Should we change the requirements for the Hmong beauty pageant?

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
i don't think requirements should be changed. i think judges should be changed. judges should be those who are respectable to the Hmong Industry and from different areas.

moonstar

sarNie Adult
I agreed. The judges should be chosen wisely and from variety background such as hometown, clans, last name, different age group etc.

superwoman

sarNie Egg
Most definitely I have to agree with the aboves. One reason why I believe the hmong pageant is unfair and lame. I would like to see new talents: dancing and singing are not talent if theycan’t really dance or sing. I have seen many that perform dances or sing as their talent, when most definitely they can’t. I base my opinion on talent most just because I feel that some girls just do whatever to please their audiences and the judge. I want to see real talent. Don’t get me wrong, there are some girls that does have talent and does show perform it as their talent. Just not too many. Oh I judge from their voices as well. I don’t know about you guys but I feel that most girls up there are pretty fake when speaking. It gets me sick to the stomach. And again don’t get me wrong, there are some girls that does speak fluent Hmong naturally and they were born here in the States. I haven’t seen all the Hmong pageant but the ones I see are pretty bogus especially when the winner is not someone who should have won.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
i think pageant shouldnt be judged by the way they talk. becuz everyone of those girls who competes are all fake when they speak in hmong. u kno theyre all fake. that soft speaking voice and use of hmong words is not how they speak like at all! whenever i think of pageant girls, i think fakeness! and greedy girls who are in it for the money.

bebe

sarNie Hatchling
this is just what i think
1. change the name of the pageant if you allow peps from laos and thailand to be part of it cuz it's not fair for the girls who are from that town/area
2. judges need to know what they are looking for and be fair, no favoritism and judges should be non bias
3. if its a hmong padgent don't wear lao/thai clothes only if they are wearing it for the talent portion
4. have questions that test the knowledge of the person and make them think not something they can fake and practice from home

mystik_woman

sarNie Egg
If so, what should be change to help improve the competition?

Thanks for the question and definitely yes! Our Hmong Beauty Pageant Competition really needs an improvement. To change this we need a good organization, skills, and beyond above professionals judges. As for the contestant a good profile and background is a must for requirement. Why i must mention this because...majority all of the contestant that i've seen nominated, their background aren't worth the crown. Ones to be crown must have a clean background, at least 75 % commitment to her own heritage such a Hmong of course, and a degree ( a college degree even better), and last but not least get involve in the Hmong community and big goal that will bring the Hmong into the next level.

No name mentioning but most of the past contestant when you go into their profile like myspace, facebook, and other sources they are one big disgraceful to us Hmong. A lot of them are clubbers, party freak, and a big drinkers. Those are not what the Hmong community want as their pageant right? On stage they may say anything that will make them a winner but in reality none of those words are real and true. We really need a change. We really should since Obama's the president now...lets move on!

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
i think we shouldn't cause if we change it to a bikini...contest like american...the oggis...will be shock...like freeze n have stroke for reals....j/k...

*__*

sarNie Egg

1. Get PROFESSIONAL judges ie: educated ones, hmong cultural knowledge one, one who knows how to judge in a girl
2. Don't judge based on "fluency" of their hmong dilect. since the Miss america does not based
it off of that too. The fluency shouldn't matter as long they know and speak hmong is
good already.
3. Judge their talent based off of REAL talent not something they need to learn to do in 2months or 1
monts notice.
You can certainly tell what's "being practice" vs "learned at last minutes"

3 main things to really judge.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
u kno wat? i would love to be a judge! an educated college student should be able to be a judge, esp from a prestigious college, not like a community or a state college, but like a PRIVATE university or a UC.

thats just what i think. one of the judges should be a student who's from a prestigious college, so that he/she knows what to ask and has a better open minded view on this contest.

honestly, cuz all those girls who compete are only from community colleges or state colleges that aren't even challenging at all. to have a judge who's gone to a better school than them to grill them on questions would definitely be best if u want a compatible winner who hasn't practiced anything at home.

mainira

sarNie Hatchling
i think that beauty contest everywhere are the same. even American one. they are just like the hmong beauty pageant.

nkaujhmoob08

sarNie Adult
i don't think requirements should be changed. i think judges should be changed. judges should be those who are respectable to the Hmong Industry and from different areas.
'

oh wow..smart lurss...i agreed! i've thought of that before but seems like no one care....

nothinghill

sarNie Egg
u kno wat? i would love to be a judge! an educated college student should be able to be a judge, esp from a prestigious college, not like a community or a state college, but like a PRIVATE university or a UC.

thats just what i think. one of the judges should be a student who's from a prestigious college, so that he/she knows what to ask and has a better open minded view on this contest.

honestly, cuz all those girls who compete are only from community colleges or state colleges that aren't even challenging at all. to have a judge who's gone to a better school than them to grill them on questions would definitely be best if u want a compatible winner who hasn't practiced anything at home.
HEY MONGSTANESS,

YOUR COMMENT IS OUT OF CONTEXT. IT'S NOT THAT WE CAN'T GO TO PRIVATE OR A UC, IT'S B/C SOME OF US PREFER TO STAY IN TOWN, CLOSE TO HOME/FAMILY, ETC....
JUST B/C YOU GO TO A UC DOESN'T MAKE YOU ANY BETTER.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
HEY MONGSTANESS,

YOUR COMMENT IS OUT OF CONTEXT. IT'S NOT THAT WE CAN'T GO TO PRIVATE OR A UC, IT'S B/C SOME OF US PREFER TO STAY IN TOWN, CLOSE TO HOME/FAMILY, ETC....
JUST B/C YOU GO TO A UC DOESN'T MAKE YOU ANY BETTER.
no thats not wat i mean. srry if i offended ne one. i was jus referring to the previous post about professional judges. cuz i recently met very inspirational alumnis who are very qualified for judging.

and i understand the whole being close to home thing too, so its not something that i didnt think about, just something i noticed.

143art

sarNie Egg
well i gotta say that MONGSTANESS does have a point but they don't need to be from a PRESTIGIOUS college, i know some people are quiet an a$$ just cus they graduate from harvard or UC or w/e. someone with an educational background who seems to know what their doing, and HAVE HAVE HAVE (THIS IS A MUST) judging experience. i mean they can have the old judge, someone for only apperance (so she can look all traditional with that long black hair for all she wants), a judge for language and culture, a judge for talent, etc. etc but they can't be all the same old judge cause OG tends to look at all the same thing. they should also change it every year if they have to.
i stop watching the pageant the first time i saw it, it was boring and girls were all too fake....another thing they should consider nation wide, state, AND please no cities....MN got two different pageant and it stupid, because my friend will be talking about the one that won from st. paul and my cuz will be talking about the one that won from minneapolis...it just very very dumb to have it within two cities that are so close to each other.... and a month apart!!!

ddawbb

sarNie Adult
the FIRST rule that hmong pageants should have is that daughters/sons/very close relatives of ANY affilliated groups to the sponsoring event shoudl not be allowed to participate..

and yes, have more educated judges

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
i agree with everyone's comment, above mine.

but i don't think they are going to care, this is why i don't support Hmong Pageant at all. period.
i only go to new year to eat. :D

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
i think the old folks need to realize that not all hmong girls are fake like that.
some legit hmong girls like to hip hop, like to learn different languages,
like to do some things that are 'out' of the hmong box.

but the judges only want to see the same robot hmong girl win year after year.
what about someone who's real, legit and may lack some things, but still tries her best????
the judges are like bad parents who wants their kids to be someone they are not.
and they only like the kid that they think is 'perfect'.

maybe well known people should judge?
like, a singer from a band like Paradise, Sounder, etc.
or like, a hmong politican? a hmong lawyer?

those people are the closest thing we have to being outside the 'hmong box',
maybe their different views can allow new contestants to be more real and versatile.

im sad to hear that the Hmong Pageant has become a joke and vote buying contest to some people.
it's unfair to other hmong girls who are real and who do have real talent.

maybe a requirement is that the girls finish high school,
attending or will attend college regardless if it's city or state college???
i dont know if that's a requirement already but i heard that some one was a high school drop out.
i unno all the facts y'all.

*runs away cause i typed too much*

please share your thoughts, etc.

Alhambra1

sarNie Juvenile

Just because one went to a UC or a "prestigious" college does not necessary mean that they are smarter or possess more intelligent than someone who went to a State University or a community college. It's a matter of choice for some, so please try to be more considerate of your words next time. So I assume you went to a UC right? I did too, but I don't considered anyone from city college or state college less intelligent than me. If you were as smart as you think you are and has an open mind like you said you do, you would've know that there are some really intelligent people at both the community colleges and the state colleges. So again please be considerate of others choice, no need to belittle someone just because of the college he or she choose to attend. Sorry I am offended by your post, because I have friends at both city and state colleges, they are smarter than some of the students I've met at the UC system. But the reasons my friends and many other choose to attend city and state is because of financial (remember not everybody can get financial aid) and their major.