What Airline?

OnlyU

sarNie Elites
quick question anyone that have travel to Laos from US already. What airline did you guys use? What travel agency? what's the contact info? help pleas? My cousin wants to go the ticket is $1200+ per person.... help help help... thankz

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
when i went.. i went on America airlines..
it's a hmong agency... i dun know the contact infor. but
i'll try 2 get it 4 u though.. if u want me 2. :)

Power

sarNie Egg
OnlyU, where does your cousin live at? If he/she go, I recommend them EVA Airways. EVA Airways is a Taiwanese airline. The airport code is TPE. Vietiane, Laos airport code is VTE. At Taipei, Taiwan aiport, it is a big hub. You will go land there and then go straight to Vietiane. You really don't have to wait that long in the airport either. Their airport is really big and very very expensive.. Is he/she travelling alone or with someone? The agency that I bought my tickets from is closed, as in shutdown or else I would give it to you. I went June of 05 and it cost $1380.00 per person. It was really expensive, but then it also depends where you live at too though. I know someone that just went January 2006 and their tickets were around $1200.00.

OnlyU

sarNie Elites
I called around. EVA air doesn't fly to Vientiane anymore :( All flight goes to BKK than thaiair or lao aviation goes there. I wonder why EVA doesn't go any more-

Power she's going with her daughter. She has to fly off from her city into NYC (the cheapest I can find). I guess the best way right now if to fly NYC direct to BKK (thai air) and from BKK to VTE. Which cost about $1230 per person RT. plus 150 RT from her city to NYC total of $1380. Do you guys think it's cheap or expensive? (goes I think it's expensive but that's the cheapest i can fly).

Why so expensive to fly to LAO?????? Lao Aviation should do a direct flight heheheeh. They are lots of lao people that wants to go home!!!!

Power

sarNie Egg
OnlyU, airline tickets are expensive these days. Are you sure EVA doesn't fly to Vientiane anymore?? Wow, I need to check that out and let some people know because from Taipei to Vientiane is most convenient and good too. I don't know about doing the direct flight on Thai Airways from NYC to BKK because the plane is kinda small. I don't think it's a Boeing 747. The only thing I hate about staying in BKK is because it's kinda scary. They let you off too early and you have to spend like 9-10+ hours at the airport (So they can make money). Also they will try to let you go get a room, which is dangerous, getting on a cab and the cab will take you to a place to stay (if the cab is bad, they can take you to bad places). But it's not as scary if you go in a big group. The security people are really aggressive when they check your bags, etc. But I don't know though, things might have change now in BKK, so it might be a little different. Hey at least you can understand the language...hehehe.. At Taipei, it is so simple and the airport is really really nice. As I mentioned before, I went to Laos around June 2005 on EVA Airways, and I came back alone by myself (Because I had to come back and work) and it wasn't scary at all. Well, I'm not that young, but still it's very convenient. I guess right now you will expect to pay around 1200.00+. So I think that price is not too bad. :)

missjoy

sarNie Elites
My sister-in-law just bought our tickets for our trip to Laos in April and it cost it's about $1,200. We are leaving from Dallas to LA on AA. Then we are heading to Thailand on some airline(not sure what it is) but we will be stopping over in Teipei.

OnlyU

sarNie Elites
I got tickets for them. It's $950 from NY to BKK. JPL and another $250 from bkk to lao. they really don't have Eva. Man, that's too bad!

NangNaaley

sarNie Egg

I think that China Airlines is very reasonable. I recently flew from SFO to BKK for less than $800 in April on a last minute flight. From there, I've booked a flight from BKK to CEI (Chiang Rai) which is about a 2 hours drive to the Laos, of course you have to take the boat across the Mekong river to Laos. The airfare from BKK to CEI was also very cheap. I've only paid $699 bahts for each way which came out to be less than $20 each way. I suggest checking out China Airline and AirAsia (Thailand domestic airline) www.china-airlines.com and www.airasia.com.

noungning

Heartless
man i wish i can fly outta SFO that'd save me $$$... i won't be going to laos, but stopping at the borderline sorta... my uncles are coming over to visit me instead... i'll be going in july way after the 4th and for only 2 weeks and it's costing me 1235 round trip. if i can find a new job asap, i'm gonna change my flights to 1 month so i can go over to laos... gosh.

yeah the rates of flying in the country shouldn't be killer crazy lol ...after one night in bkk going to nong kai then back to bkk for 3 nights, then back home ughhhhhhhhh! :(

dfemc

sarNie Adult
NangNaaley said:

I think that China Airlines is very reasonable. I recently flew from SFO to BKK for less than $800 in April on a last minute flight. From there, I've booked a flight from BKK to CEI (Chiang Rai) which is about a 2 hours drive to the Laos, of course you have to take the boat across the Mekong river to Laos. The airfare from BKK to CEI was also very cheap. I've only paid $699 bahts for each way which came out to be less than $20 each way. I suggest checking out China Airline and AirAsia (Thailand domestic airline) www.china-airlines.com and www.airasia.com.
[post="122235"][/post]​

i did something similar to that NangNaaley. yeah i would personally do China Airlines, which has great deals.

i have never flown directly into Laos, as I only went backpacking there. i usually go thru BKK or a nearby southeast asian country like VietNam. so i end up taking the small planes and went straight to LuangPrabang. i have never gone to VTE. but i've done an entire trip from south china, hongkong, macau, and throughout southeast asia then europe for less than $1800 total.

so if u don't mind doing a few layovers and sleeping just about anywhere, u can get pretty cheap flights. the travel agency i go thru is:

www.statravel.com (if ur still under 26, u'd get excellent deals, n if ur a student, even better)
www.holidaytravel.com (they will do anything to accomodate you)

statravel is worldwide, so they're excellent. over the summer, there's cheap flights to Hong Kong or BKK for only $500 sometimes, and all u need is a connector flight to any of the other small countries.

but China Airlines does sound like a steal :) good luck

missjoy

sarNie Elites
If you are flying through China Airline and you are not filying directly out of LA, you may be careful about your luggage size. When I went, I was only concern about the weight of the luggage and trying not to go over 70lbs per luggage... BUT I was flying out of DFW and they were counting the deminsions of the luggage too. Which we had the 2 normal big luggage that didn't go over 70lbs. So AA charged us through China saying that our deminsions are over. We end up paying about $150 in excess size so there was four of us so we paid amost $500 total.

We went to the China counter to see if AA did the right thing and China said that it's true and that's their rule about luggage size, but b/c of customer courtesy China does not implement that rule!!! So technically AA did the right thing!!

dfemc

sarNie Adult
missjoy said:
If you are flying through China Airline and you are not filying directly out of LA, you may be careful about your luggage size. When I went, I was only concern about the weight of the luggage and trying not to go over 70lbs per luggage... BUT I was flying out of DFW and they were counting the deminsions of the luggage too. Which we had the 2 normal big luggage that didn't go over 70lbs. So AA charged us through China saying that our deminsions are over. We end up paying about $150 in excess size so there was four of us so we paid amost $500 total.

We went to the China counter to see if AA did the right thing and China said that it's true and that's their rule about luggage size, but b/c of customer courtesy China does not implement that rule!!! So technically AA did the right thing!!
[post="122512"][/post]​
awww maaan...eeeeks :( that's lots of mooola. it's true, it's a good thing to keep in mind. i usually travel light to my destinations, but it's my return luggage that i have start shipping things home earlier for.

noungning

Heartless
yeah the luggage thingy... wow u get 70lbs? i get 2 50lbs only 1st class gets 70lbs gosh and since it's already so expensive i'd sit in the economy lol... yeah statravel have good deals. too bad it's so limited.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
no prob...yeah looks like they got some special deals on there. the person who i speak to is Kamla. She's great. Very helpful.

hope u find something great...n share great pictures of all the mochi that u eat :)