Britney Songwriters Complain of Lee Hyo-lee 'Plagiarism'

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
Britney Songwriters Complain of Lee Hyo-lee 'Plagiarism'

Representatives for the writers of the Britney Spears song “Do Something” have written to the producers of K-pop star Lee Hyo-lee saying “parts” of the title song in Lee’s latest album “Get ya” are plagiarized. While this is not the first time the Korean pop industry has been accused of pilfering, it is the first time the copyright holder has formally complained.

Universal Music Publishing Korea, which handles copyright of “Do Something” here, said Thursday it sent a recording of “Get Ya” to the composers of the Spears song and the company that manages the copyright 15 days ago. In response, three out of the four composers agreed that the Lee song was “significantly influenced” by their own work “and there are some parts that constitute plagiarism,” Universal said.

There are no hard-and-fast criteria to decide what constitutes plagiarism in Korea, and any such allegations must be decided in court following a complaint by the author of the “original” work.

Universal said it will meet with the songwriters behind “Get Ya” to seek a settlement, but it did not rule out legal action. Murmurs about the startling similarity between the two songs arose as soon as Lee’s album hit the stores on Feb. 9. The artist herself denies anything other than temporary precedence of one work over the other, saying, “It’s just that Britney Spears did this funky style of music before me,” but insisted “Get Ya” was different in vocals, rhythm and tune.

(englishnews@chosun.com )
credit: http://english.chosun.com & asiandownload

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Penny said:
these days birtney has issues.her life is screwed.
[post="95801"][/post]​
oh yeah she definitely is. i used to be a fan of her in way back then where she has those goody good image... if she doesn't do those stupid things, she would be extreme famous seriously. i guess her break up with justin made her that way.

anyways, about hyori lee's song.. i knew its similiar to britney's ... don't asian entertainment copying american's a lot? i mean i always see korean singers/groups whatever sings to theirs. for example: that performance where baby vox sang britney's oops i did it again and lee rimes's don't fight the moonlight, hyori dances to beyonce 'crazy'... so many more... its sort of annoying to see others who tried to be like those american celebrities.. -_- since i don't see a lot of their own creativity, though. well, SOME...

natty

Chubs
what does britney's personal life have to do with the issue at hand? it's about time someone actually do something about plagirism..

Kkrystal

สุภาพบุรุษจุฑาเทพ
kitkat said:
oh yeah she definitely is. i used to be a fan of her in way back then where she has those goody good image... if she doesn't do those stupid things, she would be extreme famous seriously. i guess her break up with justin made her that way.

anyways, about hyori lee's song.. i knew its similiar to britney's ... don't asian entertainment copying american's a lot? i mean i always see korean singers/groups whatever sings to theirs. for example: that performance where baby vox sang britney's oops i did it again and lee rimes's don't fight the moonlight, hyori dances to beyonce 'crazy'... so many more... its sort of annoying to see others who tried to be like those american celebrities.. -_- since i don't see a lot of their own creativity, though. well, SOME...
[post="95905"][/post]​
Most of those song are just perform they didn't sell it. Just performing i think it's okay where in this case it's part of her album. Then again I can name some american singer/group that took korean beat, example Nynsc. I can name one girl that sang a song that boa sang but that was because the composer sold it both to boa and the other girl. However boa release her album first. Trying to remember her name. Maybe someone remember and can name her for me.
I think music and fashion is something we should share as long as it's properly credited. Ideas are made everyday it's just who comes out with it first gets the credit. Lolz i'm making no sense hehehe...

pii-nky

sarNie Juvenile
Kristie said:
no doubt lol

hyori's producer copied do something for sure...

[post="95837"][/post]​

yea-- i noticed that as well; i'm sure OTHER people did too.
But Britney's life now is so horrible; feelin sorry for her, but not really cuz she made the STUPIDEST choice to marry her backdancer && a druggie :sweat:

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Kkrystal said:
Most of those song are just perform they didn't sell it. Just performing i think it's okay where in this case it's part of her album. Then again I can name some american singer/group that took korean beat, example Nynsc. I can name one girl that sang a song that boa sang but that was because the composer sold it both to boa and the other girl. However boa release her album first. Trying to remember her name. Maybe someone remember and can name her for me.
I think music and fashion is something we should share as long as it's properly credited. Ideas are made everyday it's just who comes out with it first gets the credit. Lolz i'm making no sense hehehe...
[post="96018"][/post]​
ahh i see. i didn't know that nysnc took korean beat, though.. i'm not a fan of them. shinhwa did danced to their song which it's fine by me because they ONLY dance, not singing unlike baby vox/hyori who sang to lee rimes's 'dont' fight the moonlight' ;)

but i agreed with you about music/fashion are something we share together with credit properly. i guess no one seem bother crediting. :huh:

leah, i could upload 'get ya' but i don't have 'do something' :unsure: i don't collect britney albums no more.. lol.

Hiatus

Super Momo
whoever copy song annoys me unless they have BOUGHT the right if not screw you all GRRRRR.

a good ex: condition of my heart I think Justin wtv for A.Idol 1 bought the right to singit in english if not im not gonna be happy.

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
they are not that close.. i dont understand korean but do they use the same lyrics??! i mean come on.. if you're talking about the beats everyone use like the same beat for instance.. uhmm culo and move your body.. thanks kitkat and kristie

Linn

SarNworld Wonderer
similar beat n rhythm but diff tune n vocal...not exactly copying...maybe they got the inspiration from that

Jonnan

sarNie Egg
Yeah. When i first heard "Get Ya" i thought to myself... she is copying Britney's "Do Something"... eeh whater.

Muddie Murda

smile...
Like Namie, I wanna see how this turns out.

I don't know what britney's songs are like because I don't listen to American Music. They sound similiar and stuff here and there, but it's not bothering me because it's not like...ALIKE...haha

yo! MoMo! Can you tell me more about what you said? American Idol singing what to what what what?

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse

http://world.kbs.co.kr/

-pop star Lee Hyo-ri decided to temporarily go off the air due to allegations that parts of the title song from Lee’s latest album “Get Ya” are plagiarized. Lee Hyo-ri expressed her frustrations on the incident by saying, “I regret that I have to discontinue performing the song ‘Get Ya’ due to allegations of pilfering, but no one is to blame for the issue.” She added, “No matter who tells me what, I still have the pride and love for my new album in which I spent more than a year in preparation.” The singer who is known to have high standards in her music and deep concern for others, seemed to calmly accept the situation she is in. Murmurs about the startling similarity between Lee Hyo-ri’s “Get Ya” and Britney Spears’ “Do Something” arose as soon as Lee’s album hit the stores on Feb. 9th. Her flexible attitude in dealing with the criticism of her lip-sync performances and allegations of plagiarism has shown her evident professionalism. However, the singer and her management agency decided that it’s unreasonable to go on performing the song on the air, and canceled all of Lee’s performances starting from March 24th. Lee will go on a 2-week hiatus before reappearing on stages with a new single from the album. Lee will perform “Shall We Dance,” a medium tempo dance number when she returns to the stages.

credit AF