Soulmate's Path| Complete

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 1

"Urassaya Rakarun!"

Jolted out of a cloudy daze, Rassa twisted around. "What is it Mint? Why are you calling me so loudly?"

Mint crossed her arms, mimicking a motherly behavior. "I called to you softly but you didn't hear, so what else was I supposed to do?"

"Oh." She faced front again. "Why am I here?" she laughed, seeing that she was standing very close to the glass window at the front of the restaurant.

"That's what I kept asking you," Mint said. "All of a sudden you walked from the counter to here and, like, pressed up against the glass. I was wondering what you were looking for but you didn't respond. You kept looking intensely outside until a black car passed by. It was like you were possessed."

"Black car?" Rassa had a vision of a person's profile behind the shaded car window. A simple outline, yet, she was already trying to guess where she might have met that stranger from.

Mint nodded. "Yeah…Hm," she cocked her head, "It was an expensive looking car. Don't tell me you have a secret date with a secret boyfriend from out of town?" She gasped. "Who have you been meeting at the college?"

"Crazy," Rassa nudged the side of her friend's head. "Of course not."

"Yeah, I don't think you're that bold. Besides how can you betray P'Mark."

"Hey!" It was Rassa's turn to gasp. "What are you saying?"

"Oh please, it's so obvious."

"You know what, I need to go clear the tables." Rassa strolled back through the small restaurant with its earthy décor and cozy furnishings, hiding a smile. "Lower the shades, the sunlight is too strong."

Pope glared at the cheerful figure before him who was chatting happily, ignorant of the hate and resentment emitted towards her from her cousin. The words that Pope's parents had taught him all his life were stamped in his mind like an ugly tattoo. If it wasn't for this person, he would have inherited all the riches of their family. All the lands and the plantation, everything would have been his if not for her. Yet, the heavens had sent Pope's aunt and uncle a gift, a girl who was loved and cherished by everyone in town, even his fool of a sister. The only people who cared nothing for Rassa Rakarun's existence were Pope and his parents, who had taught their hate to their son with thoroughness. With their greedy natures, Pope's family was never satisfied with their plentiful and comfortable life.

Pope strode towards the two girls, finally finding the sight unbearable. "Mint, it's time to go home."

Though Mint clearly wished to stay longer, she feared Pope's wrath and bid her dear cousin good bye.

"Bye Mint, bye P'Pope," Rassa waved to them from behind the counter of the restaurant.

He turned away without answering. On their way out, the brother and sister passed a young man. Pope's gaze went straight through Mark, while Mark did not acknowledge the man who was supposed to be his superior. He was used to Pope ignoring the existence of every working class person. In fact, Mark found this treatment blessed him with a peaceful life. Anyone who got on the wrong side of an egomaniac like Pope didn't escape punishment.

Mark smiled at Mint while she waved to him behind her brother's back. She always had to be careful not to talk to workers when Pope was around, or she'd get a tongue lashing.

"Rassa, I'm back!" he called out, feeling like the atmosphere was lightened once 'his majesty' Pope was out the door. "Is mom around?" His mother owned and ran the restaurant Heaven's Spoon.
Rassa appeared with her hands on her hips. "You took forever! Now your lunch is getting cold."

He chuckled, "In this heat? I think I'll enjoy it."

She didn't give in to his humor but asked crossly, "This has been happening lately. What's keeping you? You know –"

"Yeah, I know, you're a very punctual person plus lunch is a very important meal helping to rejuvenate my body so I can survive the day," he recited for her.

She crossed her arms. "Sounds like you're not taking me seriously at all." She glared suspiciously at him. "Are you late because you already ate somewhere else?"

He leaned over and whispered behind his hand, "Maybe."

"Then I shouldn't waste my time here," she pushed past him and made for the kitchen door but he caught her and tugged her arm. "Let go."

"Aw come on, I was kidding. I would never eat anything that's not made by you." She stomped stubbornly. He pulled his plate over. "See?" he shoveled spoonfuls in his mouth. "I'm eatin'."
Rassa stared at him from the corner of her eyes then slapped his back, causing him to spew out half-chewed food. "Are you trying to kill me?" he cried.

"Who told you to eat cold food?" she said sternly and whisked away the plate – but she couldn't help beaming as she turn away to prepare him a new meal.

-------------
Nadech swiveled around and found himself surrounded by green vegetation, a place he'd never seen before…

No, he had seen this setting several times in his dreams. Various specks of light streamed through the branches. For some reason, he found that he couldn't move. All of a sudden, the time in this eerie world began whispering in his ears - his panic rose as that voice grew louder.

"No," he spoke out loud, but it did not cover the hollow ringing which echoed as though there was no escape from the walls of his mind. He began to run and that dizzying voice followed wherever he went.

When the whispering drifted apart and at the same time, seemed to rush up at him, Nadech tripped and fell forward.

All the trees echoed his name with a soft female voice.

"Nadech, wake up."

The echoes were replaced by a roaring engine. Nadech Theerada peeked through slits meeting a high noon sun. Trying to shake himself awake he sighed, glancing upon the endless miles of crop fields.

"We're nearly there," Boy reported from the passenger's seat. "If you're hungry, we can make a stop at the upcoming restaurant."

"No thanks." Nadech shifted himself to sit up straighter, fighting a yawn, when he noticed they were nearing a small building by the side of the road. As the car approached what he assumed was the restaurant, his eyes honed in on the glass front, as if expecting to see something, or someone. They drove by too quickly for him to catch details, but Nadech was sure there had been a person watching the car from inside, as if waiting for him. The glare of the glass distorted the image, but a sense of familiarity creeped up Nadech's neck.

Closing up the land contract proceeded smoothly, much to Nadech's relief. His family's Thasasit Farm would expand now that they had a share in Mr. Rakarun's estate.

"It was a pleasure meeting you. We look forward to the cooperation."

"Same here," Nadech replied and shook hands with Mr. Rakarun. He didn't want to be rude but he was glad the plans were over. Now he'd get a few free days before returning.

His attention was brought back to the present moment, drawn by Mr. Rakarun's strong gaze. "Please take care of the land. It's precious."

Nadech smiled. "I know."

Once the Thasasit Farm men were gone, Mr. Rakarun glanced at the empty seat to his right. He sighed, knowing his sister and brother-in-law had been against selling the land. However, it was Mr. Rakarun's personal inheritance and after a long deliberation, he concluded that he didn't need it; his goal had always been to work towards having enough so his family would be provided for, not soaking up as much profit as possible. Certainly, Mr. Rakarun could have passed the land over to his sister, but just because he didn't need the land, didn't mean he didn't care about it. His sister and her husband would either tear up the ground to build tourist attractions or sell it to some big shot company who would do the same. When Mr. Rakarun was contacted by Thasasit Farm, and did a meticulous background check of their values and history, he knew he had found people who valued the bounty and life of earth, and would be able to share it with the rest of his beloved country. Therefore, he had sold the land to Mr. Theerada.

-------------
Rassa placed her last tomato in the basket and smiled remembering Mark. Just before she had left to pick from her secret garden, he had yet again asked her where it was. But this was a precious secret she couldn't reveal to anyone, not even her parents. A few years ago, she had walked through the land and randomly chosen a spot to experiment on, which miraculously turned out to be extremely fertile.

She stroked the juicy red tomato. It reminded her of the time Mark had come back from school all bashed and bruised, but he didn't stop smiling once. And then he had asked her to make him tomato soup, to halt her from her streaming questions of what had happened. Later Rassa found about there had been a fight between him and Pope, but he didn't know she knew. She sighed at the fond memories, happy that Mark and his family were a part of her life. For as long as she was alive, Rassa just wanted to help her parents with their farm, and cook in Auntie Rani's restaurant. Home was her own little heaven.

Rassa wiped the sweat beading her forehead and fanned herself in vain. She set down the full basket which had felt feather-light before but was now weighing her down after several minutes' walking from the garden.

An idea popped up. She glanced around but found no souls in her presence so she headed towards a pool lying in the shade with crystal water bubbling into it. Giggling like a school girl she slipped her blouse over her head, welcoming the prickles in response to the thought of stepping in the water.

Nadech watched the last of the ashes float away, fluttering like the souls of dead butterflies. It still struck him as odd that he had slipped the letters in his pocket suddenly on his way out of the hotel. Upon reaching the middle of nowhere on this new land, he had been overwhelmed with the desire to be rid of them, before they burned through his skin.

"How are you doing, I wonder." He swallowed a knot in his throat and dusted his hand on the khakis he'd replaced the tailored trousers with and with a last sweep over the sky he turned back.
That was when it dawned on him that he didn't remember the way he'd come from.

Cursing softly to himself, Nadech bent forward on his knees, feeling like he'd run a marathon. What had possessed him to wander out in this unknown land, even if he had just purchased it? But carrying his best friend's letters around two years after her death had weighed a hole in his heart and he wanted to be rid of them, so since he had the opportunity, he'd taken it. Burning Araya's letters had been a completely impulsive idea, and he had wanted to do it in privacy, in a place where even the wind tasted different, and the trees weren't familiar with him. And he knew even if the letters were gone from his possession, Araya would never be gone from his heart. 'Well look where your sentimental act has led you,' he chided silently.

It was a blessing that the sun was unable to reach him except through the small cracks of the canopy of leaves above. Still, moisture clung to his skin, sticking his clothes on him. He crossly peeled off his t-shirt and mopped his face uselessly. Not until he was finished did he raise his eyes to his surroundings.
Were his eyes playing tricks on him? Was he still dreaming? No, but this WAS like his dream, the dream that recurred countlessly for the past month. Nadech felt he could recognize and count every leaf, every individual line on the bark around him. It was all the same. But where was the deep confusion he felt in his dream? Where was the panic that rose like a monster in his chest before eating him over? And where was the voice? Where was her voice? He could now see the path, the one he always ran through; even though there were no signs or markings, he knew it was in front of him. And he knew he had to follow it. The invisible trail so familiar to his subconscious led him on tantalizingly while he lost track of time. Most likely only minutes had passed.

He stopped. Nadech perked up at the sound of water, and then the reflecting light of liquid shined against greenery. The eerie familiarity passed as he hurried to push aside shrubs, cup the water and drink in large gulps. Then he splashed some down his skin. A shake of his head sent a spray of water from his hair.
Wait. Now all his senses seemed to play with him. He tilted his head and pounded on one side to see if water had somehow managed to get into his ear, because he heard humming—a very human sound. Curiosity drew him through the bushes until a pool of water came into view. Nadech's eyes widened. Either he had been out in the sun too long or the cold water had shocked him but the mirage of a girl lay before him, and judging by the bare shoulders above the water's surface, she was naked.

-------------
She turned. Their eyes met. He slipped into the water and stood before her.

"Where have you been all my life?"

Their lips met and a union was born right then and there. They returned to Rassa's home where they announced their intentions of marriage and lived happily ever after. The end.

:eyetwitch:

Or not. Lol, sadly, this story is not going to have such a speedy happily ever after. No no, not because I intend to put Yadech through he11 over and over again throughout the story, but I might as well admit that I'm busy and have no confidence in finishing this ff (seriously, I worked myself into a frenzy before pressing the 'Post New Topic' button) and it is also for these reasons that I have not posted this officially at Yadech forum. Like, we're looking at a monthly update. Pathetic, don'tcha think?
Why then, you might ask, am I even bothering to post this ff? Well, there are momentary...moments of free time and boredom that just beg for me to pick up the pen and notebook. And I honestly have been trying to put this story into motion for a while and am hoping that the power of Yadech and the fact that it's been posted SOMEwhere will give me a sense of commitment. That said, I'll also confess that this is the second time I've written this story (different cast) with an almost completely new storyline, and I am, once again, hoping the two previous reasons will motivate me.
It'll be okay, since writing is simply a way for me to fangirl over Yadech, but since we now have GRGR to spazz over anyway, a lack in updates will not hurt because I'm getting overdosed by Yadech already. ^^
In conclusion, if it matters at all, I'm simply saying...this will be a slow story. :no:

Sincerely yours,
jjinxx

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
OMG YAY! Jjinxxy is back with a new FF! *Screams!*
Thanks hon! I hope you're doing well and that school is stressing you out too much. Take care na ja! < 3

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Welcome back jjinxxy!

You made my day!!!!!!

Happy to see you at Yadech forum and GRGR thread.

Hope school life treats you well.

Merit

sarNie Adult
Gosh, love the first chap so far. Pope is going to be so hot in her (giggle). You have my fave two in here. Mint and Pope. ;) He sounds like a mean, handsome man.

jjinxx

Chapter 2

Nadech shook his head. He rubbed his eyes and even pinched himself, but no, she didn’t disappear except continued her sweet humming. The voice in his head told him to get out of there. This situation spelled MISUNDERSTANDING. Nadech backed away.

Hissss…

He stopped. Not moving, he looked down his nose at the snake slithering around his feet. What the hell? Poisonous snakes weren’t supposed to be native to this region, he thought, recognizing the colors that coded for ‘danger.’ Then it was gone, not minding him a bit. He breathed a sigh of relief.

Oh crap. His eyes went back to the snake making its way towards the pool. The woman was still there, completely unaware of the present danger.

So which will it be? Reveal himself or run and give the snake a chance to do its work? Nadech inched slowly towards the snake, trying not to attract the woman’s attention at the same time. Damn that snake was quick and it just kept getting closer to the pond. Suddenly, it swiveled around and raised itself, no doubt looking straight at him as if to say it knew he was trying to interfere.

‘Okay, just calm down. Grab it by the head like what they said in the nature shows.’ Nadech’s hand shot out. ‘Gotcha! Hell yeah, who’s the man?’

“Augh!”

She had finally turned around, startling him out of his bravado and Nadech loosened his hold on the snake. It took its aim and sank its teeth into Nadech’s forearm then escaped as he gripped his arm, falling to his knees. Numbness spread slowly over him. His vision blurred, the outline of the woman turned sideways, and then blackness bleeded in.

Rassa watched, horrified as the man fell on his side. Her first thought was that someone had been peeping at her, but next thing she knew, a hiss sound caught her attention. What was a poisonous snake doing here? She’d never seen one like that out on their lands before.

‘Forget it, that man is hurt!’ Seeing he was in mortal peril, she dressed and ran to his side. Had he just saved her life? She lifted his arm where two distinct dots were and tried not to panic. ‘Oh god, what do I do? Snake bites…what was in those nature shows?’

Before she chickened out, Rassa put her mouth to his wound, sucking out the poisoned blood.

“Mark, are you going back now?”

Before Mark could answer his mom, Rassa burst through the door, weighed down by her wet clothes and drained of color.

“Rassa, what’s wrong?” Aunt Rani hurried to her as Mark caught her before she fell.

“Rassa!” he yelled in alarm.

“There’s a man who’s hurt!” she was having a hard time focusing. “A snake…A snake bit him!”

“Snake? But there aren’t any –“

“No, he’s really there, just a mile into the forest, and he’s about to die! I tried to drag him here but…” she exclaimed urgently.

Mark carried her to the sofa and ordered, “Mom, call Mr. Rakarun. Get help down here. I’m going out to check the area.”

“Be careful!”

-------------
Rassa’s eyelids fluttered apart. She felt groggy as she tried to fuse all the double and triple visions into their true objects. “Where am I?” a weak voice asked and she realized it was her own.

“P’Rassa! Oh, she’s awake!” Different faces popped above her and a hand stroked her forehead.

“Mom.”

“Thank God you’re ok,” her mom smiled through her tears and breathed in relief.

“Rassa,” Mint was gripping her hand, “You really sucked out the poison from a man’s snake bite?”

“Mint, now’s not the time.” Rassa broke out in a smile hearing Mark’s voice chime in.

“Is he ok? That man?”

Her father patted her arm. “Mr. Theerada is fine for the time being. It is truly amazing that you both survived. My girl has saved a person’s life, I’m proud of you dear. But don’t do anything to put yourself in danger from now on,” he added sternly.

She beamed at her dad. “Aren’t I a hero daddy?”

“Foolish girl,” her mom shook her head.

“Man, I thought you had died!” Boy continued on with his rant. “I can’t believe it. I can’t believe you almost abandoned all this work on me, not to mention Om would kick my a** if you had kicked the bucket. What the hell were you doing out there anyways?” he asked for the fourth time. “I can’t believe there are actually bloody poisonous snakes out here, what the…”

Nadech snickered quietly, “You’re not much of a believer.”

“Right now we’re not talking about me, we’re talking about how unbelievably idiotic you were to go out in this unfamiliar place. Aren’t you being too naïve?”

Nadech was sure if he told Boy what else he had thought he’d seen, Boy wouldn’t believe it. Because just for a moment when the poison was working itself in him, Nadech thought he had seen his old friend again. Impossible, he told himself over and over. “Accidents happen.”

“Dude, but you know what’s also crazy unbelievable?” Boy took up his talking again. “That woman that was with you, she’s Nopadon Rakarun’s daughter,” he shook his head, “Hell of a coincidence. That one’s got guts though, sucking out poison, honestly.”

Nadech furrowed his brow. “Mr. Rakarun’s daughter?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you see her? Is she ok?”

“She’s here too, but I heard she was getting discharged today so it must be that she’s fine. Hey where are you going?”

Nadech had stood up suddenly but swayed on his feet.

“Man, calm down,” Boy helped him sit. “There’s plenty of time to talk to them. At least express your gratitude when you can stand on two feet.” He rubbed his jaw, “But according to your story, you’re pretty much even. It would have been her that creature got if you weren’t there.” Nadech rolled his eyes at his buddy who muttered, “This is one hell of a world…”

-------------
A few days later, Rassa was out of the hospital, good as new.

Mint poked Rassa’s cheek gently, snickering. “What’s this? You look so spaced out lately. Hm…Should I be letting you handle that knife?” she giggled. “Don’t blame me if you cut yourself.”

“It’s all Mark’s fault,” she hissed, “or else I wouldn’t be so mad.”

“Oh, so when a person is angry they will hum and dance with themselves and grin like a maniac as they gaze off into the distance?” Mint nodded. “Honey, I think your vocabulary is mixed up. The word you’re looking for is L-O-V-E.” She swayed her hips in rhythm, singing each letter.

“Please. It’s nothing close to that. I,” Rassa’s face flushed and she pouted, “I’ve never even seen him act like anything other than a friend.”

“Hmm…he went to the hospital every day, stayed by your side every minute he wasn’t working and practically didn’t let you lift a finger to do work. He likes you.”

“Do you…really think he…?” Oh dear, the thought of that nearly sent Rassa into a fit of delusion. She had begun crushing on her childhood friend since high school but could only admire him silently.

“Honestly P’Rassa, you really don’t know?” she received a scowl from her cousin. “Fine, then when he gets back from running an errand for YOU, I’ll just ask him.”

“No!” She pounced on Mint who had already envisioned her attack and dodged away, laughing. Rassa was about to spring at her friend again but she froze. “Do you hear something?”

It was faint at first but seemed to draw closer. It sounded like a screeching wail and just recognizing it, Rassa felt her heart jump in her stomach. She sped to the doors of the restaurant and just as she threw them open, the source of the searing noise rushed past, raising the dust in its midst, but unable to hide itself.

“A fire truck…” Mint stuttered. Still turned in the direction of the vehicle, Rassa glimpsed something else, more subtle than what had just appeared. Now why was a gray cloud mingling among the pure cotton in the sky? It didn’t look right. It didn’t feel right. Rassa’s legs took one step, and then she was running flat out, not even feeling her feet touch the ground. The world rushed past her and she had eyes on one destination. When she finally arrived she ignored her burning lungs and the dust clogging her throat but she could not avoid the distortion of the scene in front of her.

What used to be her home was replaced by a great monster of flames, creeping up every inch and licking at the surface of the house. In its tracks were left soot and useless debris.

Mom…Dad… A question mark hung in the air. “Mom…” She was already close enough to reach out and touch the white-hot flames and they beckoned her forward, egging her on with the promise that she would get her answers if only she came closer still.

“Rassa! Stop!” Rassa was on the ground and Mint dragged her away from the fire. “No, you can’t go in!”

“Let me go! I have to save them! Mom and Dad…and…” Not a moment after the word left her mouth an explosion lifted both of them off their feet and they landed hard on the ground. A wrenching crack followed, ripping the last standing wall to join the rest of the dirt.

Rassa didn’t hear Mint calling her name. She lost consciousness.

-------------

@chubbycheeks, 555 I shall not let school defeat me! I hope all's well with you. Thank you for reading.

@Vimalee, long time no see! So glad to hear from you and I hope you're doing good as well!

@Merit, yay! To be honest, Pope's probably the character I like writing the most, even though he's a side character and...CRUEL. Oh, I can't wait till you all read what he has up his sleeve.

jjinxx

Really good ka. Please continue as quick as you can na ka but I understand that you are busy too. I'll wait patiently for your update. hehehe

cecilia

Staff member
wow .. i'm hook -- even though you didn't post in YADECH .. i will steal it and post it there .. update there when you have the chance too na.

No rush .. i'm so into this now lol -- i could visual basically your whole story -- a different life for YADECH .. how exciting :wub:

Glad to see you back on writing .. someone at the forum was asking about new fiction on YADECH.COM .. i think i just found her the answer lol

So crazy .. i made a teaser of this (my interpretation lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGFJ6cRZ0wE

and a cover :

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Oh jjinxxy, you don't know how happy I am to have another fan fiction to follow!

I thought I have to wait till summer but this is an early Christmas present!

:dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

jjinxx

@lakornkiki, lol I seriously wish I could just sit and write all day and take breaks watching Yadech lakorns!

@kenann fan, LOL you guys make me feel like I'm a fisherman with some really good bait! But that's GOOD too!

@Ceci, Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You. rock. I love both the poster and vid, they look just like they are in heaven.

@Vimalee, yay! Glad to see you here hon! I shall do my bestest to make this a good one, then perhaps get a new one for the summer. ^^

Thank you for reading! Check out Ceci's gorgeous poster and the vid she made two posts above!

Chapter 3

Someone was patting her forehead with gentleness. She very slowly opened her eyes. How heavy they were though, resisting her effort. Yet, it seemed like she didn’t want to open her eyes either, didn’t want to be a witness to the excruciating nightmare she just had.

“Daddy…” The cool cloth paused. “Mom?” Shadows drifted in and out of view and she wanted to chase them but her legs were of jelly. “Mint…” A muffled sound answered her this time. “Mark.” Rassa gasped and sat up, startling Mint beside her.

“P’Rassa, it’s me, Mint, I’m right here. How are you feeling?” she pushed back the sweat-drenched strands from Rassa’s face.

“What happened?”

Mint hesitated. “Yesterday…”

So everything was real, her mind screamed. “Where is everyone?” Mint’s forehead creased more, knowing exactly who she spoke of. “Where are my parents?” And the tears pooling her cousin’s beautiful eyes confirmed the most painful truth. Her vision blurred by tears, Rassa’s lips quivered and asked, “And Mark?”

Mint swallowed hard. “He’s at the hospital. He was with your p-parents... He got injured too and was sent to the hospital. But…”

Her heart raced. “He’s not…. He can’t be…” she couldn’t bring herself to voice it.

“No,” Mint reassured her. “He’s still alive… But, you have to know… P’Pope, he…” she blinked rapidly, unable to meet her eye.

“Mint, please tell me what’s going on. I’m so confused.”

Taking a deep breath, Mint continued. “Mark…He’s being accused of…”

“I want to see her!”

“Don’t use that tone. Who do you think you are coming here? Look at you. Aren’t you supposed to be at the hospital?” there was a cold laugh. “You shouldn’t have risked your life for those two old fools.” The two girls jumped when they heard a crash from downstairs. Before Mint could stop her, Rassa pushed aside the covers and ran out to the stairs.

“Mark!” she cried out and he would have been at her side immediately if the guards hadn’t held him back. Pope rubbed his jaw where Mark had got him. With one gesture from him, the guards began beating up Mark.

“No!” Rassa ran towards him but Pope caught her weak body and roughly shoved her into the arms of other guards. “P’Pope, please stop! Please, don’t hit him!” she begged helplessly with fresh tears on her face. She could see the bandages on Mark’s broken arm loosening and hear his stifled cries, her heart shattered seeing him in pain.

“You care about him… don’t you cousin?” Pope’s eyes pierced through her. “Are you willing to do anything to save him?”

“Yes! Don’t hurt him anymore! I’ll do anything!”

“Do I have your promise?”

“I swear it! Please, just stop!” The beating lessened but did not end.

“Rassa, don’t listen to him!” Mark shouted to her. Pope yanked her by the wrist.

“Sign this and I’ll tell them to stop.”

“Don’t do it! No matter what, don’t do what he tells you!” But how could she hesitate when he could be killed at any moment? She could see that Pope had no hint of mercy in his eyes. With a shaky hand, she scribbled a sloppy signature on the paper. Pope took his time looking it over before waving the guards aside. She ran and fell next to Mark.

“Why did you do it?” Mark said through his labored breathing, knowing that following Pope’s orders might just be the end for her.

“Are you ok?” she sobbed, reaching out to touch him and yet afraid she might hurt him. Every inch of him looked bruised or broken or burned. If only she could take his place. She knew without being told that he had tried to save her parents.

“I’m always ok. As long as you’re fine. Don’t cry anymore,” he raised a hand to touch her cheek. “Your eyes will hurt tomorrow.” Suddenly she was forced up from the ground. “Rassa…” he tried to get up but instead it was the guards who had their hands on him once more, effortlessly tugging him to stand up.

Pope ordered, “Send him to the police station.”

“No! P’Pope, you said you wouldn’t do anything to him!” Rassa screamed.

“I made no such promise to you, cousin. And nothing stops me from doing what I want,” he growled murderously.

“If you hurt her,” Mark panted, “I’m not letting you get away.”

“What can you do to me when you’ll be behind bars for starting a fire?” a cruel sneer grew on his face. “And don’t worry about my dear cousin. Her fiancé will take good care of her.”

She didn’t even register his last sentence. “Pope, please don’t do this. He didn’t start the fire!” she pleaded.

“Well somebody did. You weren’t there with him. Who will be able to testify for him? The only ones who are willing to stand up for him were your parents. But they’re gone now. And he will be too. Now take them away. Lock her in the room.”

No amount of crying or begging would free Rassa from them.

She was thrown back in the room. Even though she could hear Mint demanding to be let in, she no longer had the strength to scream or fight. She was too overwhelmed from what had happened and collapsed on the floor. If she could stop breathing she would, but her body was acting against her will, drawing in as much air as possible like a fish out of water. Her whole being trembled and her mind was trying so hard to shut out the truth, to forget all of this that could not possibly be anything more than a nightmare. But, god, how terribly she was failing to do anything but repeat Mark’s words, “Don’t cry anymore….” And Rassa scorned herself, for she couldn’t even fulfill this simple request from him.
She couldn’t save the people she loved. She wasn’t able to save any of them.

-------------
A week later.
“Are these people messed up? Why would they demand a meeting on such short notice?” Boy grumbled in irritation.

“I hope this has nothing to do with the signed contract, now that the land ownership has passed to Pope Surongtakul.” The person in the backseat spoke. He was Om Theerada, a man of thirty years, two years the senior of his brother, Nadech. “Just because we agreed not to work on the land until the reaping season ended, doesn’t mean they can repossess our property.”

Nadech sighed in agitation and Boy assumed it was also because of this matter. However, Nadech didn’t care that they had to attend a last-minute meeting. It was the event that had taken place which troubled him.

“Boy, didn’t you say yesterday was the day the Rakarun girl got engaged?” He had not had a chance to see her again. After a short talk with Mr. Rakarun, Om had summoned Nadech home right away.

“Yeah, it was yesterday,” he frowned, “Speaking of that girl, I feel she might have some sort of injury in the head. Her parents just passed away and she signs the will off to her relatives just like that? Doesn’t she even know who they are? Honestly, what does she think they’re going to do, keep her family’s treasures safe for her? The Surongtakul family is hella greedy. She might as well…” He paused with an open mouth, catching double glares from Nadech and Om.

“Boy, can you be a little more respectful? You’re right, her parents did just pass away. Show some sympathy,” Om scolded.

“Sorry…”

Nadech once again stared out the window of the car. Words slipped out of his mouth. “So now that she’s getting married she won’t be around here…”

Glancing back, Boy replied, “Actually, I heard that the girl and her in-laws are staying with the Surongtakul House for the time being. Really, with so many people to look after, they still need to call us here. If this is in regards to the signed contract…”

The rest was lost to Nadech’s ears.

-------------
Rassa lowered the corner of her mouth that was supposed to imitate a half smile when Nak turned to look at the flowers. Her eyes dropped to her hands. There it was, on her fourth finger, a giant sparkly rock the size of a strawberry, glittering with the sun that she believed had no right to show itself in front of her again.

How could that sun be so inconsiderate of her feelings? Didn’t it know that it was supposed to be mourning and weeping with her?

But the sun was only doing its job. To her, it was painful to see the sun so high, the very same one that had watched over her and her mom and dad and Mark and Mint. But perhaps to another person, that sun was lifting their spirit, giving them hope and making their heart swell until their happiness wanted to burst – and then that person would share their sun happiness with someone else. But Rassa had no one – no one to give her happiness and without her beloveds, there was no happiness for her to share. Even Mint had been forbidden to see her.

“Rassa, shall we head back inside?”

She stood and helped Nak up, softly guiding him. How fragile this boy was, so pale and soft and tranquil, and so beautiful too. And he was her husband-to be; she bit back the bitterness. Nak and the sun, it was neither of their faults. She had no right to feel anything towards him. He was kind and gentle, his voice mostly never rose above a whisper. Even though he looked like he had no energy, he would laugh when he saw pretty things, and even when the jingling laughs turned into coughs he would comfort her and say he was ok. She should be grateful that the partner chosen by her aunt and uncle was someone so lovely. As for the sun, Rassa admitted that it’s not that she had a grudge against it. It’s more like she no longer felt worthy of its gift of warmth.

After only ten steps, she stopped in shock. “Nak…” The name barely left her lips before her fiance was on the ground in a faint.

-------------
“Hello? Yes we’ve just arrived…WHAT? Cancel the meeting?! Wh – “

Nadech didn’t even look up until Boy’s voice softened.

“Oh…I’m very sorry to hear that. Alright then. Good bye.”

“What is it this time?”

“The fiance of the Rakarun girl has been rushed to the hospital so they’ve canceled the meeting.”

Without missing a beat, Nadech ordered the driver, “Go to the hospital.”

“What? Shouldn’t we go to the hotel and rest?”

“You go yourself after dropping me off at the hospital,” Nadech ordered.

Om eyed his brother curiously. “We’re not related to them. There’s nothing we can do.”

“Just…just let me check it out. I’ll stay in the background, I promise.”

Om conceded. “Fine.”

Boy mumbled, “I never know what you’re thinking…”

-------------
Hope you all had a nice weekend. I know for sure I didn't want to leave home T-T
This is a short chapter, I feel like I gypped you guys. But I think SP will have shorter chapters anyway. But hey, FOUR of my favorite guys in here: Nadech, Om, Boy and Pope, and one of them is the villain...Ah, life is good.
Thanks for reading!

jjinxx

ukepearl

sarNie Hatchling
hey jjinxx the FF is sounding really good :nailbiter: can't wait to read what happens next!!
but who is nak?? hahah can't really imagine his face... and pope is evil??? aiyaa but he's so sweet in gamerai gamerak can't imagine him different :D hehehe
you're a REALLY good writer.. can't wait for more!! xx

jjinxx

Chapter 4

“It’s your entire fault! You’re a jinx!”

So that was what she was. Rassa wouldn’t deny it, because it made perfect sense. The people she loved were taken away from her. And now, another person who had entered her life was gone. Nak had passed away, extinguished like an inconstant flame.

“Now, now, don’t get worked up. You should go rest,” Mr. Sakdecha firmly ushered his wife away so that he was alone with Rassa in the hospital waiting room. “So my son is now dead,” his sour breath blew in her face, unnecessarily close. She didn’t know why but suddenly he had his hands on her shoulders and it wasn’t comfortable. “My wife says you’re a jinx but I’m going to keep you for myself.” He sneered his cracked lips and she couldn’t help cringing.

“W-what do you mean?” she mumbled, trying to move away.

“Hah, you’re a curse that killed my son. The least you can do is repay me with your body.” He was advancing towards her even as she brushed his hands away. “Don’t be too difficult. I won’t hurt you.”

“L-let go…” Where was the strength in her? Did it die with her parents? Was it locked up like Mark?

“You belong to our family now. You belong to me…”

What is this? She couldn’t imagine what she must have committed in her past life to offend the almighty. Rassa’s eyes squeezed tight when she felt his hand stroke down her neck.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

Without opening her eyes, she heard a rough cry and the old man’s hands were stripped from her. She could hear the two voices in front of her but couldn’t bring herself to face it; she just wanted to disappear like her courage.

“You b*stard! What the hell are you doing?!”

“That’s my question.” That voice startled her, it was so fiercely angry.

“I’m gonna sue you for assaulting me!”

“Take your best shot a**hole.”

“You dare to speak so vulgarly to me!? Show some respect or I’ll throw your sorry a** in jail!”

“Respect?” Another scream echoed.

The person took a step towards that despicable animal who backed away. “Get out of here before I break your neck.” That threat seemed to work since Mr. Sakdecha crawled hastily away and stumbled out of the door.

Rassa could sense that the new person was very close to her. He had saved her. Her eyelids parted. She froze in astonishment. He was the one with the snake.

Nadech had tried to control his fury before approaching her. Now as he kneeled to her level he could tell that he had been mistaken about his hallucinations. The girl had some resemblance to Araya but the broken sparrow on the floor was a completely different person. What was this, what was going on inside of him? Why did he have the feeling of a broken heart when he looked at her pure face tainted by such sadness? It gave him the impulse to reach out and touch her, which he did. But she flinched and he stopped.

Nadech cleared his throat. “Are you ok?”

No response.

“Did he hurt you?”

Not even a twitch.

“Please, I want to help you,” he tried to speak as gently as possible, in contrast to the tone used a minute ago. “My name’s Nadech. What’s yours?”

Her eyes finally flickered and she blinked. He thought she might not answer again but she mumbled a very slurred reply of her whole first name, Urassaya.

“s...aya..”

Nadech cocked his head, trying to catch her soft voice. “Ya..Yaya?” he asked slowly.

Rassa sighed. Close enough. Besides, why did this stranger need to know her real name?

He looked over his shoulder at the sound of voices. “Look, do you want to leave? Leave this place?” he asked earnestly, and she surprised him by looking into his eyes.

Did she want to leave? Of course. But should she trust him? Why had he bothered to get involved? Why was he back in her life? He appeared yet again when she was in trouble and rather than viewing him as a hero, at the moment, a ridiculous thought flitted through Rassa's mind that before her stood her very own jinx.

“Come,” he anxiously held out his hand. Nadech could tell she was hesitating. Heck, why the hell was he so sure himself of what he was doing right now? All he knew was that she needed to be healed. Could he really be considering himself as that cure? Then she placed her hand in his and it flooded his whole self with the answer.

Nadech fled with Yaya beside him, away from the chaos erupting behind. Once outside, he hectically searched for the car.

“Hey Nadech!”

He tugged her and they ran to the car and he guided her into the backseat while Boy and Om watched speechlessly.

“To the train station," Nadech ordered the driver. They set off, just as Mr. Sakdecha appeared at the hospital’s entrance with his people.

Once Nadech came to a stop, Om finally ripped his eyes from Yaya’s reflection and asked, “What are we doing here?”

“She has to leave. P’Om, take her back home with you. Take the next train.”

“What?!” Boy finally regained his vocal abilities. “Why did you bring her? I mean, who is she?”

“She’s the Rakarun girl.”

“Nopadon Rakarun’s daughter?” Om asked severely.

Boy asked, “The one that—“

“Yes,” Nadech snarled, “The point is that she was almost assaulted by her father-in-law and I stopped him so now I…we…”

“Her father-in-law? That old Pakboon Sakdecha?” Boy shook his head in disgust.

“Look, she needs to leave.”

Sighing, Om replied, “Alright, we can’t turn back now. You two are going to have to take care of things here. But,” his eyes flashed at Nadech, “I need an explanation when you get back.”

After a nod, Nadech helped her out. “Yaya, this is my older brother. You can trust him with your life.”

Something in her eyes expressed scorn at such a preposterous promise coming from a complete stranger.

“Hey,” Nadech looked her straight in the eyes, “I risked my life for you once. And so did you. It wasn’t in vain for either of us, so trust me on this. I want to help you.”

-------------
Sighing, Om gave it a rest. He had been unsuccessfully trying to make conversation with the girl, probing for a bit of information so he could get to know her more, but it was all in vain. She seemed uninterested in his questions and almost determined to keep herself a secret. Sitting back, he ran through what had just happened. Would this backfire? What if everything didn’t work out or ended in disaster? Well, it would be his job to avoid that, no matter what Nadech’s actions brought upon them. After all, like he’d said, they couldn’t turn back now. Time, he thought, could never be turned backwards…

[3 years ago]
“Om,” she said in a stern voice.

“You’ll find out very soon. Be patient.” He led her by the hand to a table. He then undid the blindfold. A gasp emerged from her lips at the sight. Rose petals dusted the grass, their scent perfuming the air with sweetness. A candlelit dinner was displayed in front of them and beyond that was the glorious sunset, blinding them with beauty.

She slowly took her eyes from the romantic scene to look at him. He kneeled before her, taking her hand.

“Will you marry me?”
[end]

Om’s vision of the love of his life vanished in a poof of air, replaced very suddenly by the one next to him in reality. She stared straight ahead of her, uninterested in the scenery or anything else inside the train. Was she in shock? Om questioned whether Nadech knew what he’d gotten himself into, taking this child from her home.

Try as he might, Om failed to keep his eyes off of her. She resembled the person from his own past.

They were waiting for a cab. The man who she had come with was on the phone, very obviously irritated. Rassa’s eyes wandered away, falling upon the edge of the street, cars zooming with a speed that would surely have no mercy for a fragile human body that got in their way. Her feet brought the street closer and closer until all she had to do was take one more step and she would be traveling a different path, one that would bring her to her parents.

Suddenly, her breath was taken away when her vision shifted to see across the street and a face shimmered into focus. What was her jinx doing here? The intensity of his eyes froze her in her spot. She blinked; he disappeared, and so did her desire to walk in front of the cars, distracted by her eyes’ trickery.

Om twisted his mouth at his cell phone, anxious that Nadech had not yet contacted him. When he looked up, he didn’t see the girl, and quickly turned around. There she was.

“Come,” he led her by the arm to the sidewalk. What Om failed to notice was the eyes of several people paying attention to the sight of him. Just what could be going on in the Theerada family, the people thought.

Looking over her shoulder, Rassa saw…no one again. He wasn’t there.

-------------
“Please make yourself comfortable,” he had told her. Well the bedroom he proclaimed was now hers certainly did look comfortable. She decided to sit on the bed and found herself sinking into the plush material. Before closing her eyes, she recalled the man’s face, the one who had rescued her, and his voice calling her. She fell into a dreamless sleep.

“Mister Om, may I inquire who the young lady is?” The head house manager, Kat, asked.

Om paused as he pulled out different work portfolios, then answered, “Why do you want to know?” Learning the answer was hard enough for himself, without Nadech here to make things clear.

“Simply so I understand her status or how she is to be treated in this house.”

“She is a guest. Treat her as well as you would treat me.”

“Yes sir.”

“Have the doctor drop by to make sure of her health.”

Kat inclined her head.

Om looked up and called for the person outside of his room to come in. The doctor and Kat entered.

“Doctor, thank you for coming.”

“My pleasure. The patient is fine at the moment. I’m concerned however because her temperature is rising just the slightest, so please keep close watch and call me if she grows sick.” Doctor’s lips thinned. “I also don’t like the way her mental state is in. If this continues, she might become depressed.”

“What do you suggest?”

“Keep her happy. Distract her from her sadness, and make sure she stays with people she trusts. Make sure she isn’t left alone often,” the doctor concluded.

“Is that clear Kat?”

“Yes sir. I’ll keep the young lady company. Er, what is her name?”

Kat and the doctor glanced curiously at Om.

Om recalled back to when Nadech had said her name. “Yaya,” he answered briefly, not offering any more information.

Rassa woke up and heard movement nearby. She pushed herself up, rubbing her eyes to clear her vision and realized someone else was in the room.

“Oh, you’re awake!” A lady dressed in uniform approached her bed. “The Master had me prepare clothing for you so excuse me for entering your room without permission.”

Looking around, it dawned on Rassa that she wasn’t home any longer. “My room…?”

“Oh look, you even have a nice balcony too. It’s very beautiful, and you can see the garden. By the way, my name is Kat. If you need anything, just let me know.” The very energetic Kat laid out the clothes, a simple summer dress and cardigan. “You should shower then I’ll bring up your breakfast and afterward, I’ll show you around the house.”

Before Kat left, Rassa asked, “Where am I?”

Kat furrowed her brow in disbelief. “Why, you’re in Mister Om’s house. Go on and freshen up before breakfast.”

-------------
Om winced. He shouldn’t have recounted the doctor’s orders to Nadech.

“Please P’Om. It’s not too hard right? Can you just…” Nadech was distracted for a moment by his lawyer, “just bring her out to eat or something. Keep her active, that’s what’s good for her right? I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

Sighing, Om set his phone down. He wasn’t impossibly busy, but he wasn’t sure he wanted to be spending time with the girl. But he’d given Nadech his word and it wasn’t like it would hurt him.

Rassa picked up her fork for the tenth time after having unconsciously put it down. She didn’t want to appear discourteous. And yet, she barely had any appetite for the food laid out before them or in the fancy restaurant they were currently in.

Om was well aware of her disinterest. The food was not a priority for him either, for he was too busy searching her face. The girl didn’t even look that much like Araya, but certain features paired their faces and it deeply disturbed him. She sat listlessly, and he thought he should say something to make her not feel uncomfortable.

Om cleared his throat. “I…” he paused, “I’m sorry, this must feel very strange to suddenly be in a place you’ve never seen before. I thought maybe you knew my brother, so there wouldn’t be any problem.”

She gave a noncommittal “Mm.”

So apparently she and Nadech didn’t know each other very well. “Uh, that time when he…when you two…” he sighed. “I just want to let you know that I’m thankful for you saving his life.”

Rassa stopped pretending to eat and returned his gaze. “Oh.”

“He IS my brother. I don’t want to imagine life without him so…our family is in your debt.”

She would have shaken her head if it mattered, but the fact was, there was no debt to repay. HE had saved her first.

After a while when they were both obviously not hungry, Om decided for them to return home.

They reached the house and Om tried again. “If you want, I can show you around town tomorrow.”

It wasn’t an especially big city but big and different enough to have interested her if she had been in the mood for sight-seeing. The problem was, Rassa couldn’t find the lost energy she had before everything in her life went downhill. “It’s okay. You must be busy.”

He opened his mouth but had no time to give his offer again. Kat had appeared and the girl followed her in. Well, at least he’d tried.

-------------
Note: Within this chapter and the next one or two chapters, Yaya's character refers to herself mentally as Rassa, while the name Yaya is used in Nadech's and others' point of view. It will become Yaya permanently soon and you will know when it does.

@ukepearl, @kennann fan: Thanks for dropping by!

this is Nak Charlie ^^
http://asianfuse.net/discuzz/index.php/topic/50586-nak-charlie/

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
:thanks: so much jjinxxy!

Ohh, I felt so bad for Yaya but at least she got away from that dirty old man!

It's really good. I can't wait to read for more.... more scenes between Yadech please. I am dying for more interaction between them....

jjinxx

Chapter 5

Rassa felt so out of place. Even though she had always lived a comfortable life, her family wasn’t filthy rich to the point that they had house servants. And her parents had sheltered her well. But never had she been under someone else’s close care before. She cooked and cleaned and studied—though she’d dropped out of her second year of college after her engagement.

Here, at this house, people were tending to her needs every hour of the day and Kat never left her side. She might even carry her if Rassa requested it. But Rassa couldn’t be too bothered since she didn’t feel she had the right or energy to touch anything in the house to use for herself. In the three days since her arrival, she had kept mostly to herself anyway.

One afternoon, her curiosity appeared abruptly. “Kat, where is your master?” Her voice sounded slightly hoarse and weak from disuse.

“Mister Om is arriving home at six in the evening.”

“I mean the other one.”

“Oh, Mister Nadech. I haven’t been told if he is returning from work yet. Do you know him too?”

Rassa hadn’t seen her savior since leaving home. Om, whom she learned was kin of her savior, might know but for some reason, she was hesitant to speak in front of him. And more than once she had caught his eyes on her in a way that seemed like he was pitying her and at the same time, accusing her of something.
For a moment, she had even considered if she had imagined the man who had dropped into her life so suddenly, but seeing the photos around the house told her that he very much existed. A man almost thirty years, with deep eyes like his brother and a strong chin.

“Miss Yaya—“

“Why do you call me that?” She had noticed when Om called her that name once, but she hadn’t thought to contradict him.

Kat gave her strange look. “Why, isn’t it your name?”

Just for a moment she had forgotten her new christening. Something took her back to that miserable day in the hospital, when Nak had died. Ah yes, Mister Nadech had asked her name. Yaya, he had said. She mentally shrugged at it. She hadn’t found it necessary to correct HIM then, so why make a big deal out of it to the others now? Besides, Rassa’s life might as well be over. She unconsciously resigned herself to being “Yaya” in this house.

“Anyway, Mister Nadech’s been busy with work lately. I heard from Anon that there were problems with some land he bought so he’s taking care of that. But don’t you worry about him miss.”

Worry? It wasn’t as if they were familiar with each other enough for Ra--Yaya to miss or be worried about ‘Mister’ Nadech. That is, if you didn’t count their history of saving each other’s lives. Yaya felt odd when considering that she could save a total stranger’s life yet not have the power to save her loved ones.

They were sitting on a bench when Yaya looked up and noticed two other servants quickly look away from her direction, clearly trying to hide that they had just been peeking at and talking about her. Kat leaned toward her.

“Don’t mind them miss. Rarely anything exciting happens in this house anymore, so your presence has sparked gossip.” She hesitated, blushing apologetically. “Sorry, I don’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable. It’s just that none of us know the relationship between you and Mister Om.”

“We don’t have one,” was her blunt reply.

Kat giggled. “You don’t have to tell me. It’s none of my business, I suppose. But of course you two have some kind of relationship. Om doesn’t simply take in people who are nothing to him.”

Yaya thought silently. Between Kat’s two masters, Yaya would have more of a relationship with the one called Nadech. But if that even made any sense, and if they meant something to each other then why hadn’t they seen each other since she arrived?

“Shall we go inside now? You look a bit pale.”

Yaya blinked hard to chase away a headache.

They had just reached the living area when another maid rushed in looking flustered. “Mother has returned!”

“What!?” Kat exclaimed.

“Who?” asked Yaya.

“Mother. She’s Misters Om and Nadech’s mom, Madame Duenchai, but everyone calls her Mother.” Kat looked back at her colleague. “Are you sure she’s back?”

“Do you not recognize me, Kat?” They turned to see the elder lady make her way into the room. Her gray hair was pulled back in an elegant bun that framed a gentle face with wise eyes. She stopped in front of Yaya. “So you’re the girl I heard about, the one my son has taken in?”

“Yes ma’am. This is Miss Yaya,” Kat introduced.

“Kat, bring me tea. Sit,” Mother ordered at Yaya. “Tell me, where are you from?”

“Chiang Mai.”

“When did you and my son meet?”

“Which one?”

She quirked an unamused brow. “Om.”

“Perhaps…three days ago.”

Mother pursed her lips. “That’s a rather short time to have grown so close.” Mother continued. “If I heard correctly, you are engaged?”

“Yes.”

“What about your fiancé?”

“He’s dead.”

Yaya saw the color leave her face, as if that subject hit a little too close to home. Perhaps ‘Mother’ had lost a fiancé once in her life?

“Be honest with me. What is going on between you and my son?”

“Honestly, your elder son and I have no relationship,” she answered the same way she’d done with Kat.

Mother appeared obviously dissatisfied with that answer. “Why are you here?”

“You’ll have to ask your son. The younger one.”

Mother swept her eyes over the girl in front of her, who didn’t blink away or squirm. She sat like a doll who wanted to dive back into an unfeeling world.

Yaya shuffled back to her bedroom alone. Along the way, she passed a large gold-framed family photo of a man, a woman and two younger men. Her eyes landed on her jinx.

“What AM I doing here?” she asked him out loud. “Why did you have your brother bring me here and then abandon me? Why did I trust you?”

“Yaya?”

She had to keep reminding herself that she was called Yaya now. She turned to see Om at the top of the stairs.

“How are you feeling?”

“Fine,” was her habitual reply.

“Good. Get plenty of rest.”

Remembering his hospitality, Yaya replied, “Thank you.”

As she continued on her way, she got the feeling that he was still watching her every move. She reached her room and thought deeply that she didn’t belong here. She needed to get out, and find her way back to Chiang Mai and help get Mark free. Once they were together again, everything would be alright. He would protect her.

“Miss Yaya!” Kat let herself in. “I thought you should know that Mister Nadech has returned. You were wondering about him right?”

Yaya silently gazed out the large window as Kat said, “Mother said I should help prepare a meal for them since it’s been a while since all three of them were together like this. She also said you are to join them downstairs for dinner. I’ll come get you when it’s time, okay?”

After Kat left, Yaya frowned. It was now or never. Nothing good could come out of seeing that man’s face again. She should escape while she still had the time alone. A sudden adrenaline rushed through her as she finally had a plan to put into action. Yaya peeled the bed sheets off and knotted the corners together. She locked her door, then peered cautiously out on the balcony. With no one in view, she tied her bed sheets to the balcony and held onto the other end.

Checking once more to make sure no one was around, Yaya took a deep breath and let the rest of the sheets drop down. She climbed over the railing. Just as her feet landed on the outer edge, a large bird swooped from the sky and skimmed near her body. Yaya cringed and her feet shuffled over so that she wouldn’t lose balance. Her left foot knocked over one of the flower pots lining the balcony off its ledge. The following crash from three stories below echoed loudly in her ears. Surely someone else had heard it too.

Yaya looked down, her heart was thundering profusely. She felt a drop of sweat tickle down her temple. She was only on the third floor and yet, the level was so high, so far away from the tiled floor beneath. Her nerves got the better of her, her vertigo tilted for two seconds, her vision danced with black spots under the descending sun.

After hearing a crash, Nadech had gone around the house to inspect what was the commotion. He ran the last few steps to stand under the balcony, stomach reeling when the girl lost her footing. He watched as the impossible happened—her hands clawed at the length of sheets and held on tightly. But the sheets were no match for her sudden weight, so it began to tear. Nadech ground his teeth at the sound of the tearing sheets, ripping panic through him. He saw that she was petrified, too scared to move or pull herself up, so instead she remained in mid-air.

There was only one thing to do.

“Let go!”

Yaya squeezed her eyes tightly shut. Let go? What would happen? She would meet the same fate as that flower pot! What to do…

“Let go!”

No, why should she obey this crazy order?

“I’ll catch you!”

Her hands were burning, the very same hands that used to be able to touch her loved ones. They were useless and powerless right now. Everybody was gone and she couldn’t even trust herself.

“Trust me!”

This crazy situation was her own fault. And yet…

'I don’t want to die,' she thought.

“I swear on my life I’ll catch you!”

Yaya’s clenched hands opened up. She let go. Someone broke her fall, then they both collapsed to the ground. Voices surrounded them, exclaiming in frightened tones.

Nadech cradled the girl in his arms as she clung to him as if she expected for the ground to open up and she would just keep on falling. He felt her trembling and her arms were clasped so tightly around his neck that he could almost not breathe.

“Nadech, what’s going on?” Om squeezed between the servants and looked down upon the pair. “What happened?” He took in the sight of the dangling sheets and the shattered flower pot and rounded on the servants. “What’s the matter with you all? Why did no one see this? Kat,” he barked, “didn’t I order you to not leave her?”

Nadech struggled to get up because the girl wouldn’t let go. In the end, he gathered her in his arms and carried her. Her body felt unusually warm. “P’Om, I have to get her inside.”

-------------
Mother sat down facing her sons. “The doctor said the girl wouldn’t let him check for injuries but that judging from her movements, nothing appears to be seriously hurt.” She pursed her lips at Nadech. “Son, who is she? Why did you have your brother bring her into our house?”

“I’d also like to hear some answers,” Om said. “And where have you been for the past couple of days, not even answering your phone?”

“I’ve been setting up a lawsuit against Pope Surongtakul.”

“What?” his mom asked sharply.

“He renounced our contract. We’re not getting the land. That was what he was going to tell us at the meeting that was canceled.”

“Where are you going?” Madame asked while Om was distracted by this business news.

“I’m checking up on her. She didn’t look so well.”

“Come make things clear to me.”

Nadech paused at the door. “Mom, the important thing is that she needs to be protected.”

“From whom?”

“Her family.”

“Nadech, that makes no sense! Are you telling me that you took her away without her family’s permission? Is that why she was trying to escape earlier?”

“NO mom,” he said calmly, starting up the stairs. “You don’t understand—“

“Damn right I don’t. What does she have to do with anything related to your business or to our family?”

“P’Om, I’m expecting Pope to come looking for her sooner or later. He knows she left with me from the hospital. But we can’t let him have her. He’s,” Nadech shook his head, “I met him with our lawyer and I can already tell that he’s ruthless. She’s not safe with him.”

“You speak like it's your purpose to protect her,” Mother commented, an edge of suspicion in her words.

He sighed. “Mom, she saved my life. The least I can do is repay her.” With that, he left the two of them.

Madame turned to Om. “What is he talking about? I looked into her background and she has no relation with Nadech. What did he mean?”

Om averted his eyes. He and Nadech planned not to tell their mom about Nadech’s near-death experience but it couldn’t be helped now. “Mom, brace yourself. When Nadech was in Chiang Mai previously…”

Nadech reached the bedroom and ordered the servants out. When he closed the door, he caught Yaya trying to walk past him.

“Let me go. I don’t want to be here anymore.”

He let go of her wrist and placed his hands on his hips, pacing forward so that she had to back away. “If that’s what you want, you simply have to answer my questions. Do you have money? Do you have a place to stay? Do you have people who you trust?”

“I…I don’t…” Yaya shook her head to clear it. “I can go back home.”

“The one that burned down?” Nadech stopped right after asking, seeing her frozen expression of grief. “I mean…”

She hardened her eyes.

He then continued, “Or were you thinking of returning to your fiance’s family?” There was no time to be soft with her. He had to get her to accept that she wasn’t safe outside of this house. As expected, Yaya’s face fell into uncertainty, so he knew she was remembering her near assault with the old man. “Since your answer is no to all of my questions, I’m afraid I can’t let you walk out of here. I have money, so I can give you what you need. I have a home and…” he met her eyes, “you can trust me.”

“But I don’t.”

“Really? You seemed to trust me when you were dangling for dear life earlier.”

“That was…I didn’t do what you asked because I wanted your help.”

“Are you saying that you let go because you wanted to end your life? Because that makes you suicidal and you’ll definitely need to be in the care of someone mature.”

“I’m not a child. You can’t keep me here.”

He stopped her by the arm. “Where do you think you’re going?”

“Let go.”

“You have no one to help you,” he declared.

“I have Mark!”

Nadech raised a brow. “Where is he?”

In jail. Yaya would have wept her heart out all over again, but that would only give Nadech more reason to force her to stay.

“As long as you have no one else, I have become your guardian. You cannot leave without my permission.”

“So instead of being a guest, I’ve become a prisoner?” she seethed.

“My prisoner, to be exact. Call it what you want, but this is for your own good. Do you really want to go back to your aunt, uncle, and cousin?”

She knew they didn’t want her. Only Mint loved her, and she didn’t have the power to help Yaya. What was the most heartbreaking was experiencing the lack of sympathy from her aunt and uncle, whom she’d always respected. They hadn’t come to her parents’ funeral, nor did they hold in their grudge that they had to take care of Yaya.

“No, I don’t want to go back.” Why couldn’t she even rely on her own blood relatives in her time of need? Why do they hate me? She swayed to the side, her head pounding, heat creeping through her skin.

“Yaya,” Nadech reached for her as she grew unsteady.

Why? Why are my parents gone? Why am I here? Why am I yours now? Before her consciousness left her, Yaya felt his arms and thought, why was he always there for her to fall into?

-------------
Thanks for reading! This story will not be instantly gratifying I'm afraid, but I will definitely work in as much romance as possible, that really is my intent.

jjinxx

shengvang

sarNie Adult
I'm loving it jjinxx. Your story is always so good andbvery interesting. I'm wondering if Om likes yaya to. I have so much questions in my head but, it will be answer as the story goes on. Thanks for the up date na ja. Can't wait to read more!