Studying abroad in China...

max

sarNie Elites
I applied and got accepted into a study abroad program through my university. If I will be going to China and attending Sichuan University for 2 quarters, Fall 2009 and Winter 2010. Well, my parents, or my mom, is completely against me going, but she says that if that is something that I really want, then she is not stopping me, but she said that for her to be happy and say "Yes, you can go," she said that that would not happen. She truly cannot understand why I want to go and can only come up with reasons that I do not want to hear (and I honestly think that most of them are ridiculous reasons, which I am not going to share). I understand that she is very worried about me, but I really wish that she would support me in doing something that I really want to do. Do not get me wrong. I love my mom more than life itself. She always supports and understand me, but this one time, she just cannot. I am a "daddy's girl", so my dad just told me to make sure that my credits will transfer and that everything is safe, then I can go, but I am not sure if he is just saying that because he does not want to say "no" to me? Anyways, most of my siblings think that I should not go either because it will be very hard, which is true because attending a university in the states and knowing English will, education is still very hard, imagine attending a university in another country and being taught by a Chinese professor who may not know English too well? I am not sure. At the same time, all of my cousins and friends say that I should take advantage of this chance while I am still young and still is a student.

Would you go if you were me? The only thing that I am really worried about is my financial situation. Even though I will get some help from financial aid and from my parents, it will still not be enough, so, I will be spending pretty much my whole savings on this study abroad. At the same time, this is something that I have always dreamed of doing, studying abroad in China and doing research among the Miao people. So I guess I just want to take some thoughts from "strangers" since I have discussed this with my family and friends.

1) Would you go if you were me?
2) Would you go even if you had to take out some loans and spend all of your savings (with the fact that this is something that you have truly always wanted to do, even though you can use your savings on something else like buying a car)?

Ahh... just please give me all of your thoughts on this! I would appreciate it so much! Thank you!

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I would go if i were you since you have a real desire and interest in researching about the country and what not. If you went there to party like one of my friends is doing in Korea right now, then I say fuck it and don't go lol. I'm so disappointed in her. In that case it would be a waste of your money.

About taking out loans or spending your savings, do you have an exact number already for how much your expenses are going to be? You don't want to take out loans that you don't need. I guess it's kinda like deciding to attend grad school. It's super expensive, but do you think your returns in the end after your invested inputs are worth it? If the benefits outweigh your costs, then by all means, do go girl!

As for your parents, I think they're worried because you're a girl so they think you will be vulnerable especially in a foreign country. How old are you by the way?

Plus, you'll only be spending two quarters there not a whole year and it's amazing how quickly two quarters go by. Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope you make a wise decision that you won't regret :).

max

sarNie Elites
Thank you for reply Nai_1_1. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my situation and even to respond with comments.

Actually, I am in the process of finding out how much it is going to cost overall and how much financial aid will be helping me. Because it is a direct exchange, the financial aid that I receive will be applied towards this study abroad, which is a good thing, but then again, I am not sure how much they will help me. Yes, I really do not want to take out loans, but if I have to, then I guess I will have to. I guess the only way to make me feel better is that at least I am not taking out loans to spend it on clothes and electronics like my cousin did? LOL.

Actually, my major is biology. I will just be taking general courses while I am there, which I still need to graduate anyways. Very importantly, I am required to plan and complete a research project, which ties into what I want to do in the future with my degree. I want to work in the health field, so my project will be dealing with the health of children in different villages in China.

Yes, you are right. One of the reasons that they are rally worried is because I am a girl, and my mom made that clear to me several times. I admit that I am scared, but I will never know if I never try. I am getting old. I am 19, but will be turning 20 really soon : )

XCappy

Mr. Char
1) Would you go if you were me ?

I'd reformulate this one : "Would you go ?". My question will be yes. I went to China in 2004 and Taiwan in 2008. I have Asian blood in me, esp. Chinese, and one of my dreams is to leave France for a moment to work somewhere in Asia and to start a new life with a new atmosphere, so my answer will be really subjective. I haven't visited Sichuan province yet. I just have many contacts here and you don't need to worry about this province : It is really safe. From what I learned about this province, people are nice and the province is calm compared to the dynamic of some cities such as Shanghai or Beijing. Getting an international experience is always a good point. I've travelled to many countries and it helped me a lot to be much more open when I interact with other people. Actually, If you want to do something, if you are motivated enough, you should take this opportunity and go there.

2) Would you go even if you had to take out some loans and spend all of your savings (with the fact that this is something that you have truly always wanted to do, even though you can use your savings on something else like buying a car)?

As Nai suggested, you can think about the Return On Investment if you worry a lot about finance. But if I take your example, I'll play another game :

Using the money to go to China, and then you'll see when you'll be graduated. Let's consider I have the driving licence, and that I am using my parents' car. Of course I'll need my own car later, but why not going to China first, you spend the money the way you want to spend it, and when you'll be back to America, you can think about buying a new car with another saving session. Because when you'll be in China, I don't think you'll drive anything there. Your solutions will be trains, buses, an eventual boyfriend's car, or foot walk inside the school campus to attend class or labs. China is cheap compared to our countries, so you can have lots of fun even if you are tight with your purse.

Anyway, I don't even know if I made myself clear, I wish you good luck ! And I forgot to add, maybe a capital information : I am a dude. If you decide to go to Sichuan, and if you want to meet people, just let me know, I can ask my contacts to meet you, and of course, they are all girls, I'm not trying to arrange some weird affairs :lol:.

This is an opportunity you just cannot miss! I suggest that you go abroad. During my sophomore summer at NYU as an undergrad, I took the chance and went to study abroad at the Paris campus and oh my god, it was so worth it! I was nervous about going to study there, even if just for the summer, but I don't ever regret it. Ever since I was a child, I always loved to travel because my dad always took me on vacations to Europe, Asia, etc., so I just developed an affinity for it. After I complete my residency, I'm seriously trying to see if I could secure a position (temporarily -- a few years) in Japan or Thailand. It would be such an amazing experience to live and work directly there.

Anyways, before I went to study in Paris, I was certainly nervous, and I'm fluent in French, if that says anything. My dad, too, was hyped about it and completely relaxed about it, but my mother was so worried. She didn't really want me to go either; she's always been protective of me, but I guess I took gradual steps disengaging from her protective sphere. First I moved to New York (from CA), then I spent some time away in France, and in a few years, halfway across the world. Lol. Seriously though, studying abroad is such an unforgettable and remarkable experience; you meet new people, immerse yourself in a whole new culture, everything.

By the way, are you Chinese, or are you fluent in Chinese?

rakcharm

sarNie Juvenile
i say go for it! u can always make more money later. besides, i think for only 2 quarters it shouldn't cost u that much considering china is kinda cheap. i've always wanted to go to china to study the language but never got to due to all the above reasons u mention. so i say do what u want to when u can cuz if u wait u mite have other things in life that'll keep u from it.

max

sarNie Elites
Thank you to everyone who replied! I appreciate your thoughts and will definitely take them into consideration in making my choice. Well, I have already made my decision yesterday that I am going to go for sure. I think I was so caught up in thinking about all of the "What if(s)," but I think that I will find myself regretting rejecting this offer 10 years later in my life. Although I am very scared and do not know what to expect, I admit that I am crazily excited to study abroad and go study the Miao like I have always dreamed of doing!

About the car thing, I actually attend a university in another city (Seattle) where my main transportation is by bus. I am way too scared to drive here because the traffic is so heavy. Not only that, but if I had a car here, I would have to pay nearly $400 a quarter to park my car in the garage. Ridiculous? Super ridiculous! At least I think so! Haha. Anyhow, I would not buy a car until I graduated anyways.

XCappy, you are so funny. "Weird affairs." Haha. Anyhow thank you so much for giving me information and offering your contacts. I will definitely keep that in mind : )

I am not Chinese. I am Hmong and currently have zero Chinese. LOL. I will be taking an intensive Chinese summer course (putting 3 quarters of Chinese into 1 quarter). So by then, I will technically have 1 year of Chinese and will be taking more Chinese classes while I am there.

kulyia

RUK
go for it. 2 semesters right? or quarter? Well even so, Go. remember to try some Jian bing and take pixs :drool:

max

sarNie Elites
go for it. 2 semesters right? or quarter? Well even so, Go. remember to try some Jian bing and take pixs :drool:
My university goes by a quarter system, but there it is a semester system. I guess 2 quarters is suppose to equal to 1 semester? At least I think that is how it will work for this. What is "jian bing" by the way?! Hehe. Yes, I am planning to set up a blog so my family and friends can be updated with my life while I am there, but if anybody is interested, I can post up the link once I get that set-up and running : )

max

sarNie Elites
I just YouTubed it, and it looks so good! I will definitely try it when I am there! Thank you for suggesting!

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
you should go for it... it's a once in a lifetime opportunity...

my sis regrets not going to it... my sis n cuz applied to it and both made it like a year or 2 ago but.. too much family problems.. so in the end.. they couldn't go... they both regret it too...

but argh.. i still think she should've gone.. that way she wouldn't have her boyfriend now.. he's so annoying >_<.. argh... lmao.. haha i'm so evil hehe...

max

sarNie Elites
LOL... you are so funny.

Yes, I am afraid that I will look back and regret it really bad, too! I am definitely not going to let that happen! : )

g3mini00

sarNie Juvenile
i think you should not give up this chance, anyway it's a good opportunity to experience another culture, maybe learn another language.

darvil

sarNie Adult
It'll be better if you learn Chinese first but then again, there's nothing better then being immersed in the society.

I myself am planning to go to China myself but after a year of Chinese. My Uni doesn't have Chinese so I will have to go take it at a liberal arts college here (pretty damn expensive school!). I am going more for a vacation though so the Chinese isn't as important.

I have to say thought, just keep away from dumb stuff and you'll be fine. Experiencing the genuine culture is something that will evolve you and change you for the better. Honestly I meet people here who are so one dimensional it makes me sad. I wish some people quest for some enlightenment and not be so narrow. Hopefully you will absorb everything about China, including the bad.

BTW 3 quarters = 2 semester. For example here, doing a semester = 1.5 of the credits of the quarter system. They would be the same ultimately.

max

sarNie Elites
Darvil, what a coincidence. I was looking at my contract and this is what it says:

Exchange Fee/semester-long exchanges = 1.5 qtrs UW tuition***

I am still confused how that works out to be 2 quarters at my university, though? I guess I will have to talk to my program manager about it :/

max

sarNie Elites
max do keep us updated. it would be like me going too. haha :D
I sure will ^^ I am not even leaving until the end of August, so there is still a lot of time, but I will remember to post the link to my blog here once I get it started : )

darvil

sarNie Adult
Yea I'm not too sure how that works out either. My guess is that they have more hours for a class. For example mine is 4 hours a week. If I was to go to a semester school then it would be converted to 6 credits. They are probably going to make you work really really hard haha.

Oh yea on the blog, you definitely should link that up when you get there. I'm sure some of us here would be interested in it.

Darvil, what a coincidence. I was looking at my contract and this is what it says:

Exchange Fee/semester-long exchanges = 1.5 qtrs UW tuition***

I am still confused how that works out to be 2 quarters at my university, though? I guess I will have to talk to my program manager about it :/