When you went back to visit lao...

Reagan

sarNie Adult
well the first thing I notice stepping outside the airplane doors was it started to get hot, then walking thru the scanners and visa thingy, started getting hotter, then getting outside the airport building was boiling hot. this was during June.
The food is different some how I like the food in laos either cause I dont usually eat it or because they do it differently in laos. The morning market shocked me, when walking pass a store and looking at there items they just try to grab you inside or put the clothing in a bag and give you the price straight away, things move to quickly there. what shocked me most is there is many lao people trying to make ends meat, just enough to survive and thats it. laos has be given many funding if im correct, but the progress doesnt seem too good, well thats my opinion.
I tried to adjust in the first week, mozzi bites the heat, the toilet it was just too hard to sit down and do my thing.

ta_s2

sarNie Egg
the things i didnt really like were the showering, food & weather. At my grans place we have a huge bucket of cold water and u use the 'Or' to pour water on urself... and it being cold was just hard. and the food.. i like laos food, i eat it here but when i went back, i didnt really like to eat any of it... except for only the things like fried rice, eggs and simple things..
me and my lil bro would always go to the store down the road where they would sell food they have here in Australia.. like streets ice cream, lollies, chips and cereal ...and also the hot weather.. that was hard at first but then got use to it after like a few days.
but overall .. my trip was "THE BOMB" .. hahaha .. love it! miss it!

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
my first expression when i got to laos.

"I can't believe I'm here. Laos!"

Second expression..stepping out of the plane. "Ugh! y is it so Hot! i need a shower."

~It was my first time to visit Laos ~> October 2005 because i was born in America and I'm not lao.

The Lao people were really nice to my parents and me however, I did not like the weather, what-s0-ever.. It's so hot there..i can't stand it.. :(

anyways, the food was great.. especially the papaya at ta-lat sao.. it was goooddd goooddd gooodddd!!! :)

Overall, the trip was FUN! I love the shopping there.. So damn CHEAP!!!! every booth you go.. they tell you to buy their stuff.. So many great stuff to buy.. that u don't know what to buy..

one thing, i did not like the water there.. it's dirty.. (to me, it is) :)

but the it was fun.. and i of course plan to go again.. some time next year.. :)

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
It always amazes me how when you go back to laos , the people there, especially in the market area know straight away that you are a tourist and the prices all suddenly shoot up…lol

that for me took a little to get use too..because they just stare

AznGirlTha

sarNie Egg
I know what you mean. They always ask me when I was leaving and stuff ( the Vendors). I enjoyed it. It looks like there were many changes from the first time I went in June of 2002 and the second time I went in 2005 in July. I miss going. Fun experience and rewarding at the same time.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
2cute2care said:
It always amazes me how when you go back to laos , the people there, especially in the market area know straight away that you are a tourist and the prices all suddenly shoot up?lol

that for me took a little to get use too..because they just stare
[post="163063"][/post]​
very true.. prices shoots up!
:lol: once they know you're a tourist.. & yea.. they stare a lot.. but i got use to it too.... hehehe!!! :D

shubby

sarNie Adult
yup, that's true, but i find nothing wrong with it..cus they need money to support their families and stuff...so i guess it's ok..but dang...it's so hot and dirt are everywhere..heehhe

vannitda

sarNie Hatchling
i went to laos last year over the summer. it was fun. i felt like a real princess because i didnt even have to go through all those people and the scanner things. my grandfather came to get me and my mother in side where the passagener gets off. no one is allowed there unless you work there but my grandpa got connections. haha!

it was funny when one of the laos police grabed my arm and said to me "your suppose to be back there" in laos. and i responded in English in fright"ahhhhh...MOM HE IS TOUCHING ME!!" hahahahhahaha! it was so funny. everyone stared. my uncle came over to the police and told him i was his niece. and the police apologized. i didnt mean anything by screaming, i wasnt trying to be rude but it suprised me when someone just comes up to me and grabs my arms. haha! and english just came out.

People in my area kept staring at me because i would wear clothes thats different and i would sometimes just where my bathing suit and shorts around my home. and then ride the bike around. haha! and FRUITS!! YUMMY!

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
shubby said:
yup, that's true, but i find nothing wrong with it..cus they need money to support their families and stuff...so i guess it's ok..but dang...it's so hot and dirt are everywhere..heehhe
[post="170179"][/post]​
true..they're just trying to make a living... they're reallie nice though... but u know when i was there..I felt like a celebrity.. since there were a lot of starings.. hehe!!! everywhere i went... here and there... .hahaha!! & yEs!!, tell me about it.. Dirt is everywhere... :(

vannitda said:
i went to laos last year over the summer. it was fun. i felt like a real princess because i didnt even have to go through all those people and the scanner things. my grandfather came to get me and my mother in side where the passagener gets off. no one is allowed there unless you work there but my grandpa got connections. haha!

it was funny when one of the laos police grabed my arm and said to me "your suppose to be back there" in laos. and i responded in English in fright"ahhhhh...MOM HE IS TOUCHING ME!!" hahahahhahaha! it was so funny. everyone stared. my uncle came over to the police and told him i was his niece. and the police apologized. i didnt mean anything by screaming, i wasnt trying to be rude but it suprised me when someone just comes up to me and grabs my arms. haha! and english just came out.

People in my area kept staring at me because i would wear clothes thats different and i would sometimes just where my bathing suit and shorts around my home. and then ride the bike around. haha! and FRUITS!! YUMMY!
[post="170300"][/post]​
lol... funny story u got here.. & yes.. u should feel like a princess... hahaha!!! & yup.. back to the staring... got a lot of those..
even if you wear the most mis-match clothing.. they can somehow tell u're a tourist...very smart they are...

:rolleyes:

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile

i know what you mean about the feeling like a princess. family back in lao always treated me really delicate because they knew that i had no idea what the hell is going on.

noungning

Heartless
i found it hard to adjust because i feel as if i'm a big outcast from everyone who's been living there forever. but it gets easier if we are just open minded about everything as in poor ppl coming up to us and begging for money, which happens in the US, but not as often. and also adjusting to the weather, all else it's more close to home because my family is still traditional and eats and celebrate our lives the same as back in laos

vonni

sarNie Egg
i already knew what was expected so there wasn't any culture shock for me. when i first went there which was 2 years ago, i loved it very much. i want to live there when i retire, i just hope it doesn't change too much when i live there haha

kumpangxruk

sarNie Adult
i was there for 2 days over my summer vacation. i enjoyed it but it was sad because i didn't get to go around very much except to see some of the temples and the morning market. i found out my great uncle used to be the general of Laos...so awesome hehe. ^_^

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
i was so excited to go to Laos in 2004. I've never been there, so i always wanted to go because I'm a very family and cultural oriented person. When I first got off the plane I couldn't believe I was here. I went in July...so the weather didn't shock me yet. Then, when we finally went outside...the humidity just felt like it was killing me. My body was all sticky and I felt horrible. We went to my uncle's house and then to the store and came back and I fell asleep until morning 3pm-6am. I didn't sleep on the plane...so over 26 hrs with no sleep. Then that morning we drove to Savannakhet Province. I liked the ride because we had my uncle and his cousins come pick us up on those big trucks with seating. But it was only us on it. We got to stop in little street vendors along the way and buy authentic squirrels. haha. Then we kept going and stopped at the bus station in Thakek and my dad had a cousin who owned a store there. We sat for another hour or two. Finally, we went and then stopped at Seno to buy some sort of animal with really sharp nails and a lizard and several geckos. Talk about my dad's cravings and his cousin's and brother's cravings. Finally by 6 pm, we made it to Lak 35, where some transexual sold us some lotos seeds. I actually liked it. And we made it to Kengkok :). My dad literally jumped out of the truck to ask if his aunt recognized him. They froze for a little bit, but then realized it was him. We kept going in the truck and arrived at his house and my cousins were all there. I was too tired to say anything and just got the luggage out and went upstairs. Then, I just sat there, too shy to talk to anybody. I figured out how to use the bath there and went to bed. The next morning we went to see the witch doctor lady because it's tradition there. When we were done with that, we headed to my mom's village. Now Kengkok is actually a bigger bahn. When we got to my mom's place....and this time of the year there's rain. So when we arrived in my mom's village my dad just walked to the house and went in and started shaking. Too much alcohol and rain. My mom's side of the family didn't know we were visiting Laos...we suprised them. My grandma saw our truck and thought it was weird that my dad just walked under her house and laid on the wood bed in our unfinished house and then me and my sister got out talking in english to eachother about what was wrong with our dad. I had tylonel in the car so i just gave some to him. To them, they believe he ghosts did it to him. O well.

So, I got aquainted to my family and they treated us really well. There were no stores around, so I had fresh everything. O, the joy of grasshoppers. I liked it and eating these foods because it was like living with nature. It wasn't so hot here, like it was in the other areas because we had coconut trees. My dad said this was way better than Hawaii and I agreed with him.

A scary thing that happened when I was there...one night the dogs in the village started howling. And there was this really loud female cry that really scared me. But, I thought I was imagining things. Then I couldn't handle it anymroe and listened carefully. Finally my uncle got up and i heard everyone else talking about how they know that it's this lady in the village crying because her mom has been sick. So, my uncle was going to go check up on her because maybe alll the dogs are howling because her mom passed away. When he went downstairs, I heard him yell at the dogs. Okay...skip....Turns out, one dog climbed on top of the roof of the house across from us and just howled the whole time and there were dogs everywhere surrounding our area. The lady did cry and called to Thailand to tell her siblings that their mother passed away. But guess what?? She actually didn't! Her mom just fainted!!!! And all of that dog howling and fussing was for no reason. Just an interuption. But I don't blame her because I don't think some people over there know how to check for pulses. Several days later they did say that she haunted some people in their dreams that night. They said maybe she had an out of body moment. scary.

Sorry for the long story. I just thought it might be entertaining to tell my story and I had nothing else to do.

PS
the rest of my trip was fun. i went to Champasark and explored and had some bouns. I then went back to Vientiene and explored there and headed back home. Great trip. Loved every moment of it.

http://www.youtube.com/laosaugurl go check out three short clips of my trip if u want. very random vids.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
that's awesome Phone, those clips look like u had a fun time. Lao parties are always a festive thing, i love the music and the food. show more fotos

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
I visited Laos in 2005 and it was hella fun. It was a long vacation for me .. 6 months worth. Adjusting to the environment wasn't hard because I'm use to the hot weather and also the food there. I love eating the fruits the most.

The only strange thing is people be staring at you like you are a foreigner to them.

All in all, I wish I can go back there again.

tinav101805

sarNie Hatchling
When I went there.. i was really light.. soo of course I stood out.. and everywhere i went ppl gave me compliments on my skin and my body... haha it felt good..

what i didnt really like.. the girls there are hella stuck up.. they think they're all that.