Spanking Raises Chances of Risky, Deviant Sexual Behavior

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I just saw this a minute ago and thought it was interesting.

THURSDAY, Feb. 28 (HealthDay News) -- Researchers have uncovered another damaging consequence of spanking: risky sexual behaviors, or even sexual deviancy, when the child grows up.

"This adds one more harmful side effect to spanking," said Murray Straus, a spanking expert who was expected to present the findings of four studies at the American Psychological Association's Summit on Violence and Abuse in Relationships in Bethesda, Md., on Thursday.

"I think that it's pretty powerful," said Elizabeth Gershoff, an assistant professor at the University of Michigan's School of Social Work. "It's across several studies and across different forms of either risky or deviant sexual behavior."

Straus, who was the author of all four studies, hopes the findings will raise awareness among child development experts.

"My hope is to convince my colleagues that they ought to put this in their textbooks," said Straus, co-director of the Family Research Laboratory at the University of New Hampshire, in Durham. "It's amazing. Something experienced by all American kids gets an average of half a page in child development textbooks, and not a single one comes to the conclusion that parents should never spank."
For the full article click on the link.

Article

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
lol reason they never come to the conclusion taht parents never should spank is because spanking does a chidl good haha, a child steals soemthing and you beat the shit out of his ass you think he gonna do it again, hells no

Liberty

sarNie Adult
lol reason they never come to the conclusion taht parents never should spank is because spanking does a chidl good haha, a child steals soemthing and you beat the shit out of his ass you think he gonna do it again, hells no
Didn't the article conclude that you shouldn't spank a child?
They said that corporal (physical discipline) punishment isn't better or worse than non-corporal punishment (NOT physical discipline) in terms of discipline (getting your point across in other words). But the article says that with corporal punishment there are side effects (hence the title) so it's better to not spank a child.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Yeah; I remember someone telling me that spanking is an effective way to get through to your kids. I was like no way. My parents never spanked me or physically disciplined me when as I grew up, nor did they towards my little sisters. I may not be the perfect daughter and the best daughter, but at least I don't give my parents trouble? I help them out with what I can. I think it's about what you teach and tell them as they grow. My parents drilled in our heads that we don't have to be squeaky clean, but as long as our actions don't cause damage or hurt someone else lol then it's fine. My dad always told me when I asked could I do drugs,

"go right ahead as long as you don't use any of my money to buy it. Everything you make is considered my money, because that's all the money that your making up for me raising you."

A lot of people were like your encouraging her to do drugs. My dad's like no I'm not. Unless she can make all the money that I gave to her and supported her with until this age she won't have the money to buy drugs. Then they would ask "what if she makes that and much more as an adult. your encouraging her to work to be able to buy drugs."

My dad laughed, "how is that bad? she would be successful wouldn't she?"

I know it sounds a little extreme lol to be telling us that, but it works. My sisters and I never once thought about doing drugs really. Sure I asked, but only to be silly. If my parents would have spanked us I think it would have caused resentment in our minds due to the way they raised us. My cousins family were physically disciplined to the extreme as kids they grew up along side us. All of them are about the same ages as my sister and I. They have no motivation in life. No common sense. Their mom spent to much time trying to get her point across then actually getting her point across.

Bleh sounds like a lot of nonsense, but shrugs lol

Liberty

sarNie Adult
lol...that drug story is too funny. You're dad is a smart man, he used logic.
My dad used reverse psychology on me, which sucks for the guys I date because I picked up all sorts of tricks from daddy. :lol:
When I had to babysat my cousins growing up and couldn't get them to behave by asking them to, I just used a little mind game and pretended to be sad and cry. They'd ask me what's wrong, concern on their little faces. I'd be like, "I'm sad because you guys are being so naughty, you're hurting my feelings, do you want to hurt my feelings? Do you like seeing my sad?" and they'd be like "no, don't be sad, don't cry." lol They'd give me a hug and stay good and quiet the rest of the day. A little evil but whatever, it worked. :p

Yeah; I remember someone telling me that spanking is an effective way to get through to your kids. I was like no way. My parents never spanked me or physically disciplined me when as I grew up, nor did they towards my little sisters. I may not be the perfect daughter and the best daughter, but at least I don't give my parents trouble? I help them out with what I can. I think it's about what you teach and tell them as they grow. My parents drilled in our heads that we don't have to be squeaky clean, but as long as our actions don't cause damage or hurt someone else lol then it's fine. My dad always told me when I asked could I do drugs,

"go right ahead as long as you don't use any of my money to buy it. Everything you make is considered my money, because that's all the money that your making up for me raising you."

A lot of people were like your encouraging her to do drugs. My dad's like no I'm not. Unless she can make all the money that I gave to her and supported her with until this age she won't have the money to buy drugs. Then they would ask "what if she makes that and much more as an adult. your encouraging her to work to be able to buy drugs."

My dad laughed, "how is that bad? she would be successful wouldn't she?"

I know it sounds a little extreme lol to be telling us that, but it works. My sisters and I never once thought about doing drugs really. Sure I asked, but only to be silly. If my parents would have spanked us I think it would have caused resentment in our minds due to the way they raised us. My cousins family were physically disciplined to the extreme as kids they grew up along side us. All of them are about the same ages as my sister and I. They have no motivation in life. No common sense. Their mom spent to much time trying to get her point across then actually getting her point across.

Bleh sounds like a lot of nonsense, but shrugs lol

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
lol...that drug story is too funny. You're dad is a smart man, he used logic.
My dad used reverse psychology on me, which sucks for the guys I date because I picked up all sorts of tricks from daddy. :lol:
When I had to babysat my cousins growing up and couldn't get them to behave by asking them to, I just used a little mind game and pretended to be sad and cry. They'd ask me what's wrong, concern on their little faces. I'd be like, "I'm sad because you guys are being so naughty, you're hurting my feelings, do you want to hurt my feelings? Do you like seeing my sad?" and they'd be like "no, don't be sad, don't cry." lol They'd give me a hug and stay good and quiet the rest of the day. A little evil but whatever, it worked. :p
lol omg girl I use to do that too! I use to use it on my sisters also. LOL I used it on boyfriends to hahaha. Yeah my dad's a smart man. A lot of things that he has taught me as I grew up I'll drill into my kids to. The thing I love about my dad is he raises us to be realistic and not naive. Unlike my cousins who are all naive. They can't do anything with my sisters and I. We're their support group. My little cousin still thinks she's getting into harvard <_< when her GPA is a 3.3 and She has close to 0 extracurricular.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Damn. Is her dad rich? Maybe he can write a fat donation to Harvard so she can get in.

Yeah, it's going to be super hard, nearly impossible to get into Harvard with a less than perfect GPA and no extracurricular activities and/or volunteer work. Unless she writes an awesome essay as to why she should get in and I mean it has to be AWESOME.

lol omg girl I use to do that too! I use to use it on my sisters also. LOL I used it on boyfriends to hahaha. Yeah my dad's a smart man. A lot of things that he has taught me as I grew up I'll drill into my kids to. The thing I love about my dad is he raises us to be realistic and not naive. Unlike my cousins who are all naive. They can't do anything with my sisters and I. We're their support group. My little cousin still thinks she's getting into harvard <_< when her GPA is a 3.3 and She has close to 0 extracurricular.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Damn. Is her dad rich? Maybe he can write a fat donation to Harvard so she can get in.

Yeah, it's going to be super hard, nearly impossible to get into Harvard with a less than perfect GPA and no extracurricular activities and/or volunteer work. Unless she writes an awesome essay as to why she should get in and I mean it has to be AWESOME.

Lol nope her dad isn't super rich :p and awesome essay? she can barely do a report; I've read some of her essay's and it was like what the heck is she trying to say.. My dad told me when I told him I was gonna apply to one of the top schools,

"don't be disappointed if you don't get in, you choose your path during your 4 years in high school, you know what would get you where you want, if you don't get it you must've done something wrong, go back and fix it, but don't ever cry or get disappointed, I didn't raise you to be hopeless." then he told me

"unless you are planning to be a doctor, lawyer, don't even consider an ivy league school, your just wasting your time. An ivy league school just have their name and their merit. It doesn't always mean they will have the best in what you want."

i would never spank my children... i never once was laid a hand upon growing up and all the so-called "morals", etc. that people want to teach kids, got through to me...

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
my mom hits me i think it made me more agressive yall kno coz now i tend to hit back and i hit ma sister for no reason at all i uno maybe i just like fighting ma mom still tries to hit me even now and im 17! buh some how she dont hit me coz im tha stronger person out of tha both of us and tha taller haha i dnt think hitting is good at all it hurts haha i remember gettin hit by my moms husband and i was knocked out proberly why im so dumb right now.. buh i dnt only used to get hit buh hands it used to be bamboo sticks and stuff and they would break when they hit me

fun

Expired Sarnie
I was spank a lot throughout my adolescent years and I turn out good. In situation spanking does work but I have seen some that have gone overboard with the spanking, and it is no longer spanking, to me it was abusive behavior. Yes, I gave my fair share of causing my parent problems but they weren’t crimes. The professional says spank doesn’t work but it worked on me. I was not hit severely or anything.