A Relationship with a Best Friend

Iya

sarNie Adult
Okay, so I've been stumped with this questions for about four years now and I feel like I still don't know an answer to it. Here's the story:

I met a guy friend the first day of my freshman year and had instantly clicked. We felt as if we have known each other forever and get along better than me and most my other friends. In the first year, he had asked me out, but I refused on the basis that I don't want to date in my high school year. Plus, he is younger and I'm not ready for a relatioinship or a commitment. therefore, we stayed friend. however we became closer, because he would come to me about his relationship with the others girls he's dating.

I didn't see him much of my sophmore year or my junior, but we never loose our closeness. we hung out only at school, and that's only if we cross each other in the hallway or ended up pairing up in an event at school. but even then, he had asked me out again after he ended a relationship with another girl. Of course, i say no, but we're still okay with it.

in my junior year, my friends tried to convince me to go out with him. since i've been considering the prospect of dating and having a relationship, i've decided to agree, though i wasn't sure where my feeligns for him stands now. i've become closer to him and everything, but i don't think i love him that way. so i told my friends that i will go out with him if he ask me again. of course, i made them promise to never tell him about it. they agreed. luckily that year, he didn't ask me again.

this year, our senior year together, he found out about the promise, after it was off, and was upset that i didn't tell him, but he was okay with it since he has a steady college girlfriend now.

the thing is thought, ever since he found out, he's been acting all closer to me. he would put his arms around me when we're walking in the hall or hold my hand (interlock style). at first i thought nothing of it, because he has always been an affectionate kind of guy, always giving big bear hugs and all that, but now it's getting a little too affectionate (especially when he's dating someone right now). hey, he even asked me to be his date for the prom, but i say no, telling him that he has a girlfriend (and should bring her) and that i want to meet her.

sometime, i want to tell him that were just best friend (he brought it up since i've been his constant friend for fours year and we talk about alot of things that we don't with other people. and i've told him things i don't even tell my godsister, who is like a best friend to me) and should not be so affectiionate, espcially with the holding hands and all that, but then i don't want to lose good relationship.

truth to be told, there are times that i've considered taht if he broke off with his gf, i might go out with him, but i always scratch it out. i don't want to be a third person, yet i've always give him advice when he has problem with her.

i also feel that he has feelign for me all this time because he had gotten more affectionate towards me this year and never hestitate to put his arms around me or hold my hands out in public. when that happened, i become lost and let him do it. only to scold myself afterward for letting it go too far.

I've been thinking of putting a distance in the relationship, but it's hard since we've been close friend and it would seem like i'm abandoning him.

anyone know what i should go? he IS my best friend. right now, i'm trying not to encourage him, but it's hard to be when he's a very affectionate person and someone who i share alot of things with. plus, i've never met his gf, but I know that i would never try to break the relationship. from what he told me about her, i really like her. she seem to be a caring, lovely, and affectinate girl.

he told me that he'll be bringing her to the prom and he'll introduce us there.

should i let things go as they should? or should I put more distance between us? give me your opinion.

lakorndemon

sarNie Hatchling
Dear whiteflakes,

I know it's against the rules to post this opinion up since this is my friend's account and she told me not to mess around, but your story just touch me a little there for a while. And so I'll give you an advice from my opinion, it's ok for him to do all that stuff, just as long as he doesn't go any further than to hold hands and putting his arms around you (though I do personally think that putting his arms around you is going far enough for I only see girlfriends and boyfriends have done it). Anyways, I think your friendship is doing fine and there's not a problem. At least you're not jealous and not causing trouble to him, then that's is all. A friend at your and his level is a very special gift though many people will consider it cute. And of course, putting a little distance is necessary also but not as far to lose him and of course, making him wait is putting enough distance as usual. Remember, you are that extra pillar that support him as every friend should do. Never lose that bridge that you both built together is all I'm saying. whiteflakes, I consider you to be lucky to have such a friend and I hope you guys will hold that bridge together. Good luck with your relationship, hope my advice help.

-From,
daimond's friend and partner of fanfics

p.s.
He might also be your past lover. Hahahaha, just kidding but good luck.

Iya

sarNie Adult
Dear whiteflakes,

I know it's against the rules to post this opinion up since this is my friend's account and she told me not to mess around, but your story just touch me a little there for a while. And so I'll give you an advice from my opinion, it's ok for him to do all that stuff, just as long as he doesn't go any further than to hold hands and putting his arms around you (though I do personally think that putting his arms around you is going far enough for I only see girlfriends and boyfriends have done it). Anyways, I think your friendship is doing fine and there's not a problem. At least you're not jealous and not causing trouble to him, then that's is all. A friend at your and his level is a very special gift though many people will consider it cute. And of course, putting a little distance is necessary also but not as far to lose him and of course, making him wait is putting enough distance as usual. Remember, you are that extra pillar that support him as every friend should do. Never lose that bridge that you both built together is all I'm saying. whiteflakes, I consider you to be lucky to have such a friend and I hope you guys will hold that bridge together. Good luck with your relationship, hope my advice help.

-From,
daimond's friend and partner of fanfics

p.s.
He might also be your past lover. Hahahaha, just kidding but good luck.
thank you diamond's friend and partner of fanfics. your opinion really helps, since now i feel better about our relationship. yes, i know that my relationship with him is special. that's why i've going through this hard time not knowing what to do with it now that it comes this far.

i will take your advice and will put a small distance, but not enough to lose it. thank you so much.

:)