The Magic of Ordinary Days

sarN

sarNie Granny
I randomly watch trailer on YouTube & I came across this period romance movie.

http://youtu.be/0Qm26Q1_rz4

OK, I watch the movie & it got me in tear . I love it . it an arrange marriage plot HAHAHA ...I'm not quite over Rin/Saran yet.

cecilia

Staff member
I love Hallmark movie ... always watch it during Christmas time because it just feels right during that time. Some touched me and got the best out of me as well -- happy/sad tears all at once.

sarN

sarNie Granny
Me tooo , I love watching those romantic period movie , I just finished this one @ watchfree.to , if u don't mind clicking thur those danm annoying ads/pop up , it free to watch ^^

sarNie Adult
i love this movie!!!!!!!! That part where the husband was angry but he was just holding it in, that was really sexy for me.....(sexy is such a harsh word for a hallmark movie! Hahaha) but I love it when you see that the husband was slowly falling in love with the wife and vise versa. 

Have you seen Love Comes Softly? The husband there isn't as hot as the husband here in this one but it is also about arranged marriage/marriage of convenience.

sarN

sarNie Granny
I like that he does little thing to make her happy , she like swimming, so, he went to dig a hole to make a lake for her & he said for "her children to play/swim in the summer time" & it took her by surprise b/c 'children' mean , there will be more of their own HAHAHA. Yes, I like the part where he was angry too but before that she saw his car & was excited & went to prepare his dinner . I saw that movie too 'love come solfy' , the actress, Katherine Heigl, had a couple of those marriage of convenience , 'Knock up' & 'life as we know it' , I actually watch lot of her movie ^^^

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
"Loving Leah" is good too.  Anyone see it yet?

"When his brother died, he was told he have to married his brother's wife"  :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-lXec-LRfE

cecilia

Staff member
I'm going to give these movies a try this weekend ... I love family man stories :)

Maya, marrying your brother wife sounds a bit taboo for me ... 

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
:ghehe:  LOL I know I didn't think it was right either when I first watch it. It feel so weird about their whole situation, but as the story progress I really got into their story and I ending up loving it. :wub:  I had watch few time already.

She never loved her husband, it was an arranged marriage for her. Oh and they(she and the younger brother) never met until the day of the funeral.  He also has a gf already.

Here is some short summary... hope I didn't give out too much spoiler :)

He has a choice to divorce her if she was not pregnant within 3 months after the brother's death.  During the divorce ceremony he realize something so he change his mind, then he made a deal with her to married in names only because she too want, to get away from the strict custom/community she's in. So she end up moving in with him.  :D  

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
I think I watched this movie when it first came out in 2005. I like it too! I am drawn to movies, dramas, books & etc that the main guy likes/falls for the main girl first, he sacrifices for her, he risks his life for her, he loves her even though he knows she has not loved him yet, he loves her more than she loves him :ghehe:...oops I am getting too greedy here :ghehe:.

@Maya, thanks for Loving Leah movie, I finished it! It is interesting to know about other cultures out there. I enjoyed the movie because it got me to think on many subjects :).

Hey have you guys watched The Painted Veil movie? It is not a Hallmark movie but it does have the theme - the main guy being the greater person, he loves her & married her even though he knows she does not love him, she is kind of using him since she wants to get away from her mother.

And have you guys also watched The Illusionist, not a Hallmark movie too. It also has the same main actor in The Painted Veil playing the main character in it. Kind of the theme I am drawn to :ghehe:, the main guy never stop loving the main girl :wub:. I like this movie a lot!

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
You're welcome. :)

Yeah I never realized Jewish culture do that once their spouse passed.  I know in certain Indian culture (sorry not sure which particular one) the brother have to married his brother's wife too.

Just check the trailer.  Is The Painted Veil a remakes?

At the end the husband died, right?

I remember watching TCM channel black and white movie and it has same story too and setting is almost similar.

Ms.Zoe

Yes, it is. There are 2 films before it - The Painted Veil (1934) & different title, The Seventh Sin (1957). It is based on the novel The Painted Veil.

Spoiler Alert!!!!

Yes the husband died at the end, so sad that she finally loved him back & he got sick, their love story is so short lived. She was pregnant too, so sad...back then there was no DNA test available because they were not sure if the baby was his (Walter, the husband) or not. If the husband lived he will love the baby regardless of who is the baby's father because he loved her too much, kind of like the husband in The Magic of Ordinary Days.

Ms.Zoe

I finished TMoOD, could not believe I forgot so many about it. It is a very good movie, both learned so much from each other. It is a win win situation, they both found love in each other, to love & be loved! I like that he did things to make her happy & feel comfortable. He came out of his comfort zone, he paid lots of attention on what she likes....the parts that make me like him a lot are that he said he loves the baby & he read books in preparation for the arrival of 'their baby.' The old twin ladies were funny (I think they are twins)!!

Yea I like it too when he was mad but still keep his cool, calmness.

cecilia

Staff member
I finished 'LOVING LEAH' and still find it tabooing :(

Hmong people used to have those tradition back in the day .. where the surviving younger brother is 'forced' to marry the sister-in-law. When I heard about it .. I feel a bit uncomfortable. Thank goodness, we no longer practice it anymore because I would feel so so sorry for the younger brother and his gf, especially the brother.

sarN, I'll let you know what i think of that movie when I'm done because I like their story  :)

The Magic of Ordinary Day was so beautiful ... made me cry a few times.
He was such a gentleman; I would definitely fall in love with him in no later than a month lol
His kindness won me over and his understanding/respect was one to applaud for.
I LOVE HOW he wants to do things to please her because he loves her.
In these days of age, I don't think I can find a man as gentle, kind, and understanding as him. 

sarN, share more sappy movies with me.
I'm in need of some cry/love tonight lol

sarN

sarNie Granny
I will watch those recommended movie ladies !!!
@ Cell, there a couple of life time movies that's sappy but I can't remember them at the moment loll tell u tomorrow

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
LOL@ CC  :bhehe:   I know how you feel, I feel the same too, so I ignored the fact about her already married to his brother, and just enjoy their parts of the movie.  Also good things they didn't show her with the husband and he is not in the picture anymore, unlike another movie call "Follow the stars home" :facepalm:I find this one more taboo than "Loving Leah", but lots of peoples like it and it has really good feedback.

Here is the short summary of "Follow the stars home"

Two brothers - one virtuous, one feckless - are in love with the same woman. She falls for Brother Wrong, carrying a torch for him even after he deserts her. But Brother Right remains stead fast and available. What's unusual here is why the bad brother pulls his disappearing act. Mark walks out on wife Dianne after learning that the baby they're expecting has severe genetic abnormalities. Dianne is nonetheless determined to bear her child, with support from her mother and Mark's brother David, a paediatrician whose love for Dianne is unspoken but obvious. How do they cope with the challenges of raising this little girl named Julia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siEZRcDM4KY

sarN

sarNie Granny
Bollywood have several of those arrange marriage but that consider Asian drama, I want to see the white folk movie lol , I love period setting , "Wuthering Heights" is a good one , tragic romance though.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
I get bored really easily watching period setting movie, unless the movie is really, really good and memorable, beside that I only love reading the novel.

If I have enough free time in the future I may check "Wuthering Heights" out.  Thank you.

This one is also good too "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen the same author written "Pride and Prejudice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqrfXsDshqg

sarN

sarNie Granny
@maya, but girl, modern American movie are fill w/ sex scene HAHAHA , even I have my limit *ahem* , it's hard to believe but now & then I like clean romance too lol, therefore I love to watch period drama to change it up , ya'ladies saw "Bella" 2013 I love it . I saw "Northanger Abbey" it OK , watch "Jane Era" 2006 , it's the best. ohhh , another arrange marriage "the duchress" 2008 , soo sad!

Ms.Zoe

I was bored & watched this movie again. This time I realized that Ray is one rich man! He has lots of acres of land & he has workers working on his farmland.

Edit: he is one very rich man, imagine that his land could be sold or he could expand his business. Liv is one lucky woman!

Last edited: