suma kalawat for new years

dfemc

sarNie Adult
on new years day:

each year, after the morning rounds at the temple, my entire family (n i mean "entire") gets together either in person or over the phone from all over the world n does this thing called "suma".

the younger ones hold up a basket full of flowers n candles over their head, bowing down asking for forgiveness from the elders. pretty much all that u have said, done, or ever thought of that could have been considered disrespect is to be cleansed off, giving each individual a new beginning with each other.

it's a very emotional process for my family. it's a time for each one of us to reflect our relationship with each other and all that we have gone through, thick n thin for each other. a time of appreciation and forgiveness. a time to renew ourselves, our attitude, and perspective towards life.

once the younger ones are done asking for forgiveness, the elders give us our blessings and tell us that there is no karmatic bonds between us for all the bad that has been done. n may all the good things come our way.

i have to say, this is my favorite part of the new years and the only part that really means anything to me.

it's a moment of resolute love. ^_^

so does anyone else find themselves participating in this tradition as well? or it may just be a family thing within my family. it would be interesting to know. ^_^

shubby

sarNie Adult
ohhh yeah, i did that Yesterday, i have to suma my mom and then my sibling. it's so nice and i had a good dream as well. my mom gave me a blessing.

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
Yes I did that also, I did it to my grandparent then to my parent. It is to ask for forgiveness and for blessing from them.

arissa

sarNie Elites
Yes I did that as well...I suma my older sister and brother and ask them for forgiveness for all the bad things that I have said or done in the past year...I cried because it was sooo emotional....I also suma my husband...during "won Sin" of our new year...I asked him too for forgiveness...because at times.....u might have sworn but you didnt mean too...and now I feel sooo much better....Like a heavy ROCk or MOuntain has been lifted off my shoulders.....

noungning

Heartless
unfortunately i've never done this before because it gets really emotional and i guess i've never really been to emo in front of my family. kind of strange. but usually we'd go to the wat and thuck baht but this year i had to work and pack for work so i didn't get to go. kind of bad, but i'm hoping the next occassion at the wat should be when i'm in the state.

Vanida

Save World Save Life
yea during new years alot of strict rules respect elders i found people stuipd on new years and don't think thatt hey going to end up in a bad condition thats why the elders are there well the one that are smart and know whats right and wrong

noungning

Heartless
didn't want to start a new thread but i have pix from new years. i did go to the wat on sunday before i left to canada, but i didn't do the suma kalawah routine.

here are some pix that i've taken hope i don't kill anyone with too much boring pix lol... this is the marching of the nang sung-karhn

dfemc

sarNie Adult
niiice pics ning....u live in a snowy bare place. very pretty tho. i like how there's all those naked trees ... ^_^