So what the hell happened just now

darvil

sarNie Adult
Basically we got flooded by a ton of requests.. Totally out of the norm.. I felt like it was an intentional flood. (U'll see in the graphs).

Basically SW's webserver was not strong enough to handle the amount of requests so it died repeatedly.
Either way I got lazy and dumped the whole quad core into the VPS. It was previously using just 1 core out of the quad.
After I gave it 3.5 cores, the VPS is now totally spanking the requests. Load is under 1 most of the time and that is good.

Anyway for the past few weeks I've been working on a project at work. I'm basically installing a network monitoring service
for the company. Its called Zenoss and its freaking awesome. It will be used to monitor all the servers (dedicated and VPSes)
for uptime and performances etc etc.

So what do I monitor first? Unfortunately SW does always become my testing ground and I've been
recording stats for the the VPS for a while now.

I'm going to share some graphs with you guys. Most of you will probably not know what the hell they are.. but they are so purrrty.

Note at the end of the graph you notice the spike and some missing parts.. thats basically just now when the webserver died repeatedly.

FYI: The first graph is how many requests we get per second. As you can see its usually around 7 but then it spiked up to 20 all of a sudden.

Also take a look at the MySQL Command Statistics.
You see the Green (Select) and Yellow (Update)?
See that it also says "Commands/sec"
The green (select) is basically when someone browse and just reads a thread. Yellow (Update) is when someone posts.
So you can see just by looking at the graph how your mysql server is running. Badass huh??

FREAKING SWEET HUH?? Damn I love being a nerd.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
:clap: Damn you are a nerd! hahaha...thats a good thing though...thanks so much forever thing...what would we do without chu? :kiss:

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Gosh you're seriously such a nerd lol. But it's cool, thanks for sharing the interesting graphs. I'm going to admit I was probably one out of the many that caused the requests per second to spike up since I kept refreshing SW :lol:. Sorry man i was checking for a reply until it died!

darvil

sarNie Adult
Nai.. you get the blame for crashing the webserver..

Bad girl.

still .. I am lazy to figure out why the requests went through the roof.. I mean we didn't get any new people coming to the server.. *shrugs*

Worse case senario.. someone attacking us ;)

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher

Bad girl.

still .. I am lazy to figure out why the requests went through the roof.. I mean we didn't get any new people coming to the server.. *shrugs*

I admit!! It was me.. I kept clicking on view new posts out of sheer boredom. :tease:

J/K!!

Muddie Murda

smile...
lol i did get my coworkers to join...? lol jk jk
well just one, because she likes the arcade lol can't you track where that volume's coming from? Like.....where they clicked from?
^____^

ChenrukNote

Goddess

Bad girl.

Haha whatevers P'Aung you blame me for everything yoo laew wah! But the reply was important so psssshhhh so what if I crashed the server I know tong mee khon gae fix mun yoo laew :lol:. Kob jai na ^_^.

darvil

sarNie Adult
I'll check the awstats later on but its probably something else. I used to be really paranoid but I think SW doesn't really have any enemies.

Plus you girls just piss of each other.. not the ultra uber l33t nerds on IRC.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
muahah this was funny too I was talking to you on msn and like you were like "its not normal for all these requests" I immediately thought uhhh.. maybe it's me? because my browser kept refreshing over and over and frozed then kept refreshing lmao; ^__-" For a minute I thought it was my fault :loool: then I thought about that one time I got banned because the ftp kept trying to login and I was like crap "im getting banned from sworld again" lmao :loool:

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
could it really be us??? LMAO...

if it that is the case..i guess i can refrain myself for a few days.. will that help just a tiny bit? :lol:

noungning

Heartless
omg tim, i can't believe u actually posted pictures.

someone might've sent some signals to attack us haha. someone hates u that much man. i just remember being on a thai forum and it was attacked in that manner, they notified us of it but not much of a difference it made. but of course that wasn't a typical forum so ya.

darvil

sarNie Adult
It was not you guys. Don't be silly.. you guys don't have the power to bring down the forum.. not yet anyway ;)

Also there's more cpu and ram I can keep throwing at it anyway. I'll have to study the logs.. it seems like the requests coming from some bots.

Anyway look at this

See the requests died down about 3 or 4 hours after I posted on here and its been pretty stable so far. So whatever happened has stopped for now.