Viki subitltes

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Does anyone know how to rip the subtitle out from Viki? I'm dying to know because I never like streaming, the quality is terrible so I can't stand watching like that. :(

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Thank you but it's not an answer I'm looking for. I already have that link since kingofbeer first opened his blog. The main reason is I wanted to learn how to extract the subs so I can use it for my personal viewing especially lakorns. I asked kingofbeer, he said basic programming so that was it. There's another person but refused to 'reveal' his/her method that's different from kingofbeer. So if they know how then why can't we know, too. :rolleyes:

I'm sure y'all know how Viki is. Most videos tend not to appear online for a long period so eventually, I had to give up on those offline series except Ngao Asoke, I'm still waiting for it. *sighhh* I've tried Jettosubs' tutorial, man it's not really helpful if the subtitle overlaps the video. :shrug:

LakornGods

sarNie Hatchling
Thank you but it's not an answer I'm looking for. I already have that link since kingofbeer first opened his blog. The main reason is I wanted to learn how to extract the subs so I can use it for my personal viewing especially lakorns. I asked kingofbeer, he said basic programming so that was it. There's another person but refused to 'reveal' his/her method that's different from kingofbeer. So if they know how then why can't we know, too. :rolleyes:

I'm sure y'all know how Viki is. Most videos tend not to appear online for a long period so eventually, I had to give up on those offline series except Ngao Asoke, I'm still waiting for it. *sighhh* I've tried Jettosubs' tutorial, man it's not really helpful if the subtitle overlaps the video. :shrug:
wow, i've been looking for this solution too and never came across this jettosub's tutorial. i just glance over it and i think that it's easy enough to do. i already have 1/3 of the software and i totally get the techical stuff with subbing. thanks, got buddies asking me this same question. kitkat, i don't know how techny of a person you are, but below, i just copy and paste a message i sent to a friend on this question:

viki doesn't let us do that. for the channels that have released soft subs, it's usually the popular kdramas where there's a big team with someone having the time to go out of their way to generate subs for it outside of viki either by re-timming and re-inserting the subs that are provided by the viki team or using some complicated softwares. when people thank viki for the subs, they didn't download it from viki. someone generated it with the provide subs that the team did, thus that's why they credit the team NOT because they downlaoded it from viki. this function doesn't exist! there is no behind the scene button that us channel moderators click on to download the subs into .srt or .ass files. this is something viki does because they actaully sell our subs to streaming sites. it's something that people complain about because we did the work, but viki makes it exclusive. in the future, maybe it'll come.

kitkat

sarNie Elites
I'm aware that there might be no secret button but still, kingofbeer isn't part of any Viki teams so he got it by programming which is I don't know how. He said it's not even secret and gave us a link but from just looking at it, I don't understand a single thing at all. This is why he said only people who know a basic programming then they can get the subtitles on their own. I'm not a tech savvy but I can learn it as long as there's any tutorial available. I recently learned two lessons: DVDrip & timing within a week. Not too shabby, right? :dance1:

I already tried Jetto's but it's a fail. Good luck with that and let me know how it goes. ^_^ And I'm still waiting for someone to step up for Viki subs... ;)

peaches

sarNie Elites
below is how Joleum in soompi rip subtitles from dramafever which might work with viki

You click on "subtitles" on the right side of the page and then select all the text in that window (I just press ctrl A and later on delete the non-sub part, I hate scrolling ^^). Save the timings and lines as an txt file.

For creating the subs I use Subtitle Workshop (dunno if is the best, i have no experience with any other subbing programs but this one is easy enough and offers me enough options for creating a decent sub). Click "new subtitle" in the file menu and use the insert button to create extra lines. For these 45 min episodes, about 600 should usually suffice me thinks. Then right click on one of the lines you just created and select "Timings" - "Read timings from file". Choose the .txt file you saved earlier. Now repeat this step for "Text" - "Read texts frome file".

Delete the extra lines you don't need at the end of your file.

Again right click on one of the lines, click "Timings" and then "Duration Limits". The timings you've copied from DF only say when to start a new line but not when to end it. When in the middle of the conversation this is no problem, the line just disappears when the new line is due and they follow each other up quickly. But when at the end of a scene, the last sentence just stays on screen 'till it's time for the next one which can result in you staring at the same line for more than 30 sec. So if you set the duration limit of the lines, these lines will too disappear after a reasonable amount of time. Standard is set at 4000 milliseconds and I mostly just leave it at that.

The last step is syncing the the sub with the vid. Switch back and forth between the vid and subtitle workshop and change the timings by right clicking one of the lines, select "Timings" - "Set Delay" and then subtract or add a certain amount of seconds, minutes, hours (; This is often the most time consuming part. Sometimes you just have to find the right starting point for the whole set of lines since the amount of time between the different scenes is the same in all kind of video files. But since the 720p AS file of ep1 still contained the advertisements in between whereas the DF video didn't, I had to sync again after each advertisement block. If this is the case, make sure you select the "only delay selected lines" in the "Set Delay" window or you will mess up the parts you synced earlier (which I, of course, did multiple times)

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Both sites I already checked out and the first one is nothing to do with subtitle extractions from Viki. ^_^ I tried Joleum's, it won't work even I would rather have that method. I think it's only for Viki contributors that they can have a bulk translation because when I tried, it only let me copy one by one line which is it's too long for me. :( I guess no one here knows it... here goes my best shot. :cry:

mylove.

sarNie Egg
Both sites I already checked out and the first one is nothing to do with subtitle extractions from Viki. ^_^ I tried Joleum's, it won't work even I would rather have that method. I think it's only for Viki contributors that they can have a bulk translation because when I tried, it only let me copy one by one line which is it's too long for me. :( I guess no one here knows it... here goes my best shot. :cry:
Bulk translating does help but even with that you would have to re-time everything because of the multiple parts.

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Yeah I know. At least it's better to do one task instead of two(or three). Copy/Paste one by one AND timing are already too much to handle so I would rather do only timing since I already have my own DVD encodes. I've recently started one and the subs (that's already provided online) aren't even synced to mine because the length is different so I had to do the timing from scratch, anyway, :)

That's ok. I better finish my first one then see how's things going from there if I want to continue or not because I know how tedious it can be. ;)

mylove.

sarNie Egg
I just saw your post on your blog about timing. I think segmenting on Viki is more tedious than using Aegisub to make a timed file. Which is kind of why I wish Viki would allow us to upload a timing file. Anyway, I'm not sure how you're timing it but if you load the audio file and time using that it's faster. It's just that you would have to go back to double check to see if you missed anything important (in which you would do regardless of which method you use).

Sorry for the lack of help with your earlier issue. Viki use to have the bulk translation available to everyone but after their update it seems like it's just available for qualified contributors.

kitkat

sarNie Elites
Well I'm hearing-impaired so I load all 3 (audio in high volume, video, translations) at once. So I can time each line by listening/reading the audio then check the video to make sure it's at right mark and not to miss a thing. To me, it's tedious but it's worth every efforts I did, anything for HQ. This is why I want to learn how to extract the subtitle without needing to copy/paste/type each line otherwise it'll tire me out even more. I'm aware that I could've ask the fansubbers about the soft subtitle or translation but I'm doing it for my personal use. :)