Been mistaken for another race

candi

sarNie Juvenile
i was once mistaken to be a mongolian, well i don't even know if hmong ppls are mongolians.
when i tell people im hmong, they'd said "mongolian?" ..sometimes, im too tired to correct them so id just said "yes." people thought i was chinese too...and i dont correct them half the time...only if id be seeing them alot then ill correct them but if its just random people or people i knows i wont keep in touch with, i dont correct them at all.

Napat01

sarNie Juvenile
You ladies have funny stories! I usually get mistaken for being Indian and since I don't eat pork or beef they say I probably was Indian. One time one of my brother's friend's sister came over and she said I looked Indian. Another time I was at a party and the ladies sitting with us asked me to take a picture and so I did and after that she said I looked Indian. The first time I think was when one of my grandma asked my aunt, "Who is that Indian girl following them (my parents) around?". I guess it's because I have long black hair and darker skin I get mistaken for being Indian.

chouakim

TTFC♥
I get a lot of Korean and Chinese. The Koreans think I'm Chinese and the Chinese think I'm Korean. o_O
Anywho, in the end kuv yeej yog Hmoob xwb. :)

noue

sarNie Egg
ha i find it super funny.. ppl are just crazy but yes i've also been mistaken for korean and chinese and viet..
eh wats evs i just say yeah if you dont know what hmong is google it..we dont need plastic surgery to look good..

smilealways06

sarNie Adult
lol it's quite funny reading some of the stories of how people mistaken ourselves for some other race...well here's my story...every time me and my sis. or bro. goes to hmong market people would like to stared at us like where some kind of race...n i always tell my sis. that maybe people think we are some kind of race that looks so different that we're not hmong but is shopping in a hmong store lol...anyways I've been mistaken for mostly Filipino (which I don't even have dark skin but usually in the summer but not no more cuz i don't go out much like when i was a child lol), I'm also mistaken for Laotian, Cambodian, even Khmer...people won't notice I'm hmong if I don't speak it lol...especially the old people, if they are really curious of what race I'm am they'll ask me r u hmong? then i'll just answer in hmong to them yeah i'm hmong, n they'll go on saying oh wow i thought you were Laos...or something...lol i got mistaken for quite sometimes too...lol it's even ironic to me when i tell my mom that people mistaken me for some other race and my mom would say maybe because our great grandparents where half lao too...n i'm like maybe that's some kind of reason people think i'm not hmong lol...