Anime recommendation?

sin2su

sarNie Egg
Hi All,

So I am hoping some of you guys could help point me to the right anime as I am slowly getting back into watching it.  I've already watched a few of the latest and greatest: Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghouls (season 1 & 2), Parasyte, and Another.  I would say I really enjoy those and all are 5 stars anime!  So any suggestions on similar anime (that have yet to hit the US TV) would be awesome.  I am also open to watching other genres of anime.

Thanks a bunch! :]

Recommendation on J-drama or live-action of anime also welcomed!

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Being a long time anime/manga/jdorama fan, I have a lot I could recommend but of course... It might not be your acquired taste :p

You mentioned the newer popular ones, which I enjoyed myself. I liked those because it's been awhile since we really saw some great action or storyline animes, might I add great visuals too.

I personally enjoy a lot of the classic animes though, like Naruto, HunterXHunter, Inuyasha, and Ruroni Kenshin etc. But of course there's a greater variety etc.

If you didn't know, there's a 2 part live adaptation film for Attack on Titan and a drama version coming out during the summer and possibly at the end of the year.

Hmmmm, I must say that my favorite live-adaptation films/dorama of animes are GTO and the Rurouni Kenshin triology. <--- I really enjoyed the trilogy, it was well done with a great cast, if you haven't seen it.

There's a lot of the romantic high school live adaptaions out too if you're interested. Popular titles would be Kimi no Todoke, Koizora, Paradise Kiss.. Etc.

If you're into Yankees or delinquents, I would recommend Crows Zero 1 and 2. Crows Zero 3: Explode is good too but it's a totally new cast and I just felt that the characters weren't that "badass" enough for me.

I'm only listing some anime/films for now but I can list a whole load more if you want. It'd be easier if you can list exactly what you want, that way I can come up with a list faster hehe.

Welcome back to the anime/dorama world~~~

sin2su

sarNie Egg
Thank you for all the recommendation.  I love HunterXHunter!  I used to read the manga and will definitely check out the anime!   

I have tried to watch Naruto, Inuyasha, Ruroni Kenshin, One Piece, Fairytale and other classic…however I could never bring myself to fully watch them.  I have heard of how great they are, but every time I try to watch them…I just feel so overwhelmed by all the seasons and episodes already out and the amount of catch up I have to do <if you know what I mean…or it could just be me lol>.  I guess its mainly because members of my household have spoiled them for me since they watch them regularly.  One of these days, I will have to glue myself to the couch and watch all these classic from beginning to end while shutting everyone out hahaha.

Oh I have heard of the live adaption of AOT and cannot wait until it comes out!

It's hard to really list what I would like to watch… I guess it doesn't matter what genre an anime is as long as it have a good storyline and visual (a bit of humor is great too).  Something that doesn't have too many episodes/seasons would be great so its not too overwhelming to start and catch up.  

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I understand you.  As much as I enjoy Naruto, I think the only reason why I supported it for so long was because I've been keeping up on it ever since I was like young.. and I mean young lol, hence I've been reading the manga and watching the anime eversince.  I would say I've put in over a decade's worth of dedication in staying tuned.  It has its good and moments but I think you'll still enjoy it, I know most people just hate the filler eps because it delays the story.  Don't be shocked over how many eps these kind of anime shows have, because once you get towards the end-ish.. you start wishing for more lol.

I'll list some of my favorite classics and some that will probably interest you, unless you've seen them already then just ignore lol.

Death Note is a pretty popular manga/anime with some good visuals.  I've always found the storyline to be quite unique and different.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic <--- I have only seen a few eps from the first season, but the show definitely has its fans.  I'm not far into the anime so I can't tell you how I like the storyline much yet.  I can say that the visuals are good though, I personally find the main character "Alladin" adorable. *coughcough*

Full Metal Alchemist / Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood <---- I've seen the first version of FMA, and really enjoyed it.  The Brotherhood one is the same except it follows the actual manga.  I've only seen a few parts of Brotherhood, so I can't really tell you when the story changes but from what others have said, you can just watch the Brotherhood without watching the first FMA.   Brotherhood has newer visuals.  I have to say that the visuals through me off a teeny bit because I was so used to the first one, but it's still nice to see.

D.Gray-man <--- I really enjoyed this show.  I really wish there'll be another season, because it's still a cliff-hanger.. I continued on with the manga too but it's still incomplete.  This show has some aspects that are similar to AoT.

Dual/Universe ~~ transportation animes

Fushigi Yugi <--- this is a favorite one of mines which I always tend to rewatch every once in a while.  The main girl character is childish but if you can get pass her childish-ness then it'll be fine lol.  The characters in here are great with their own personalities.  <----  I also really love the mangaka/author of this series.  She has really great works, though if I recall, only 3 of her works has been turned into an anime such as  Ayashi no Ceres  and Arata Kangatari

Sword Art Online <--- I have only seen like 8 eps? from the first season but there's quite a fanbase for the show.  I personally have seen so many animes already that I didn't really feel this particular one interested me much.  It's like a virtual reality game anime.  It mght interest you.  I might start over on it one of these days if I feel like it :p  This one sort of remind me a teeny bit of Hunter X Hunter but I'll go for Hunter instead :D

Mecha/Robots/transformations

I used to wach mecha animes but I've sort of brushed them aside because I kind of lost interest in them, but there are some great ones if you're interested.

Some fan-favorites will always be  Neon Genesis Evangelion  and Gundam.  

I have to say I personally really enjoyed Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor, it might be due to my cousin's influence though but it was interesting... <--- hmmm, it might just not give you a satisfaction much because if I recall, the ending is pretty much a cliff-hanger-ish... I think the manga still ongoing today. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure where to start off.  The list is random..  so I'm just listing some popular ones for now... in case you're interested.

sin2su

sarNie Egg
Thank you!

I've seen Death Notes and the live-adaptions.  It's a pretty good anime.  I've also read the manga for a brief while.  
I've seen some of Gundam and Guyver thanks to my fellow cousins & brothers lol  I'll have to catch up on those one of these days.  Oh my child/teen-hood lol

Sword Art Online, I gave it a try…I didn't make it through the first episode hahaha…maybe it just wasn't for me… But I might give it a try again in the future since a lot of people seem to be recommending it.

Right now I am watching Magi.  So far it's interesting and pretty good.  Aladdin is indeed adorable!  And Morgiana is bada$$ and comparable to Mikasa of AOT!

I'll have to check out the other recommendations once I'm caught up on Magi :D

ImQueen

sarNie Adult
I like Skip Beat... it's nice. Give it a try.

Fruits Basket...

Ouran high School Host Club...

A Lull in the Sea...

Nagasarete Airantou... 

Chobits...

Yona of the Dawm...

Kill la Kill...

Bleach...

etc...

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ I was going to recommend some of those animes too but I wasn't sure if the member wanted some high school animes... :p

I would recommend Skip Beat.  I loved the fact that it is show-biz related and that the character's love turned into hate/revenge and doesn't remember how to love anymore but... I really wish the anime will get another season, since there is so much materials right now as well as interesting characters I would not mind seeing!  I usually stay updated on the manga but I took a pause due to losing patients waiting for a new chapter each month lol.  There's also a Taiwanese live adaptation drama too, though I haven't technically finished it.  This anime/manga has fun and entertaining characters though.

Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club are cute school animes.  I had an obsession with OHSHC when it was airing back then.  Heck, I even have the rabbit and bear plush on my bed hahaha.

As for Kill la Kill, I watched an episode and.. I wasn't really fond of it.  I can watch some ecchi/perverted animes but that one was like... I couldn't even come up with an assumption of what it was supposed to be... Like yeah the girl character has this scissor-like blade... and she's looking for revenge for her father.... but her fighting transformation <----- I have absolutely no idea why they gave her such a perverted outfit.. it's like not even an outfit LMAO.  The show definitely has its fans but... I am not one..  unless I do decide to give it another shot and happen to enjoy it in the end.  I just can't really take it seriously lol.  Sorry.

Some more recommendations.

Spirits/Supernatural/Demons/Special abilities/powers etc..

Shounen Onmyouji, Tactics, Codebreaker, Otome Youkai Zakuro, Ao no Exorcist, and Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

This type of genre is actually one of my favorite.. but it has to have a particular element in them to make me glued too though.  Shounen, Tactics, Zakuro, and Moribito are based in historical feudal times while Codebreaker and Exorcist are in modern time. 

I really love the main female character for Moribito.  Even though she's a female, she isn't those typical weaklings.  She can stand her ground.. (I love strong female leads <3). 

Sports animes~~~ (another favorite genre of mines)

There are quite a few great sports animes out there if you're into this genre.  I find it hilarious that I'm into sports anime but I'm only like half-half interested in real life sports :p

Baseball - Ace of Diamond, Major, Cross Game, Big Wind-up!

Basketball - Slam Dunk <---- (this one is a super popular classic anime, great laughs I tell you.), Kuroko no Basket, Dear Boys

Tennis - Prince of Tennis, Baby Steps

ImQueen

sarNie Adult
@aikoden, you definitely have more animes in your pants than me. LOL. Where do you find the time to watch all those? LOL. 

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
ImQueen said:
@aikoden, you definitely have more animes in your pants than mine. LOL. Where do you find the time to watch all those? LOL.
It's due to myself watching animes for the past decade+ since I've been watching them ever since my childhood... :)