Anyone know of online sites that sell Sinh Mai Lao?

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
Thank you jaa!  :thumbsup:  :wub:  :blush:

Yeah, I like to plan a little ahead. We women have to at least get the dress we want. I probably won't be having a big (wedding) or anything (when it happens). lol But I do want the "prefect dress".

Really, you can design the pattern? I never knew that. That's interesting. I was just thinking that I want to sew some beading into the shirt to match the dress part. Hmm... ideas ideas, It's going to be so hard communicating because I hate that we don't have the Lao stores here that sells Sinhs. I like to see things myself than have someone else do it. 

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Well congratulations in advance for whenever that happens.  Don't forget to share pictures of that perfect dress once you've decided on one. :wink:

Yes you definitely can do your own design, but it takes few weeks or months to get it done.  Awhile back my mom got me the blue dress that you post on the first page, the very first picture, but the the wrap thing (the shaw or whatever you call them) is too short, I wanted long to my ankles, but they don't sell those, so my sister had them weave for me and drew the designs that match my sinh for them and they did it.  It took about 3 weeks to get it done, back then like 10 years ago... but I'm not sure how long it will takes now.

As for traditional wedding dress, if you're going to have it custom done, goes to those tailor that deal mainly with tradition wedding dress, they will know what to do and I'm pretty sure they can match anything you like on it.  You can even have them sew real gold chains on both bottom and top along with the wraps to match it.

Yeah I wouldn't want anyone to choose the dress/fabric for me either... especially there are so many fabrics with difference grades and designs.  You want to touch and feels how light or heavy the fabric is and the colors you like may not match your skin tone so is best to see it in person.  If you're really going to get married, just take that time off and go to Laos and look for it yourself, plus you need those gold pieces for your hair too, so it'll be nice go look for it yourself and get it to match your dress. :yes:

Oh the links I gave you, I don't think there is any wedding dress... you may want to messages them and see if they can post some wedding dress and tell them the color you wanted to see, also tell them your price ranges too.  I'm sure they will help out since they probably want to sell them, then have your relatives check it out in person once your think you're interest in them.  (Just an ideas, because I'm not sure too how they usually do it, never buy, just lurking HAHAHA)

You know what I hate the most is the new trend with the way they wears the dress so short now, up or high above the knees :thumbdown: I like the look of longer dresses, especially for wedding dresses.  :thumbsup:

Sorry for such a long post  :lolyup:  Have fun shopping around. Oh by the way, the links to ebay sinhs/dresses on first page... those are Thai styles and the material is so cheaply made, very light, you wouldn't want to use those for wedding, that's why the price is so cheap.

x0unerthanlater

Thank you so much for all the good advice! I've never looked at wedding dresses until now. I was seeing lots of beautiful pictures and new designs on facebook but noticed that the prices were really extravagant. I'm not too sure how I'll be able to pick a dress but good thing there is internet in Laos now. I was thinking of having my cousin Line me through video chat while she's at the store, LOL or just have her take lots of pictures of what they have per my preferences and go from there. So many options! 

If I have the chance, going to Laos would be the best option. I am due for a visit. But, Laos is kind of hectic right now. They are renovating the country like crazy. I think I'll get lost if I try to shop by myself Lol Good thing I have cousins in almost every city.

Omg, I know exactly what you mean about the shorter Sinh! It's so weird and not even pretty. It looks odd. Maybe on some girls it looks okay, but I'm 5'7" and it just looks strange on me. Esp. when it's not a "skirt" neither is it a dress. It's an odd length for a Sinh. I do not like it at all. When I was in Laos in 2010 and shopping for regular dresses, I told the shop owner I want the longest length possible. And when I go get the dress tailored I tell them not to decrease any length from the top.

Ahh, no wonder those ebay Sinhs are so cheap. Thanks! I'll stay away from those.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Not a problem, glad to help when I can and you're welcome. :rockon:

That will be great if your cousin can Line with you while doing the shop around.  If you can't see it in person, that is the best way to do it.

Yes that is just crazy, they're moving too much and too fast, I hope the country doesn't goes into those economy bubbles like some of the city here in the US where they're over builts.  Look at the new Vientiane Center shopping mall, there is hardly anyone there and yet they still continue building more.  They're just crowding the city with useless buildings. What they needs to do is improves their roads and expand out of the city instead of add more and more buildings. Vientiane is turning into crowding traffic jams like Bangkok now.

Yeah it look so weird on taller person lolz even looks weird on short persons too. Sinh is naturally figure-friendly and compromise women body no matter the shapes and sizes with the right length, but if is too short it doesn't look nice at all.  Look at the women of Sipsongpanna(Xishuangbanna) regions, they usually wears the sinhs long to their ankles and I personally think they look so pretty on them, no matter if they're short, tall or over weight.

Well, I can not wait to see your choice, I'm sure it will look beautiful.

Sorry off topic... talking about Sipsongpanna, I was watching their boran lakorn Sitorn-Manora on YT lolz is funny because I actually understand some of what they're saying :bhehe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWAgK-mJZQ

x0unerthanlater

That's so true. I've seen so many developments happen but not one for road repairs. The road to the countryside is so damaged it's ridiculous. I remember riding in a regular car on the road and felt like my internal organs were being rearranged. And when I rode on the tractor it's even worse. Those building, hotels, malls, supermarkets are so useless because no one shops in them. It's too expensive but the economy is still bad. The citizens have no way of living with those changes. Some of them "seem" to look like they're doing fine but overall there's a lot of ppl I heard that are starting to take out loans and using their land and assets as collateral to live a lavish lifestyle. Once they can't pay up they lose everything. It's so sad how they let the changes carry them away. I think there are still more poor citizens than the rich.

Lol, sorry a little off topic. But yes, I think the Line video chat is the best way to communicate. I just hope everything is in my price range. I don't want to spend a lot but at the same time I don't mind if it's good quality and worth it. After all, I'm only marrying once. Lol

I was wondering, have you seen or heard of ppl sewing designs on Sinhs themselves... or like sewing on beads/jewels ?

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
I know, isn't that sad that now the poor citizens is working for foreigners and the greedy richs getting richers by selling their soul/homeland to all these greedy foreigners. I have heard some of these old land-richs farmers sold their lands just to have money in the new banks that is popping up everywhere and some just the thought of having money in their hands, but they failed to see that once the money is gone they will have no where to go or make a living.  With the land they will atleast can farm or grow their own foods and vegetables to eat or sells.  SAD! SAD!  to see once again Lao is enslaved themselves to foreigners without a second thought of the next generations to come.  Anyway lets not get into that, lolz don't want to steps on anyone foots with my post I still want to be able to visit Laos and not being on any of their blacklists.

Gosh talking about the roads, I know how you feels LOL.  I'm surprised that pregnant ladies didn't loose their baby when they rides in the car around town.  Not only my guts was bouncy all around while travelling to the southern part, I think my head has some screw loose too from knocking and hitting so much when the car bounce. HAHAHA

No I have not see anyone do it themselves, but they have tailor do it for them.  But if you're good with beading and sewing I'm sure you can do it beautifully yourself.  You can always try it so you'll have one of a kind and your personal momento of your wedding forever that is personally yours.

While I was surfing I came across someone pic with gold beads on the wraps.  I send you link already, check it out.  Is that what you're talking about?

x0unerthanlater

Yeah, we can get carried away. I just wish the innocent people aren't hurt by it all but it's impossible not to be. Sad that they didn't learn from our ancestors...

I think my head has some screw loose too from knocking and hitting so much when the car bounce. HAHAHA

Same here! Lmao my spine has probably twisted around and around. Hahah

My dance teacher and mentor is a weaver, I think I'll ask her about designs! Lol I'm excited even though I don't have plans yet hahah

Thank you so much for the link. I love looking at Sinhs and the different styles. The beads on the Pa Bieng is beautiful. I like this new change.

Maggie Beth

sarNie Egg
My Fiance has a cousin in Vientiane with her own shop. This Silk on Facebook, her name is Nok. If you can translate for us, I'm sure she'll cut you a deal! She has agreed to create our wedding costumes, both the Sinh and Salong (we are both very tall, they call him 'Gnak' when he visits , so she is considered brave by the whole family for agreeing to outfit us), but I don't speak enough Lao to finalize the transaction , and she doesn't speak enough English. Yes, my honey is happy to help, but he hasn't spoken Lao much since the age of 10 or 11, so he's not much use.

If you're still in the market, she is very sweet and will be happy to help you, either way.