Cockfighting ring busted

kue1982

sarNie Egg
Hmong ppls need to stop doing this kind of things!!!!!! :arrg:

Anoka County authorities on Saturday confiscated more than 100 birds, many injured, and arrested a 23-year-old Ramsey man.
By ABBY SIMONS, Star Tribune
Last update: September 3, 2008 - 10:28 AM

With stacks of caged chickens as their backdrop -- some starving, others scarred, bleeding or featherless with their beaks hacked off -- officials Tuesday decried the cruelty of another Twin Cities area cockfighting, breeding and training operation.

David Kao Xiong, 23, of Ramsey, was charged Tuesday with felony cruelty to animals for animal fighting in connection with the operation, which was broken up Saturday night in Ramsey. Five other adults were cited for attending the cockfight, a gross misdemeanor.

More than 100 birds in varying conditions of health were confiscated by the Anoka County Sheriff's Office and are now in the custody of the Animal Humane Society of Golden Valley. The chickens ranged from small chicks to adult Taiwanese Fighting Cocks.

"Based on what we have seen, this was more of a raising, training and housing operation," said Keith Streff, senior Humane Investigator with the Animal Humane Society. "What we have seen fits what leads to the very violent deaths of these birds.

Acting on an anonymous tip, Ramsey police officers went to a home in the 16800 block of Zirconium Street NW in Ramsey.

There, they found two roosters in a ring preparing to fight in a barn-like building behind the home. Authorities found the malnourished and mistreated chickens, several lacking evidence of any medical care, near the blood-spattered ring.

On Saturday night, according to the charges, Xiong told police he was just watching the property for the owners, who were out of town.

When authorities returned with a search warrant Sunday, they seized the birds and equipment, as well as an electric fry pan used to irritate the birds prior to a fight by dipping their talons in the hot oil. Xiong then admitted to hosting a cockfighting event.

He remains in the Anoka County jail.

It's the fourth large Twin Cities cockfighting bust in as many months, the most recent occurring in July when Cher Kong, 35, was charged with felony animal fighting.

Anoka County deputies acted on an anonymous tip to find dozens of people and roosters milling about a blood-spattered basement.

On Tuesday, a full-grown rooster rested nearly docile in the arms of AHS wildlife technician Laura Nelson. She stroked his feathers, saying "Easy, big boy," as he let out the occasional crow. Scars dotted the bird's face and neck, while large portions of his body were bald. The rooster, like several others, was being treated with pain medication and antibiotics.

"None of these birds look good," she said. "When they're fought, this is what happens to them."

As she gestured to a cage full of peeping baby chicks, she said: "It's also what the future holds for these cute little chicks."

The future for the birds is also uncertain. Xiong has time to appeal their seizure before they are turned over to authorities. Though some foster homes are available for the birds, their fighting nature makes several unadoptable.

"These birds are trained to kill, so there's really no future for an adult Taiwanese fighting cock," Streff said. "If it comes to the point where they have to be put down, at least it will be done humanely."

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/277...l?elr=KArksUUUU

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
hmong people don't understand that cockfighting is animal cruelty
oh well... sucks to be them
my family raises chickens too..
but only for "fun"
my little sister treats them as pets
so they are well cared for
eventually... they might be sold..
or we use it for the mini jingle bells
but its not cruel.. we all eat chicken. lol.

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
lol true chicken is a culture eating thing...but why let chicken fight each other?...weird doesn't seems fun though...welll at least they don't to the cow/bull fighint each other n america..."D

cecilia

Staff member
hey, this is a popular game in Asia nah.
so it's in doubt that you will run into this law here in the states.
just too bad that ppl depend on this on making money.
there are so many other way out there to make profit than be charge with these kind of instinct.
i know it's human cruelty to have them fights but back home in thailand, it's seem to be okay too.

anyway, i'm afraid to raise or butcher real live chickens.
i know we eats them, and they do taste good but i'm just not into it.
i just go and buy it .. shoot, make me want to be a vegetarian after reading all these animal cruelty thing.

i'm glad that the chicken are safe now, suck to be them too ..

**if anyone read this, don't mind my blabbering, i dont' know which side i'm on LOL ***

stephanie

sarNie Adult
my dad raises chickens, and sometimes he even but them into a cockfighting ring... but it's just for fun, and it's only once in a while... i dont think i've seen a cockfight for4 or 5 months now... ha ha!a lot of hmong guys do it too... it's soooo boring! and abusive!

freaken hmoob ppl man :p
i don't know why it's so hard for them to understand that it's animal cruelty!
yes, here in the u.s. we have laws against that sheesh.
i don't even get what's so "entertaining" about the cock fights...
i'm no animal activist, but i feel real sorry for the chickens....
i love boiled chicken..
anyways.
good, i'm glad they got caught!
:eek: