CL US debut: Will she make it or break it?

fun

Expired Sarnie
If you know me I am a huge fan of YG artists especially 2ne1. They my girls and I can get vicious. Well not to the point of those crazy fans but I know where not to cross the line. 

How do you feel about CL soon to debut in America? I believed 2ne1 would have made it but after seeing CL perform for the American audience a few weeks ago, I don't think she will make it. Her shorts and shirts are getting shorter and she is showing more skin than ever. Not that I am against it, but she looks trashy. She does not possess that woman empowerment.

A reason why Korean fail the American market is because they quit after one try. If only they continued to dab in the water and be themselves, I am sure it would not be a problem but I am so disappointed. You know you can get famous and recognized without the need to strip your clothes off and dance dirty. It doesn't work here. Lorde, take her for example. Did she shake her booty? Adele? I know I am naming only Caucasian... Far East Movement made a brief moment when they hit #1 on the billboard in 2010 with Like A G6. If they create music like their Korean album but in English instead, they might have a chance. 

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
Watched the video briefly and I did not like her outfit. I think her stylist could have picked something waaaaay better. I don't listen to 2NE1 all that much but CL's rapping was not on point for that performance. She sounded like those typical "Asian" female rappers. And there's a reason why none of those Asian female rappers make it big in the US, let alone someone from overseas trying to debut here. The lyrics weren't fascinating either... very blah and not empowering to women at all. I've heard CL rapping before, and this performance does not define her. I hope she doesn't think this style is what the American audience want from her.

mayag

sarNie Adult
Yea I felt the same after watching that performance. When 2NE1 first debuted, I was in love in with CL. I loved everything she stood for and how she could rock the stage covered from head to toe. She was seriously such an inspiration to me. But now she's no different than all the trashy rappers you see today. I mean seeing her dressed like that isn't something new to me because she has been experimenting since her early days. But these days, I feel like it's all a bit too much. Besides, if this is the route she's taking, there's nothing new that she brings to the table when we already have Nicki Minaj and Iggy Azalea with their butts and boobs hanging out all the time.

On top of that, her lyrical ability in English is quite bad. If she does make it, she's definitely going to get a lot of hate for that.

AND I don't like the people she's working with...Diplo, Skrillex....their music is complete crap.

fun

Expired Sarnie
I don't like the people she works with either. I mean they have music I can sometime jam to at the clubs but nothing spectacular. 

If she has good writer to write her raps for her, I think it is doable. She was trying so hard to be hardcore that it backfired. I think Bom could do a much better job. I used to like Nicki Minaj during her Super Bass days. I guess fame f-s you up? 

mayag

sarNie Adult
Exactly. They do make some fun party music but...that's all there is to them...

Yes!! Bom has such a unique voice and singing style that she could definitely click. She just needs a good enough song to supplement them. But I definitely don't see a solo debut happening for her anytime soon~  :cry:

I still like Nicki Minaj as a person. She's straightforward and isn't afraid to say things as it is. But yes, musically, she seems to be diminishing every album release.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I was a 2ne1 fan majority due to Bom... I don't keep up to date with kpop music anymore though because I lack interest now because it's just repetition... And I would like some originality. Sigh...

As for CL, she's a good rapper but she is starting to remind me of all the Korean female idol rappers... In terms of lookwise too, like what y'all mentioned.

I personally think she's trying too hard to be badass now. If you're badass, it comes naturally, no need to flaunt that you're badass. It just makes you more arrogant or conceited looking.

Look at my Queen Tasha. No one is even on her level yet, and she still stay true to herself and keep her originality and creativity. She doesn't even need to go mainstream to show how talented she is.

I know I'm going to get some hate, but that's my honest opinion. Sigh, ummm... Good luck to CL in trying to make it in the US. Even big name artists like Utada, Se7en, or Boa didn't make it.

Sometimes, no matter how big and popular you are, it's better to just stay in your home country....

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
I'm not a fan of CL or 2NE1, & I don't think she'll make it far in the U.S. Look at the people she surrounds herself with. Diplo is probably the WORST person. He might be well known, but his image is so problematic. He comes off as douchy, trashy & just rude, especially to women. He's the last person CL should be around, especially if you're trying to make it big in the U.S.

Being Asian & all, i do wish for her success, but I just don't trust the guys she's debuting with.

fun

Expired Sarnie
I feel that Western artists, composers and lyricists don't know how to work with Asian people... as in bring the best in them. My ears bled when 2ne1 worked with Will.i.am on Getting Dumb. It wasn't a terrible song but the lyrics was just DUMB. 

I feel that Asians are such sore loser lol they stop after one failure. There are many well known artists/singers who struggled a while before getting the recognition they have today. 

I like Boa but I don't think she is Korea's best female artist. Sure she has been in the industry since young but I don't consider her the queen of Korean pop.

mayag

sarNie Adult
Will.i.am's music sucks these days. They're quite forgettable.

Lol yea..I guess it may be an ego thing. They're already huge in Korea so they don't want to show an image of them constantly failing in the US?

I have to agree with you there. Some people were saying, "Even BoA didn't make it in the US, then how can CL even think of trying?". These people don't realize how much more influential 2NE1 is internationally compared to BoA. CL definitely has a much better chance. But...sadly...I'm starting think she won't make it either.  :cry:

fun

Expired Sarnie
I admit Boa does dominate the Japanese and Korean music market but elsewhere I don't think she has that big of an impact. I am not sure about the Chinese market since they are in their own little world. 

As much as I wish for CL to make a name for herself in the West, I just don't see it happening with the path she's taking. 

I am thinking Megan Lee has a better chance. Disney and Nickelodeon has made some huge stars. The thing with Megan is that she doesn't have the charisma. She might just be another Brenda Song, an Asian girl who had dab into the music industry but didn't really get anywhere. Yes Brenda has released a few songs that I didn't even know she had lol 

mayag

sarNie Adult
Yea BoA does have a strong fan base in Korea and Japan but that's about it.

Awww I miss Brenda Song!! Isn't she half Thai?
Yea I agree. That "it" factor is missing in Megan. I do believe Brenda could have made it big though. I guess she didn't have a great marketing system in place.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
CL most likely will not make it in the US. If she does it will be a one hit wonder like Psy's Gangnam Style. Skrillex is top 3 dj in the world, so for the EDM scene he is big and if you can make it big with him, CL is set worldwide and not just US/Korea/Japan. If she wants to succeed, the writer better be the best of the best and work with other mainstream female artists to show women's 'independence' because that is what seems to be the popular thing right now. Didn't she have a video where she hangs out with JB, Arianna, and Big Sean?

fun

Expired Sarnie
What a shocker! I actually like Dr. Pepper! The lyrics is LMAO but somehow it worked for me. 

fantastic_27

''SMTown'
CL already made it in Korea, I mean I don't mind her in America but she won't make it . I love her unique styles and and everything but it just doesn't work , I mean she may got scooter on her team but she won't make it as popular in the usa. She'll just be another Asian girl .

fantastic_27

''SMTown'
I mean, I think ailee has a better shot, she is debuting soon in america, I love all of her songs .. they're not all hip hop like cl where only some would like, I only liked one song by cl which was MTBD

fun

Expired Sarnie
fantastic_27 said:
I mean, I think ailee has a better shot, she is debuting soon in america, I love all of her songs .. they're not all hip hop like cl where only some would like, I only liked one song by cl which was MTBD
Ailee tried to hit the Western music industry. She was on a talk show before her debut in Korea. I don't think Ailee will survive either. Granted that she has the voice but to me she's just one of those people with a very good voice.

I actually like how she sings before than now. There's just so much depth and soul.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naJPsnfpFdM

Listen to Ailee official cover of Sakura 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKEln8GOuk

Compare that to this. Ailee has a better voice but the original has so much depth and emotion in her voice. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1jowpHgAh8

Ailee can't convey emotions into her songs. She has a powerful voice but what's the use of that when you can't emote?

mayag

sarNie Adult
So was Dr. Pepper's CL's official debut??? Please tell me no!

I'm not happy with where she's headed though. Recently, she performed on stage in...well, basically a thong. Definitely not the girl I once admired. :/

fun

Expired Sarnie
No, it's not her official debut. 

She no longer has that woman empowerment vibe to her. I am all for skin showing and I know she is now a grown adult but it was not tastefully done. I was so disappointed in her choice of clothing, the tong is such a turnoff.

mayag

sarNie Adult
Okay that's good!

I just don't enjoy seeing girls dressed with half their butts and/or boobs out.
Did you guys see the two teasers of the M/V making?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCPs-B7l8Uw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_k_8Sng-9M[/media]