Can't Delete File/Folder, name too long.

SokLaHote

sarNie Adult
Well, I downloaded a zipped mp3 file from the buddy media onto my external hard drive. I unzipped it and added to my itunes. When I tried to drag the songs onto my ipod it says that the mp3 can not be found. So I went to the file on my external hard drive. To my surprised that file I just unzipped turned into some other wacky file with long names and took up 145GB of space. So I purchased a program online that supposed to delete these files with long names and paths. Didn't work. In the process I found that I had another file I downloaded here that took up 130GB of space. Now those two files are just sitting there taking up space. Anyone have a clue on how to get rid of them? I went online to Microsoft website to find answers but nothing helped.

Onto my next problem, the BSOD. I took my computer in to the Idiot Squad at Best Buy (Wasted $200) dollars and I'm still getting that shit. What can I do. I'm starting to get tired of Windows and PC. Is a Mac any better? Please tell me. If so, my next computer (5th one) will be a Mac.

Off topic, Best Buy Idiot Squad sucks and so does some of their product. I bought a big screen there and this week the Idiot Squad will come by, for the 3rd time since I bought the tv in 2007 to fix it. Good thing I had a warranty but what good is it when they can't fix it?

K, done ranting. Hope to get some answers.

cecilia

Staff member
i don't know if this will influence your or not but i went through windows like crazy too -- on my 5th computer last two months -- it died on me .. so yup, i move on to mac and am i glad or what. sure there are some programs that mac doesn't take but at least, it's virus free -- i have not have any trouble yet -- and i have come across some good program by trying here and there.

my dad's on his 2nd windows last week -- he plan to get mac next lol

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
You should just reformat that fixes everything and when you get the bsod an easy solution would be to unplug your cords and remove your battery for a few seconds and put it back in. What brand is your comp by the way? Sometimes that has something to do with it also.

I think mac is better for people who doesn't like dealing with windows crap lol I like windows 7 but I have to admit I wouldn't mind a mac. Except Mac's can't support alot of my games and programs unless I do dual boot which I don't really want to do.

The solution to your problem would be just to reformat ja ... create a few recovery cd's and then do a full reformat ..

It's weird to me when people say they've gone through like 5 computers with windows @ cece LOL because I still have my computer from 7 years ago and it's windows... my MAC actually broke before my Windows did lol. I've had some problems with my windows but a reformat fixed it all LOL .... I'm actually rebuilding my 7 year old computer lol to updgrade it lol

My laptops both of them are windows ... usually if I have problems with windows its because of a hardware issue like the laptop itself and not windows 7 netbook is also windows, but I plan to get a macbook instead of keeping this netbook.

You can also try scanning with VIPRE Free Trial it works really well its one of the top line antiviruses better than norton and kapersky

cecilia

Staff member
^Muahaha, tinah, you're lucky. Windows definitely rock in almost all programs. Before i get mac -- i consider all the pros and cons and b/c of past experiences, i give up. Sadly, every time i take windows to have my brother in law take a look over -- it's fix for a few months and then break on me again -- constantly like this and with the virus protection .. it's not helping either -- that's why after going through the same process over and over again and again, i give up.

sajenna

sarNie Oldmaid
i use windows vista and it's ok for me, of course it's not the best but it's bearable. i don't have any problems with it and since i buyed my laptop i never have to make a recovery. i'm the only user of course. mac i don't like it, expensive and i don't care about the design but more about what is has. i don't even own an ipod or iphones!
i don't know what version of windows you have but try this thing : click

SokLaHote

sarNie Adult
I currently have Window Vista on both my laptop, Toshiba (Was the cheapest at the time) and my desktop (the one with the problems) is Hp. I haven't had any problems with my laptop yet. Both pc and laptop have Trend antivirus and spyware, which I'm thinking of changing when my subscription expires. So, Tina how would I deal with the BSOD on the desktop, the Hp? First problem I had was a bad hard drive which got replaced by the Idiot Squad and from there the BSOD starting coming. So from there I took it back to them and they reformated it. The problem still happens at least 2 to 3 times when I'm using the computer. Also, how would I reformat my external hard drive? I'm no genius with computers. I learn as I go. Anywho, talking about operating systems, my favorite out of all the Windows program was Window 98 (which was on my very first computer). I don't care for Vista at all but it came with current computers. I also did not mind Windows XP. I'm only thinking of a Mac because I pretty tired of Windows. The ONLY one I did not ever have a problem with was my first computer from 1998 with Windows 98 which I then upgraded to Windows XP. So far I've had a Micron computer (the best one), Gateway (crashed), Hp(tons of problems), and Toshiba (no problems yet). Is it the program or my choices in computers? I appreciate any and all inputs.

cecilia

Staff member
^i could not agree more. i had three HP computers and man, are they suck or what with the virus protection, compaq suck as well -- dell crashed on me too lol -- left over now is the emachine which starting to break but then again, i have this emachine for a good 3 years so it's alright if it want to died LOl ..

i'm happy i convert to mac -- i used to hate it now but i love it for the things it does -- don't have to worry about virus b/c of the incompatibility thing i can't do (sorta like a disable but if it has the right med, it runs great)

Kudaranai

sarNie Adult
About the files you can't delete, have you tried Unlocker? http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/
It's what I use. It can either just kill the processes or delete the files for you.

About Windows...I've been using mine for nearly 8 years, but I still haven't switched over. I've format about 3 or 4 times though, but it's all good.

SokLaHote

sarNie Adult
About the files you can't delete, have you tried Unlocker? http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/
It's what I use. It can either just kill the processes or delete the files for you.

About Windows...I've been using mine for nearly 8 years, but I still haven't switched over. I've format about 3 or 4 times though, but it's all good.
Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try once I get everything in my computer room and computer a bit more organized. I haven't even balanced my checkbook since March.

sajenna

sarNie Oldmaid
if you have vista, try the link i gave to you, i used to have the same problem with a corrupted iso which was 4,3 gb and on my hdd it was only about 2 gb so i add "take ownership" and then i delete this file like usually.