Lakorn fanbase

Orangeblossom

sarNie Juvenile
Not everyone here are Thai, can speak, or understand Thai. I'm just curious to see how many people in here are international fans. Where are you from? How did you initially get into watching lakorn? Where or how do you watch lakorn if you don't understand Thai?

I'm Cambodian lakorn watcher from the Pacific Northwest. I'm a avid lakorn watcher back when VHS was popular in the early 90s. My mom introduced me to lakorn dubbed in Khmer language. Back when kids were into Power Rangers, I'll be glued to the TV with my mom and siblings watching lakorn and Chinese TVB series. Nowadays I prefer watching lakorn with English subtitles. Occasionally I'll watch it with voiceover dubbed since it come out faster than Eng subs. Is it copy right infringement if someone subbed lakorn and make profit out of it? Someone need to get into this business. I haven't seen Thai lakorn DVD set with Eng subbed for sale yet.

ray95

sarNie Egg
Im a recent lakorn watcher, I don't know thai language at all actually. I'm from the US specifically the south (ex. Florida, Georgia, etc). I actually first started watching Lakorn on Viki, before they took all of them down, because I was interested in watching dramas from other countries other than South Korea and China. I got hooked by watching Pin anong and Game rak game rai ( I think thats the correct spelling). Although its hard to find english subbed lakorns nowadays though I still like watching them. Most of the people who were subbing previously weren't making a profit from it to my knowledge, but they were still taken down unfortunately. I wish there were more places to watch lakorns with english subtitles, if anyone knows of any please share!!

Maricon

sarNie Oldmaid
It's difficult looking for lakorns with English subtitles, I have the tendency to watch them as soon as possible because in the future it can be taken down. One of the best solutions is that all Thai channels must upload all lakorns online with English subtitles and make it available online for everyone to see. Don't they want to have international fans too? :)

ray95

sarNie Egg
It's difficult looking for lakorns with English subtitles, I have the tendency to watch them as soon as possible because in the future it can be taken down. One of the best solutions is that all Thai channels must upload all lakorns online with English subtitles and make it available online for everyone to see. Don't they want to have international fans too? :)
Yea that is my thought as well. But then again even korean drama companies are just getting on the bandwagon of providing english subtitles to SOME of there dramas personally (ex. Kbs world). Only lakorn tv station that gives some english subtitles is Gmmtv youtube page, Ive watched a couple things from there but it could definitely be better. It sad because I really want to watch them but theres literally nothing....

Falada

sarNie Adult
I'm also a lakorn watcher and love watching with eng subs, also. I personally don't believe that one should pay for english subs, and there are eng subbers out there subbing for free. And they get discouraged when their works are stolen and sold, because they work hard. I'm also a subber and this is the thing that gets me the most upset! All my time and hardwork stolen by others without permission!

If you want to watch Thai Lakorns eng sub and download them at alwaysmeena.wordpress.com and https://www.dailymotion.com/sooocute, because she have permission to upload and create download links. The wordpress may not have everything but she's working on it. :)
There are other great subbers like Neko, https://nekomeowmeow.wordpress.com/
And Thippy: http://www.dailymotion.com/thippysub. And others, you can find on the left sidebar on alwaysmeena's wordpress.

I hope this helps. It's better than spending money.

whitedove

sarNie Adult
Yea that is my thought as well. But then again even korean drama companies are just getting on the bandwagon of providing english subtitles to SOME of there dramas personally (ex. Kbs world). Only lakorn tv station that gives some english subtitles is Gmmtv youtube page, Ive watched a couple things from there but it could definitely be better. It sad because I really want to watch them but theres literally nothing....
GMMTV is only a production company under GMM Grammy, so not all GMM Grammy lakorns (from either GMM25 or OneHD) will be subbed. Basically only those produced by GMMTV will have subs and they tend to cater to teens and young people.

Cupid Candy

sarNie Coma
I'm canadian, i speak cambodian and my parents are avid watchers so naturally i watched whatever they watched since i was literally in my mom's womb. by middle school i watched so many interviews and lakorns with eng subs i picked up the language, it helps that my dad speaks thai too. if i'm watching lakorns alone i'll watch it in thai but with my parents i'll watch with dubbed versions.

D~D

sarNie Adult
I'm canadian, i speak cambodian and my parents are avid watchers so naturally i watched whatever they watched since i was literally in my mom's womb. by middle school i watched so many interviews and lakorns with eng subs i picked up the language, it helps that my dad speaks thai too. if i'm watching lakorns alone i'll watch it in thai but with my parents i'll watch with dubbed versions.
so you speak Khmer :). thats awesome. Is it true that Khmer and Thai words have a lot in common?

Orangeblossom

sarNie Juvenile
I'm also a lakorn watcher and love watching with eng subs, also. I personally don't believe that one should pay for english subs, and there are eng subbers out there subbing for free. And they get discouraged when their works are stolen and sold, because they work hard. I'm also a subber and this is the thing that gets me the most upset! All my time and hardwork stolen by others without permission!

If you want to watch Thai Lakorns eng sub and download them at alwaysmeena.wordpress.com and https://www.dailymotion.com/sooocute, because she have permission to upload and create download links. The wordpress may not have everything but she's working on it. :)
There are other great subbers like Neko, https://nekomeowmeow.wordpress.com/
And Thippy: http://www.dailymotion.com/thippysub. And others, you can find on the left sidebar on alwaysmeena's wordpress.

I hope this helps. It's better than spending money.
Thank you so much for sharing the link. I appreciate all the dedication and hard work subbers do for us international fans. Without you guys we won't be able to understand Thai. I'm starting to pick up some Thai words from watching it with Eng subtitles. Hopefully one day I will understand fluently. Thank you!!!

Orangeblossom

sarNie Juvenile
so you speak Khmer :). thats awesome. Is it true that Khmer and Thai words have a lot in common?
Not really. Khmer and Thai is a whole another language. Thai and Lao words are more similar except different accent. I know that most Lao and Thai people can understand each other languages.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I'm Cambodian and watched lakorns since I was in elementary school. I'm old now and still watching them but very selective with sub or no sub. I don't understand really but I love listening to their actual voice. Before I love listening to Mayura...now I prefer raw...sexier lol

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Not everyone here are Thai, can speak, or understand Thai. I'm just curious to see how many people in here are international fans. Where are you from? How did you initially get into watching lakorn? Where or how do you watch lakorn if you don't understand Thai?

I'm Cambodian lakorn watcher from the Pacific Northwest. I'm a avid lakorn watcher back when VHS was popular in the early 90s. My mom introduced me to lakorn dubbed in Khmer language. Back when kids were into Power Rangers, I'll be glued to the TV with my mom and siblings watching lakorn and Chinese TVB series. Nowadays I prefer watching lakorn with English subtitles. Occasionally I'll watch it with voiceover dubbed since it come out faster than Eng subs. Is it copy right infringement if someone subbed lakorn and make profit out of it? Someone need to get into this business. I haven't seen Thai lakorn DVD set with Eng subbed for sale yet.
I'm Hmong from Fresno. I started watching Thai lakorn from a young age in hmong dub, but at that time I wasn't that into it until my teens. My parents would go to this movie rental store and rent boran lakorns to watch. I usually ask them to tell me what they were saying, but that didn't quite help. I even bought two of Mos Patiparn's Karaoke VCD's which helped me learn Thai faster. Finally one year at the St Paul new year, I bought another Mos Karaoke VCD along with Bie's Hug Karaoke VCD. Falling in love with Bie got me more into Thai entertainment and I did way more searching on their language, comparing them to my language. Honestly Hmong and Thai language are not that different either because many words that Hmong use come from Thai language. Right now I can understand, read, speak and even write a little bit of Thai, and am trying to learn Thai Isaan and other Thai Dialects.

Orangeblossom

sarNie Juvenile
I'm Cambodian and watched lakorns since I was in elementary school. I'm old now and still watching them but very selective with sub or no sub. I don't understand really but I love listening to their actual voice. Before I love listening to Mayura...now I prefer raw...sexier lol
So sad Mayura went out of business.

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
Thai and Khmer are different languages that share the same sentence structure and grammar. A lot of the vocabulary is similar as both are originated from Sanskrit. Knowing one of them would give you the foundations to learn the other much faster compared to someone who isn't familar with either one. But regardless of your ethinicity/background, learning Thai is definitely achievable through perseverance.

Last edited:

sarNie Adult
I'm from the Philippines. Though it's also in the same region (Southeast Asia), Lakorns have not been shown here in our country, as far as I know. Although Mario Maurer had a brief stint here and has been popular since. Thai Movies are shown in local channels (dubbed in Filipino language) lately.

I started watching lakorns when I saw SJ uploaded in DoramaX264. that was back in late 2013. Been addicted since. Previously I've been watching East Asian doramas. I am thankful for all the peeps here in AFN and also those kind enough to upload English subbed Lakorns online for fueling my fangirling tendencies haha. Without English subs, i cannot read, speak or understand Thai, although watching it a lot made me pick up some familiar/common words.

Last edited:
P

PrincessKarina

I'm from the Philippines. Though it's also in the same region (Southeast Asia), Lakorns have not been shown here in our country, as far as I know. Although Mario Maurer had a brief stint here and has been popular since. Thai Movies are shown in local channels (dubbed in Filipino language) lately.

I started watching lakorns when I saw SJ uploaded in DoramaX264. that was back in late 2013. Been addicted since. Previously I've been watching East Asian lakorns. I am thankful for all the peeps here in AFN and also those kind enough to upload English subbed Lakorns online for fueling my fangirling tendencies haha. Without English subs, i cannot read, speak or understand Thai, although watching it a lot made me pick up some familiar/common words.
I love Mario too! He is one of my favorite Thai actor... :)