❤️ Various ET News

WeirFany

sarNie Adult
The script was horrible. It’s Ch3’s highest-rated drama this year but audience feedback (especially on Twitter) was largely negative. Made Pope & Bella to act in multiple characters basically to capitalise on their koojin hype. Pra nang romance didn’t make sense, and their plot deviated from the novel. Basically script, direction and editing were poor. And this for a drama that had so much investment and support behind it, and fans have been waiting years for.
That was my number 1 complaint and why I haven't pushed myself to watch it bc time has passed and they literally kept their characters looking the same as parents while looking the "new leads". They literally could've had older actors/actresses play them and it would've been fine! Bc ain't no way in falling in love with someone who still looks correctly identical to my mom or my to be father in law lol

Pope had more versatility as a supporting character than he had been given as a leading actor. I love his overly playful/playboy characters he played. He perfected the annoying and mean type love interest but then all of a sudden once he got only "mature/ gentle" roles, it's like he forgot how to act too lol so I know he's capable

While for Mark, he's stuck in the teasing/bully love interest..."she falls first but he falls harder" type troupe who then becomes a gentle lover boy immediately.

nat12

sarNie Adult
That was my number 1 complaint and why I haven't pushed myself to watch it bc time has passed and they literally kept their characters looking the same as parents while looking the "new leads". They literally could've had older actors/actresses play them and it would've been fine! Bc ain't no way in falling in love with someone who still looks correctly identical to my mom or my to be father in law lol
Honestly, that was my first thought too. But that was Ch3’s stupid decision. The tiniest bright side to this was that Pope managed to distinguish his characters well that I kinda forgot they were all him after the first episode where all 3 appeared together. And it’s harder for him to differentiate them cos technically they’re all… warm, gentlemanly types? For Bella her characters are opposites of each other. But yes, the parents could have been played by other people. Ch3 just wanted both of them for their fan base.

But my biggest frustration was the script sucked. I felt that both leads were practically unlikeable characters. If they weren’t played by Pope & Bella, this show would have a rating of 2 at most. The plot progressed to a point which made little sense. People complained about supporting characters taking too much of screen time. But the scriptwriter had the audacity to say that because those characters were played by p’ek & n’ek of the channel, she had the responsibility of increasing their roles. Wtf. I like Great & Namtarn, but this drama truly insulted me as a viewer.

The last episode was No. 1 trending topic on twitter. But I think all the comments were negative. To the point that Broadcast did not compile a post with twitter comments like they did for the other eps. HAH.

You can just watch the clips of the show on YouTube. It will make as little sense as watching entire episodes. LOL

Pope’s Rid in Phrom Likhit started out as the playful, charming, crafty guy. I could see how the character was really designed to be a combination of both his parents and thought that was really cute. But the script turned him bratty and stupid. I was irritated by his character but ended up feeling so sorry for Pope.

lakornwatcher

sarNie Adult
Honestly, that was my first thought too. But that was Ch3’s stupid decision. The tiniest bright side to this was that Pope managed to distinguish his characters well that I kinda forgot they were all him after the first episode where all 3 appeared together. And it’s harder for him to differentiate them cos technically they’re all… warm, gentlemanly types? For Bella her characters are opposites of each other. But yes, the parents could have been played by other people. Ch3 just wanted both of them for their fan base.

But my biggest frustration was the script sucked. I felt that both leads were practically unlikeable characters. If they weren’t played by Pope & Bella, this show would have a rating of 2 at most. The plot progressed to a point which made little sense. People complained about supporting characters taking too much of screen time. But the scriptwriter had the audacity to say that because those characters were played by p’ek & n’ek of the channel, she had the responsibility of increasing their roles. Wtf. I like Great & Namtarn, but this drama truly insulted me as a viewer.

The last episode was No. 1 trending topic on twitter. But I think all the comments were negative. To the point that Broadcast did not compile a post with twitter comments like they did for the other eps. HAH.

You can just watch the clips of the show on YouTube. It will make as little sense as watching entire episodes. LOL

Pope’s Rid in Phrom Likhit started out as the playful, charming, crafty guy. I could see how the character was really designed to be a combination of both his parents and thought that was really cute. But the script turned him bratty and stupid. I was irritated by his character but ended up feeling so sorry for Pope.

Wow! I didn't bother to check out any thia dramas this yr. I did not know that it was this bad bc I thought they had good ratings for it?

twister02

M♥K
I think they both are typecast. Pope has tried to break out of his typecast but the audience didn’t respond well. Like in his drama with Chippy. And I could really see him trying in Phrom Likhit but it was a rubbish script that ruined the p’ek character the most. The audience and Ch3 producers just prefer to see him as the warm, gentle p’ek type. That’s his typecast. Mark is also typecast into a different character type.. but he’s also been typecast.

Staying on Ch3 will not help them break out of that mould too. The producers tend to choose to work on the same type of scripts that they have worked on in years. Actors in their 30’s onwards are less suitable for all these scripts that lack substance and simply focus on FIN and jin. But Ch3 only know to make that type of dramas. And they’re still stuck in their p’ek/n’ek/rai stereotypes and hierarchy.

Ch3 work on the same type of scripts they always have, then choose the actors that fit those typecast. So the actors also tend to get the same type of roles. Even if Bella is immensely talented, she’s also typecast in that n’ek with n’rai vibes character. Has anyone not realized that she slaps people in dramas in almost every drama in the last 5 years? That’s basically lakorn stereotype.

The biggest disappointment recently was Phrom Likhit. The scriptwriter basically just said that she added scenes for Great & Namtarn so that they can be outstanding cos they’re at the level or p’ek and n’ek of the channel. So Great’s character can stand out while p’ek is made to look stupid and ineffectual, while Namtarn gets more airtime but in a stupid n’rai role. WTF. This is a renowned scriptwriter saying that without feeling any guilt and thus this is why Thai drama ratings are circling the drain. I don’t expect my male leads to be perfect princes coming to rescue the princess on a white horse all the time. But damn it, how could she ruin the basic story to the point that viewers don’t even feel like rooting for the main couple to get together? In a romance drama about soulmates destined for each other???

I’m sad if Pope and Mark leaves cos that really means I’ll see them less often. Especially Pope. But it’s ok. Better to see them less but they end up being in shows that I want to watch them in.
It's not the channel's fault, it is the producer's fault. The production chooses the cast, writers, directors, etc. when it comes to their projects. They only consult the channel for the artist queue and what's not and to show which is subject to their approval. Plus, if someone goes freelance, it doesn't mean they won't work with the channel anymore. They still can if the production company hires them. Thong Ent has been doing this a lot of times. They even got Tor for their lakorn now. Ter also works with Ch3 dramas despite not having a contract with them. Baifern worked with them too despite being freelance.

The biggest issue I think is the production has their favorites. Thong Ent loves to cast A-listers or Anne felt internationally well-known for her lakorn to succeed outside Thailand. Broadcast love Bella and Pope. Other production companies have their favorites too. Sonix Boom starting to have Kim as their favorite and Mario for the male. Metta loves Mark. Plus, their loyalty to their directors and writers has been solid. They won't venture on new directors so the attack (for their dramas) is still the same. It isn't Ch3's fault. Blame the production companies. I think it is also happening with other channels.

For this, it's better really for artists not to have channel contracts, just production companies. Then, these companies can hire whoever they want for their lakorns.

nat12

sarNie Adult
Wow! I didn't bother to check out any thia dramas this yr. I did not know that it was this bad bc I thought they had good ratings for it?
They did. It’s Ch3’s highest-rated drama this year. But that’s the power of the fanbase - Pope’s, Bella’s and BPS. I mean, the movie did so well last year so that’s a hint of how big the fanbase is.

Which is why I guess to Ch3 and Broadcast they would consider the drama a success. But audience feedback was overwhelming disappointment.

nat12

sarNie Adult
@twister02 I agree that producers & production have the largest responsibility for decisions regarding script and casting. And each producer’s bias is very obvious. But the channel themselves also decides which actor each producer can have for each project, based on who they would like to push. Just look at the newbies that Ch3 pushed in Mor Luang, Phrom Likhit, and upcoming Duangjai Tewaprom. Those are definitely the channel’s choices.

Having actors on contract with them helps the channel control budget costs for each project. They also have a chance at developing stars loyal to them that they can leverage on for promotion. Contracted artists are cheaper than freelancers — especially those with name recognition. Ch3 can afford having Pope & Bella working on same drama because they’re contracted to the channel. Outside the channel I’m sure having them both on the same project would lead to such high costs that only a major studio like GDH can afford.

Though at the moment, I’m wondering why on earth Ch3 need so many actors on contract. They have already reduced airtime for their dramas. Of the existing timeslots, they still choose to air reruns instead of dramas that they already have in stock. They’re losing their mid-level actors cos they’re not getting enough opportunities.

I don’t watch much of other channels, so I can’t quite comment. But Ch3 seems to be in this weird cycle. The producers only make dramas that they want to make, even though they’ve made similar dramas before. But those aren’t what audiences today tend to like. The producers also tend to use actors that they prefer, regardless if they’re right for the character. The actors tend to stay loyal to producers because the scripts across the channel don’t vary much anyway. So they might as well choose productions where they know they’ll be well-treated and get to do lead roles, because in lead roles they get the most opportunity to shine.

twister02

M♥K
@twister02 I agree that producers & production have the largest responsibility for decisions regarding script and casting. And each producer’s bias is very obvious. But the channel themselves also decides which actor each producer can have for each project, based on who they would like to push. Just look at the newbies that Ch3 pushed in Mor Luang, Phrom Likhit, and upcoming Duangjai Tewaprom. Those are definitely the channel’s choices.

Having actors on contract with them helps the channel control budget costs for each project. They also have a chance at developing stars loyal to them that they can leverage on for promotion. Contracted artists are cheaper than freelancers — especially those with name recognition. Ch3 can afford having Pope & Bella working on same drama because they’re contracted to the channel. Outside the channel I’m sure having them both on the same project would lead to such high costs that only a major studio like GDH can afford.

Though at the moment, I’m wondering why on earth Ch3 need so many actors on contract. They have already reduced airtime for their dramas. Of the existing timeslots, they still choose to air reruns instead of dramas that they already have in stock. They’re losing their mid-level actors cos they’re not getting enough opportunities.

I don’t watch much of other channels, so I can’t quite comment. But Ch3 seems to be in this weird cycle. The producers only make dramas that they want to make, even though they’ve made similar dramas before. But those aren’t what audiences today tend to like. The producers also tend to use actors that they prefer, regardless if they’re right for the character. The actors tend to stay loyal to producers because the scripts across the channel don’t vary much anyway. So they might as well choose productions where they know they’ll be well-treated and get to do lead roles, because in lead roles they get the most opportunity to shine.
If freelancers aren't cheap, why CH3 allowed Anne to have Tor and Yaya together in her new project when they can veto that and ask Anne to select a praek from the list of their contract stars? Them together is sure would lead to high costs than selecting a contract praek. And not just Tor. Ter, Push, Baifern and Ice Pariss were able to work with CH3 as freelancers. I'm just saying that if CH3 really has full control over who they want to push, they could easily block this move from producers so they can push whoever they want to star in lakorns for those production companies. I don't know why the likes of Nadech, Yaya, MK, and other CH3 big stars stay in the channel if they can easily go freelancing and get paid more. This probably applies to the newbies (them getting paid less as contract stars)

Based on what I've observed this year, CH3 dramas have been trying to be on trend. Trying new genres too but tends to fail in the execution. Their dramas are getting raunchier too (which I usually only see from OneHD dramas) so in terms of "innovation" I think they are trying their best already to be in modern times for modern audiences.

I agree tho on what you said about the channel pushing some of the new actors/actresses. That might depend too on what is there in their contract and what Ch3 promised to them for them to sign an exclusive contract with them like how they convinced Bow to sign by promising to pair her with their A-lister praeks only.

nat12

sarNie Adult
@twister02 Anne is Ch3 royalty though. I can’t think of other producers who are comparable in terms of preferring to use only top stars. I think she is really given free hand in her casting choices. I’ve always thought she should do more to develop the newbies or mid-range actors. But I can’t quite say I generally like her dramas either so maybe I should speak less about it.

Maybe as long as she can manage her production budget, the channel is ok with it. But top freelancers really aren’t cheap. For example, Baifern’s drama payment rates per ep is almost twice what Yaya’s are. Which is how iAnne can afford to pair Yaya with Tor. And as a top freelance actress, Baifern’s schedules are harder to get. So for Ch3 producers who are interested in using top freelance artists, they really have to manage their shooting schedules well. Which Ch3 is notorious for having long shoot schedules. A few years ago when Baifern shot that drama with Nine, there was a bit of gossip of shooting overrun or delay which caused problems for her.

Based on what I've observed this year, CH3 dramas have been trying to be on trend. Trying new genres too but tends to fail in the execution. Their dramas are getting raunchier too (which I usually only see from OneHD dramas) so in terms of "innovation" I think they are trying their best already to be in modern times for modern audiences.
I agree with you on this. But I think the speed of their change is laggy? Some producers could be trying to make dramas that they think are trendy now, but their production time is taking so long that by the time dramas are ready for broadcast they might not be no longer suitable?

Personally I don’t quite care for just superficial changes in the dramas ー including making dramas raunchier just to attract people to watch. I feel like the script is still the most important. Next the right actors for the role. The star status helps, but is no longer a guarantee in attracting viewers to watch.

WeirFany

sarNie Adult
I would love for Anne to try and develop the younger generation. Like prove that your new skills of directing and stuff isn't just limited to your younger friends who are already massively popular. I don't think her dramas have been all that great either, they just get hype bc one it's her and who she has as her leads.

Anne22

sarNie Juvenile

honestly pope needs to start work on other project. he has been stuck with bps multiuniverse since 2018. at least bella has one successful movie and lakorn that is non bps related. In conclusion a successful drama should not have many sequel or wtvr they call. two is enough. (BPS has three including the movie). its getting boring. bps 2 still get high rating but it obviously underperform.

Anne22

sarNie Juvenile
Nadech recently renewed his contract for another 5 years. oh boy he still want to stay evetho the ch keep giving him mediocore lakorn . I want to see him in onehd lakorn so bad.

neenavaj

sarNie Adult
Ch3 must of
Nadech recently renewed his contract for another 5 years. oh boy he still want to stay evetho the ch keep giving him mediocore lakorn . I want to see him in onehd lakorn so bad.
I was disappointed to hear this news too. Boy needs to graduate! We want him in better roles! CH3 BETTER PAIR HIM UP WITH BELLA IF HE STAYING ANOTHER 5 YEARS!!! Only way they can redeem themselves for me.

nat12

sarNie Adult
honestly pope needs to start work on other project. he has been stuck with bps multiuniverse since 2018. at least bella has one successful movie and lakorn that is non bps related. In conclusion a successful drama should not have many sequel or wtvr they call. two is enough. (BPS has three including the movie). its getting boring. bps 2 still get high rating but it obviously underperform.
He knows that. I suspect that’s one of the reasons why he’s distancing himself publicly from Bella so much. Because if it were up to Ch3, they will just pair them together all the time. But him being stuck in BPS universe wasn’t all his choice though - it just how things came to be.

He’s still taking a break at the moment. I think a movie that he thought he would be working on fell through. And he’s said recently there’s still no new drama offers yet. I suspect he’s more choosy than ever when it comes to his next project now.

WeirFany

sarNie Adult
Wow ya'll weren't kidding about Nadech's resume. Yes, he's massively popular but he doesn't have many good dramas nor does he work with many new people-- what a block in his potential.

He's probably worked with Kimmy as much as he's worked with Yaya. And when he's not working with them, he'll have a filler with someone new but a crappy storyline. Is it that he just has a bad eye or is it bc they just give him bad ones or is it bc he's just not ambitious with his acting career and settles for whatever?? Yeah he wins acting awards but I feel like these awards shows award more for popularity than the acting alone bc how they can nearly a year without putting something new out but win best actor award.... but that's besides the point lol

Like I just want to see if there's Any of his I want to rewatch and there just isn't....I feel like he can do romcom but his comedy movies do just fine but he hasn't really been given a good romcom script enough--I don't count the disaster with Bow. I can't help but think if he's the problem bc Yaya has managed to have chemistry with Mark and Mario at least. I don't even think he really has chemistry with Kimmy despite having worked together so often. Like his experienced leading ladies he's worked with seems to have chemistry with other guys but him aside from Yaya ofc. Even then I don't think their real life chemistry always translated well onscreen in some dramas

neenavaj

sarNie Adult
Wow ya'll weren't kidding about Nadech's resume. Yes, he's massively popular but he doesn't have many good dramas nor does he work with many new people-- what a block in his potential.

I think that's the issue with most Thai actors...diverse roles aren't there. I think Nadech is getting older and you can see he wants to settle down, focus on building a family, popularity to him isn't what he is chasing anymore. He probably is staying with CH3 since its safe. If Ch3 was smart, they wouldn't pair him up with Yaya or Kim anymore. Nadech has been keeping a low profile on his life lately. He's focused on keeping private which I think is a good thing for him and Yaya. I still think he has a lot of potential as an actor, its really just the roles he's given that are just awful. We'll see how the one with Pie turns out.

WeirFany

sarNie Adult
I think that's the issue with most Thai actors...diverse roles aren't there. I think Nadech is getting older and you can see he wants to settle down, focus on building a family, popularity to him isn't what he is chasing anymore. He probably is staying with CH3 since its safe. If Ch3 was smart, they wouldn't pair him up with Yaya or Kim anymore. Nadech has been keeping a low profile on his life lately. He's focused on keeping private which I think is a good thing for him and Yaya. I still think he has a lot of potential as an actor, its really just the roles he's given that are just awful. We'll see how the one with Pie turns out.
So far getting to kiss all of his close best friends' woman hahaha I'm looking forward to the one with Pie too!

Yeah celebrity life isn't for Nadech. I think he just signs with Ch 3 bc it's safe, despite getting bad dramas, Ch. 3 treats him pretty good like royalty. So all he needs to do is 1 drama/1 movie a year, and then he's good plus all the ad work he's doing-- he's got more than enough money wise to last awhile. It's nice to see though, even as a casual fan to see someone as humble as him in the industry.

bit

sarNie Adult
Pretty much think that lakorn is just a side job for artist like Nadech or Yaya, they had much better income doing commercial or movies but for sake of being loyal and having a steady promotion, they can act in lakorn with CH3. Same like Mario, he had his freedom to do movies and commercial.

nat12

sarNie Adult
If Ch3 was smart, they wouldn't pair him up with Yaya or Kim anymore.
If the actors themselves don’t disagree with it, Ch3 will be relying on koojin marketing hype to death.

If they were smart, they will:
- GET BETTER SCRIPTWRITERS
- sub the clips of their dramas that they put on YouTube

But at the end of last year, many polls still place Ch3 daras as top stars of the country and Ch3 as the country’s top channel. So I’m guessing Ch3 will be thinking they’re still so good that they don’t need to do anything to change or improve.

Anyway, Nadech is doing a stage musical at Rachadalai. Good for him for trying something different?

nat12

sarNie Adult
Like I just want to see if there's Any of his I want to rewatch and there just isn't....I feel like he can do romcom but his comedy movies do just fine but he hasn't really been given a good romcom script enough--I don't count the disaster with Bow. I can't help but think if he's the problem bc Yaya has managed to have chemistry with Mark and Mario at least. I don't even think he really has chemistry with Kimmy despite having worked together so often. Like his experienced leading ladies he's worked with seems to have chemistry with other guys but him aside from Yaya ofc. Even then I don't think their real life chemistry always translated well onscreen in some dramas
Finally I feel like someone is articulating my thoughts about Nadech. I sometimes feel like his acting is okay… but kinda just hitting the mark? But like he’s not feeling it or into it. So I can’t get into it as well.

It’s like other p’eks… Mario, James Ji, Pope, Mark are also typecast and so their acting feels similar in each show. But I feel like they get into their characters more so I can feel more invested in them. But then I tend to find problems with scripts lol but at least I can tell the fault doesn’t lie with them, lol.

neenavaj

sarNie Adult
If the actors themselves don’t disagree with it, Ch3 will be relying on koojin marketing hype to death.

If they were smart, they will:
- GET BETTER SCRIPTWRITERS
- sub the clips of their dramas that they put on YouTube

But at the end of last year, many polls still place Ch3 daras as top stars of the country and Ch3 as the country’s top channel. So I’m guessing Ch3 will be thinking they’re still so good that they don’t need to do anything to change or improve.

Anyway, Nadech is doing a stage musical at Rachadalai. Good for him for trying something different?
Agreed. CH3 needs to invest in story and writing. That is what sells. In every market, this is what gets people watching. BPS is the perfect example of how good storytelling will attract viewers.

I am actually very proud Nadech is taking on theater. Some of the finest actors I have watched over the years started in theater. I have faith in his work, I believe it will only make him a stronger actor.