The Girl In The Window :: Rome/Rita

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Author's Note: If you haven't read it already, I posted the Prologue on the first page of this story. Thanks and enjoy.

Episode 1, Part 1

- Present Day, 15 years later

Twenty year old Kaen Chamun pulled up into the driveway of his home in Singtha Estates. He and his mother just came back from dropping, Lewis, his younger brother off at the airport. Lewis is two years younger than Kaen and had just graduated from high school and is now on his way to a University just a few towns away from Surya. Although Kaen himself, graduated two years ago, he is obligated to stay back and attend a local college and work to help out with the family. His father works at a Singtha sheet metal factory nearby, while his mother is a stay at home Mom. On Kaen's off days from school, he also works at the sheet metal factory with his father part time.

Mr. Chamun has been working at Singtha's Sheet Metal factory for over 20 years now. Not only is he a dedicated employee at the sheet metal factory, he is also devoted to the owner, Mr. Alistair Singtha. He feels like he owns Mr. Singtha some loyalty for letting him and his family live and grow here. However, eventhough Kaen does rerspect Mr. Singtha, he feels as though his father is too overly devoted towards him. Mr. Chamun could easily be making twice as much working at other companies, but because he is so loyal to Mr. Singtha, he accepts the average pay at the Sheet Metal. So after realizing that he won't be able to persuade is father to work elsewhere, Kaen decided to just keep his mouth shut.

The weather was the usual in Surya; overcasted with a bit of wind, but no rain. Not until night fall anyway.

Kaen put the car into park, and was about to step out of the car when he noticed his mother sitting there with tears in her eyes.

Mom? What's wrong? Ken said handing her a tissue.

Mrs. Chamun blew her nose, and wiped the remainder of her tears.

I can't believe Lewis is away to college. It was just yesterday that the two of you were at home with me, now he's gone and you're barely home. What am I to do from now? Mrs. Chamun sobbed and then wiped a tear again.

Mom, that just means now's YOUR time. You should enjoy yourself, go shopping, work in the garden, or just do anything you want, Lewis and I are attending school, so that we could take care of you forever, Kaen said smiling, trying to reassure his mother.

I know dear, but..

She takes a deep breath...

I just miss you boys, that's all.

Kaen grabbed her hand, squeezed it, and then gave her a warm reassuring smile.

Everything will be fine, I'll make sure Lewis comes to visit us often.. besides.. I'm still here. I know I've been busy with work and school, but I'm here, Mom.

I know I could count on my Kaen,
Mrs. Chamun smiled, wiped her nose and stopped herself from crying. Ahh.. I'd better get inside and get lunch ready for you and your father.

Kaen quickly stepped out of the car, ran to the passenger side, and open the door for his mother. He grabbed her things, and led her inside.

Their house was average size, big enough for a family of four people. Kaen had always shared a room with his little brother, and now that his brother is away, he has to learn to have the bedroom all to himself.

Their house is cozy with a lot of pictures on the walls. It is nicely decorated, painted with neutral warm colorrs choosen by Mrs. Chamun. She had always believed that a warm and loving house will produce wonderful children. However, eventhough Mrs. Chamun loves her boys equally, but not the same could be said for Mr. Chamun. He tends to favor Lewis over Kaen, to the point where Kaen sometimes has to bow his head down just so that his brother will get what he wants. But even so, Kaen doesn't resent his brother at all.

When they got inside the house, Mr. Chamun was putting on his steel toed shoes.

Aow, Davy, you're leaving already? It's only 10AM! I thought you don't start till noon?? Mrs. Chamun said eagerly.

Mr. Singtha wants us to be there early today. We've got over a hundred extra loads coming in today. By the way, how's Lewis? Did you bring your brother to the airport on time?

Yes. He's fine dad, I think his fight has already taken off.

Good. I'm so proud of that boy, one day he will bring a ton of money our way,
Mr. Chamun said proudly. Anyway, Kaen, do you have school today?

No. I'm off today.

Fine, after you help your mother, I want you to come to the factory as soon as possible.

Oh, uhh..sorry dad, I forgot to tell you that I was going to buy some books for next week's classes,
Kaen said nervously, a bit afraid that he didn't tell his father sooner.

Well, son, that's gonna have to wait. I told you, that Mr. Singtha wants us there early today, Mr. Chamun said with a bit of annoyance in his voice. Over a hundred loads need to be cut by 10 tonight.

Darvy..
Mrs. Chamun interrupted. I think Kaen should go buy his books first. His school should come first, hon.

No.. No, it's okay, Mom.. I can go tomorrow or next week,
Kaen quickly replied, not wanting to make it a big deal, knowing that his father is very adament about things.

You sure dear? Mrs, Chamun said with concern.

Yeah, it's no problem, he smiled.

Good, make sure you don't come too late, Mr. Chamun said sternly. Oh, by the way Kaen, before you leave for the factory. Here, I need you to drop yesterday's work report off at Mr. Singtha's mansion. He's waiting on it, Mr. Chamun handed Kaen a big folder of paperwork.

Okay dad........

Mrs. Chamun frowned knowing that her husband has put a lot of work on her eldest son, but there was nothing she could do or say, since he is the man of the house.

Darvy, I will send your lunch along with Kaen okay?

Thanks Thip, he smiled at her and headed for the door .

Mrs. Chamun sighed, patted Kaen on the shoulders, and went into the kitchen to start on lunch. Kean smiled, trying to hide his true feelings as he set the folder down on the coffee table in the living room.

Do you need any help now, Mom? He called out.

No dear, just go freshen up and get dressed for work.

Okay, mom. Let me know if you need me.

Yes, dear.

Kaen took a deep breath. It's going to be a long hard day at work again. Eventhough he'd rather be focusing on school, he knows that he's obligated to help his family, and for once, maybe he can even make his father proud of him for trying.

From the top of the hill, through her window, she was confused as to why there is now only one boy, and not the usual two boys that accompanied their mother. Today however, is not the usual sight that she saw for the past 15 years.

Usually, she'd see the shorter happier boy leading his mother inside, while the taller boy holds on to all the things for his mother as he walks behind them. When the woman and her boy disappeared into their house, she moved away from the window and sat on the old bed. She grabbed Salah, held it to her chest, and just stared at the tray of food that was stuck under the door. For some reason, she did not have the apetite to eat today.

Somehow, she could feel that one boy's sadness as she watched him from her window. She held up Salah in front of her face and uttered uhh ahh uhh uhh. Those were the only words she knew how to say. After 15 years of not speaking to another human, other than a doll, she totally lost her ability to speak.

Episode 1, Part 2 Coming up!!

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
omg poor girl! she can't even talk now... I hate those people who locked her up!!! :angry:

and kaen... I think he's just like Ah-Joo in BGST... :lol:

transcend89

sarNie Adult
so sad she doesn't know how to speak....i really want to know the person responsible for her being locked up...i have a feeling i'm gonna cry a lot and be sad in this story but can't wait wonder how they're going to meet?

pangmoua

RujRasa Fan
omg poor girl! she can't even talk now... I hate those people who locked her up!!! :angry:

i agree hanjieun30. poor girl (Rita). Rome will seek her out and be her guardian angel because he's like Ah-Joo. can't wait to read more updates.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Lome, I am out in the public while I was reading the first chapter. I am literally teary when I read the last paragraph. Why would someone lock up an pitiful innocent girl? I really hope Rome goes to her rescue. I am so sad. Update soon, my heart is aching, don't let me ache so long...

lady0fdarkness

I've been wanting to watch Boon Tun Gleep Sood Tai, but haven't had the chance yet. Now that you mentioned it, I want to see how Ah Joo really is.

so sad she doesn't know how to speak....i really want to know the person responsible for her being locked up...i have a feeling i'm gonna cry a lot and be sad in this story but can't wait wonder how they're going to meet?
Kaen has to go drop off some papers at the mansion.. so we'll see. I will try to add some sort of comedic relief so it won't be too sad. ;)

i agree hanjieun30. poor girl (Rita). Rome will seek her out and be her guardian angel because he's like Ah-Joo. can't wait to read more updates.
Rome is a gentle and caring soul... he will definitely be her guardian angel.

Lome, I am out in the public while I was reading the first chapter. I am literally teary when I read the last paragraph. Why would someone lock up an pitiful innocent girl? I really hope Rome goes to her rescue. I am so sad. Update soon, my heart is aching, don't let me ache so long...
awww my Ms. Fun crying in public?? *wipes her tears* :D

fun

Expired Sarnie
Yep I was and thank you. Gosh I felt so embarrassed. The people next to me must have been like what the hell... why is she crying lol... anyways hurry. I am still aching! :lol:

lady0fdarkness

Yep I was and thank you. Gosh I felt so embarrassed. The people next to me must have been like what the hell... why is she crying lol... anyways hurry. I am still aching! :lol:
Hehe, I'd probably have given you a hug if I were someone sitting next to you and saw you crying.

I will have the next part up by tomorrow morning. :D

tastesweetlove

sarNie Granny
Awww she lost the ability to speak :( and it's also sad that he has to do all these things for his father. thanks for the update^^

n_naruk

TOOMTAM :: CHALiDA
She held up Salah in front of her face and uttered uhh ahh uhh uhh. Those were the only words she knew how to say. After 15 years of not speaking to another human, other than a doll, she totally lost her ability to speak.
^That part got me teary and going awwww It's so sad! Poor girl can't talk...I'm really hating them people that lock her up like that! Let's have Rome to the rescue! Lol!

And Rome's dad is sooo bogus of how he's treating Rome from his younger brother!

PMS!!!

lady0fdarkness

Awww she lost the ability to speak :( and it's also sad that he has to do all these things for his father. thanks for the update^^
you're welcome RR. lol.. I'm struggling to finish my other one. I got an idea for the ending, but still trying to elaborate it into words! I'm glad you like this one so far.

She held up Salah in front of her face and uttered uhh ahh uhh uhh. Those were the only words she knew how to say. After 15 years of not speaking to another human, other than a doll, she totally lost her ability to speak.
^That part got me teary and going awwww It's so sad! Poor girl can't talk...I'm really hating them people that lock her up like that! Let's have Rome to the rescue! Lol!

And Rome's dad is sooo bogus of how he's treating Rome from his younger brother!

PMS!!!
you will hate them more once you find out who they are.

transcend89

sarNie Adult
i'm preparing for the worse i wonder how rome will impact or how he shows her love and how will u make it work since she doesn't know how to talk gosh rome is gonna be so sweet in here

lady0fdarkness

i'm preparing for the worse i wonder how rome will impact or how he shows her love and how will u make it work since she doesn't know how to talk gosh rome is gonna be so sweet in here
Rita's character is based on something called a "feral child." Someone who is isolated from human contact at a very young age. This leaves them in a child-like state or if they were raised by animals, then they will take up the behavioral of that animal. I've been interested in studying feral children for awhile, so I wanted to write about one.

And yes, Rome is a kind soul in this fiction.. I've always pictured him that way. I will be back to post another update. :D

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
that's what I had in mind too! feral child... lol we have studied about 5 feral children in our sociology class last semester... others just died without even learning to speak... :(

lady0fdarkness

that's what I had in mind too! feral child... lol we have studied about 5 feral children in our sociology class last semester... others just died without even learning to speak... :(
I'm fascinated with feral children who were raised by animals. The latest case was about the Cambodian girl was was lost in the wild for over 15 years. She was naked and acts like a wild dog and walks on all fours when they found her. I think she was lost in the jungle when she was little girl.

lady0fdarkness

Episode 1, Part 2

-The hill have eyes

Mrs. Chamun prepared the lunch boxes and set them on the table for Kaen to grab them on the way out. She looks out the window and frowned when she sees that it's more overcasted than earlier this morning. The clouds were already rolling in, and lowering it's madness upon the town again. She's always nervous to have one of her boys drive out in rainy conditions.

Kaen came out of the bathroom all dressed for work; black plaid buttoned down shirt, blue jeans, and steel toed boots. Mrs. Chamun goes over to the closet and grabs an umbrella.

Dear, take this. It looks like iit's about to pour out there! Mrs. Chamun exclaimed and handed the umbrella to her son.

Kaen smiled and takes the umbrella, thanks Mom.

It'll be a miracle when this town could just once have an entire week of sunshine! Mrs. Chamun complained.

Don't worry, Mom.. soon, Lewis and I are going to move you somewhere tropical; you'll be sipping coconut juice on the beach all day long, he winked.

Mrs. Chamun grabs his cheeks and pinches it.

Oh dear, you're always trying to make this old lady happy.

You're my mother, it's my job to make you happy.

She smiles.

Here.. I made stirfry chicken and green beans. There's a small container of chilli sauce you and your father can share... ohh and don't forget this folder that your father wants delivered to Singtha mansion. Here, let me help you with these.

It's okay Mom. Thanks. I've got it from here... I'll see you later okay?

You sure?

Yes, Kaen smiles warmly.

Okay... have a nice time at work.. Oh.. don't forget to buckle up and drive carefully!

Kaen thanked his mother and heads towards the door. He loaded the lunches in the car, and placed the folder on the passenger seat. Right when he was about to get in the car, a familiar voice called out to him. It was Jess from across the streets. Jess Tani is his neighbor, but she is also his self-proclaimed girlfriend.

Kaen frowned when he heard her call his name. It seems like no matter how hard he tries to avoid her, the more he sees her.

Wait! Kaen, wait for me! Jess yelled as she ran across the street from her house. Eventhough Kaen didn't want to wait, he waited like a gentleman.

Jess smiled sweetly as she approaches.

Kaen.. good thing I caught you. I also need to buy books for class. Maybe we can go together? Jess smiled sweetly.

Not today, Jess.

Why not? I thought you said you were going to buy books?

Well, I was, but my father needs my help at the factory, so I canceled it.

Oh... well, could you at least give me a lift to the corner store?

Uhh.. I can't, Jess. I've got to drop something off at the mansion.

Ahh! You're going to that creepy mansion?! Jess quickly covered her mouth, when she realized she said that too loud.

Jess looked left and right, moved herself towards Kaen, and clinged to him to whisper something in his ear.

Kaen, haven't you heard that Mrs. Singtha is crazy, and that a few people have seen a ghost girl looking down from the upstairs window?!! Or maybe that girl is Mrs. Singtha's unwanted child from her many affairs?!!

Kaen peeled Jess off of him and smiled politely.

Jess, I've got to go okay?

Wait, Kaen! What if.... that girl from the window..... is..is really... a...gggghhh...

Silly girl, Kaen interrupted. Maybe she's a daughter? Or a maid? Or even a relative? Whoever she is, she's not harming anyone, so I won't be so worried about it okay?

But Kaenn!!!! The Singtha's don't have a daughter!!

How about this... we'll talk about it later. I've got to go now, I'm late already.

Okay, fine fine.. can I at least get a kiss then?
Jess grabs his arm and tried to jump up to kiss him, but he quickly gets into the car.

He starts the engine and wave at her and drives off. Jess is seen in the rearview mirror crossing her arms and frowned. Kaen shook his head thinking about the silly stories that his fellow towns people like to get all excited about it.

Ghost girl huh? Kaen uttered and laughed at how silly that sounded.

Up ahead, he could see the mansion's entrance come into view as he drove up the hill. When he reached the mansion's limits, he was surrounded by a long row of willow trees. It was like a tunnel cause the tree branches intertwined and covered the entire area. When he finally made it through the willow tree tunnel, he came upon a huge iron gate, and good thing it was open, so he breezed right through into the grand courtyard in front of the mansion. This must have been his second time being here, ever since he was a kid. He remembered riding along with his father and brother to drop something off for Mr. Singtha.

Kaen got out of the car, but wasn't sure where he was supposed to go. He scanned the area and realized how everything is so big here. There was a big fountain in the middle of the courtyard, along with tall trimmed shrubs and trees. Even the front double door was humongus. It was like a door to a dungeon. He was expecting a butler or a maid to come and greet him, so he could leave the paperwork with them, but there was no sign of anyone. One of the double doors was open, so he stuck his head in, and called out to someone.

Hello?? Anyone here? I'm here to drop of the work report for Mr. Alistair Singtha. Hello??

No answer.

Hello?? Anyone! Hello??

No answer.

Kaen stepped into the grand foyer. It was the largest foyer he'd ever seen. And right down a red carpeted walk way was a grand living room.

Hello?? His voice echoed. He was apprehensive to go barging in someone's home, so he stood there for a few more minutes waiting.

Hmm.. I guess no one's home, he said to himself and decided to bring the folder to work with him, in case Mr. Singtha is at the office.

She was startled to hear a new unfamilar voice. She placed Salah on the bed and ran towards the window and peeked out to see who it was. Her long untrimmed hair made it's way across her face, so she brushed it back with her hands quickly to make sure that she doesn't miss a thing. She looked down and see no one, but a parked car.

Hello??! A voice called out from below.

Hahh huhh ahh! She uttered, trying to see if it was the man she remembered as her father. She tip toed and tried to look as low as she possibly can, but there was no one in view.

Humm.. Kaen shrugged and headed back to his car. He looked around one more time, and grabbed the handle of his car when suddenly he felt like there was someone watching. Kaen let go of the car handle and walked around, trying to see if someone was coming his way. But there was no one. Even though there was no one, he couldn't help, but feel a presence watching him. He twirl around in a circle and looked around, but no one.

Okay.. this is silly. Thinking that he was getting paranoid just like his neighbors, he walked back to his car, and was about to get in when he caught a reflection on the glass of the window. There was a face looking down at him, from the third floor window. He gasps and spin around to look up to see for himself.

And there she was. She looked straight down at him; her eyes huge and wild, her hair long and tangled, and her face sad and sallowed, but she is indeed beautiful. Kaen adjusted his eyes to make sure he was seeing right.

Her eyes widened when she saw the young man looking up at her. She couldn't help, but stare at him.

Uhh.. ahh... uhh.. auhh..

She tried to remember if it was the man that used to hold her a long long time ago. She couldn't understand what the man was doing, and why he was looking at her. She doesn't know what she was suppose to do or how to describe this man in her mind, but there was something about his that she somehow recall. And then, that's when she realized that it was the boy that she'd been watching for the past 15 years from her window. Somehow , this frightened her to see him so closely like this and not the usual distance.

She gasps and quickly darted away from the window, found the nearest corner by the little bathroom, and hugged her knees.

Kaen tried to get a good look at the girl in the window, but like a zap of lightning, she disappeared. He couldn't believe his eyes. So maybe what Jess told him was true?

But, she's not definitely a ghost, Kaen thought.

But she zapped away so quickly? Could it be his imagination? Was he seeing things?

Whoa.. no way, Kaen stood there and scratched his head. His thoughts ran wild with questions. If it was a servant, then why haven't she come down to greet a guest? And if she was someone who lives here, then why haven't she answer his calls earlier? And the Singtha's doesn't have a daughter, then what or... who was that?

Ahem!! A woman's voice interrupted his train of thoughts.

He spun around to see if it was the girl in the window, but it was Mrs. Singtha.

Part 3 of Episode 1 coming up!

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
they finally saw each other again! :clap: after 15 years...

hmmm...I wonder what will Mrs. Singtha say if Kaen asked about what he saw in the window... :huh:

fun

Expired Sarnie
Yeah! They meet again. Do something quick Rome! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! The sooner the better!

transcend89

sarNie Adult
omg that was SOOOOO good and sad nearly cried whenever rita made a noise....can't wait for how rome meets rita in person gosh update soon