What kind of khone Lao are you?

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Though all khone Lao understand one another, we do have different accents and traditions, so I'm just curious as to what kind of laotians are out there.

I'm Thakak and my skin is pretty dark and I think I have the usual Vientiane accent. Though it is unconfirmed that I may have a lit bit of Khmer blood in me. My husband is Lue and he's lighter than a white guy and when they talk in their Lue language, it sounds like they are talking Chinese. I was surprised at how different we are. He never ate Miang Muang Luang before, whereas we always make that in our household. And for me, I never heard of his dish before, it's called Kow Sua. So I was pretty amazed.

My Aunt is from Pakse, so her accent and skin color is way different from mine.

How about you guys?

nalyn

sarNie Egg
My parents are from Kenetao. Anyone heard of it? It's a tiny little village. I've had many people tell me our accent sounds like muang luang.

nina07

sarNie Adult
Though all khone Lao understand one another, we do have different accents and traditions, so I'm just curious as to what kind of laotians are out there.

I'm Thakak and my skin is pretty dark and I think I have the usual Vientiane accent. Though it is unconfirmed that I may have a lit bit of Khmer blood in me. My husband is Lue and he's lighter than a white guy and when they talk in their Lue language, it sounds like they are talking Chinese. I was surprised at how different we are. He never ate Miang Muang Luang before, whereas we always make that in our household. And for me, I never heard of his dish before, it's called Kow Sua. So I was pretty amazed.

My Aunt is from Pakse, so her accent and skin color is way different from mine.

How about you guys?
oh really? because my dad is from Thakek, and my mom is from Pakse..

dfemc

sarNie Adult
hmmm...i believed we've had this topic up once already. it's an interesting point u brought up, i wasn't aware of the different ethnic groups in Laos or Thailand either growing up. n there's soo many different regional accents. personally, my mom has the tai neur accent n grew up in muang luang, so i also have her accent when i try to speak lao. but my mom's mom is leur chiangmai, n has the chiangmai accent. i don't mind it. but i remember it was soo different when i had my first exposure to Vientiane and Southern accents, i had to stop awhile n think about what they were saying. but i love it. n i definitely do eat Miang Muang Luang n fried kaboon (rice noodles). but of course i look nothin' like tai muang luang, i'm very dark, n occasionally considered black, which i don't mind at all. :lol:

lady0fdarkness

I LOVE miang muang luang!! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. It is eaten with fried dried peppers in my household, but I personally like eating it with fresh hot peppers.

I'll have to call my Mom up tomorrow and see if she can make it this weekend.

lady0fdarkness

I noticed that the Laotian section of this forum is very empty and quiet! I'd love to see this section more active.

annygirl

sarNie Egg
mom is from vieng chan and dad is from muang luang
both are light skinned

judyp

sarNie Adult
my dad is from vientiane and my mom is cambodian. my dad is actually darker than my mom, but my mom is about 25% chinese.

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
my mom is from vietiane and my dad... i do not know.. my mama's darker & my dad's light. i look more like my mama & my older sister looks like my dad. :lol:

exp0

sarNie Juvenile
My mom is from Kengkok, my dad is from Ban Nonglumchan.

We speak the Savanh accent, so to me that is the normal Lao accent?? lol

donna

sarNie Adult
my mom says that we are from kangsayabouri in the middle of mueng luang and vientiane. i think that we don't have an accent but people say that we do. most of the lao ppl i know are from the same village as us. some do speak with an accent.

i can't speak that much lao so it dont' matter. its like broken lao most of the time. that's why i just stick with english! ^_^

donna

sarNie Adult
I LOVE miang muang luang!! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. It is eaten with fried dried peppers in my household, but I personally like eating it with fresh hot peppers.

I'll have to call my Mom up tomorrow and see if she can make it this weekend.

we call that nam. is that the fried rice balls with pork sausage (nam)?

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I have no idea.
I've never considered my family to have an accent with we speak Laotian because it sounds like Thai but with different words.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's not a Chiang Mai accent because I know what that sounds like.
It's like not having an accent, I guess the best way I can compare would be like an American accent when it comes to English. American being the neutral, news anchor kind of talking.

Everyone in my family is light skinned though. My dad has gotten darker due to his job but other than that, every single person in my family is very light skinned.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
I have no idea.
I've never considered my family to have an accent with we speak Laotian because it sounds like Thai but with different words.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's not a Chiang Mai accent because I know what that sounds like.
It's like not having an accent, I guess the best way I can compare would be like an American accent when it comes to English. American being the neutral, news anchor kind of talking.

Everyone in my family is light skinned though. My dad has gotten darker due to his job but other than that, every single person in my family is very light skinned.
hmmm..there are varying American accents too. it's very much like the fact that i'm from Cali, and most of what's on tv is Cali-based in accents (due to Hollywood's location), most californians don't think we have an accent, and feel that we are "THE" american accent, when in fact, in other parts of the U.S., californians are considered to have an accent. so your family probably have an accent, but you just don't quite know it or know how to categorize it. ;)

Liberty

sarNie Adult
hmmm..there are varying American accents too. it's very much like the fact that i'm from Cali, and most of what's on tv is Cali-based in accents (due to Hollywood's location), most californians don't think we have an accent, and feel that we are "THE" american accent, when in fact, in other parts of the U.S., californians are considered to have an accent. so your family probably have an accent, but you just don't quite know it or know how to categorize it. ;)
I know.
I know my family has an accent but what I meant is that I don't feel like it's an accent even though technically everyone has an accent.
When I say news anchor accent, I meant the general kind. The accent people in the industry associate with national news anchors, not local (I'm from Texas, the majority of our local news anchors have a Texas accent).
I don't know how else to describe it, it's one of those labels I picked up from my producing classes and professors. That's what it's referred to in textbooks too.

dek_noy

sarNie Hatchling
I actually don't know what kinda I am. I've asked my uncle before what my dad was and where he was from. Then i kinda forgot now what he said. LOL. I think my dad was from the Vientiane area. He's very dark skin! Im tanned skin, not as dark as my dad. It's weird cus i dont know what kinda kon i am but i can speak all different accents of the language!

noungning

Heartless
mom and dad are both from the vientiane region, but um mom breaks it down to that luang section, and dad is from um i can't remember... hahaha my mom was very dark in laos, because or weather sun, blah blah.. but she's lighter here hahaah... mom's mixed... dad is full lao and he's very light hahah but he tans well so he looks brown now. lmfao.

miang muang luang... isn't that where u fry the dried rice into like cracker, then blend it up with water to get this pastey type of pudding and put it with veggies and eat it...

nam - that's the other type with the fried white rice balls with curry, and break it down to mix with other condiments.

lady0fdarkness

we call that nam. is that the fried rice balls with pork sausage (nam)?
Miang Muang Luang is when you use the old and dried left over sticky rice. You pound it, up, fry it, and mixe it into a pot of water, padek, ground beef or pork, tomatos and other garnishes. Once you got a paste like rice pudding thing, you then eat with gabage, lemon grass, ginger, lime leef, and other various herbs of your choice.

Nam is when you use cooked jasmine rice.. ball it up, deep fry it.. mash it up, then put som moo(pickled pork) and pork skin, and then you eat it with lettuce, cilantro, mints. and other herbs.

I like both.