Bride Price

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
i'm gonna save up a lot of money and buy myself. it's gonna take a while though cuz i made myself pretty damn expensive.

but then again, spring is coming up...and u know what that means, SPRING SALE-50% OFF! hahaha

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
My dad says that in our traditions, if they sell the bride for a lower price, that means they love that daughter more and if they sell the bride for more, then it means they had lots of trouble raising her haha. I questioned it at my aunt's engagement. I was surprised that my grandma charged a low sum for her dowry because I always thought they charge more if you are worth more. In our case, I guess not.
Thats what i heard too in the mien tradition...i was like oh hell no...lolz...

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I'm worth so much to my parents don't wanna give me up. :lol:

In the old days I bet I could've fetch a good price, I'm the only daughter and eldest child, plus I got all the brains in the family. :p

CTR

The Realist guy here period
It really is just a tradition.. a tradition that will disappear soon so we all might enjoy it while it lasts. I think in Thailand is called sin sot and I was reading some really elaborate traditions on this. If I'm not mistaken in most cases the money is actually given back to you so that you can use it in the new marriage. Its just a way to show that you have the ability to take care of the woman.

I mean it kinda sucks that some people will earn less money but usually you DO get what you pay for ;)

Now that we're talking about this. I just learned my cousin just got hitched. The funny thing is that the woman family actually gave him money for the sin sot so yea.. its not so bad. Free money baby!
That what happened to my friend. His in-law are Vietnamese. They just wanted to see if he could provide for their daughter. His parents gave back the 5,000 for them to go on their honeymoon. That money was for spending on the honeymoon. All her mom wanted was a good wedding and reception. He shelled out $20,000 for the wedding and the reception. It took him a long time to save that money up but at the end he was able to prove to them that he was serious about her.

neangnee

sarNie Hatchling
Hmm, I think in our tradition, the bride's family has always paid for the cost of the wedding. I'm hazy on the dowry bit. I don't think any of it will apply to me though. My parents just ask me if I'll ever marry anyone, or if I'll even tell them if I get married. ^_^ They're very conservatively Asian in way of life, but when it comes to marriage, they've thrown in the towel.