as close as it got.

So he could never quite comprehend why the two latest generations of the Phraisong line didn’t make an effort to come here more often. Heck, the whole place had just as many comforts as those in the city, if not more. Kai had been hired to basically run the estate in the absence of the family, absences that were too long in his humble opinion. Even though he couldn’t imagine a better job, it didn’t feel right to him that he lived at this beautiful place more than the owners did.

“Kai.” He always called him formally, but all day, Yaya had addressed him familiarly and it somehow rubbed off on Nadech.

“Yes?”

“Do you know something I could give as an apology?”

“You mean other than saying sorry?”

Nadech nodded solemnly, though his eyes were light. He had not forgotten Mark’s words of wisdom, but he wanted to do something more. He wanted to go further, except Yaya wasn’t the type impressed by jewelry or flowers.

“Depends. Who is receiving this apology?”

Finding it easy to be honest with Kai where he had been elusive with his friends, Nadech answered, “Yaya.”

“I don’t suppose she cares for gold and diamonds, otherwise you would have thought of those already?”

He shook his head no.

“I have an idea. One of the stablemen here has a retired greyhound, who just had pups…”

Rounding the corner, he almost ran into Yaya.

Though she didn’t show it, Yaya was wary of him. She couldn’t help fearing that he might suddenly give her hope and then hide his mind from her again. “You’re still up?”

Even the simplest question opened his heart up to the fact that she cared about him. But seventeen years was a long time to have one’s heart locked up, so he could only proceed with caution and pray Kai’s idea worked.

“I’m going to bed now. Kai wanted me to tell you if you would like a tour of the valley, he’ll be free after nine am tomorrow.”

“Thanks. But I was thinking since Mark can’t make it, I could come to the resort with you.”

“What would you do?” he asked.

She shrugged. “Whatever you need me to. I can simply keep you company.”

Was she just playing her fiancée duties? “You might distract me.”

Yaya frowned. “I won’t get in your way. I’ll just stand to the side and watch.”

“No,” he said firmly, “I mean if you’re there, I will be distracted.”

Her lips parted as his true meaning reached her. He cleared his throat.

“I think you’ll have a better time here, and getting to know everyone. Good night.”

She stood inside her room, shoulder against the window frame. Was she right after all? Had he weighed the consequences and decided to stick to his assertions that he wanted nothing to do with love, nothing to do with her?

Yaya didn’t think it was possible, but she missed the Phraisong Residence. No, it was more like she missed the third wing of the house. There, she was only one door away from him, while here, there were two doors, not including the one in his heart.

Knowing she wanted to breach those doors, Yaya felt her LIKE for him and knew it had been growing strong since he came to her rescue and patched up her heart. Now it was her turn. If only he would allow her to thread the needle, she knew she could love away all of the pain of each stitch, however long it took for him to trust in his feelings.

She wanted to keep deluding herself, telling herself that she only liked him. But the idea that he might really want her to go back to being a stranger pierced her heart so acutely like nothing she had felt before; it was a sorer feeling than when Yuke had broken up with her. It was a feeling that said she loved him. Resisting that would make her just as frozen as Nadech, when what they needed was to move forward.

At nine, Yaya went out to meet Kai and he shared with her as many wonders of the valley as the short day gave him time for. She found herself falling more and more for this valley where the sky breathed sunlight and the wind chased the horses. Birds chirped a spring soundtrack while Plaayo carried Yaya from one place to another. They returned the horses to the stables at dinner time.

“I wish I didn’t have to let you eat alone,” Kai said. “But then again, you won’t be alone.”

She wondered if he meant Nadech would be back early.

She made her way to that wide balcony and breathed in the freshest air she ever breathed before. A thump sounded to her left. There was a box over there with noise coming from it like something was alive inside. Yaya crept to it slowly and crouched. She blinked in surprise seeing her name printed across the box. A gift? For her? With her thumb and forefinger, she lifted the lid and discovered why it had holes. One bark later, she was on her back with a puppy on her chest, greeting her by licking her chin.

“Hello there.” She was laughing already.

The dog, a light tan with large brown spots on one eye and his body, barked gleefully, knowing immediately this was the voice of his lady master. It raised its nose and bound back to the box, climbing inside clumsily. Yaya watched it finished the last doggy treat. Paws on the edge of the box, it looked at her with large black eyes of pure joy and just as fast as the puppy loved her, she was smitten with it.

“Are you up there Yaya?”

“Kai!” She carried the puppy over to the balcony edge and looked down. “How did he get here?”

Kai chuckled and called back. “He’s a gift to you from Khun Nadech. Don’t worry, he’s house trained already and the help has food for him too. But he doesn’t have a name yet.”

With that, Kai set off for his work.

Yaya hugged the puppy, utterly delighted with him. “You look like a Max. Max!”
He barked in answer.

-------------
Nadech made it to the stair case before Yaya raced to his side and threw her arms around his neck.

“Thank you for Max!”

He was so caught off guard with this pleasant greeting that he didn’t even realize he didn’t know what a 'Max' was. All that mattered was her brightened eyes and smile. She didn’t look upset with him anymore.

Something wet dug into his ankle. The sensation was so strange that he stopped abruptly a hair’s breadth from deciding to finish that postponed kiss and looked down. It was the puppy Kai had obtained for him, he assumed. The little thing had its nose pressed into his leg.

Yaya was glad for a distraction to slow down her heart rate. “Max!” She lifted him and cuddled Max with so much adoration that Nadech mentally smacked himself for the pang of jealousy he felt, all of which subsided completely seeing how happy she was.

The evening carried on with no more physical contact. She recounted non-stop every minute she had spent with Max that evening until now.

“Oh but…” she bit her lip. “Do you think he’ll be okay with me?”

“He’s young and completely healthy.” Nadech had read the unease in her face. All her previous pets had passed away within a short time. She needed reassurance that she wouldn’t fail again. Max yawned wide, then touched his nose to Yaya’s fingertips.

“We should go to sleep now. Aw, now that Max is here, I almost don’t want to leave for Khao Yai tomorrow. Maxie, I’ll miss you. I’ll be back soon as possible! Good boy.”

All of her attention had been focused on Max. But at least she was talking to Nadech. Hoping against hope that he had redeemed himself somewhat, he stepped towards her.

“Do you forgive me?”

Indeed, she had ceased being mad since yesterday. And he had gone to such lengths of buying her a puppy to apologize to her, that had to mean he was not so set on distancing himself from her which further boosted her confidence.

“You are forgiven. But…you have to let Max kiss you.”

He wasn’t given a moment to refuse. She pushed Max at him and Max eagerly licked his face. Grinning, Yaya skipped to her room.

-------------
They went their separate ways the next day, Yaya saying a reluctant good-bye to Max, since she would not be back until late.

Nadech returned, thoroughly satisfied with the inspection. The first thing he did was look for Kai. Their riding lessons commenced, but with slow progress.

He was unable to communicate his intentions to Waayoo and the horse followed his own mind. When he tried being more assertive, Waayoo’s indignant refusal to follow orders, running or rearing up suddenly, made his inexperienced master slip off.

Before Kai convinced him he had had enough for the day, Nadech’s clothes were muddy and several bruises blossomed on his body, the biggest of which was palm-sized on his hip.

Oddly, once Nadech was on his own two feet, Waayoo allowed him to lead him by the reins to the stables without any disobedience.

With instincts humans lack, Waayoo knew Nadech was more at ease on the ground. It was as if the horse could read part of his master’s soul that he didn’t know of or want to face – that part of Nadech that didn’t trust himself or others, therefore not allowing Waayoo to trust him either. As for Nadech, he didn’t trust his own species and could count the number of people he actually liked on the fingers of one hand, so it wasn’t going to be easy having faith in an animal.

Horse and human were about to sigh simultaneously, except another animal lunged at Waayoo.

Nadech ordered, “STOP.”

“What are you doing!?” Horrified at the sight of Nadech dragging Max by the collar, Yaya jogged fast to them and took the puppy from him. He continued to watch Max with severe austerity. She glared at him accusingly. “You could’ve hurt him! He’s still so small, why were you so rough?” Disgusted, she marched past him and Kai, who was holding onto Waayoo.

“Poor baby, was the big meanie scaring you? I should have brought you along with me to work.”

But Max seemed to have gotten over being scolded and was happy again.

“Khun Yaya!”

She stopped to let Kai catch up. “I hope you didn’t misunderstand. Khun Nadech wasn’t hurting Max.”

It wasn’t something she would have imagined either. “But I saw him!”

“He was keeping Max from Waayoo. Max is a greyhound and some of them have that instinct to chase or attack anything that moves too quickly. He jumped at Waayoo and Nadech just did what he had to.”

Sorry for her rash anger, Yaya asked, “Did he know this about greyhounds?”

“I did give him background information before obtaining Max, but Khun Nadech was determined to get you a special gift. He said he would make sure Max was trained well enough to be around horses.”

“He was being mean,” she tried to argue, but it was weak and she knew it.

“He was being the one in charge. Greyhounds have to be disciplined by being calm, yes, but also authoritative. He knew what he was doing.”

“Max wants to say sorry to Waayoo.” She looked like a sulky child who was confessing her mistake. It made Nadech’s lips ache for a smile, but he kept his face blank.

“Come.”

She set Max a foot away from Waayoo. Master and horse both looked sternly down at the dog, so Max bowed his head modestly. He would never try to chase another horse, having learned that was wrong in this valley.

Nadech locked Waayoo’s stall then set his eyes on Yaya. She gulped. “I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have judged so quickly.” Because he had made an effort to reconcile with her, she decided she needed to make an effort too, so, with a nervousness she didn’t understand, Yaya said, “I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Khao Yai national park, but tomorrow we’ll be done shooting at one pm. Do you want to meet me there and I can show you around?”

“Like a date?”

Her eyes widened and in her shock, she replied, “No, of course not.” Her face felt warm.

Slightly surprised by her quick denial at his words that had not been intentionally serious, Nadech swept his eyes around the stables once before returning to her. He swallowed against something that tasted disturbingly like disappointment. “It’s okay. I should call father tomorrow and report about the inspection anyways.”

She tried not to let her face show her discontent that he had refused, while beating herself up mentally for her impulsive reply. “Well, you’ll have Max to play with.” She met his unenthusiastic stare and figured he wasn’t much of a dog person. Forcing herself to not quail for her first failure, she asked, “Are you sure you don’t want to go? It’s very beautiful there.”

He shrugged. “There’s always pictures.”

“But it’s not the same as seeing it in person,” she insisted.

“I’m not really up for it. I should finish up work for the resort. Free time is unproductive.”

She frowned. “So I’m being unproductive? Well, I guess you can forget about my offer. I wouldn’t want to hold you back from your precious work.”

Watching her stalk away with her chin up, cuddling Max, Nadech groaned inwardly. Why couldn’t he just shut his mouth? He felt something prod the side of his head and turned to receive Waayoo’s arch stare. The stallion’s eyes were a little too knowing for his liking. “What? Can’t I be honest about my principles?”

Waayoo blew his lips, which sounded suspiciously like a snicker.

“I was not being cold towards her because she rejected to go on a date with me, which wasn’t even a serious suggestion in the first place.” He stuck his tongue in his cheek, sighing. “Why am I explaining this to a horse?”

Waayoo shook his head in the direction of Yaya’s exit.

“You want me to go after her? What, so I can say another stupid thing and then have to work my butt off for an apology? Buy her another dog that will attack you? No thanks. Not worth the headache.” But it was, actually. Ending her grudge towards him had been worth all those days of questioning his sanity, because when she smiled at him again, his chest lightened and his soul relaxed.

SIDE STORY 2 Pink Theory

Norachai had given each of the three kids new bikes for the new year.

“Dude, what are you wearing?” Oh gaped at Nadech

He looked down at his knee pads and elbow pads, while clicking the clip of his helmet under his chin. “Protection.”

“Why? You already know how to ride a bike.”

“You should always wear protection when you’re doing it,” Nadech replied sternly, completely unaware of the sexual innuendo that paralleled that sentence. “You might have an accident.”

“P’Nadech is right,” Kim said, also geared up in her own protective pieces, her long braid hanging down her back. “You and me have never ridden bikes before, so we should be extra careful. Where are you protection gear?”

Oh waved their cautions off carelessly. “It can’t be that hard. Your brother can do everything. Watch, I bet by the end of the day, I’ll be able to beat Nadech in a race down the street.”

-------------
“Don’t die, don’t die, don’t die…” Kim flinched as the door to the hospital room opened and out walked a boy wearing a white lab coat over over-sized scrubs.

“Are you the patient’s family?”

Blinking in anxiety, Kim nodded. “Who are you?”

“I’m Doctor Boy.”

“But you’re not big. Aren’t doctors adults?”

“My dad owns this hospital, so that automatically makes me a doctor. See the stethoscope?”

“Ooooh.” She agreed readily, since only real doctors could possess such a serious medical instrument.

“Can I see my brother now, doctor?”

“You might as well, but he can’t see or talk back.”

“Why?” her voice trembled in horror.

“He’s dead.”

“Nooo!” She burst into the room. Upon witnessing her brother lying like corpse she believed Oh really was gone. She flung herself onto the bed and began shaking him. “Stupid brother! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I told you to wear the protection!”

She began to sob, her body quaking in misery. The sound of grief coming from such a beautiful, small girl stung Boy in his nearly teenaged heart. He felt so guilty for making her sad that he immediately went to the side of the bed and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Don’t cry. Please, he’s not really dead. I promise! Look.” Boy punched Oh’s arm.

Oh howled in pain. “That arm’s already broken! Yikes, what are you doing to me!?”

“Y-you’re not d-dead?”

Boy gulped, seeing the shiny tear streaks on her face. “His arm has a closed oblique fracture and his sides and legs have minor contusions that will not take long to heal. See?” He roughly pressed Oh’s legs, making him yelp in the hopes that she would feel better. “He’s perfectly alive.”

Kim sniffled, glaring. “Well he’s going to wish he was dead after I’m done with him. Stupid brother!”

Oh scrambled to the far side of his bed. “Alright! Sorry for tricking you Kim. Please don’t hurt me! Help, Boy, Nadech!”

Nadech had followed Kim inside but stood still to let her get her revenge.

Boy stayed with them the whole day. He let her play with the stethoscope, which she whacked Oh with, but listened gently to Nadech’s heart with. He watched them and thought he would have gladly let Kim beat HIM up if she fussed and took care of him as much as she did to Mario after they all calmed down.

Fall 2008

“I’ve always dreamed of becoming a nurse,” the pretty sophomore smiled flirtily at Boy. “Maybe we can meet up and I’ll practice on you sometime.”

He smirked, hiding his exasperation from yet another young female college student who thought that she could get ahead by using her body. It didn’t help that Boy’s family ran half the hospitals in southern Thailand, many of them being medical professionals themselves. Boy had also graduated with honors from Mahidol University as a biomedical major. Representing the alumnis, he was back for this semester’s first seminar and sure couldn’t avoid the crowds of undergrads working to win his favor.

Managing to separate from his admirers, Boy’s eyes zoomed in on the young lady sitting to the right of the front row, her textbook, notebook, Ipad, and pencase laid out neatly, ready to charge into the competition—of the class, that is. She did not even glance his way, as she intently read through the class syllabus, already halfway through the ten page packet.

Not wanting to disrupt her but wanting even less to deal with the others, he decided to go greet her. “Nong Kim.”

She looked up, sweeping her hair out of her face. “Hi P’Boy.”

She was the type of well-mannered, conscientious and hard-working person who didn’t ask for favors or take advantage of unnecessary connections, unlike the rich kids who entered the school without lifting a finger. Kim was not like the hi-so masses who expected to be catered to and given special attention, so he hadn’t expected her to be especially interested in him.

Fortunately for Boy, he and Mario had developed a close friendship after they met at a hospital when he was twelve. Though he didn’t see Kim often, he had come to look forward to catching glimpses of her now and then, each smile making him short of breath, each glance from her raising a blush. And here she was now, a grown woman, and he knew she still saw him as nothing more than the big brother’s friend, the school senior, the guy that was not Nadech.

Three years later, he had managed to become HER friend, an accomplishment that kept his secret feelings strong as he stood to the side, watching her gain recognition as a top student; her classmates overcoming the fact that she was not of the same social status, but that she deserved just as much acknowledgement for her bright mind and her bubbly yet down-to-earth personality, gaining popularity. Occasionally, he stepped in to give her first opportunities to work with famous researchers and professors.

Boy hid hears of affection underneath his own studies and work.

One day, after a lab study where Kim had been particularly silent and distracted, he felt his feelings might break loose from the dam in his heart if he wasn’t careful.

“Oh said an important meeting came up so he can’t come get you.” She had even forgotten her cell phone. “I’ll drop you off.”

“I can take the bus.”

“Don’t be silly. I’m going to the hospital. Your house is on the way.”

The house. The house that could never be her home as she had imagined, warming it to welcome Nadech each day. That would be his fiancee’s job now.

“P’Boy, what would you prescribe for a broken heart?”

Solemn and calm, he rubbed his chin. “There’s always the ancient Tiger Herbal. But personally, I’d take the temporal pill and a heavy dose of social syrup.” He explained further. “Let time heal the cracks and spend that time in the company of good friends. For example, start out by going to a movie with me.” He wriggled his brow and saw her lips curve upward.

“You make it sound like you’ve experienced this before. Or are you the one who does the heart breaking?”

He imitated shock. “Certainly not. In fact, I’m taking my own prescription.”

“Who would break your heart? You’re a kind, intelligent, generous man.”

It was worth being in the shadows knowing she at least thought of him in such a good light. If she allowed him, Boy had confidence she wouldn’t need any ancient, modern or voodoo medicine; he would heal her heart and also maintain it in perfect condition forever.

Initially, I wanted to write a short sequel to SDLF that tells Kim and Boy's story, to be titled 'Pink Theory'. And then after, maybe Mario and Taew's story, titled 'Love Seat'. But honestly, I don't think I have the energy to spare for another main couple that is not Yadech. Forgive me! >< It's an addiction you're all familiar with right? For this reason, rather than write an entire fanfic starring Kim and Boy, I've decided to fill in their parts using side stories. There will probably only be one more part for this couple. Then I might write a short episode for Mario and Taew. We'll see how it goes.
You might wonder where I'm going with this; well, this trio (Nadech, Oh, Kim) has been together since they were little and so I wanted all of their love stories told, but like I said, I'm such a Yadech maniac that I have few brain cells left to spare for other couples.
As for Mteam, you've probably noticed that they are included right in the story of SDLF. They are an exception because...

jjinxx

jjinxx

Chapter 20 Perfectly Out of Order

Like a date?

“Maxie!” Yaya groaned, lying on her stomach on her bed. Max was next to her, imitating her pose. “What am I going to do? Why did I invite him?”

The incident at the horse stables was the first time she and Nadech had talked since she said she forgave him, because she had left relatively early that morning. Why did their meeting after reconciling have to end with more disagreement? And where in the world had that ‘date’ come from?

“He wasn’t being serious,” she hypothesized to herself. She honestly did not think he was the dating type, especially not at this stage. After all, they were engaged. A date was just so backwards.

But that was the problem. They had not even known one another before becoming housemates.

“Why is everything out of order for us? It’s like a tree growing without starting from a seed. Then again, how can there be a seed without a tree? A seed should fall from a tree, in which case, a tree could possibly come without a seed. Huh?” She shook her head. “It’s like thunder coming before lightning. Hm, but sometimes I hear the thunder even without seeing the lightning. So does that mean I missed the lightning or was there no lightning? Nevermind, forget that one. Um…It’s like the chicken coming before the egg.”

It was such an old contradiction that she should have known it would give her a migraine. Yaya raised her head at that. “But then where did the egg come from? So is it more like the egg coming before the chicken? But…Argh.” She dropped her face into her hands.

Max watched, eyes round as if he was contemplating just as seriously as she was, how they might compare her relationship with Nadech.

“Ah, I know! It’s like summer coming before spring!” She tsked. “But with global warming, it wouldn’t be surprising if all the snow melted into summer right away. And there isn’t any snow in Thailand, is there?” Now even more perturbed than when the night had began, she rolled around listlessly, nearly squashing Max, who jumped to the floor just in time. “Maxie, what am I doing?”

But just as soon as the question was posed, she knew what she had to do. She had to make sure things did not reverse. This was her chance. Yaya whispered, “I don’t want things to go back either.”

When he had said those words, her instinct told her they had been true. And so, she had to follow her guts.

He should have known the first time she caused a disturbance at his birthday party that Yaya was going to wreak havoc on his life. Investing on the side, wasn’t he a pretty darn good predictor?

Nadech rolled his eyes. “All those years playing the stock market is easy as peeling a banana compared to this.”

Mario was on the phone with him and chuckled at his comment.

“I didn’t get a chance to ask Mark, but are his people taken care of?”

“Yep. I think he must have called me the same day he called you. You should have heard him when he was talking to me about them. It was as if he’d finally found the purpose of his life.”

It made Nadech a bit envious. “So the missus will finally be revealed.”

“Indeed. Tell you what, you come back with Yaya happy and me and Taew will treat you to lunch. It will be a double date.”

Nadech cringed, hearing that last word. As if sensing his friend’s distress, Oh asked. “And how are you doing with YOUR missus.”

“The dog worked. To a point.”

“Until you said something?”

“Shut up.”

“That’s my line.”

“I don’t need someone else on my case about her. It’s not my fault we differ in opinion about things in life.”

“True. Wait, who else have you been talking to? I thought you said you hadn’t spoken with Mark since he called to cancel.”

“Uh…” Nadech glanced in the direction of the stables, but there was no way he was admitting that he had ‘chatted’ with Waayoo about his problems with his fiancée. “Kai. You remember him?”

“Oh yeah. Anyway, whether Mint and her Aunt agree to come or not, ‘which they WILL,’” Oh imitated Mark, making quotation marks with his fingers, “Mint will be in the city with him the day you guys return and Mark threatened to cut off ties with you if you return with tension in the air while he introduces his beloved future missus, so just make sure you apologize or do whatever you have to do. Buy Yaya a cow this time or something.” Oh snorted. “Though her bride price has got to be way more.”

Nadech turned to give his phone an incredulous look, then sighed. “Well, that’s the start of this thing, I guess. We skipped all the way up to the bride price before, er, getting to know each other.” His face flushed, hearing himself say something so sentimental.

Oh smiled. “It’s not too late. You’ll spend your life with her and get to know her then. For some people, fate works out of order, but occasionally, you discover that was the perfect order for you after all. Like with Mark’s parents.”

Nadech swept his eyes across the stars. “I guess so.”

-------------
As if Yaya didn’t have enough to worry about with Nadech, when she reunited with the photo team at the national park the next day, she received an unpleasant surprise as the team took a break.

“Hey Yaya.” Yuke emerged from the other people, nearing her, but keeping a safe distance like he didn’t want to scare her off.

“What are you doing here?” She didn’t bother keeping the rude tone out of her voice.

“I heard you guys were here and I thought I would join to get the feel of the atmosphere for the event. Maybe after you’re done, we could go for a walk.”

She scoffed. He hadn’t listened to a word she said back at Jack’s party, it seemed. “I’m busy after the shoot.”

“With what?”

“My fiancé.”

Yuke’s face clouded. “I thought the team said you were going to eat at the hotel with them.”

“Well,” she thought quickly, “I’ve just decided that I should get back to our estate and pack for our trip back to town.”

“You don’t have to keep doing this you know, putting up this front. I can tell you two aren’t any closer to being more than strangers.”

His words raised doubts in her. She and Nadech weren’t really making any progress and after last night, even such a small disagreement seemed able to widen the space between them.

“Yaya, please.” Yuke was unconcerned about the others who were present. “Give me another chance and I can take you away from him. My family’s business is expanding. I’ll be able to give you what your parents want.”

“But what I want is not relevant to business or family or money.” She pierced him with a direct stare. “It’s not relevant to you either.”

He clenched his jaw, pride shredded by her blunt rejection. “We’ve known each other ten years. You can’t really be throwing that all away. Seeing as I made a mistake, I’m willing to fix it.”

“Seeing as you made a mistake, you should respect my wishes. I’m willing to be friends. Nothing more.”

“Has that big shot really wrapped you around his finger? You have nothing in common with him.”

“Guess that’s what they mean by opposites attract, huh?” she pointed out sarcastically.

“Has he said he loves you? Has he said he likes you? Has he said he’s attracted to you?” He smirked at her silence. “I thought so.”

She gave a huffy chuckle. “So I’m supposed to come back to you because you said all that to me first? And where did we end up? Words only have so much power. Yuke,” she crossed her arms against his advances, “Please, just let this go. Let us end with at least some happy memories. I won’t deny that you were a big part of me.”

“I’m not too happy about that past tense. And I know the real reason he proposed to you.”

She merely pressed her lip with the tips of her teeth. She wished the break would end right now.

“Yaya, someone’s here for you.” Her teammate gave her a perceptive smile before gesturing to the man a few steps away.

“Nadech!”

His stride was confident and straight for her, like a beacon of light thrown out to a storm-tossed ship. His eyes never left her. “Sorry to interrupt. I didn’t have much to do back there, so I just…”

“You made it!” She was so glad to see him, so glad that he had once again arrived with impeccable timing, it couldn’t be helped when she immediately took the last few steps to meet him face to face. Most of all, she was glad he had changed his mind, so she failed miserably to act smug or grudging and instead, broke out in a grin. “Have you decided to be unproductive for the day?”

On the contrary, he had decided that accepting her invite was just what he needed in order to sort out his turbulent emotions, and maybe move forward from this dizzy stand-still that her existence was putting him through. His reply was loss however, seeing a person he hadn’t expected to be there.

Yaya looked over her shoulder at Yuke. For that minute of Nadech’s arrival, she had all but forgotten Yuke was there and that she was annoyed by him.

“Is he a part of the photo team also?” Nadech asked.

“No,” Yuke answered for himself and didn’t hide his intentions. “I came to meet Yaya.”

She almost hissed at him, but Nadech didn’t miss a beat in his calm reply. “I’ve reserved her for the rest of the day, unfortunately.”

“Yuke was just leaving.”

“No, I’m not.”

Nadech offered a friendly smile. “Did you want to join us after Yaya is done? Just to let you know though, someone else is with us.” He whistled and from a tree, Max wove his way to them.

Yuke took an involuntary step back, seeing the tiny four-legged beast.

“Maxie!” Yaya crouched for Max to enter her arms.

“You got another dog?” Yuke asked darkly, backing away some more.

“Nadech gave me Max.” She smiled wide, rubbing Max’s head fondly and eyeing Nadech with delight. The vision of the three of them together infuriated Yuke and made the purpose of his trip here appear so bleak even in his own eyes. “An early present for tomorrow?” He caught the inquiring look Nadech passed to Yaya and scoffed. Nadech didn’t even know what tomorrow was.

“Max is a greyhound,” Yaya informed cooly. “His instincts tell him to hunt anything that runs too quickly.”

Max swiveled his head to Yuke and barked. He jumped slightly, tensed at the dog. He hated dogs and was thankful when his phone rang. Seeing he could not prolong his visit with Yaya anymore, he had no choice but to use his call as an excuse to leave.

They walked a little ways to the pool fed by a mini waterfall.

“Is Max even allowed in the park?”

“I’ll make sure he behaves.” Indeed, Max was willingly submissive with each of Nadech’s commands, just as he had been confident of.

Yaya set Max down, holding onto his leash. “I’m surprised you came.”

“I didn’t come to put on a show for that guy.” He was a bit agitated from his encounter with Yuke. He didn’t think changing his mind and coming to the park would be a mistake but seeing that guy's face put him on edge. Part of him still believed that Yuke owed his fist a punch, preferably in the nose.

“I know.” She peered at him from under her lashes. “So why did you come”

“Your offer last night, to show me around; is it still available?”

“Does that mean you’re really staying? I’ll have to let the others know I won’t be joining them at the hotel then.”

Nadech watched her unblinkingly. “If you go with them, will he be with you?”

“Most likely.”

“Then yes, I’m staying.” He read the relief on her face. “On one condition.”

She nodded eagerly.

“I will stay if you agree that this is our first date.”

“Why does it matter?” She was breathless, hearing his request. He really wanted to go on a date with her? Their first date? She should have worn her other shirt. What about her jeans? And her hair was up in that practical bun for work. She should have at least curled her hair. Oh, the situation was bizarre, him asking for a date.

His face was straight and serious. This was the biggest challenge he’d faced in his life and he was not about to mess up again. That was not how Nadech worked. “It matters because…I’ve never gone on a date before. And,” he glanced to the side, “I would like my first one to be with you.”
She kept giving him ‘first times.’ It seemed only right that the duty be awarded to her permanently.

Okay, now she was really breathless. Unable to resist and hoping she wasn’t digging a grave for herself, Yaya asked, “Why with me?”

His eyes this time held no trace of grey. He would not make this request an order that she must fulfill as his fiancée, nor would he use any excuse to blame this unexpected request on. It was with one hundred percent of his wits, with a confident and determined conscience that Nadech said, “Because I like you.”

Short chapter but I will try to make up for that with my next update. ^^

jjinxx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
What a great way to start the week!

I'm loving this story and constantly looking for the new updates. I like Nadech's chaacter. He is slowly starting to open up and not afraid to show his emotion.

Thanks again jjinxx, you are truly a gifted writer and we are glad you are here to share your talent with us.

:clap2: :clap2: :thanks:

jjinxx

Chapter 22 First Date

Revolutionary. That was how one might describe Nadech’s words. Mario would describe the reason for it as, “A miracle, dude. The angels got tired of watching him hold it all in.” Kim would describe the reason for it as, “Fated love. Nothing can stop it.” Margie might describe the reason for it as, “He was threatened by the ex-boyfriend’s reappearance and finally took action. Yuke actually did something useful.” Mark would simply blame it on, “Brain damage. Nadech was right all along. Come to think of it, Yaya might have been right about that theory of getting dropped on the head as a baby too. Together, they make one perfect loopy couple.”

Whatever the reason, there was no rewinding now.

“Because I like you.”

As his confession left his lips, Nadech braced himself for a reaction that was sure to make him regret what he had said. If he hadn’t been practiced in blanking his expression, if he hadn’t been immune to the bothersome emotions of people around him, if he hadn’t been Nadech Phraisong, he might have been hyperventilating like a fifteen year old asking his first crush on a date as the world stood still to draw out the agonizing consequences of his words.

But he WAS Nadech, who had trained his face to tell only what he wanted others to see, who had been unaffected by the tears and smiles of strangers, who had been the fifteen year old politely rejecting the love letters and admiration of the girls—and boys—that he had been the first crush of. And so, he was able to hold back the anticipant waves of affection, fear, desire, and panic that were threatening to crush him. Whatever she answered him with, he would take it like a man.

It was like the wings of a bird lifting off the ground to meet the wind and journey out towards an endless horizon. Yaya didn’t know when the destination would be reached, but with four words, he had given her a heightened assurance and paved a solid path for her to finally venture into his heart. She would enjoy every second of the journey, smooth or rocky.

And she would begin by saying, “I like you a lot too.”

Heart bursting with satisfaction, Nadech awarded her with another of his rarities, flooring her with his smile. No wonder he was normally a pokerface. Brighter than the sunlight, that smile could be illegal; the way its beauty defined happiness warmed his face handsomely, stealing a beat of her heart.

Taking a deep breath of life air, Nadech calmed his fluttering mind. “So. You’ll be done at one?”

“Yeah,” she nodded, wishing one pm would hurry up and get here. His dimples had not quite disappeared and they were driving her wild. “Can you wait?”

He nodded and looked down at the pack in his hand.

She realized what he was holding. “You brought a camera.”

“It was a gift from Kim before we left. She wants pictures of Khao Yai too if I had time, and since you invited me, I might as well. Except, I’m not sure where to start.” Once again, he was caught in something he had no experience with. Luckily, just as Kim had guessed, Yaya was there to guide him.

Much delighted, Yaya was keen to help him. “Start out with whatever you find interesting or new or beautiful. Or something you want a closer look at or want to get to know better. Photos can give people a different angle to everything.”

She checked the time on her cell phone. “I should get back so we can finish this.”

“Can I borrow your cell phone?”

“Sure.”

Nadech pocketed the little gadget before lifting his camera to his eye. Something interesting and beautiful and which he wanted to see more clearly. Turning slowly in a circle, he found her. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear before taking control of the set, flitting here and there, hardly ever hesitating to fix this or point out the best spot they should cover. Nadech found he could easily enjoy photography if Yaya was always the subject.

-------------
Her team urged and pushed her away as soon as they finished, telling her to spend as much time with her fiancé as possible. She tried helping but they were a hopelessly romantic group and forbid her from touching the equipment for cleaning up.

“Dang. And they said they missed me too. Hmph.” She found him finishing a call on her phone. “We’re all done.”

He handed her the phone back.

“Did you get any photos you like?”

“One or two.”

“Can I see—“

“No. Um,” he zipped the camera case securely, “they’re not that good. Shall we get going?”

One of the park officials who had come to aid the photo team hurried over to them. “Khun Nadech! Welcome. If there’s anything you need please let us know.”

“Thank you.”

They started walking, with Max excitedly leading the way.

“Do you know him?” she asked.

“No, but he might know me. My grandfather helped establish this park.”

She gaped at this news. “I need to do more research…”

“It’s inconsequential.” He took her hand, making her freeze in her tracks. “What is it?” He cocked his head, seeing her stare at their folded hands. “This is what people do on dates, right?”

She looked at him in disbelief, because he said it so blatantly, while she expected him to be more reserved. He glanced to the side, suddenly questioning if he had broken some first date rule.

“Is this wrong? I’m sorry, I didn’t know…”

But Yaya squeezed his hand before he could withdraw, and smiled with such sweetness and understanding that he could have let her lead him blind-folded through the whole park, or the whole country. That much trust came with such a relief that at that moment, Nadech knew he was right: there was no going back.

More than once she caught him with his camera aimed at her but with one hand holding Max’s leash and the other wrapped in his, she couldn’t hide from the lens.

“Shouldn’t you be taking pictures for Kim?”

“I have some here already. I was your model once, so now it’s your turn.”

She rubbed her nose with the back of her hand, more pleased than she should be, and walked on with Max tagging at her heels, running ahead, then jogging back to them in an exhilarating pattern.

Once, Max got over-excited and ran in a circle around them so that their ankles got bound by his leash. Nadech placed a steadying hand around her waist to keep her from stumbling until she got Max to unwind them.

Unable to resist teasing him when she got hungry, Yaya took him to the street vendors for food; but she discovered he was quite content there. She watched in amazement as he set down their bowls of noodles. She thought he would feel out of place, not comfortably ordering and then adding spices to his food. He even tossed some meat down for Max. If no one looked closely, they would think he was just another regular guy. It was Yaya’s familiarity with how he moved that revealed the formal way he was brought up, like when he folded his napkin neatly to wipe his mouth.

Yaya said, “You look like you do this often.”

A corner of his mouth lifted. “My first time eating food like this was with Oh and Kim. We didn’t have money though because we were just kids, so. . .”

Her jaw dropped. “No way! I don’t believe it!” THE Nadech Phraisong had used the so called five-finger discount!

“We were hungry. Besides, once I returned home, I went back and paid the people we stole from properly.” Only Oh knew that on those Saturdays he visited the temple, he ate street foods in that open market that the kids had made a sport of surviving in.

Such a novel idea of Nadech out like a ruffian made Yaya laugh because it was so contrary to his usual self. And he had said those were the best three days of his life. As if she was slowly pushing through a misty land, Yaya saw more and more of who he was.

She understood something too. While he was in that house, it was his prison of guilt and yearning for his two people. But outside, these places allowed him to be free. He didn’t see that, but she did and was all the more thankful for Waang Saaeng Kham.

She watched him slurp the noodles. “When I was little, I saw some kids running away from these vendors they stole from. I hope they never got caught. I imagined that they turned into birds and flew away to an island that never ran out of chocolate and ice cream.”

“Ice cream?”

She caught his eye and ducked her head. “Hey, I still like ice cream. Just not mint brownie flavor.” That was the flavor she got sick from.

He chuckled, dropping a chicken bone down for Max. Yaya was about to do the same, but stopped herself.

“Hey! A wishbone!”

Nadech stared at the y-shaped bone, then arched a brow at her. “Does it do tricks?”

She blinked at him, then threw her head back in giggles. “You don’t know what a wishbone is?”

“I know that its scientific name is called furcula.”

She continued shaking her shoulders in amusement. “Well you get to make a wish off a furcula.” He listened intently to her explanation. “Two people hold each end and make a wish, then they break it together and whoever has the bigger side gets their wish granted.” He appeared skeptical. “Okay, so it’s only superstition, but it’s still fun to do. Come on, let’s do it.”

He delicately held on to the other side.

“Make a wish now.”

What was he supposed to wish for? There was one desperate wish, to find his mom and sister. But he watched her close her eyes and then he smiled.
‘I wish that Yaya’s wish will be granted.’

‘I wish that Nadech’s wish will be granted.’
She opened her eyes to see him concentrating hard on the wishbone and thought he must be wishing to find his mom and sister. Either way, her wish would help him.

“Ready?”

He nodded. They both pulled. Yaya’s side was larger.

“Congratulations,” he said. She bit back a sneaky smile.

After finishing their food, they ventured back into the park, and agreed to take a short hiking trail. Yaya discovered that it had been a good thing she wasn’t all dolled up since her shoes and khaki shorts were perfect for walking the hour. Nadech was also comfortably dressed and with Max, they began to walk the one hour trail. The sun was merciful, attached to a fluff of cloud waving warmth mildly down upon the tops of their heads. The trees shaded the couple and their small company and every now and then, the whispering breeze snaked between the forest to peek at the two people whose voices mingled, whose hands were attached, and whose hearts were budding.

It took them a little longer than the map predicted to reach one of the waterfalls, since they put more strength into being attentive to one another than to quickening their steps.

Nadech heard the waterfall before seeing it.

“Isn’t it great?” Yaya said, spreading her arm to take a deep breath. She loosened her hand and walked ahead, wrapped Max’s leash around a rock near the edge of the pond so he could play in the cool waves, then crouched near the edge herself to cup a handful of water.

He watched her splash her neck, gathering her hair onto one shoulder before twisting it back up into a bun; her actions were a lovely sight for his eyes.

“Are you going to stand there all day?”

He searched the ground and found a fallen branch laden with leaves, which he took possession of.

Yaya felt the darkness of shade above her and discovered Nadech was holding a leafened branch over her head. “Thanks, but you don’t have to do that. Sit here.” She patted the stone next to her like it was a throne. She then pulled her shoes and socks off and let her feet dangle into the pond, peering up at him expectantly.

Nadech hesitantly lowered himself cross-legged next to her.

Yaya pursed her lips. “Take your shoes off too. The water is nice and cool after the walk.”

“I’m fine.”

Of course, she didn’t take no for an answer, and immediately yanked one of his ankles out so that he had no choice but to say, “Alright, alright…”

Amused with himself, he removed his shoes and socks, rolled up his pants, and extended his legs into the water that reached up to their knees. Once the icy relief soaked into his feet, he couldn’t help swinging his feet back and forth, even observing in fascination as his toes wriggled at how nice the water blanketed his skin. He caught a tiny sound of breath from the side and turned to see Yaya trying to stifle a laugh.

“Told you so,” she smiled. She planted her palms on the rocks behind her and leaned back with her weight on her arms. “Ah. This reminds me of camping. It’s been so long since I’ve gone.” She glanced at him. “Do you ever go camping?”

As expected, he shook his head. “It never interested me.” He started to copy her pose too, placing his hands on the ground behind him, but instead of landing on grass or rock, his right hand fell on top of her left one. They both flinched in surprise as if that was the first time they had ever touched, their hands drawing away. Before the moment could turn awkward, Max bounded behind them, flicking water off his head that sprayed them.

Laughing, Yaya splashed back at Max and they soon teamed up to give the poor puppy an impromptu bath until they fell breathlessly back to their spots, legs once again dipped into the fresh pool.

Nadech sighed while she brushed away a drop of water clinging to her lashes, then dropped her hand into the water. The scene was perfect. Except for one thing.

Nadech watched her lazily circle her hand through the water and slowly, raising ripples that swam out to meet the ones growing from her wrist, his own hand slid into the pond, where his fingers searched their way until finding the open spaces between her fingers, and locked into place. Simultaneously, they smiled.

For several minutes, they let words rest and simply drank in the surrounding sight.

“How are the riding lessons going?”

“Fine,” he answered, omitting the part about his subsequent failures. “How long have you been horse-back riding?”

“Since I was thirteen. Question,” she gave her ankles a stretch. “If your grandparents have always owned horses, how come you never ride them?”

“I’m not much of an animal-person.”

“Question; don’t you get tired of working?”

“It’s worth it knowing my future will be secure.”

“Question; do you ever just live in the present?”

He tilted his head to look at her sideways. “I think it’s my turn. Question; to you, what about the present is worth living for?”

“My family, my friends, you. . .” Yaya's mouth froze, her face flushed and it had nothing to do with the heat of the sun.

Nadech felt his mouth go dry. It might have been the unfamiliar air, or the cold water, or her voice, or her words, or everything all at once, everything about her, that made him light-headed. It wasn't an altogether unpleasant sensation though, and he was unable to control the blossoming of his heart after hearing her accidental confession.

From her profile, he watched her lips curve up into her signature smile, and in it was once again that beauty and sweetness that made him want to leave behind all inhibitions and just let her love him. It made him want to construct a canopy of leaves and camp here with her for the rest of his life. His breathing caught in his throat. The rest of his life was a long time and yet, here he was, on his first date ever and he was already contemplating having her be with him. But then he remembered that they were engaged and that was how it was going to be anyway.

Thinking of the engagement, it wasn’t the old disinterest that wrapped around him though. It was a sense of adventure and anticipation that filled his lungs while he admired her, not even bothering to take a picture because the real thing was just too valuable to take his eyes off of for even one moment. He hadn’t thought he could encounter anything or anyone as precious as his mom and sister. But here was Yaya, someone whose hand he did not want to let go of.

Trying to cover the embarrassment from her slippery tongue, Yaya resorted to a juvenile reaction. She nudged the side of his leg with her toes. Bemused, Nadech nudged her back gently underwater. She elbowed his arm. He breathed a quiet laugh, and pushed her shoulder with his left hand. She elbowed him in the side. He shied away suddenly.

“Question; are you ticklish?” Yaya’s smile died away as she caught the very quick spark of pain on his face before he masked himself. “Wait, what is it?”

“Nothing.”

Cautiously, she poked his side, near his hip. He gave the smallest of flinches. Before he could stop her, she pushed his shirt up and her jaw dropped. “Where did that bruise come from?”

“It’s nothing, really. I fell off Waayoo yesterday—“

“I thought you said the lessons were fine.”

“I’m alive aren’t I?” He cleared his throat. “Do you usually undress people on first dates?”

Her eyes widened and she pulled her hand away, realizing she had indeed initiated abnormal skin contact. “I-I wasn’t undressing you.” She frowned as he chuckled. “Does it hurt?”

He shook his head. He’d felt pain a lot worse than this before and a lot deeper than the skin, so this was nothing. “It doesn’t hurt.”

He laced his fingers with hers again, washing her with a sentiment that said all he needed right now was her hand to numb all the pain. Yaya curled her fingers tight around his.

After a while, Nadech said, “Let’s head back before it gets dark.”

While walking the trail back to the main road, they heard some squeaking noises from the air. Craning their heads up, a strange black cloud came into view. “What is it?” he asked.

“Bats.”

They headed to his car as Nadech urged a mellow Max to keep up with them, all the while never letting go of Yaya.

“Are you sure you don’t want any?” She was munching on a small sugar donut from one of the food vendors that she had saved since they were both full after the noodles.

Nadech looked at the pastry. “I guess I could have a taste.” He swooped down and captured a corner of her mouth where a sweet morsel clung, and then licked his lips. “Not bad.”

It was really good actually and he cursed himself for being uncontrolled. Now all he wanted to do was hold her still and kiss every grain of sugar off her full lips, and take his time with it too. His steps quickened, body feeling tortured.

After that sudden peck, she would have tripped over her feet if he had not steadily led her forward. The donut now forgotten, Yaya speculated how in the world he could make such a bold move and continue like it was nothing out of the ordinary. She had been preparing herself for any challenge he might put up against her, any emotional wall he might construct suddenly; but there he was, eating with her, holding her hand, walking like this really was a normal date.

The corner of her lips blazed where his had touched her; she realized he had once again kissed her after saying he wouldn’t, even if this kiss was only a small ‘taste.’ As stupid as it sounded, butterflies were going ballistic in her stomach, so she was glad he was a step ahead, since she was sure she had the goofiest grin on her face right now. It couldn’t be helped. She was just so relieved the man she loved did not want her to be a stranger.

Finally, he let go of her when they got into the car and she realized how much she missed his warm touch, so different from the way they used to feel.

After over thirty minutes of driving, they reentered Nectar Lane and came to a stop right beside the snow white house that seemed to radiate with its own secret source of light against the shadowy green of the land, just minutes after the sun completed its descent into the horizon.

Yaya had not taken her eyes off of him once, she had not been able to find anything in the scenery that could match the attention her mind must pay to the man who made her quiver with anticipation.

Nadech reached back to grab Max, then set him loose outside. He scarpered off towards the stables where he probably planned on communicating his adventure at the park to Waayoo. Nadech then turned to look Yaya fully in the eyes. “Is there something on my face?”

“If you don’t stop surprising me, I’m going to really take you to a hospital,” Yaya said.

By the way his eyes flickered to her lips, she knew he understood she was referring to that peck. Adjusting his body, turning to her, Nadech lifted a sure hand and cupped her face. He wondered if Yaya was setting out to turn his world upside down and then sideways too. “I surprise myself too.” His hand then slid down to her neck, just below her ear.

Only the strength of his eyes made her resist turning her face to rub her cheek against his palm. His single touch was more intimate than any act of love she had experienced, and this was perhaps because she knew he expressed himself and shared physical and emotional contact so exclusively.

His voice was a mere murmur. “You really need to stop making me break my promises. I’m a man of my word, you know.”

‘It won’t happen again.’ That’s what he had promised.

“Be a man of your heart,” she said, softly, because they were close enough to feel each other’s breaths on their cheeks.

Those words would have been meaningless before his latest birthday, before Yaya became a part of his life and he discovered he had not been living. But now she was here, and the lock on his heart had swiveled open to show that it was still alive and ready to be whirled into the chaos of love by her command.

When he leaned in to capture her sugary lips, it felt like their first kiss.

If anyone needed more proof of Waang Saaeng Kham’s heavenliness, Kai had it. It was the witness of those two individuals united in love, strolling around the lawn, hand in hand, heads close together, starlight dusting them in a glow. Something had changed today. Kai felt convinced that even after returning to the city, they would be back to make this valley a home once more.

Nadech and Yaya stopped in the hall outside their bedrooms, hands intertwined, stalling the departure from a day neither of them had ever imagined would exist. While trying to find a way to break the silence, she suddenly checked her cell phone.

“It seems awfully late for it to be only seven o clock.”

He pressed a fist to his mouth. They had spent two hours just ambling side by side in the lawn. “That’s because it’s actually nine.”

She gave her phone a quizzical look, so he explained. “Remember the fake hour you gave me when you brought me food? That day your parents were over and my dish was full of pepper?”

Her eyes lit up in understanding. “Oh!”

He had used her own trick, but had instead turned her clock forward. Narrowing her eyes in mock sternness, she said, “Don’t you know there’s a curfew on first dates?”

“Really? Forgive me. This is the first date I’ve ever been on.” But Nadech wasn’t bothered by it, because he knew the rule was not true and it had been worth it, every single second with her.

Yaya asked, "So...did you enjoy your first date?"

His dimples reappeared. "I did. Thank you."

"Do you want to do it again sometime?"

"No." She didn't have time to be disappointed because he added, "One first date is enough for me to know that there is something to live for in the present."

Her heart raced with satisfaction. Did he mean what she thought he meant? As bold as she usually was, she didn't have the courage to ask him for anything more right now. He had told her he likes her, and she would treasure each small step they took.

With tender eyes, he asked, “Is this where the good night kiss takes place?”

Her face colored with a pink. She wanted to tease him or say something like ‘Didn’t you already do that?’ but everything was out of order for them. Engagement. Friendship. Falling in love. First kiss. First date. So it was only right too when she lifted her chin to let their lips meet.

He sighed in content and it made her feel cherished. Her fingers brushed his hair behind his ear and combed their way to the back of his neck, where its gentle weight warmed him all the way down his spine. This was not the brief smooch of a fifteen year old and his crush. This was the longing of two people, prematurely united against their will, but who discovered a new way to complete every missing step in their love; a kiss that was still soft enough in displaying their shyness toward each other, but held nothing back in expressing the compatibility of lips and heart.

:)
@Vimalee, THANK YOU for reading! I appreciate you taking the time to leave comments too! Hope I'll keep you reading to the end!
@Dal, you're here to?! xoxo

jjinxx

Dal

***LOVE, LOVE YADECH***
Yes, I am here too. I read at YADECH FORUM, then sometimes I read here too. I'm such a dork.

I keep smiling over the last chapter. Excellent and superb job, Jjinxxy!!!

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
By far my most favourite chapter. You're amazing jinxx! you got me stalking both threads of Saeng Daet Lae Fon on AF and Yadech forum. I just love your writing style!

jjinxx

@orihime303, Thanks! More sweetness to come in the next chapters!

@Dal, 555 I'm just happy you enjoy the story

@chubbycheeks, :blush: The best way to be stalked is by threads! i love having you as a reader!

WARNING: NOT A YADECH UPDATE

SIDE STORY 3 Love Seat

Have no doubt, Mario worked as hard as he whined to Nadech about. But he was unlike his best friend in that he knew when to take a break and let himself relax. Tonight was one night off he was particularly looking forward to; it was his date with the model and daughter of a restaurant tycoon, Taew Nattaporn Ratchakrom, whom he met just three nights ago at Nadech's birthday party.

And he was going to kill Mark for his god-damn prank. Somehow, he had gotten hold of Oh’s keys and messed up the radio system so that this really dorky and childish love song sang with a voice that brought up the image of a bear. Simply turning on the engine of his car caused the song to blast from the speakers unless Oh remembered to mute the system first. The biggest problem was that he hadn’t needed his car until the night of the date and had no time to get his radio fixed. Nadech was gone. Kim was out studying and Oh didn’t dare drive Uncle’s car. How the hell could he show up at the house of his hot date in a taxi?

“Not a problem. We can just not have music. That’s right, keep up a conversation and there will be no need for music in the car,” he told himself.

Thankfully, he was right. They arrived at their destination, a fancy and polished traditional restaurant, without a single minute of silence that called for music to be filled with.

By the end of dinner, both Oh and Taew were enamored of each other. Their humors complimented well and each had a distinct personality that charmed the other.

Not even in his thirties yet, Mario felt he had had his fair share of love experiences already. He was ready for a serious relationship, one that might lead to marriage and a family. Oh was the old-fashioned type, the kind who felt a man and woman could complete a home, which might have some influence from Uncle, whom he looked up to with highest regards. He wasn’t sure what it was about Taew, but she was so easy to talk to that he wound up telling her the tale of how he and his sister became a part of the Phraisong household. He held nothing back in childhood memories, or of how much he idolized Uncle Norachai.

Taew thoroughly enjoyed learning about his past, and was amazed that while young and successful, he did not forget to be grateful towards his father figure and appreciated everything that he had in life. With her strict parents and busy schedule ever since high school, Taew had never had much time to date. But she was finding that maybe that had been fate’s way of leading her to Mario. He was the most sincere of the men who had ever shown interest in her; he had a genuine character and made her laugh so much that she was sure her mom would be frowning in disapproval if she was there with them. Never had she felt so freed from restrictions, from the scrutiny of other people, from the high expectations of her parents. She simply got to be herself around Oh as he probed for her interests and true aspirations in life.

In high spirits and unaware of much except the lovely lady he was lucky to have as company, Oh secured his seat belt and reached for the knob on the radio. That cheesy love song suddenly cut off their words.

Daisy, daisy, give me your answer true
I’m half crazy o’er the love of you
It won’t be a stylish marriage
I can’t afford a carriage
But you’ll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

The song played fully once before Oh gathered his wits to jab the mute button, cussing Mark to the ends of the earth. Taew’s wide-eyed stare made him stutter hurriedly for an explanation.

“I-I don’t actually listen to that kind of music. At all. It was my friend Mark who tried to get back at me because I posted Barbie posters in his office before he returned—I mean, it was just a prank, I don’t collect Barbie posters or anything. I don’t play with Barbies…or Ken dolls, or Kellys or Stacys, heck, I’ve never even touched one of those in my life. Th-the point is, I don’t listen to this…”

She began to laugh and with relief, he followed suit until the car rang with their sounds of mirth.

“Eh heh…” He rubbed the back of his neck. “So no music, if that’s alright with you.”

“Oh, I really like you. I’d rather talk with you than listen to music.”

“Really?” He smiled wide, pleased with her frank nature.

“Really. But that song’s actually kind of cute. I’ve never ridden a bicycle built for two before.”

Oh stiffened uneasily in his seat while driving, hoping she wouldn’t ask the impending question.

“Have you?”

“No,” he answered before her last syllable had even completed.

Taew observed his nervous attitude and took a wild guess, smiling playfully. “Can you not ride a bike?”

“I can. If I wanted to,” he answered, “I just don’t want to bikes are vicious and hazardous death to them all.”

His outburst tickled her with more amusement.

“Hey, I had a traumatic experience once when I first tried to ride a bike. It broke my arm,” he explained seriously, as if the bike had a living brain full of evil intentions. The bike in accusation was never touched by him again; he gave consent for it to be donated to some other sucker.

“But bikes are the funnest and healthiest ways to get around…”

They continued to discuss different and scary modes of transportation until they reached the font gates of her house.

He got out first to open the door for her and walked her to the door.

“Would you like to come inside?”

“Maybe next time. I don’t want to disturb your family. Good night.”

“Thanks for a wonderful night.” She hesitated to go in and Oh gathered his courage to step closer to her and initiate a kiss.

Just as their lips would have touched, lawn lights burst on, startling them apart. A stern elderly man and a beautiful middle-age woman approached them from the door.

“Taew, it’s late. Come inside,” were the man’s words.

She glanced at Oh. “These are my parents.”

Oh quickly greeted them respectfully. “Good evening. I’m sorry for returning Taew so late.”

-------------
Oh sat stiffly in the richly furnished and gleaming living room of Taew’s house. He made sure to not slouch, keeping his shoulders and back straight under the intense observation of Mr. Ratchakrom. He would have normally broken the ice with a joke or pointed out something that interested him, like the shiny black piano and asked who in their family plays, but he was nervous now, not wanting to give a bad impression.

Once some drinks were served, Oh felt it was time to disperse the awkward silence. “Sir, I just want to tell you how great it is that your restaurant chain has continued to collaborate with Gold Bridge Resort.”

“Let’s make this clear and get straight to the point. I can see that you like my daughter. Fortunately, you two have just met so it won’t be difficult to heed my request. I want you to vanquish any thoughts of becoming serious with her.”

“Dad!” Taew protested incredulously.

Oh didn’t retire his formal posture, but listened carefully to every disappointing word.

“It matters not that you have connections to the famed Phraisong family. I cannot accept someone who has no background or established family to be led into union with my daughter. It’s best, you understand, since she is always under the eye of the public and I don’t want her to be caught in a scandal or for her career to be brought down.”

Horrified by her father’s cold speech, Taew turned her attention to Oh, trying to find words to explain her completely different sentiments toward him. But calmly, Oh stood, brought his hands together respectfully and said, “I understand sir. Thank you for your hospitality.”

He offered a fleeting look at Taew, a waning version of the smile she adored, and left.

-------------
He received missed calls from her after that evening, but he resisted replying and eventually, she stopped. Now, two months later, Oh had not stopped thinking about her. Mostly it was to recall the wonderful chemistry they had shared and the very brief idea that she might be the one for him. A small part of it though, was spent in contemplation over the failed relationship that had barely stared.

Oh was a popular guy, not arrogant or boastful, but easily befriended and he was used to people liking him. Now however, he wondered if his friendly acquaintances liked him more for his connections than his personality. Because of the environment he grew up in after meeting Nadech, most of the people he knew were upper class, so it was unsettling to think that they didn’t truly accept him.

Sure, Uncle Norachai had obviously provided for him so that he was able to reach his success and a career, but he wasn’t lazy enough to let someone else do all the work for him. Oh dedicated his life to making sure his sister would never be deprived of anything again, and also made it a priority to never disappoint Uncle, the person who had given him everything that he imagined his own father would have. It was enough for him and his close friends, so why did it matter so much to others that he did not have a well-known background? He had never had to question himself before, and it bothered him, like a dull chronic migraine, because he was confident of himself all the time.

One of Mario’s favorite stress relief methods was exercise, and so, here he was on a Thursday morning, working his legs to run faster across the park. It was not filled with the usual groups of hyper children and sun tanners because clouds clung to the sky in heavy grey puffs, which was a good thing, because no bikers or other joggers meant Oh was less likely to get into an accident since his mind was only half focused on what was in front of him. He allowed himself not to worry about whether Nadech and Yaya, who were gone to the estate, had made up yet, or about work, or about Kim, whom, ever since returning from her class trip, had taken up post by the living room window to ceaselessy wander her thoughts outside as if she was the next Buddha. He just tried to blank out his mind, which was a lot harder than people assumed, especially when a certain woman kept abruptly popping up in his head.

A ringing sound soon disrupted the two-month steady image of Taew that swam in his head. It came louder and louder, closer and closer until he looked over and did a double take.

Like his mental image had leaped forth into 3-D, there was Taew, waving at him, riding a bike. His jog slowed to a walk as he took in the full picture and realized she wasn’t just riding a normal bike—it was a two-seated bicycle, blue with two black seats and two sets of handlebars. Taew stopped too and smiled in greeting.

“How have you been?”

With his usual suave attitude, he replied, “Can’t complain. You?”

“Okay. Want to go for a ride with me? Make that ok into an excellent?”

That got him to return the smile. Another reason he was attracted to her was because she says what she means and she means what she says. And she was saying that she wanted his company.

“I have told you about my bike trauma, right?”

“Don’t worry; I got the bike shop owner to swear in writing that his bikes have been trained not to tilt while someone’s on them. Plus, you have me.”

At least for the afternoon, he would. Oh decided that would be better than nothing. “Are you sure? What if some paparazzi catch us or something?”

“Then be sure to let them have a shot of that charming smile of yours.” She held out her hand and he accepted it.

It took them a quarter of an hour to get the hang of balancing together. At first, Oh was clutching the bars too tight to remember he had to use his legs, but once he used his legs and they moved forward, he would panic and drag his feet on the ground.

“Just relax,” Taew coaxed to him from the front seat. “I’m in charge of navigating, so don’t worry about the front. Just get into the rhythm of pushing your feet.”

Eventually he got used to finding balance through momentum and leaning into the turns to control the balance. He began to lift his head and watch the scenery pass in a totally unfamiliar speed, different than walking or driving a car. It was especially pleasant with a continuous breeze cooling his face, not to mention that Taew was in front of him, talking and laughing as if nothing had deterred them from that first date.

After they agreed that they had biked enough to earn a treat, the two got soft drinks and took over one of the park benches, in front of a fair sized pond, watching a mother duck lead her gold ducklings to shelter.

“How’s work?” He didn’t really need to ask to know her modeling was still as in demand as ever. Sometimes he purposely listened to his female assistant and other coworkers gossiping about celebrities, hoping that once in a while he’d catch tidbits about Taew.

“I want to quit. No, it’s not really quitting, more like retiring.”

“Why’s that?”

She sighed. “I’ve never had a passion to be judged for my physical appearance.”

He understood what she meant. It was why he was thankful that Kim had turned down a past offer to learn acting, because while he wanted her to have the freedom to choose a path for herself, he’d hate to imagine all the pressure women received in fashion and entertainment industries being pushed onto her shoulders.

“Have you told your parents?”

“Yes. I’ve told them even before now, but they’ve never listened. It’s why sometimes I don’t want to listen to them either.” She caught his eye and didn’t waver. “Like when dad told me to stop seeing you.”

He tried to harden his heart. “Of course you have to listen. They’re your parents. They know what’s best for you.”

She looked at him funny. “Yes, they’re my parents, and they love me. But they’re also human and make mistakes. I believe they misjudged you, and I think I’d be making a mistake if I listened to them this time and let you go even though I have a feeling we could be really good together.”

Her words were simple and candid, directly making him breathless however much he told himself not to be affected by her. “You could be wrong.”

“But we won’t know until we try. Tell me, am I being too bold? Do you not like me as much as I like you?”

His heart warmed just hearing her determination, so that he couldn’t bring himself to lie to her. “Yes, I like you.” More than he had ever like anyone before. He hadn’t stopped thinking about her for the last two months. “But your dad—“

“What’s he going to do? Sue you for liking me? I’m an adult.” She gingerly took his hand in hers.

Instinctively, he curled his fingers around her hand, savoring that first real touch. “We can’t just defy him like it’s for fun though.”

“Oh, do you really think I’m some brat who’s simply rebelling?”

He shook his head. “No, that’s not what I mean. It’s just, he’s your dad. I’m just some guy. If you weigh us on a scale of value, a dad’s trust is worth a ton more than some guy. I’d hate to be someone coming between you and your family.” He and Kim didn’t have a family until meeting Nadech, and he treasured that bond with his best friend and pseudo-father very deeply.

“Let’s see…Are you some guy who steals? Kills? Lies?”

“Um, no, no, and I try not to lie.”

“You don’t involve yourself in illegal activities, or drink excessively, or fool around with women, or party?”

Again, he answered with determined sincerity. “No to all of those, but I do enjoy a party now and then.” He winced, making her shake her head in amusement.

“Oh, you don’t have to be perfect. Save that for the screen people, for the stars and the models.”

“But you are a model,” he pointed out. “You’re perfect.”

“No, I’m not.”

“YES,” he reiterated. “You’re perfect.”

The way his eyes never left hers, the way they penetrated deep within her to emphasize how highly he thought of her just pushed her harder to fight for someone who was finally worth keeping. “Perfection is hard to reach, and I’m tired. I want real life. I want a real life partner who will accept me without expecting perfection, without caring whether I eat dessert or skip a work out. Someone who doesn’t have to think I look beautiful in the morning when I roll out of bed with a bare face, but still loves me for being there.”

Oh offered a gentle smirk. “That’s crazy. I bet you look gorgeous when you roll out of bed in the morning. I bet your birdnest hair will be fun to play with,” he wrapped a lock of her hair around his finger. “I bet your sleepy red eyes will be like stars.”

She quirked a brow at him. “What about my morning breath?”

“Hey, there’s a reason Listerine was invented.”

She dropped her head on his shoulder, smiling at his nonsense.

“You’re perfect the way you are.” A thrill shot up his arm where she was leaning on him and his confidence returned to him, witnessing the faith she held for him. “I don’t have any prestigious background to offer to the boyfriend resume, just in case you haven’t noticed.”

“You passed the background check with all those no’s. If it’s about my parents, I know we can get through it. Even parents sometimes wear veils in their eyes and hearts, but together, we’ll lift their prejudice against you. You are worth the fight. Look, didn’t we accomplish something today?” She nodded over at the two-seated bike. “We’re a team.”

He chuckled. “It is pretty amazing that I actually rode a bike. And it’s thanks to your help.”

She returned his hug, their arms fitting around each other comfortably, and they each knew the person holding them was who they belonged to. Oh realized he couldn’t give her up. Nor could he allow anyone to judge him for his status, something he had no control over. He wasn’t perfect, but he wouldn’t let Taew down. Besides, it would be an insult to Uncle and Nadech if he hung his head and let people look down on him, as if they had not taught him to be a better person who could survive on his own, and provide for his loved ones.

He might not have been born into the world with a parade to welcome him, but Oh knew he had the abilities and work ethic that would earn respect from others, even someone as demanding as Taew’s father.

“I don’t have a golden carriage for you. Last chance for you to leave me,” he murmured, turning his forehead into her temple. “Once I count to three, you’re forever stuck with my bicycle. One—“

Before he could finish, Taew pulled him down to hush his words with a kiss.

To be honest, I feel I have not done Mario's or Kim's story justice (there will more of Kim's later though). But like I've mentioned, this is first and FOREMOST a Yadech story, so I've only included significant scenes from the other two's love lives, just to let you guys get the feel of where their stories are headed if they were to be written out in length. Also, Mario's and Kim's were supposed to take place AFTER Yadech was completed so as not to take the focus off of NY, but since I'm not writing entire fics for them anymore, I've put their own love stories into context with Yadech's and minus a LOT of the planned drama lol.

Teasers for Chapter 23:
"Khun Yaya is panicking because Max is lost."
"Besides, by itself, the sun cannot give us a rainbow."
"...Your mom's name is Mina. What is your sister's name?"
"You must have liked me for a long time too."

jjinxx

jjinxx

Chapter 23 Lovers’ Rain

Mark had spent the better part of two days convincing Mint and Auntie Sri to move into his condo. He had been especially exasperated when Mint pointed out that if they were going to live together, she had to share the bills, which he had never planned on burdening her with, but he hurried to agree so she wouldn’t change her mind.

While she was in her bedroom arranging their belongings and making plans, Auntie Sri initiated a serious talk with Mark. “Mark, I’m grateful that you care so much for us, but I can’t help feeling it would be inappropriate if we just moved into your home. What would your parents think?”

Mark could tell it was a genuine concern that might possibly stick in her mind and delay her a smooth recovery. “Auntie Sri, can you keep a secret?”
He dug into his duffel bag and produced a blue velvet box that held all his hopes, and when he opened it, Auntie Sri gasped and quickly reached her hand to close the lid. She glanced at the door where Mint was contained.

“Mark, is that what I think it is?” Her eyes were already glistening with tears and when Mark nodded, she pressed her lips together as to hold in the sobs of happiness.

“I showed it to my parents first, so you don’t have to worry about them. They, well, they’re quite relieved to see me with Mint. They can’t wait to meet her.” A smile played on his lips, heart stammering at his parents’ immediate approval. “I love Mint and I love you too. There’s nothing more right than taking care of my loved ones.”

She nodded, accepting him as an official family member, as she had hoped ever since Mint had introduced them with the radiance of stars reflecting in both their eyes.

-------------
Yaya woke early that day, full of energy, so she could spend some time with Max. Even though he was going back to Bangkok with them, she wanted to take advantage of their last minutes out in the fresh air. The puppy was absolutely devoted to her, eagerly playing, running, rolling and digging around in the endless backyard. She went to the edge of the trees to find a perfect throwing stick and after having examined and weighed one that was good enough she turned back.

“Max?”

“Kai, what’s going on?”

“Khun Yaya is panicking because Max is lost. I told her to sit still and we would find him. She’s not very stable right now.” Kai pursed his lips at the sky blanketed with thick clouds. “You guys are leaving in thirty minutes.”

“She’s not leaving without him. I’ll help you look.”

“We’ll take the horses to cover more ground. Will you be alright?”

Nadech nodded. He pulled Waayoo out after Kai and stood so he looked into Waayoo’s eyes. “Alright big guy,” he stroked the horse’s smooth black face, “I don’t know you and you probably don’t like me, but there’s a lady who will be very disappointed if we fail. So work with me here, okay? I can’t let her down.”

Waayoo jerked his head, inviting his master to climb on.

Yaya had been searching for Nadech in her terror. Standing still as she heard him speak to Waayoo and declare his determination to find Max, she couldn’t have felt more fondness for her Pokerface flood her body. She put her hands together and prayed that he would be safe.

Nearly three hours later, Yaya looked up from her curled up position on the patio. Jumping to her feet, she watched Nadech and Waayoo gallop to the house, an unmistakable bundle in his arms.

“Nadech! You found Max!”

Max, very dirty but otherwise unhurt, was handed to her and she hugged him close. “Bad boy, Maxie! You do not run away alone.” She was trying to be more strict on him like Nadech was, but she kept her hold gentle. “I was so worried. Thank you.”

“Thank Kai too.”

Kai appeared, his kindly smile shining proud. “It was Nadech who spotted him first. His riding really improved.”

“Thank you both.”

Her grateful eyes made his heart twist, and he gave Waayoo a nose rub with the flat of his palm. He and Waayoo finally came to a level of trust that would only continue to strengthen.

-------------
“I’m so sorry. It’s all my fault that we couldn’t leave on time.”

The grey rolling clouds had finally loosened themselves of the weight of rain, showering the valley in bright crystal mist first that turned into sight-blurring downpour, so they judged it unsafe to travel.

Yaya sat with her legs curled under her, leaning down to pet a clean Max, who was sleeping next to the sofa.

“No big deal. We’ll leave tomorrow. Thanks by the way, for the cream.”

She had found a bottle of ointment for his bruises and set it outside his room that morning. Smiling at his relaxed figure on the armchair, Yaya was enveloped with peace. He hadn’t let her down, not once since they had gotten to know each other.

She went out to take a call. “Margie?”

“Yaya! Did they find the dog?”

“Yes, Max is fine.”

“Great! But, ugh, way to mess up my surprise birthday party.”

With a tremor of shock, she realized today was her birthday. Margie heard her gasp. “I cannot wait to see this puppy that could make you forget your own birthday. Do you know how many people are at your parents’ house right now, and they’ll all have to go back because the birthday girl is missing?”

“I’m sorry Margie.” She laughed. “Thank you though, for planning everything. Why don’t you serve the cake and everything to the guests. Don’t let them starve on my account.”

“I suppose. Happy birthday, dear friend.”

“Thanks. I love you. Hey! How about once we get back, you and Jack and the team come to Nadech’s house and I can make it up to you?” She grew excited at the idea of planning her own birthday party and baking her own cake.

“Deal! Wait.”

Yaya heard Margie announce something then a room full of people shouted, “Happy Birthday Yaya!” making her laugh and utter thanks in return.

Quiet music was playing when she returned to the living room. Nadech’s body was still, so she tiptoed over. His eyes were closed, dark lashes brushing his cheeks. Her eyes traveled down his nose, then to those lips that she thought she could resist.

“There’s a fee for looking so long, you know.” His eyes opened.

Startled at being caught, she backed up into the side of the sofa, sitting on the arm.

Nadech smirked playfully. “Pay up, or I’ll have to do something about it.” The humor retreated from his eyes. “Keep biting your lip and I’ll do something about that too.” The way he said it only succeeded in making her bite harder, so he rose out of his seat to close in on her.

His eyes aimed for her lips, which he was also starting to consider as HIS lips, because they felt and tasted so perfect that they could only have been made for him. How else could he have gone twenty five years without ever being tempted by anyone else? And they were a flushed pink that really messed up his breathing. He had never liked pink before now. This was yet another crazy thought resulting from her invasion into his mind.

He affected her like no one else. They had already kissed, so why was she acting like a bashful adolescent? Before he could jumble her thoughts any more incoherent, Yaya spilled her words out. “Did you know it always rains on my birthday?”

That stopped him. “Today’s your birthday?” She nodded. So that was what Yuke meant by ‘early present.’

“I, uh, my friend planned a party for me back at my parents’ home, but since we couldn’t get back today, I told her I’d redo it tomorrow.” Her breathing eased as he finally straightened up. “Would it be okay if I had people over tomorrow?”

“Of course. You don’t need my permission.”

“Thank you. And…you’re invited.”

That succeeded in raising a corner of his mouth. “It would be my pleasure.” Taking another wistful glance at her, he cleared his face. “Since we’re here, is there anything you want to do to celebrate?”

“I would have liked to go to the pier, but we’ll probably drown before we get there. This rain is so inconvenient.” She pouted. “Plus it’s grey and ugly. I hate it.”

He disagreed. “Rain is good for the earth. If we didn’t have rain, everything would be dead.”

Tsk. Leave it up to Nadech to point out the logic. But it was his next comment that struck her most.

“By itself, the sun cannot give us a rainbow. Besides, the heavens is blessing you with life when it rains on your birthday. Rain is every bit as necessary as sun, and therefore, just as beautiful.”

“So there is actually something beautiful and distracting that is useful to us.” She grinned wider, seeing him crack a smile.

The track in the CD ended and a new song began.
Click for: Love

Nadech took one step back from her so they were at a comfortable distance and he held out his open hand. “May I have the honor of dancing with the birthday girl?”

Her hands slid into his without hesitation, every patch of skin touching her sent spasms into the vicinity of his heart. Max raised his sleepy head and let it sway to the music while he rested in his corner.

Smooth piano melody was joined by a tinkle xylophone-like tune, peaceful and soothing.

“I think I’ve heard this song before.” Yaya lifted her face and the tip of her nose grazed his cheek, tingling his body from head to toe. Their gentle footwork slowed and then came to a stop. She was glad for his hand that supported her at the small of her back because his eyes were turning her to jelly. She chuckled, liking the way they were pressed ever so slightly together, like pb&j.

Nadech didn’t think he would ever tire of the soft crinkle of her eyes whenever she laughed. In those earthy orbs shined stars that could lead him out of the darkest nights. “What?”

Shy about her romantic thoughts, she came up with an explanation. “Remember our first dance? It was at the engagement.”

“You kept stepping on my toes. You were thinking about someone else,” his tone was light and teasing.

“No I wasn’t,” she denied.

“Yes you were.”

“No I wasn’t.”

“Yes you were.”

“Well I’m not right now.”

“Then who are you thinking about right now?”

“Mm…Max!” They looked over in the corner where Max was snoozing, having lost interest in their less than active dancing.

He raised his brow. “Lucky for Max.”

She chided herself for bailing out on this chance to confess that he was who she always thought about. “Are you hungry?”

A table and two chairs were set up near the balcony where they watched Yaya’s birthday rain rinse the valley. They were eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and apple slices, much to the cook’s amusement.

“Nadech, why doesn’t any of your family live here anymore?” Now that she was exposed to the beauty of the estate, she was wishing time would slow so they wouldn’t have to go back to the city, greedy for yet another extra day.

“This estate was specifically handed down to father, not my uncle. Ever since grandfather’s business expanded, everyone has just become used to the city. I assume he finds it more convenient working in the city.”

“We’re going to come here often though, right?”

That question suggested she would be in his life in the future for a very long time, in order for them to return often. He approved of that thought immensely. “If you’d like.”

“Promise? No matter how busy you get, you won’t use work as an excuse?”

“I promise.”

They filled their bellies then lounged in a comfortable silence. But there was something that Yaya knew she had to address. It was too important to just ignore.

“I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For being pushy that night. It’s not really my business so I shouldn’t have asked about your…your mom.”

'She's going to be your wife. She needs to know what happened.'

“You’re going to be part of the family.” Her left hand tightened around her right. She looked back at him expectantly and Nadech knew Oh was right. “Guess neither of us can escape that reality, huh princess?” He sighed. “It’s very much your business. You can ask. Ask what you want to know.”

“Why did your parents get a divorce?” She figured there was no point in delaying the most curious question, the question that was the foundation of everything.

So Nadech told her. He told her about coming home from school and seeing them sit at opposite ends of a room; about waking up to see his mom but not his dad; about going on a trip with his dad but not his mom; about escaping to Da’s room when things got too hostile; about closing the door whenever they got into an argument and pretending the TV was on instead of the very real voices that did not express love the way parents should.

It was simple to him. “...They fell out of love.”

And his dad had not tried to make things right. He spent most hours of his days working. He didn’t talk to his wife, however much she pleaded. He didn’t attend to his children. Nadech had only one memory of his father holding Da, although he was always ordering the help to make sure that his daughter had everything she needed. It was all a sorry substitution for care and attention, in Nadech’s eyes.

“And you’ve never heard from her? Not even once?”

“Never. It’s as if the name Mina Sorinam was wiped off the history of Earth.”

She took a shuddering breath at such an ominous thought. “Your mom's name is Mina. What’s your sister’s name?”

A smile sorrowed his face rather than lit it up. “Chalida. Da. It’s pretty pathetic huh? Even if I saw them, I probably wouldn’t know it. At least not with Da. I could never forget my mom though.” His brow drew together. “She has no other family. The house really is the only place they could contact us. They’ve never been here either. Don’t ask why, it’s another thing about my dad I don’t understand.”

Yaya sighed. Uncle Norachai had never seemed like the type of person who could abandon his loved ones. How could someone willing to take in two orphans just neglect his wife and blood daughter? And she always saw him taking care to give Nadech whatever he wanted, not that his son asked for much. “We won’t give up.”

That short word ‘we’ thrilled him. Yes, he had her now. One day, he would introduce the women he loved to each other. One day, they might turn up at the door and run into his arms. His mom would have aged beautifully, Da would be a fine young woman, and he would love them to death, and make up for everything they had gone without. And Yaya would be with him.

“Nadech?”

“Hm?”

“You said…you like me. When did you start liking me?” She glanced at him. “I mean, I wasn’t always friendly…” She winced. Was it too soon to be digging into his emotions? Oh screw it. They had gotten engaged without being in a relationship first. Now that he was opening the road for one, Yaya decided honesty was the best way to ‘start’ their relationship. She really wanted to know what his impression of her was and when his feelings for her had sprouted. With that confirmation, she lifted her chin firmly.

Hearing her question, every image of Yaya since the moment they met flickered through his mind and he discovered that he had not forgotten a single moment with her presence. “I don’t know.” She waited patiently as he burrowed through his memories. “I suppose I liked you ever since my birthday party.”

“But that was,” her voice grew soft, “when we met.”

Nadech swallowed hard, the dawning of this realization stilling his soul. He fixed his gaze at the relentless curtains of rain pouring down outside. “Maybe I didn’t like like you as…” As what? A woman? A girlfriend? A fiancée?
“As a lover…”

Her lips parted the slightest at that word.

“…but for sure I liked you as a person. You weren’t just one of the masses who worried about what they wore or who they ate with or whether they would ever get in the news. You were just you, and I appreciated that. Ironically, you were the one person trying to flee my party.” He revealed his toothy grin as this revelation loosened his reservations about her. Just as when he had confessed to her that he liked her, Nadech felt every knot in his muscles, every cloud in his brain and the confusion in his heart connected with her existence evaporate.

“Honestly, I’m not sure when I started liking you.” He placed his elbow on the cleared table, chin resting on his hand as he reflected over this mystery. “The feeling came out of nowhere. All I’m sure of now is that I like you a lot. As a lover." Turning to her, he found her averting her gaze, a pleased smile playing on her lips. Curious now, he eyed her inquisitively. “What about you? You must have liked me for a long time too.”

Eyes growing round at his suggestion, she mumbled, “Aren’t you being a bit presumptuous?”

Brazenly, he went on, “It couldn’t have been as far back as my birthday, since you seemed so upset with me.” He recalled that morning when she had suddenly asked to start over as friends. Was it around that time? “But it’s got to have been before Uncle Palada’s party.”

“What do you mean?”

He arched a brow. “You kissed me that night.”

Jaw dropping, she whirled on him so fast her neck might have broken. “YOU kissed ME.”

“But you kissed me back,” was his innocent reply.

“I…I was just, I mean YOU, you’re the one who k-kissed…first…”

Her stammers skipped his heart dangerously. “So if any man initiates a kiss with you, you’ll just kiss him back?”

“Of course not!” she exclaimed in offense.

“So then you kissed me back because you like me.” It was fun teasing her and he was once again a prey of that un-erasable smile.

“Yes…” Yaya cringed. “When did you start talking so much?”

He just gave her a smug face. “So what is the answer, exactly?”

She inhaled slowly. “Well…I guess that time you visited me at my house was when I realized you’re not a really bad guy.” That day he had swept up the broken pieces of her heart, when neither had predicted he would also be mending those pieces.

“Just kind of bad?”

She glared at him before continuing, planting her chin on her arms that were folded on the table top. “What’s the word you used? Tolerable. And living with you, I realized you’re actually decent to be around.” She grinned. Oh had been right after all. Once she made the effort to be Nadech’s friend, bit by bit, he opened up. “And you take really good care of people too. It must have been the ice cream incident when I started to like you.” As a lover, she silently added.

He lowered his arms and head to the table too so that they stared right into each other’s eyes.

click for: Two People, One Heart
She didn’t think that admitting feelings would be easier for him than for her, but he was such a blunt person, who didn’t see the sense of hiding something once he became aware of it that he just came right out and spoke what he felt for her. If she hadn’t been stubborn, if she had known they could work things out so well, she would have forced him to go on a date long ago.

Her pointer and middle finger acted as legs that tiptoed across the small round table to tap on his hand.

“Pick: thumb war, or arm wrestling.”

This request drew out a half-smile from him. “Are you confident of yourself?”

“The real question is, can you handle my strength?”

“Arm wrestling then. Best two out of three. Three rounds.” They got their arms into position. “And loser of each round owes winner a favor.”

“What?” Yaya looked up.

“Go!”

Yaya was distracted from this last minute rule as she fought to push his hand down.

Nadech had watched Oh and Boy play this throughout childhood and never saw a point to the game. But as Yaya exerted all energy to bring down his arm, he found one; he got to hold her hand for as long as she wouldn’t give up.

“I can’t believe I lost!” She wailed. “You hardly eat, how in the world are you stronger than me? I knew I should have gone to the gym with Margie more.”

“Again?” he wiggled his fingers.

“You’re on!”

By the time she lost the second round, Yaya’s arm was sore.

“You owe me two favors,” he declared.

“I can count,” she said resentfully before getting back to the table. “I’m not giving up though.”

As they went at it once again, Yaya’s contorted face kept moving closer and closer to their hands since she was concentrating so hard, until her lips brushed the side of his hand. At that soft touch, Nadech forgot to hold his arm steady and she was able to swing hers down on top of his.

“Victory!” she clapped excitedly. Suddenly aware of a secret technique, she eagerly slapped the table. “Let’s go again!”

Their arms connected like a 'W' and this time, while Nadech gazed at her, thinking he had a minute or two to simply watch her, she raised out of her seat and pecked the tip of his nose. It worked and she won.

“Hooray! I finally won! You owe me ONE favor!” She announced proudly.

Nadech didn’t argue, since he was quite pleased that she had cheated, simply smiling as she celebrated herself. “Yaya.”

“Yes?”

“Happy Birthday.”

It sure was.

credit music to duaxiong1 and bankmodify at youtube!

jjinxx

jjinxx

Chapter 24 Like Something Good

Just like Kai, everyone could tell things were different, even if Nadech and Yaya hadn’t come through the door holding hands. Yaya’s parents were there too.

“I think we can begin wedding plans now,” Khun Champa said.

Nadech’s father smiled in agreement. He would wait until Nadech came to him first, but he was assured now that it wouldn’t be too long.

Kim greeted Yaya with a hug.

“Guys, this is Max!” Everyone exclaimed at the adorable dog, doing his tricks to capture their hearts.
“There’s the little trouble maker,” Oh said, though he was thoroughly amused when Max began chasing his tail. “Can’t believe you actually got her a dog, you neat freak.”

Nadech elbowed him.

“Kim, you have to help me. Let’s do some shopping for the party…”

As Nadech reached his room, he realized that although he cared little for birthdays, Yaya might be disappointed he had not given her a gift. Pondering, his hand brushed against a little black box set on his dresser.

He heard someone walking up the steps, so he went out to the hall. “Oh?”

“Yeah?”

“You okay?”

“Yes. Why?” Oh cocked his head, tucking his phone into his pocket.

Nadech frowned. “It’s just…you looked preoccupied. Nothing happened while I was gone?”

“No…”

Nadech watched him sigh and stare at the ground in deep thinking. “Really?”

“I’ll deal with it. Don’t worry, it’s my job.”

Assuming it was about work and the new resort, Nadech conceded with a, “Alright.”

-------------
“Now that the photography is done, we’ll just finish a few things up and the event will be ready in less than a month, right on time!” Jack declared to Oh and Margie, flourishing his arm so that the sequins on his shirt sparkled. "And I'm so glad we have so many lovely ladies in our organization. They can all help out with the auction!"

Wrinkling her nose at Jack's idea, Margie ordered, “Oi! Porshe, play a good song, you hear?”

One of the youngest members of their organization, Porshe had been designated as the DJ for Yaya’s party.

Margie pulled Yaya to the side. “Where’s your hubby? What did he get you for your birthday?”

“He…didn’t know until yesterday.”

“Aow, why didn’t you tell him?” She shook her head. “But just look at you. If you hadn’t told me that, I’d have thought he bought you the best present ever, the way your face is glowing.” Margie could have a sharp tongue but she was just as sharp-eyed, especially with her friend smiling from ear to ear. “I’m so glad things turned out well for you two.”

“Thanks girl.” A round of hugs was put in order. “Okay, I’m going back to the kitchen. The cupcakes should be cool enough to frost.”

“You baked three cakes already! Are you trying to fatten us up?”

Yaya waved to her, scampering to the kitchen where she wouldn’t allow anyone to help her with dessert and was left alone.

She mixed up a chocolate frosting for the cupcakes, humming to the song muffled by the door, but which she recognized as Michael Buble’s ‘Everything.’ Her head bobbed to the upbeat music and her shoulders wiggled, while using the wooden spoon as a microphone.

“…La, la, la, la, la, la…”

Nadech watched her twirl around as the song ended, catch sight of him and nearly fall over from her abrupt stop.

Normally, she wouldn’t be the slightest bit embarrassed singing out loud but it was Nadech standing there, eyes widened at her finale. She scrunched up her face sheepishly.

A new song started playing loudly and they heard Margie’s dissatisfied voice.

“Having fun?” Nadech asked, bemused by her performance. He slid a fingertip across the bowl to collect some chocolate frosting and studied it.

Yaya jerked her head back. “You aren’t thinking of smearing that on my face, are you?”

“Why would anyone do that?” His question was genuine so she reminded herself he never would have considered such a thing as funny.

“Of course you wouldn’t do it. You don’t joke often.”

He wiped the frosting off on a towel. “I just thought I’d taste test the desserts first. Just in case.”

“I wouldn’t play a trick on my guests.”

“Yeah but we all know you’re inexperienced with cooking.”

Not objecting, she watched him nibble on a cupcake and then he frowned.
“It’s salty.”

Panicking that she must have mistaken the salt for sugar, Yaya instantly grabbed his hand to bring the cupcake to her mouth. Chewing, she commented, “No, it’s sweet.”

Suddenly aware of each other’s proximity and that she was grasping his hand, they both found each other’s eyes and the emotions explored at the estate pumped harder through each of their cores.

She tried to keep her head straight instead of losing herself in his endless gaze. “Haha, okay, so you can joke…”

In their speechless moment, the current song drifted inside the kitchen.

“This song” she half-laughed, “Porshe knows Margie hates country music.”

Are you gonna kiss me or not
Are we gonna do this or what
I think you know I like you a lot
But you’re ‘bout to miss your shot
Are you gonna kiss me or not…

The song faded, replaced by Potato's song, 'Share.'

She was aware that he had not taken his eyes off of her. “Sounds like Margie got him to turn it down.”

But Nadech was not going to let her shift his target. Now that she had crumbled his defenses against love, he found it hard to resist her. Maybe it was masochism after all, but Yaya dazed his mind wonderfully. He would willingly be that bug drawn to the illuminating lamp light, every touch from her zapping him with blissful warmth. He freed himself of the cupcake and replaced it with her hand, folded snuggly into his strong fingers, and tilted his head down to steal a kiss. It made all her efforts to remain focused on the cakes turn vain as she couldn’t help focusing every fiber of her being into kissing him back. It was one of his unexplainable powers over her; he made every cell of her body and mind forget her world except for him.

This, no, she was his own exclusive dessert and, like a child with a sweet tooth, he indulged his craving without shame. He backed her into the corner, hands running down to her legs before sweeping her onto the countertop. Just three seconds for her to flash her eyes open in surprise before his sultry smile melted against her lips again. His fingertips tickled their way from her knees to the hem of her dress, but like a gentleman, he advanced no further. Instead, one hand trailed up to her waist, making her arch as his touch scorched her through the material of her clothing. Their breathing grew ragged, as lips parted and silkily sucked in harmony.

Her scented hair fell forward, framing a part of his face and letting loose his senses, inviting him to slide his nose past her ear and press a moist kiss into her neck.

Loud rock music jammed on, startling Yaya. She scanned the kitchen but no one else was present except them. Nadech appeared oblivious to whatever was happening outside, and he was pulling her attention back to him as his teeth scraped gently on her jaw before returning to caress her lips with his, making her embrace him closer.

“Porshe!”

“Okay, okay! I’ll play a different song! Sheesh, P’Margie…”

This time she really warned herself to stop before someone came in. She was thankful for the disturbance because otherwise surely she and Nadech would have carried on deliriously, which might result in her little party turning into big mortification.

“Nadech,” she breathed in a shallow pattern. He laid his forehead in the crook of her neck, sighing heavily.

He looked disgruntled as she pulled back. Swallowing hard at the mess she had made of his hair, Yaya reached up to try and smooth it all back into his neat style, only partially succeeding. Although the way it was all out of place reminded her of his return after finding Max. He looked all rugged like the wind had taken advantage to play in his impeccable locks.

Nadech watched her fix his hair, her fingertips tingling his scalp, her skin flushed from his touch. Her smile was unrestrained, trembling his already irregularly beating heart. If she hadn’t been so excited to bake for this party, he would have told everyone to go home so he could have her all to himself, never mind that this was her birthday. After all, she had appeared out of nowhere on his birthday, like his own gift from heaven.

Yaya slid off the counter. It was a clumsy move because he hadn’t stepped back at all, so their bodies grazed close and their arms automatically wrapped around one another, making his stomach lurch with yearning. As if reading his mind, she turned her face up to him and he dipped his head for one more lingering indulgence, nuzzling her cheek, before some new music reminded them of the party awaiting.

-------------
“Oo shud dance weeyaya.”

Nadech gave Margie a curious look, not understanding her at all. She finished chewing and swallowing her chocolate frosted vanilla and sprinkle cupcake. “You should dance with Yaya.”

With her encouraging nod, Nadech made his way to Yaya and simply pulled her out to the dance floor, just as a soft and soothing voice joined the melody.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Dancing,” he replied.

(Click for: Love)

…It’s like a weak heart becoming strong
It’s like someone is in love
It’s like a lost person meeting someone they know
It’s like I found something important that was once lost
It’s like a bad thing had turned into something very good
It’s like when I met you, that’s what my life has found…

She gasped. “This is the song that was playing when back at the valley. It has lyrics.”

Lyrics which spoke for his heart and spoke of their sudden existence in each other’s lives and the resulting love.

His eyes touched her body and she shivered. Even when their song ended, they continued to just slowly circle in one spot, not knowing that they were reassuring their friends and family that everything was finally in place.

Kim felt every emotion there was, but most of all, she felt grateful to be witnessing such affection take place for someone she loved. And because Nadech did love Yaya, Kim knew she could bring herself to love her too. She remembered visiting his room in the third wing yesterday after returning from Yaya’s parents’ house. His room was warm, the difference that Yaya couldn’t quite identify when she had been sick. The reality that for Yaya, Nadech would change himself crept acceptance into Kim’s heart what it already suspected. Although she was important to him, no one could melt him like his fiancée.

(Click for: Be Be Your Love)

. . .Everything is falling and I am included in that
Oh how I try to be just okay
Yeah but all I ever really wanted was a little piece of you
And everybody’s talking how I can’t can’t be your love
But I want want want to your love, want to be your love, for real. . .

Before Kim realized it, she was being led into a slow dance.

Boy held her firmly but gently. “Don’t talk, just dance.”

She didn’t want to dance, and it felt odd to be dancing with him after what had happened in Hua Hin.

The storm inside her caused by Nadech grew calm with a sad happiness, yet she was now more confused than ever. She already knew her plan to come between Yaya and Nadech was pointless, especially seeing how their relationship had progressed so unexpectedly well. But she didn't plan to ever stop loving him. And yet, there was that kiss, that kiss she’d shared with Boy in Hua Hin that set off all sorts of chaos in her. Out of the blue, Boy, whom she’d always appreciated as a friend, had swept her breathlessly into whirlwind of confusion, and this new storm was much more severe than the one she recently overcame.

Right at that moment though, she was silently thanking him for diverting her mind from the beautiful couple a few feet away. So she allowed him to hold her hand and guide her toward a less crowded area, just swaying and stepping together.

He didn’t talk, didn’t ask questions because he knew she needed space. All the same, Boy just couldn’t sit still and watch her drown in depression, however happy she pretended to be that the man she loved had found someone else.
When the song ended, he let Kim go, his hand lingering in the air as if to catch her presence for as long as possible. She offered a backward glance.

-------------
“Seems like it might rain.” Norachai inhaled the damp air drifting in through the window. "Looks like tough competition for you in next year's elections."

Thongchai did not respond to his brother’s observation, waiting until he turned back to him.

“Alright. Tell me what you found. Tell me now while they are all downstairs.”

“From her resume, we traced her background and the town she lived in up until recently. And with a DNA test, from her hospital records, I got the answer fast. Norachai, it’s her. It’s Mina’s daughter.”

Norachai nodded, as if the news was only what he expected. With one DNA test, he had achieved what Nadech had not been able to do; he found his son’s sister.

“So the heavens haven’t condemned me yet.” He sighed. “I should have never let her go. She had no other father but me.” His voice cracked at that moment. “She had no one.”

“Then let Mina be punished, but don’t blame yourself for her mistake. The girl is healthy and as far as I can see, she’s happy…”

They allowed a minute of silence to absorb the latest discovery before Norachai asked in a softest voice, “And Mina?”

“Mina is dead. I’ve confirmed it.”

“It’s all my fault.” He spoke with a casual voice, as if the truth was so agonizing there was no energy left to grieve or regret.

Thongchai’s voice was hard. “Stop making yourself the bad guy. You didn’t do anything wrong. It was…”

Oh no, why was she yet again caught in such a tight situation? Yaya had only intended to bring cake up to her future father and uncle-in-law, yet here she was, standing frozen outside the door of Nadech’s father’s office and the conversation that should have been forbidden to her ears was playing out quite clearly.

She wasn’t exactly sure what they had been saying just before she reached the office, but she had arrived just as Uncle Norachai uttered those desperate words, “It’s all my fault.”

And then, Uncle Thongchai revealed the unimaginable secret about Nadech’s mother.

An abrupt clang rang sharply from just outside the door that stood ajar. The two gentlemen exchanged quick glances and Thongchai strode to the door and opened it. There stood Yaya, mouth agape, her perplexed gaze swinging from the plate of crushed cake to the men inside and back.

“I…I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to…” She stooped to clean the mess, but Norachai motioned her inside.

“Leave that for the help.”

This time, Thongchai made sure to close the door tightly and turned to sweep Yaya’s guilty face sternly.

“Please, I’m sorry about just now. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop.”

“It’s ok,” Norachai assured her, but one look at his brother told Thongchai just how anxious he really was.

“For the sake of my nephew,” he said to Yaya gently, “Please don’t speak of what you’ve just heard.”

She nodded hesitantly.

“You have to realize how grave the situation is. How much did you hear exactly?”

Surely they couldn’t really be asking her to repeat what she had heard. “J-just that last part. The very last thing Uncle Thongchai said.”

Sighing, Norachai relaxed the tiniest bit, but it was not worth much. Yaya had not heard about the death of Mina, but what she had heard was even an even more treacherous secret.

“Yaya, I need you to swear to me that you will never tell Nadech.”

He wore so much pain under that earnest and weary face of a man who had once been happy. Yaya could do nothing but make sure she didn’t betray him, only just now realizing how much he did to protect his son. “I promise.”

-------------
“Well look at you,” Oh smirked, relaxing against the edge of a table with his arms crossed.

“What?” Nadech asked.

“You have lipstick on your face.”

His hand instantly went to his face.

“Psych! Ha, I so caught you. Man, you sure are a late bloomer.”

Boy cocked his head. “Eh Nadech, have you gained weight?”

Oh sniggered. “Thanks to Yaya, he’s finally getting the baby fat.”

Nadech might have told them off if not for the reappearance of the person who put him in such a good mood.

Yaya tried to hold her face steady and worked her facial muscles into a smile so that no one would suspect she had just been accidentally heard something unrepeatable.

“Hey, hey, birthday girl!” Mark appeared from behind a bouquet of flowers, which he presented to her. “Sooo…” he stretched out the word and glanced at Nadech. “Is it safe to assume the fiancé redeemed himself?”

“What did he tell you?”

“It wasn’t hard to guess something was off before you guys left for the estate. But seeing as you’re both back whole and healthy, everything seems fine.”

She smiled. “More than fine. It almost scares me.”

“That’s normal. Life is full of twists and turns right? But all that fear and all the fight that exhausted you is worth it once you reach the center of your maze and find that the person waiting for you is who you’ve dreamed of all along.”

She chuckled at his attempt to be philosophical, and didn’t miss the way those words brightened his face. “And you Mark? I can’t help noticing Margie’s gossip that you’ve been absent from the social scene for a while. Is there someone who’s finally tamed you?”

He chuckled. “Mint didn’t have to lift a finger. I walked into her hands willingly.”

“Wow, that sounds serious.”

“We might just tie the knot before you and Nadech.”

She gasped. “You’ve proposed?”

“Er, no.” He rubbed his neck bashfully. “I have a ring and everything, it’s just I’m waiting for the right time. I’ve finally convinced her to move in with me, so maybe I should slow down. But,” he could not hold back that grin. “My parents met her and they can’t wait to announce a wedding.”

She watched his chest swell with pride for this lucky woman. “Is Mint here with you?”

“Oh yeah! She was here yesterday at your surprise birthday party, but today she has to work. Well, she doesn’t have to,” Mark pursed his lips. “But as soon as she agreed to come live here, she searched for a job right away, so I figured she might as well work somewhere that can be trusted. She’s actually a part of Uncle Norachai’s company now. Thankfully she didn’t reject my suggestion.”

“Mint sounds like such a hard worker.”

“She is. It’s crazy how much energy she has. She’s the strongest person I know.”

“Even the strongest person has a weakness.” Her eyes sought out Nadech just to reassure herself he was unaware of anything that might disrupt the smile on his face. “You know Mark, that maze you were talking about, maybe you don’t have to walk it alone. Maybe the center is meant to be discovered by you and your significant other. Make her yours and hold each other’s hands through every twist and turn. That way the dead ends won’t seem too hopeless,” she ended with a light tone.

“See? This is why I’m glad Nadech has you.” Mark breathed in deeply, much encouraged by her words. “You’re right. I’m going to do it. Thanks a lot, Yaya. And for helping me, I’m going to tell you a secret. Mint’s first name is Davika.”

She quirked a brow. “And why is that a secret?”

“It's not really one. Just keep it from Nadech. He can get stubborn about formalities with other people he doesn’t know. But he’ll just have to deal because she is not OTHER PEOPLE. Plus there is no way Mint’s letting any one of her friends call her Davika since she loves her nickname that her Aunt always calls her.” He squinted one eye at Yaya. “You ARE going to be her friend right? Because I really want her to love Bangkok.”

“Of course Mark. I think I like her already, just from hearing about her.”

He snickered. “It’ll be funny that you know her name and Nadech doesn’t.”

“You guys have the weirdest jokes for each other.”

“Ha, one time I rigged Oh’s car so that whenever he turns on the engine, this dorky love song plays. How did it go? Daisy something or other.”

Nadech appeared at their side. “Are those flowers from you Mark?”

“Yeah. But they can’t compare to, what’s his name? Max?”

On cue, Max trotted over to the group and in his jaws was a slipper.

“That’s one of mine,” Nadech noted.

Max dropped the slipper and the three saw that there was a hole in it. He panted proudly at his successful delivery.

“Aw, what a sweetheart you are Max! Good boy!” Yaya cooed.

‘Nice,’ Mark mouthed to Nadech’s flat stare.

“Your Khun Mint isn’t here?”

Mark caught Yaya’s eye. “She’s working. Gawd, two workaholics in my life.”

They turned their attention to the girls who appeared, Margie, Kim and Taew, who Oh introduced earlier to everyone as his girlfriend.

music credit to JannieJEMC, KristineLapenayoutube. Credit THIP for translation to "Love".
Just wanted to point some things out.
1. You all know Nadech's mom is dead. He does not (neither does Yaya).
2. Yaya knows something you do not.
3. The title of this chapter is 'LIKE Something Good' because there is still a looming cloud.
4. Pu Anchali's song "Love" is a big inspiration for SDLF, especially that line "Like a bad thing had turned into something very good."

jjinxx

SIDE STORY 4 Pink Theory (Hua Hin)

Boy’s face lit up brighter than the full day sun at the sight of Kim approaching him, her bare feet treading on the golden sand and her light pink dress swishing in the playful wind. “Hey! You’re here.”

“Yeah, we got stuck for a while in traffic, but it was totally worth it.” Kim raised her face to embrace the salt air. “This place is amazing! We won’t be able to enjoy it just yet though.”

“Why not?”

“I’m doing a bit of shopping with my friends first. I want to get some souvenirs for the family.”

“Oh…So I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“P’Boy, wanna come with me? I could really use your opinion on something I want to buy. Please.” She placed her hands together.

He chuckled. “Sure. What are you looking for anyways?”

“A camera. It’ll be a gift for someone.”

The way her smile faltered a little, he knew the person in mind had to be her unknowing heartbreaker.

---------
Next evening at the beach. A bonfire was warming up the cool air as groups of men and women huddled on the sand in festive chatter, the sea’s rumbling tides lulling everyone into leisure.

“Hey Kim,” one of her friends, Baifern, passed her a can.

She hesitated.

“Go ahead, you should take this opportunity to relax. You’re the hardest worker I’ve ever seen,” Baifern insisted. “Come join us by the fire and we’ll sing childhood camp songs.”

Kim chuckled and waved to her. She thought she did deserve to take a break, but it was more from the heartache than schoolwork. Snapping the beer can open, she started strolling down the beach, pulling her cardigan close. In no time the alcohol bubbled in her head and she stumbled a bit.

“Kim!”

Someone dragged her away from the surprisingly close shoreline. She blinked hard to get her head into focus. “Oh, P’Boy. How’s it going?”

Boy never thought he’d be glad to see she was drunk, but it was due to his relief that she hadn’t been attempting a much worse goal to solve her misery. His heart had nearly hammered its way out of his chest when he saw her sway towards the water so carelessly. “Are you okay? Here, I’ll take you back to the hotel.”

“No,” she shook her head, but stopped as it hurt her skull. “I like it here. It’s pretty and…there isn’t anyone to…It’s just me. There’s no house for him to save, no fiancée, no mom, no sister, no P’Oh…”

“Mario? What about him?” Boy asked curiously. “Whose mom?”

“He says I have to let him go…”

“Oh?”

She nodded sullenly, a frown puckering her brow. “I have to let him go.”

“Where’s Oh going?”

“Nowhere. I have to let the other one go…he says I have to.” Kim rubbed her eyes. “I love him. But he loves his mom and has to find them. P’Nadech has to get engaged…”

“Kim, you’re not making any sense. Come here.” He helped support her.

“I think so too,” she carried on, obliviously. “It doesn’t make any sense. Why does P’Nadech have to get engaged just to keep the house? Oh, right,” she hiccupped a small giggle. “His house…his mom will come back to his house. He can’t let it go. So I have to let him go…P’Boy.”

“What?”

She sniffled. “I want some of those pills now. Whatever you called them, the heartbreak pills.”

He sighed, not even knowing whether to tell her they didn’t exist as she might break down in her intoxicated state. “We’ll go get them. I’ve already prescribed them, come on.”

“Thanks, P’Boy.”

A twig cracked. Boy glanced over his shoulder, sensing movement. But it was just a man walking away, minding his own business. No one else was near them as far as he could tell. Everyone’s shadows were near the bonfire in the distance.

“P’Nadech…” Kim sighed and tripped, bringing both of them down. Boy shielded her as best as he could.

Looking into her clear eyes, he asked, “Are you sober now?”

She smiled, scanning his face. “I wish I wasn’t. Where’s that can?”

“Forget it. I threw it out in the sea.” He received a sharp slap on the arm. “Ow!”

“How could you litter?” she scolded. “Some poor sea animal might get caught in it somehow and get hurt.”

Would it be too cruel to admit he was willing to risk the lives of sea creatures for the person in front of him?

Kim massaged her head. “I shouldn’t have drunk.”

“I think so too.”

She sighed. She narrowed her eyes and peered closely at his lips that were only a few inches away. Whether it was the alcohol talking or some uninhibited side of her resulting from the truth that Nadech could never be hers, Boy was surprised when she said, “I always wanted my first kiss to be with P’Nadech. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen now though.” The moonlight reflected in her large brown eyes. “P’Boy, do you want to be my first kiss?”

His fist tightened, unaware of the sand grains stuck to his skin. How could he resist such a request from the girl he had loved since that first day of meeting her? And yet, he knew he might regret responding with a yes, because being honest could hurt him as well as her. Was he willing to risk his heart and their friendship by taking this chance? What if she hated him forever?

Boy reasoned that she was not completely sober, surely she wasn’t really asking for him to kiss her. But there was a weakness in her hands that held his arms for support and a gloom clouding her once lively eyes that he could not stand to watch any longer.

You had to be willing to risk a heart in order to heal a heart. So Boy used the years of longing he’d held back to kiss her hard, so that maybe she might realize this was not a simple act of intimacy, but a confession of the love he harbored for her within him.

Kim had always imagined her first kiss. It would be with Nadech. It would be sweet and brief because she would shy and he would be reserved. This real kiss however was not anything like what she had planned. This kiss was deep and strong; its aggressiveness didn’t scare her because the arms that held her were gentle and warm. This kiss kindled a new passion in her, leaving her breathless and exhilarated.

---------
Kim lounged in the comfy bean bag in her room, changed into loose sweats after they had returned from Yaya's parents' house.

She heard some male voices outside and, curious, got up to see who had visited. Her heart leaped seeing Boy and P'Oh chatting by the fence. Surely Boy wouldn't tell P'Oh what had happened.

She had avoided him ever since returning from Hua Hin and didn't even think to ask him not to mention their interaction to anyone. It would be mortifying for her brother to find out she had kissed his friend, had in fact, asked him to out of her alcohol induced impulsive brain.

"P'Oh!"

They guys turned to see Kim hurrying towards them.

"Kim, lazyhead, you didn't even come down to greet Boy."

"Sorry," she mumbled breathlessly. "Um, can I talk to P'Boy for a bit?"

"Sure. he was just going to tell me something about his trip to Hua Hin. Hey, you two were with the same group right?" Oh asked.

"Uh, wait! It's really important that I talk to P'Boy. It's...it's about school and it's urgent. Please!"

"Well just ask him now--"

"Alone, please!" She clasped her hands. "It'll be easier without you jumping in to ask about every sentence since, you know, we're going to be real scientific."

"Ok..." Oh consented with his hands up. "Don't let me get in the way of my nerdy sister. Boy I'll see you inside." He gave Kim a pat on the head and went for the house.

Once he was out of earshot, Kim rounded on Boy. "What were you going to tell him?" she demanded.

He stood firmly and didn't crack under her fierce gaze. "I have to tell him about what happened with us."

"NO, you don't," she hissed. "What will he think?!"

"He's my friend!" Boy reasoned. "I don't want him to think I went behind is back to date his little sister."

"Hey," Kim gave his arm a soft push, the urgency of denial making her touch him, "We're not dating."

"Well I want us to." He swallowed hard as she blinked in surprise. "Kim, I've liked you for a really long time now. After what happened, I can't just pretend to forget it." And he couldn't forgive himself if he didn't at least try to take the first step.

Stammering, Kim said, "B-but...I can't do this." It was too sudden and unable to find words to explain so, she once again pushed his shoulder.

"Why do you keep pushing me?" he asked in amusement, although the current situation could determine the success of his love.

She frowned poutingly. "Because you're...giving me a headache. Why are you saying this stuff now? Don't you know that I'm still trying to get over a broken heart? Please, just don't tell P'Oh about what happened."

"I want you to give me a chance to heal your heart."

She gasped inaudibly. She was waiting for him to break out in his dorky grin and say it was a joke, but knew that wasn't going to happen. He was serious this time.

"Tell me," he insisted, "did you feel anything when we kissed?"

"P'Boy..." she groaned and paced back and forth in front of him.

"Honestly," he said sternly.

"I...I don't know...I was drunk."

"You had half a can. And I know you weren't too drunk to remember it. I was close enough to see." His eyes softened. "Won't you just give me a chance?"

Torn between wanting to love Nadech forever, however painful it might be, and the memories of how Boy's kiss had kindled burning life in her, Kim groaned while clutching her head. Then she turned to Boy and started hitting his chest.

"Augh! I didn't know you got so violent when angry." He dodged and twisted around her.

She followed grumpily. "Well now that you know, do you still want to heal my violent heart?"

He caught her hands and drew her close. "Yes. I shall take the burden of protecting society from your raging temper." He pecked her cheek.

Her jaw dropped at his impudence. "P'Boy!"

He chuckled. "Forgive me. You're very cute when angry. So how bout it? I assure you I can be very persistent even if you want to beat me half to death."

Scowling, Kim asked, "Are you really sure? What if you report me for dating violence?"

"Are we now in a relationship where I can report you for dating violence?" He quirked a brow, that expectant smile stretching his lips.

Feeling herself blush, Kim pulled away and stomped to the house. Out of nowhere Mario blocked her path.

"P'Oh!" she exclaimed in surprise.

Oh eyed her closely, then looked towards Boy suspiciously. "What's going on here?"

"N-nothing. We're done, so you two can get back to talking."

"Hold on." Boy was now with them. "From what I saw, it didn't look like you were talking about school."

"You're right, we weren't," Boy said.

Kim glared at him fiercely. "Then what were we talking about?"

"Sorry Kim, but I can't keep this from Oh."

"What is it?" Oh asked, now concerned.

"Oh, in Hua Hin..." Boy took a deep breath.

Her body stiffened, awaiting the rage from her brother after finding out what she and Boy had done.

"...Kim got drunk on the beach!"

"You WHAT?!" Oh yelled, twisting his neck to look at her bugg-eyed.

Stunned that Boy hadn't revealed what he had planned to, it took her a few seconds to react; she just looked back at Boy's innocent smile.

"What do you have to say for yourself miss?" Oh crossed his arms.

Then Kim rolled her eyes. "P'Boy was exaggerating. I only had half a can of beer."

"HALF!? I've never even seen you take a sip of alcohol before! I cannot believe you would so irresponsibly leave the house and go wild with your friends. I am very disappointed. You are not going on another school trip ever again!" Oh frowned and looked at Boy. "Unless Boy's there to supervise you."

"What?!" Kim shot Boy's smirk a dark loook. "Brother, I am an adult!"

"Well it's a universal rule that little sisters have to do what big brothers say. Right Boy?"

Boy thought it over. "Sounds right," he nodded.

"Argh!" She marched back inside.

"Kim, I'll drive you to school next week!" Boy called to her cheerfully.

"Good idea Boy," she heard Oh say.

Kim ignored them grumpily, but by the time she reached her room, she wore a mirror image of Boy's dorky grin.

Then she sighed, and a familiar nostalgia shot through her as she stared at the picture she kept by her bedside, that contained an image of Nadech and her. Except this time, the picture in her head was of her and Boy. The world had never seemed so crazy to her before.

orihime303

sarNie Hatchling
Awww, Kim's part was sooo cute! I can't believe Yaya and Nedech would get crazy when kissing!!!:DDD :r-scene-pop-corn: