What nationality is everyone????

Falada

sarNie Adult
I'm Hmong. I know how to speak Hmong and write in it 80-90% of it. I was born in Thailand, and lived there for the first 6 years of my life. But now I live in California, USA. All of my aunts, uncles, and my parents know Thai, but only some know Laos. My mom is my Thai Lakorn translator. I understand some Thai, but very bad at it.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
My nationality is American.  My ethnicity is Hmong.
I can speak,read, and write Hmong fluently... I must say writing is a bit bad now though..
My Thai is mediocre... I only understand around 35-45% around there. 
It fluctuates, depending if I'm watching lakorns or if I take a hiatus.  :)

Ha. I'm a bit more confusing. Well, I'm American, born and bred in the States.
My family are of Chinese/Thai/Laotian descent but moved to Cambodia and later to the States.
So I'm half Chinese, 25% Thai, and 25% Laotian. The thing is I am somewhat fluent in Khmer and of course, English. Learned Thai, Lao and Chinese growing up and forgot Chinese along the way. But I am able to comprehend in: English, French, Khmer, Lao, Thai and Mandarin Chinese.

Falada

sarNie Adult
thatsouthernasianchick said:
Ha. I'm a bit more confusing. Well, I'm American, born and bred in the States.
My family are of Chinese/Thai/Laotian descent but moved to Cambodia and later to the States.
So I'm half Chinese, 25% Thai, and 25% Laotian. The thing is I am somewhat fluent in Khmer and of course, English. Learned Thai, Lao and Chinese growing up and forgot Chinese along the way. But I am able to comprehend in: English, French, Khmer, Lao, Thai and Mandarin Chinese.

Man, I super jealous of you now LOL. It's really good that you know a lot languages. :D

maiKair

sarNie Hatchling
I'm born in America but Lao/Thai. I understand and could speak both Lao and Thai but I can't read Lao. I can read a little Thai though. My dad used to date a Chinese girl for 7 years (before he met my mom) and taught me sone Mandarin so I understand a little Chinese. My grandma is teaching me some hmong she learned when she lived in a village with lao and hmong people together, and other lao languages. My step dad (Lao) used to date a Vietnamese girl and is currently teaching me Viet. My step brother (lao/viet) is teaching me Korean, and my mother (thai isaan) of course had taught me thai since i was a little girl and still learning more new words in thai. So lao was my first language, english, then thai.

Sovatana

sarNie Juvenile
I'm cambodian. But my great grandfather is thai. I can speak 50% and understand 70% of thai (still discovering new words by myself). I'm not able to read or write and I wish I could! And I'm planning to learn Thai and many other languages when I'm at college!

AConfusedFangirl

sarNie Hatchling
I didn't plan to post anything but just by reading thru every post, I think it might be fun to join this...  :wink: 
I'm Malaysian. Malay-Chinese to be exact (My grandmother from China) Since I was a kid, I had been really interested in asian languages so I started to learn Cantonese (my mom can speak lil bit of cantonese), Mandarin, Korean and now Thai. But most of it are self-studies except for Mandarin (bcoz it was extra hard)
I'm into Thai lakorn bcoz of a friend. She's a Thai-Malay and she's the one who help me out me during the earlier year of my Thai addiction  :pervie:  But it's not hard to fall into lakorn bcoz Thai lakorn was quite famous in Malaysia back in 90's.
I can't speak or write Thai but now watching lakorns without sub is not a problem bcoz I can understand 90% of it.

ImQueen

sarNie Adult
@Fahlada, girl, I'm also jealous of all the AFners.... because they're mixed in a way, but I am 100% Philippines. LOL. My brother-in-law is Japanese, so I am currently learning some Japanese. At school I took English class, so I know English. I got addicted to Thai Lakorns because of KA's lakorn Oum Ruk and the series 4 Hua Jai Haeng Kon Khao's big hit. Only know basic Thai words..... 

But I'm proud of who I am :D

Falada

sarNie Adult
ImQueen said:
@Fahlada, girl, I'm also jealous of all the AFners.... because they're mixed in a way, but I am 100% Philippines. LOL. My brother-in-law is Japanese, so I am currently learning some Japanese. At school I took English class, so I know English. I got addicted to Thai Lakorns because of KA's lakorn Oum Ruk and the series 4 Hua Jai Haeng Kon Khao's big hit. Only know basic Thai words..... 

But I'm proud of who I am :D

LOL :D I know, everyone else if a little jealous about another. But yep, I'm also proud to be just me. I'm pretty sure I'm 100% Hmong, too. My sister study Japanese, so I know a little Japanese from her. And Thai, my mother have been watching it before I was born. One of her favorite was Ban Sithong. I was never really interested in Thai Lakorns until I was at least 8 or 9. LOL Love KA.. <3

Heidi

♥Korean Obsessed♥
I'm so jealous of you guys. You all know like different languages.....So jealous. I'm Hmong American, can speak, write and read both. Though there are some words that I don't understand. I've been learning Thai little by little by watching Thai Lakorns and with the help of my dad. :)

Falada

sarNie Adult
sweetie-dara said:
I'm so jealous of you guys. You all know like different languages.....So jealous. I'm Hmong American, can speak, write and read both. Though there are some words that I don't understand. I've been learning Thai little by little by watching Thai Lakorns and with the help of my dad. :)

It's ok, LOL, at least you're getting to learn a new language. And learning new things can be fun, and hard at times.
LOL My dad doesn't help me, since he doesn't care about Thai Lakorns, and he don't have the time, anyway.

So happy that I have so many Hmong friends here.  :dance1:

Heidi

♥Korean Obsessed♥
Falada said:
It's ok, LOL, at least you're getting to learn a new language. And learning new things can be fun, and hard at times.
LOL My dad doesn't help me, since he doesn't care about Thai Lakorns, and he don't have the time, anyway.

So happy that I have so many Hmong friends here.  :dance1:

Agree, it's always fun learning new things, they can be a pain the but sometimes though. Glad to have many friends on here :)

meleona98

sarNie Egg
lilyjoonki said:
I didn't plan to post anything but just by reading thru every post, I think it might be fun to join this...  :wink: 
I'm Malaysian. Malay-Chinese to be exact (My grandmother from China) Since I was a kid, I had been really interested in asian languages so I started to learn Cantonese (my mom can speak lil bit of cantonese), Mandarin, Korean and now Thai. But most of it are self-studies except for Mandarin (bcoz it was extra hard)
I'm into Thai lakorn bcoz of a friend. She's a Thai-Malay and she's the one who help me out me during the earlier year of my Thai addiction  :pervie:  But it's not hard to fall into lakorn bcoz Thai lakorn was quite famous in Malaysia back in 90's.
I can't speak or write Thai but now watching lakorns without sub is not a problem bcoz I can understand 90% of it.

Hi... glad to meet malaysian here :dance1: I'm also Malaysian but now living in Aussie. My dad is Thai-Chinese and my mum is Malay. My first language is Malay. I can understand Thai about 80% because when I was small I listened to Thai music and watched lakorns a lot. I can speak very little Thai :cry:, my dad does not really help me, he prefers to use Malay language. I also can understand and speak Mandarin since I attended the classes.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Alot of different kinds of people here.  Thats good to see and somewhat expected.

As for me my journey is a bit more eleborate then typical (at least I think it is).  I'm ethnically a Karen, and was born in a small town in the Karen state in Burma (Myanmar).  My mother moved to Bangkok when I was very young to get a teaching job in an international school.  I lived with my grandparents until my mother called and I moved to bangkok.  From there I went to a very small private Christian American school and studied the way a typical American kid would but in the background of living in Thailand which seeped into my every being.  This happened much more easily because my mother was a single mother and was always working and never home. I didn't really live near any Burmese/Karen community so most of my friends were third culture kids like me and included all sorts such as White, Thai, Indian, Chinese and Filipino.   Because I didn't have cable (too expensive) I watched Thai TV and grew up like a typical kid in my interests such as waiting religiously for the next episode of DBZ as a kid and waking up early on Sunday mornings to watch Japanese anime on TV.  I usually watch lakorns with my mother at night time and usually doing the translation for her since she can't speak the language. 

I had the fortune of going to HS in both the US and Bangkok and have experienced the awkwardness of being a teenager on both sides of the world.  One thing that was pretty different about me was that I always loved to listen to Thai songs and a large part of them have intertwined with many experiences in my life.  But alot of my friends including Thais, are very snobbish and think Thai music is lame ;)  Now how's that for being really white washed hahah ;)   One of the reason I started helping out AF was because I missed Thailand so much (mainly music) when I was in the US that I wanted to be a part of something that would remind me of Thailand.  Even though I'm a naturalized American now after living in the US for the past 10 years, I've just moved back to Thailand with plans to live here permanently (at least SE Asia) and discovered that probably half of the kids I knew are now back in Thailand.  Even in my own high-school group of 4 guys; 3 of us are back living in Thailand (2 of them are Thais so I can't really blame them on this). 

Anyway, because of the way I was brought up, I identify myself as a hybrid American-Thai with some sprinkle of Burmese.  Because I can speak Burmese I see that they are everywhere in Thailand, usually doing the menial work in Thailand (kinda like how in US you see Mexican/Hispanics doing menial labor).  I also find it interesting to see how people react when they find out I'm a Burmese-American because they're 2 really opposite spectrum of respect in Thailand.  See the thing is I've always been an outsider.  In Burma as a Karen, I wasn't treated well by the Burmese kids, and then in Thailand I was picked on for being a Burmese by Thai kids, and then when I was in the US, being in a majority white town, I represented all things Asian.. such as Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese.  This has really shaped the way I think about race/class/culture and I myself tend to think alot of these ideas are outdated for the 21st century.  Anyway thats probably for another uninteresting topic haha.

Wow I wrote alot more then I was thinking of doing lol.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ Thanks for sharing your story na P'Darvil (since it's so rare of you to post hehe).  It's a blessing to have you here in the forums.  We don't know what we'll do without you if you never came here to manage all the technical troubles... let alone manage the whole site despite your busy self.  Just know that we all love you truly here :kiss2: :kiss: :grouphug:  Yay for the love of Thai music.

I watched Thai TV and grew up like a typical kid in my interests such as waiting religiously for the next episode of DBZ as a kid and waking up early on Sunday mornings to watch Japanese anime on TV.

And whoop whoop go DBZ and watching animes while growing up. :scarytv:

SonYukView4ever

♥OFFICIAL MARK PRIN STALKER♥
WOW, Darvil, I am really touched by your story. :)  It was great to hear that side of your upbringing.  Many of us may have similar stories as well. :)  Your story was profounding and we all are very grateful of your help and great contribution.  For your kindness, I think you will truly make a great difference in the world.  Great things come to those who are kind and can contribute back to society in all sorts of ways.  Love. <3

CaSURVIVOUR

Mrs.Urassaya_Sperbund_Kugimiya
i'm a filipina with spanish,malaysian and chinese origin.i can speak and write in english fluently a little in spanish and more in arabic.i envy those who know korean,thai and chinese i became addicted to thai lakorn when i discovered YADECH in viikii.com i'm a kdrama addict after all lol! :woot2:  :scratchhead2:

luloveyaya

sarNie Juvenile
Seem like I'm the first Vietnamese answer this thread, haha.

I am living in Bangkok now, I have spent  my 6 years here for studying bachelor degree and working. I love Bangkok and Thai language. It's  a little bit easier for me to learn Thai than other languages as it is quite similar with Vietnamese one.

I can speak and understand simple Thai conversation. I'm learning Thai myself through daily conversation with my Thai friends and Yadech's lakorn haha.

I'm very glad to be part of this forum . Nice to meet you all !