block other people from accessing my wireless network

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
Not sure if this question has been asked before, but i want to know how to block people in my family from accessing my wireless network. I want to prevent my siblings from connecting to my computer when they spend too much time already on the Internet. When they need to do homework and other important stuff, I will unblock it again. Anyone know a quick way? Any way would be fine.

darvil

sarNie Adult
first of all, does your wireless have a password? Basically is it secure?

If its not then you should go secure it asap.

All you need to do is to change the password if you want them to be out then use the regular pass once you allow them to have internet access back.

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
thank you for reply. I don't think I have a password set for it, besides the network name and key. I tried following some instructions to reset the password by typing the router ip address (???), but the user name and password that i entered were incorrect. i've tried resetting by pushing that little button on the back of the router, to reset the password back to default, but never work. i'm stuck.

darvil

sarNie Adult
if you reset the password back to default then you will be able to use the default login. The default depends on the specific router model and brand.

For example it could be admin/admin or nothing in username with just admin in the password or admin/password

If you can't figure it out then you can google for the information using your router model. Should be easy enough.

When you're done go to the wireless security setting and make sure you set WPA (not WEP) and put some kinda password on it.

mmm0403

sarNie Juvenile
ok - i finally got inside the linksys 192.168... ip firewall page, how can i change the password? restrict other people in my family to access my wireless network? we have like two other laptops that connect thru my network. can i restrict them by reset the setting on the access restrictions page? I reset ot the default, and now my network name and they key are gone. it's strange. the status on my computer says there's no connection, but i can still browse the net. my network list does not display, the one that was setup with the key.