Why are thai dramas popular?

thedonsean

sarNie Egg
I find thai dramas pretty annoying for 2 reasons;

1. the storylines are repetitive.
2. 2 girls slapping each other over a guy is just poor justification.

Despite these reasons, I still watch them and heres' why;

1. Its the only way i get to spend my time with my grandparents other than eating their delicious, traditional lao meals with them
2. my thai language skills improved which is something i brag about all the time because when you are born and raised in the states, your native tongue kind of just withers away. im sure most of you know what i mean.

3. thai girls are pretty cute.....so what? dont judge me. you know its true and same goes for lao girls. : )

Well 3 good reasons versus 2 poor reasons so I guess approval of thai dramas win! 

Naah, i dont think so...

I still want to know why people enjoy watching thai dramas.

Sooo...

Why do you like watching thai dramas and how many hours do you spend watching them?

Leave your comments below.

Thanks!

thedonsean

sarNie Egg
Yeh i do find her (kim) attractive. I heard she is going with Mark Prin?? If that's true then he is one lucky guy lol

SO my poor reasons are why you like them. ok , cant judge there. There is one drama I recommend for you The Star Beside The Moon on viki.com

Where do u watch your dramas at ?

Thanks!

roselovesice

방탄소년단 x Bangtan Sonyeondan x JiTaew
I don't know what you mean when you say "popular", because I haven't really come across a lot of people who watches Thai Lakorns more than I do (or overly "obsess" lol). But I mean, It maybe because I don't hang around the Asian circle as much as I should. lol
I like watching Thai Lakorns are because:

1. I like the intensity of it. It makes me excited. 
2. It's not always overly cheesy like Kdramas & Cdramas (not saying all their dramas are but in some case most are)
3. I like non-girly pra'akes. They at least look like "GUYS".
4. I like my man in suits and most of the time they're in suits. LOL
5. Not all lakorns involve slapping or girls fighting for the pra'ake and vice versa.
6. They have excellent actors and actresses who has been acting for decades (ex. Anne Thongprasom, Ken Theeradeth, etc.)
7. I have always found Thai pra'akes more attractive and manly than any other Asian races (but of course the other Asians do have some good ones once in awhile lol)
8. I like how they - daras - fan service us both on and offscreen
9. I get to see my favorite pairs paired up more than 1-2 times and not have to worry about when they'll ever get paired up again.
10. I love the lakorn OST. 
11. Lakorns give you a different feeling and vibe than when you watching other Asian dramas (according to me)
12. I find Thai nang'akes very attractive and beautiful. They may look similar to one another but all are very different physically, such as (clothing) style, facial structure and etc.
13. They all - most - derive from different nationality - mix blood babies.
14. They make me smile. :)
And the list can go on and on.

Yeah, some lakorns aren't acceptable due to its content, but I'm a person who can separate entertainment from real life and not take it personally. I understand that people do go through a certain issue that's being portrayed onscreen but it doesn't mean that I don't condone it. 

thedonsean

sarNie Egg
Thanks for you replies!

Yes, I do notice thai dramas feature more mixed actors/actresses and so it is more appealing to the audience.Every man's gotta own a suit, no doubt and the fact that you like men in suits is awesome!

chulie

sarNie Egg
im not sure lakorn are "popular" - if you compared them to the other big asian countries. However, they do have a dedicated fanbase.

It's pretty intense which makes it so entertaining...in Lakorns you can pretty much get away with anything or not but it never involves the cops 555  :yes:

Cupid Candy

sarNie Coma
1. I've literally been watching since I was in my mother's womb.
2. I'm used to the 'nam nao-ness" of things
3. I refuse to watch Korean dramas because Thai p'eks are so much hotter and cuter. 
4. Most thai revenge plots are the best. 
5. Love scenes are more tame and family friendly to watch. 
6. Nadech Kugimiya, Mark Prin, Mario Maurer, Aum Atichart, Mike Pattaradet are enough reasons for me to be a loyal lakorn viewer. 

I wouldn't be so quick to judge lakorns nowadays. They've changed quite a bit from the last 5 years, 90% less rape, 30% less fighting over guys (definitely less slapping each other, more like using lies to get the n'ek mad and leave the p'ek). Lakorns are so much less stressful; Exact used to make the most stereotypical, stressful, and repetitive lakorns but they've changed their game and produced some unique masterpieces and ch7 is hesitant now to drag out their lakorns and make them annoying with filler scenes.

I forgot to add this into it...but in other Asian dramas you will never see it but Thai lakorns they also add gay couples...so ...in lakorns they don't mke it look like only straight couple exist LOL

sarN

sarNie Granny
b/c lakorn revenge/rscene/kidnapped/slap-kiss/babies/force-arrange marriage/love-hate relationship/ plots are the best . and I like rscene , ppl can complain about it all they want but ones of the best lakorn out there have them HAHAHA , sometime I feel lakorn are like trashy romance, you just secretly enjoy lollll

Waffle

❤ BTS ❤
I feel like other asian dramas are too simple when it comes to the main pair.Thai is where the action is. I love the overly jealous pra eks who tries so hard to not care, kidnaps, r-scene, forced marriage.. K dramas has different themes but it can get really unrealistic (My GF is a Gumiho, Rooftop prince, and probably more). Although it could be interesting, its too much for me to try to figure out all their mysteries and such.

Kelly...OM

sarNie Hatchling
Lakorns, have some of the best stories. That's why I watch them for the storyline. To name a few: Manee yardfa, Leud kattiya, RLSR,Samee, So sanea ha... yes stories you don't get from other dramas.

sarN

sarNie Granny
oh, another thing , I love their cat-fight insult-comeback , mostly importantly the explicit conversation loll ..and yes , even those annoying servant scene is on the list too.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I like lakorns because most of them make n'ek as pure as snow...and some pra'eks are like picks lol.

Jealousy pra'eks are ridiculously cute...the rai at times are over the top. The rich have some insane houses...kidnapping/false accusations/insults/unknowing love/idiotic pranangs...all these flaws makes the lakorns more interesting regardless how long or many times it has been recycled.

Hana_pichy

Lakorn lover
Yes.. 'recycled'.. Haha.. Laughing at your comment. Right, I still watch it even if how many time it had been remake. The storyline is the same, just they change the cast only or add up, throw out few scenes.
I love watching Thai lakorn because it make me remember the time when I was childhood. I wish I could be Peter Pan so that I won't grow up lol. Haha.. I think Thai lakorn are popular because they have what other countries doesn't. Their actor is manly hot with their actress who look naturally beautiful.. Lol. At least we can differentiate each other . Haha.. Jkjk

saki

sarNie Adult
It's because of what I like to read...I usually read 2 kinds of books- mystery novels and romance novels. Because of the romance novels, I started watching Asian dramas since the stories were similar. I started with Taiwanese (Meteor Garden) drama and then some Japanese.. but those stories seemed to focus more on teenage pairs...either that, or the actors looked too young so while I really liked some like Meteor Garden and Hana Yori Dango, I prefered it when the actor/actress looked to be in their twenties at least. But most of the Taiwanese actors/actresses looked too young even if they were playing grown up roles.

So I got a bit in to Korean drama and there were some good kdramas I liked (Secret, etc.) but these dramas almost always ended up sad with one of the leads dead. Sometimes, there was no reason why the leads couldn't have a happy ending but they chose to write them dead or separated so I gave up on that lol.

Thai drama had just what I wanted- the drama with the happy endings and the leads weren't teenagers- or at least, they didn't look too young and could pass for (at least) characters in their twenties. Of course, there are things I also don't like to see in Thai drama; I either skip or fast forward or I just don't watch. I guess they resemble the romances I'm used to reading most so I just happened to be familiar with them. There are also good Filipino dramas but they're mostly depressing and the romance is not really romantic- most themes involve cheating, sad endings, etc. The romances there are usually (like with the Taiwanese stuff I had seen) involve teenagers. Or actors who look too young.

I like to watch other things though- I also like british historical romance (jane austen, etc) and I like murder mysteries.

saki

sarNie Adult
I also like themes where the p'ek is wrong and he tries to make it up to the n'ek (again, this is a common theme in romance) and you find this a lot in thai lakorn. Of course, sometimes they write the p'ek too nasty in which case it's probably better if the pair don't end up together...when that happens, the lakorn becomes a failure for me. I don't want the p'ek too mean -just a little, but not to the point that he becomes completely unforgivable. It's great to see them realize they were wrong and now they have to be humbled lol. I also like themes where the n'ek has to overcome a lot of things but she succeeds and everyone admires her for it.

spanky

sarNie OldFart
hahaha,...it's like asking PPL why they love Daytime SoapOpera and daytime talk show...same formula...repetitive storyline

I tried to watch Daytime SoapOpera (American)...I want to ripe my hair out...same thing repeat but with different character...over and over and over monthly and they switch partners like nothing ahhhhhhhhhhh...

At least w/Azn Drama....they have their HEA....Like any story there will always be some similarity and repetitions....like our real life...we all repeat the same things many times as many others b4 us

Many Movies (world wide) - Share the same formula of similarities and repetition and yet we all go out to watch genre we like

Simple - Pure Entertainment....fantasy of my Dream Man and a HEA ....Hopeless Romantic...to laugh...to cry...eye candy

Jacy

sarNie Hatchling
Maybe for you guys thai lakorn kinda famous but try to ask people around me they only know luerd kattiya and roy ruk roy adeed... Mostly my friends prefer thai movie but not thai lakorn... They think thai lakorn too raeng(harsh)... 

Lakorn world

sarNie Egg

1. Its the only way i get to spend my time with my grandparents other than eating their delicious, traditional lao meals with them
2. my thai language skills improved which is something i brag about all the time because when you are born and raised in the states, your native tongue kind of just withers away. im sure most of you know what i mean.

3. thai girls are pretty cute.....so what? dont judge me. you know its true and same goes for lao girls. : )

Well 3 good reasons versus 2 poor reasons so I guess approval of thai dramas win!

Naah, i dont think so...

Sooo...

Why do you like watching thai dramas and how many hours do you spend watching them?

Thanks!

Naah, i dont think so...

Sooo...

Thanks!
I love watching Thai dramas.There are so many reasons for my liking.Some of them I can't even describe by words.Here are some reasons.
1.Firstly,praek's are super hot and handsome.and they are more manly.They can act in anyway such as love,hate,pain in love,and also comedy.I am an Indian and their faces look some familiar.Unlike Korean or Chinese actors with small eyes and some other features,but they are also cute.Among them I like Thai actors.And another reason when they are in pain and they cry I can't even control my tears.Usually men don't cry but when they cry it will be very emotional.
2.Coming to nangek's they are so beautiful and adorable.They come from different countries but also they easily mix with Thai culture.Their acting is also good.Especially when they cry,we can't even differentiate whether it is an act or real.Their faces also don't match with each other.All will be different.Eachone has their own beauty .It is very admirable.
3.Now, coming to story and direction even though many lakorn are same in story like revenge stories,slap-kiss stories but they are still attractive because every actor has different shades.Besides the story if we watch their acting instead we will know the difference.I am not bored of watching lakorns.I also watched few Korean dramas but I don't find them interesting because they mainly emphasize teenage love which is akind of bored.Their acting is also same in any role they don't show different shades of them .They only show their cuteness unlike Thai dramas in which they show different shades like anger,romance,love,comedy and many more.I find lajkorns are realistic like some of them may be real incidents.some of them we can even experience in our life.They also convey some messages which are useful to our life.Direction is also fantastic.Even though there will not be more romance(******) .but their love scenes are so cute they are watchable.some scenes like forced kiss, unwilling marriage but at last they will understand each other.Those scenes will be heart touching sometimes we even feel their pain.
4.But one thing I don't understand why Thai dramas can't compete with Korean dramas.This one I can't tolerate.I think in every aspect Thai dramas are best.May be just due to their less development or less linking with other countries.etc.but in acting I don't they are lesser than anyone.Sometimes I try to act like them.But please o want to know why are Thai dramas not as popular as Korean.please tell me if you know..
5. As a lakorn lover my most favorite lakorns are KLEUN CHEEWIT,starred by mark print and urassaya. GAME SANAEHA,starred by jirayu and teaw. All other lakorns are also wonderful but if you ask me to pick the top among them my choice are these two.I have seen such amazing lakorns especially KLEUN CHEEWIT,at first both pra'ek and nan g'ek hate each other and at last they end up together.sucha wonderful lakorn.In the middle some scenes of love and the pain in the love and struggle of nang'ek to find true love.is really adorable.Thanks to the team of KLEUN CHEEWIT.in the meaning itself it says waves of life.Many messages to life.In the last scene my eyes couldn't stop tears of joy when both end up together such a lovely couple.Not only this lakorn all lakorns are good, as can't describe all of them I chose my fav lakorn to describe.
This is what I found from my analysis.If there is any mistake or if you feel unpleased by my words please don't mind. This is just my opinion. Iam not humiliating anyone. If you feel like that then sorry for you.
And another thing is if you are fans of Thai lakorns please try to spread them. I want to see Thai dramas as no.1 in asia.please watch Thai dramas and try to see their acting not only just stories. You will find yourself why I like Thai lakorns.
Thank you for asking this question.
If you want to share why you like Thai lakorns please share with me. I also want to know why people like Thai lakorns other than my reasons.
Enjoy watching lakorns .