Tipping...

max

sarNie Elites
Okay, I just cannot help, but share this with everyone. LOL ^^ Today, my friends and I went to go eat at a Thai restaurant close to campus. Anyways, we have known that this place has terrible customer service, but we like the food. Well, today, we went to this Thai restaurant, and the food tasted horrible. We all ordered "Thai Fried Rice," but the rice was really hard, as if it was like a day or two old rice. Anyways, their customer service always sucks, like usual. So, when we went to go pay, the cashier who is a young jerk who has a lot of plastic surgery, forced us to give tips. My friend put "$0" for tips because customer service was poor and the food was terrible. The guy was like, "Would you like me to write it for you, then?" My other friends paid with cash, and then he pointed to the tip basket and said, "Put your tips in here." I was like, I cannot believe this jerk. This place sucks like no other!

Anyways, I have never ever been to a restaurant that forces its customers to pay tips. Of course I pay tips, but it has to be reasonable service. Plus, when someone forces me to pay tips, that is when I do not want to. Anyways, I just thought it was so stupid. So like my boyfriend said to me, just do not go eat there anymore. (He also said, "Would you like me to beat him up for you?" No, I would not like that. LOL ^^) So, RIGHT! I am NOT going to eat there ever again, and I will pass it on that that place SUCKS at its customer service period! Am I being too immature? I do not think so. I am just saying what is true!

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Lol. Girl stuff like that happens I mean people has to make their money somehow and the rice they probably didn't even use jasmine rice. It's probably the rice that you buy from american stores to replace jasmine rice. Bleh that stuff never really happens to me and the hubby cept one time my friends and hubby and i went to eat at some sushi joint and the waitress came after us when we walked out asking us for a tip but we had left it on the table. =.= I mean asian restaurants sometimes ask for tips because unlike american restaurants they are probably getting paid much cheaper as a base. Like instead of like 5.60 it's prolly like 3.40 or something in that area. =.=

judyp

sarNie Adult
ugh. reminds me of about 3 weeks ago when i was at daly city, california eating pho. my bf and i stop by there to eat every time we're in the area. im pretty good about tipping restaurants. well, i didn't tip this particular day because my mom had some piece of plastic in her food. so i paid and everything and we all walked out the door. my mom was the last one in there because she was in the restroom. well the jerk who was supposedly the host (who doesn't do jack shit but stands there & directs everyone else) asked my mom why she didn't tip. my mom just said, well i don't have cash, my daughter paid. he said. well next time you should add your tip when you swipe your card. you're at a restaurant, you should tip.

when my mom told me this..i was heated. what a jerk! i should've walked right back in and threw that bowl of pho in his face. lols. or i should have pointed out that there was a freaken piece of plastic in the food! i probably won't go back again. what kind of restaurant demands tips?! assholeee! <_< :arrg:

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
If the food sucked, then I'd still tip the server, because it's probably the cook's fault that the food sucked. So I guess the server had nothing to do with it. I normally tip the server no matter what, because my sister works at a restaurant too, and I totally know what servers go through and what kind of money they make or do not make. So I guess for me... I tip with my heart, rather than how good the food was. But ofcourse, I also tip according to how well that server did. Normally, I try to do the basic 20% here in Florida.

judyp

sarNie Adult
If the food sucked, then I'd still tip the server, because it's probably the cook's fault that the food sucked. So I guess the server had nothing to do with it. I normally tip the server no matter what, because my sister works at a restaurant too, and I totally know what servers go through and what kind of money they make or do not make. So I guess for me... I tip with my heart, rather than how good the food was. But ofcourse, I also tip according to how well that server did. Normally, I try to do the basic 20% here in Florida.
well yeah. you have a point. but i just thought the guy was a jerk for telling my mom that she needs to tip. errrr! i know its common courtesy but geeesh! <_<

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
omg.. no he didn't!? <_< if that was me I would've taken out a piece of paper & wrote out a tip for him! I would've wrote... "next time... give better service & maybe you'll get some change biatch..." lol. okay i wouldn't add the biatchh... but i would say the rest... muahah... rude people these days...

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
o_O yeah if the food sucks I tip the waiter or waitress if she did a good job. Normally if my check comes out to 20-30 bucks I tip about 5-7 bucks and if it comes out to 40 plus I'd tip about 10 that is depending on service though;

noungning

Heartless
ahahah man this reminds me of olive gardens, well we were there about 4 of us... we were sat in the back... there's this one guy who helps out the back section. he would NEVER come ask for anything... we need more drinks, more bread, more anything, he was never around... and to top it off when we asked for boxes, he took 20 minutes to get them!!!! man we were pissed off. so the bill came to about 78 bucks... i tipped him 3 lol... haha i usually leave a 20% tip also but in that case, it was just too annoying.

and also, it depends on where i go, sometimes i just tip because i tip like buffet, i'm not gonna give them 20% tip for just taking the plates away... um sorry. but if it's a sit down restaurant and they are serving us to their full potential they'll get a nice tip. if they do not care for us, well then, tough luck.

i went to a chinese dim sum place. and they are sooooo racist, they treat white skinned people like kings and ignore the asians. because they're scared they won't get a tip. well u know what, i won't tip ur ass then lol... there was one time i tipped them 3 bucks because like i said they never ask us for anything until when we were done eating. so they can give us a bill and pay them... so i used my card. they charged me and i remember what it was... i went to check on my statement... they freaking added $5 more dollars to the tip, i was heated! i called my bank and demanded my money back hahhaah. it wasn't the fact they took the 5 dollars, but it's them, grrr if it was any other place i would've just not cared but that place. i was just like oh hell no! i want my 5 bucks back haha.

but personally, i haven't been to a restaurant that bluntly asked for a tip yet... maybe because I do tip haha even if it's just 50 cents hahahahha if i really don't like u i'd leave 1 cent, and i've done it before ;)

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
LOL Ning dude that reminds me....

One time I went to this olive gardens omg the waiter was so rude to me. I accidentally dropped my purse and my checkbook fell out and he saw it then he picks it up and goes "Is this yours."

I was thinking dur you just saw it fall out of my purse. Then I said yes lol but then he goes,
"can you verify your name and address." I was like WHAT?! It fell out of my purse of course it's mines! So just to avoid drama I did; then he goes "CAN I SEE YOUR ID?! TO MAKE SURE YOUR NOT STEALING IT FROM SOMEONE."
I was like dude. OMG
I stayed calm. Then he took my card to swipe it.
Comes back and goes, "ma'am your card keeps getting declined." I'm like what?
My friends card worked fine. They didn't even have money in it! LOL
I'm like wtf. So I gave him another card. Came back declined. [BRAND NEW CARD/I'm sure it had money cause it's a debit for another checking I have.] I was like ok.
So I gave him my Chase Debit;
DECLINED.
I'm like I think he's just picking on me.
So I remembered his name; Well I had no choice but to write a check. I didn't even bother to tip

Also he had called my friend "Sir" throughout the dinner and she is a she.
We went back the next day but a different group of friend. He was our waiter again <_< I requested for a new waiter, but they were all busy so I had to make due. This time he was pretty nice I found out he got nicer because my friend had went back to the restaurant after dinner and talked to the manager on duty about the waiter and I think he got scolded for it. My friend that talked to the manager told me about it like the day I went back and told him "He's being nice lol."

- ------------------ ----

I went to applebees the other day. Dude the waiter was so cool and made me feel so comfy and welcomed that me and the hubby tipped him 25 bucks LOL. we're crazy, but we've never gotten service that good before.

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
There is a miscommunication between you guys and the servers. You should tell them why you did or did not provide a tip so that they are aware of the symbolism.

The reason being that nowadays, there are a lot of cheapskates, and so the servers cannot tell between the two. While you expect them to think they did a poor job or would like to alert them to the poor service, you shouldn't be upset.

If there was plastic in your bowl... you should alert the server. If the server failed to replace your bowl, then you shouldn't tip. However, if you didn't tell him and you are upset... you are basically blaming the server for the mistake the chef in the back made.

The servers basically survive off the tips and Uncle Sam takes a portion of those tips whether it is given or not, hence hurting them when you don't tip. So it is a reason why some feel they are obligated to a tip, but you shouldn't feel the same.

Just let them know know why you didn't so they know they did something wrong vs. you being a cheapskate. They can't stand how cheap people are so when you don't tip, they get cranky too.

:^)

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
=[ I'm not a cheapskate lols! I always tip unless the service is horrible hence my olive garden experience, but I rarely encounter a restaurant where I was serviced badly. I'm going to this thai restaurant for dinner or whichever one I get best reviews of by the 6 pm this evening so far the ones I've looked up are reviewed for being poor in service. I asked my parents and my parents said, "Sorry to say this hun, but thai people are naturally arrogant and whether they are waitress or waiter or not they will continue to be like that even if they have to serve you, so don't expect great service when you go to a thai restaurant."
I was kinda angry with my parents for saying that, but the more I looked up the more I read reviews on how horrible service some restaurants are, but then the food is good =.= so hopefully I pick a restaurant with not horrible horrible service and good food lol.

My problem with tipping is I tend to tip to much sometimes =.= at a buffet even I tip like 10 bucks sometimes; I guess its because I feel bad for the servers =/. It's funny because everytime we go out to eat when the waiters and waitress'es see us they always rush or fight to get to us hahaha. Cause they know they are guaranteed at least 10 dollars tip. If I don't have any cash I just go ahead and mark 10 on the tip section of the reciept if i have cash i'll do 5-7 for a 20-30 dollar check thats for myself. Whatever my hubby feels like tipping he does. And he never leaves anything below 7 bucks so thats nearly 14 bucks already.

i'm like that, too, sometimes. i abhor when someone tells me i "should" do something or tells me to do something. even if i was going to do it, i refuse to just b/c. :lol: pisses me off. <_<

anyway, i used to wait tables at an italian restaurant on weekends. this one dude & his family tipped me a $1. they were pretty fast and didn't order much. no mess or anything. my co-worker was impressed, b/c she said dude doesn't tip anyone. after that, i was proud of my dollar! :lol:

noungning

Heartless
good lord. u double tip... the hell.

um well the thing with these people, i know a few who waitresses...they get mad when they don't get tip, but they also change their behavior so in the future they get tip. my sister is a waitress and she gets $20 dollar tips from people who spends less than $100. these people knows why the hell they won't get tipped if they don't.

but it is true, if you have something in your food u ask for a replacement, but u also wonder if they've spitted into your bowl or picked at it before it came out.

u go to a restaurant to get service, if not, then i'd do take out or even fast food drive thrus... these people in the restaurant industry knows they need to do it right or no pay will show up. can't expect, but to hope that your service will pay up.

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
The problem with 7270 scenario is that family has no math skills.

15% is what Uncle Sam thinks you're taking home.

So when you work your butt off, you are hoping to make that 15%.

If you failed to do your expected task, then fine... you lose out.

But when you did everything right and get $1. That irks ya. Or should...

A lot of people come into a restaurant and eat $50 worth of food. Then they get tipped $5 (10%) vs. they should be getting $7.50 (15%).

The problem is that people forgot their math... I mean even some of my relatives look to someone to ask, "How much do I tip?" cause they don't have the mental calculator skills.

So now you can see why... some servers actually are rude and say... TIP ME cause there are more people who do not know how to calculate 15% and think a tip is just that... whatever I want to give....

But I think its rare to see servers do that. And if the case is they are doing it a lot in your area... you might put them in the place with the explanation you stated here. Otherwise, maybe your the frugal tipper that has got them ancy. :^P

It's funny how nowadays some places have adopted a a cheat cheat with what the gratiuity should be for 15%, 18%, 20%, etc. so you can decide what you want to give and that way you eliminate the question, was the patron too mathematically handicapped vs. displeased with your service.

So if you want to hate, hate the person in the states who decided %15 was the amount the server should get.

noungning

Heartless
that is is right, my boss brought back some receipts for reimbursement and it did have the tip schedule at the end of the reciept, i thought that was quite funny.

the way i've always calculated my tip when i'm neutral to happy is $1 per $5 spent including taxes so technically i'm tipping more than 20% because i add in the taxes... well unless i'm not too neutral i'll subtract taxes and just tip $1 per $5 on the bill without taxes... and it works out fine. then there are places i just like, and i over tip em... :)

oh and places i don't like, i under tip em hahaha

there was this time i went out w/ 2 friends i haven't been out w/ in a while. damn girl poked out a tip card that had the percentages & how much to tip on it. it was the size of an ID card. I was just... :loool:

yeah. that $1 tip did irk me, but i'm not going to dwell on it. maybe i should not have been too amused. he's more descent than the family who stole my tip from the other table.... agh memories.... :rolleyes: :lol:

fun

Expired Sarnie
I tip when I have money; you know I am not a wealthy person.

Anyways I went out to eat with my friend at a Chinese buffet, if you have been to Stockton it’s called Oriental Buffet, you won’t miss it if you are at the mall. Anyways us teenagers [my friend and I] were pretty poor but wanted to go out to eat before a movie. The service was so bad, waited forever for our drinks to be refilled. I was thirsty to hell after eating some salty food [I forgot what I ate; all I remember was that it was salty]. It was almost closing time too, and we were like we are not paying for a drink when it was never refilled even once. But we didn’t say much until this [Chinese waitress] came to take away our food which a few of my friend, they were still eating. I was like “OMG she didn’t just to that. I am going to give her a beating. What a bee with an itch.� My exact saying as I remember. Yeah I don’t normally use foul language so I did really use that term a bee with an itch. Anyways she came back with the receipt and it came up to $175, yes there were a lot of us. And so we all pulled out our money and paid. She then said, “Oh it doesn’t include tips.� My mouth dropped when I was searching for my wallet to hand her $2 that I had left; hey I was the only one willing to give her a tip from out of all my friends. I put it back and we just stormed out of there after handing her the money. I know at a buffet it is unnecessary to tip but I always tip anyways. But I was about to have my fist in her face. Come on she took my friends plate when she was still eating just because she talking it doesn’t mean she was done eating and they were sweeping when we ate, how rude! Was it wrong for us to just leave without a tip? I don’t think so!

Sorry it was a long comment. So I wouldn't blame you for not tipping. I would have done the same but with my fist in their face. LMAO just kidding.

max

sarNie Elites
I almost always tip, just because I do. It is just that, sometimes, the service is seriously poor. Right, you cannot blame the server for the food, but you can blame them for treating you with a bitter attitude. So with my experience, our server was bitter. I believe that servers should approach customers in a at least fake nice way. Plus, the guy at the front desk was a major jerk. I am not ranting because I paid for tips, but I am ranting because we were forced to pay tips. I was going to pay tips anyways, but after that jerk said that to my friend, I did not want to pay tips anymore.

kitkat

sarNie Elites
My friend and I always eat out at Ooka (Japanese restaurant) every Saturdays for the appetizers/sushi and never have a problem with the waiters/waitresses, but there was one time, it was new waiter who was terribly rude! When he came to us for the orders and I had to point out at the menu since you know we are deaf so of course, they have to know how to serve us b/c it's the area that deafies come by often so there's no excuse for them not to know anything. Anyways, back to this--- once I pointed it out and guess what... he gave me an irk face and we thought just let him go til we were really thirsty so I waved at him for a refill and all he did was chatting away with his friends who also were customers; he actually ignored me when he really can see us! <_< After that, we tipped him a nickel and spoke with the manager; she knew us b/c we're her regular customers then next weekend, I didn't see him anymore and found out that he immediately was fired after we filed a complaint. YES!!! :yahoo:

Then we got a regular waiter of our own; he's awesome! :D

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
well actually some restaraunts add tip to your bill if its a higher end one or if you're with a party of 6 or more..also the general rule of thumb is 15% regular restaraunts unless you have a party of 8 or more than its 18% and for higher end places its 20% unless you have a bigger party then it can go up to 30% depending on service...

i usually tip but if i get bad service i dont tip and also make sure they understand why you dont tip...tipping doesnt mean they have to go out of their way in service, just do their job and they should get a tip...