computer just started being really SLOW today

vina_lek

Hey guys!! :(

I really, really, really need some help here. please help!

- when i start up my computer, it takes a while for it to load & show my desktop -- about 5-10mins.
- when i play my own music or from a site, the music is really broken as in it stops & goes throughout, & no one would be able to make out the song if they didn't already know it type broken up. this includes videos meaning i'm soooo lakorn deprived!

as far as protection for my 'puter goes, i only have zone alarm but haven't had any problems for at least 5 months. do u think it could be something malignant in my 'puter? agh...i have no idea. i know this might not be enough information. i just don't know!!!

eeep!!!!! help!

darvil

sarNie Adult
there is no doubt in my mind that you have been hit with a bunch of stuff.. and by that I mean spyware.

Has anyone used your PC recently? Your cousin, sister, visiting family? Don't ever let your "male" cousin, family member use your PC.

There's a reason why but lets not get into it.

You can try cleaning it up by using programs such as spybot or adaware from download.com

I know there are better softwares now but I recommend start with those first.

After that you can perhaps try downloading norton antivirus from the programs link and do a real nice cleanup (after updating norton of course).

vina_lek

Darvil!!! Thank you so much for replying so fast! :wub: I'm like having a mini-breakdown here! :(

yep. my 16 y.o baby brother has been using my 'puter lately. -_-

I'll try those programs out!!! Thank you. Hope it solves the problem.

vina_lek

ok. ok. bad news. i should really learn some more 'puter skills. :(

Here's what I did to remedy the slowness problem:

- d/l spybot S&D: it detected about 26 spyware/adware. i let it remove everything & then uninstalled the program.
- d/l counterspy: it didn't detect any spyware/adware but detected some infected cookies? i let the program remove them & then uninstalled the program.
RESULTS: computer was still as slow as it was before.

- defragmented the whole night & did a disk clean up.
RESULTS: computer was still as slow in loading but videos were able to play again. woopie! but computer was still slow. so i was still upset... -_-

- d/l norton & ran it.
RESULTS: no viruses found, & my computer was so, so, so much slower!!! It took a few minutes from when I scrolled my mouse to the start button for my programs to show up! My videos are even more broken up, & I couldn't even come on the internet!

- uninstalled norton.
RESULTS: computer still super slow & videos are still as broken up as before I did anything.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!! What's going on?????? :( :wacko: :unsure:

I know it's me, hehe. ^_^

untinnu

sarNie Adult
according to your first post..my computer was EXACTLY like that...never figured out how/why..but my friend kept telling me to reformat/reboot my computer, so i did as so, and now it's working perfectly fine..so..my advice is try reformatting/rebooting it..

untinnu

sarNie Adult
i don't think so..when i did it, i didn't need to use any disc and i've been reformatting/rebooting my comp many times already..like once every couple months..no disc involve..

vina_lek

really? I'm a little scared, b/c I don't have faith in my 'puter skills whatsoever! -_-

could u recommend a site for me to research how to reformat/reboot on? the ones I've been reading keeps saying I need to back up things on a disk or something & have the cd. :(

thank you so much for looking into this for me!!!!!!! :wub:

all i need is my microsoft office & the internet, darnit.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Did you update norton before you used it to scan? Also it was probably doing a full drive scan which can take a while to do.. I don't think you gave it time at all and tried to do stuff which is why it felt really slow.

Never mind though.

I think the best method for you is to format.

There are several ways of doing it.

untinnu probably has a copy of the operating system on another partition on the computer. You can tell if you open up "My computer" and you will see a C: Drive and a D: Drive. The D: should be like only 2 gigs or so. Because of that untinnu doesn't have to worry about having a CD.. but that is a BRAND NAME specific. Companies like HP started doing that because people keep losing their CDs.

But since I don't know how your computer is setup I can't say if you could do this.

I can provide you the CD if you need it but last time I did that I got into a pretty big problem (ask rukd2b). That is because companies are now using parts that are brand SPECFIC so that only THEIR CDs would work. Its a very underhanded way to do business if you ask me.

Anyway I can also give you microsoft office and good thing it is already uploaded on the server so you can download.

Why don't we do this. Do you have MSN? Come in chat and talk to me. I'll remote access you and see what you have and whether there's a good way to do this.

untinnu

sarNie Adult
untinnu probably has a copy of the operating system on another partition on the computer. You can tell if you open up "My computer" and you will see a C: Drive and a D: Drive. The D: should be like only 2 gigs or so. Because of that untinnu doesn't have to worry about having a CD.. but that is a BRAND NAME specific. Companies like HP started doing that because people keep losing their CDs.
yeah!! after reading your post..i went and check 'My Computer' and my D: Drive has like 5 gigs..

so....i guess i can't help you now vina_lek..sorry..i don't know any other methods..

darvil

sarNie Adult
5 gig huh? thats pretty cool.. make sure you never delete that.. some people accidently deleted files from that partition cough *rukd2b* cough.

vina_lek don't lose hope.

Come in chat and talk to me. and if I don't respond right away.. don't leave

vina_lek

darvil!!!!!!!! :wub:

i got lost. :wacko:

haha. kidding. it took my 'puter a really, really, really long time to come back on. everything's ok now. thank you so, so, so much for guiding me as much as you could & for all your patience!!!!!!!!!!!! MuCh LoVe!! :yahoo:

darvil

sarNie Adult
darvil!!!!!!!! :wub:

i got lost. :wacko:

haha. kidding. it took my 'puter a really, really, really long time to come back on. everything's ok now. thank you so, so, so much for guiding me as much as you could & for all your patience!!!!!!!!!!!! MuCh LoVe!! :yahoo:
Hey thats great..

but I kinda want to know what happened.. did you F11 it? something happened? you got someone else to help you? or did you just guessed your way though?? details!!!!!

Oh I just helped cecellia just now and this is what I saw on her PC.. because I could remote with her.
Just so you know.

vina_lek

I remember looking very thoroughly at the start menu last night, but somehow I think I must've deleted it. Now after going through PC recovery, it's there, agh!!!!!!! Here's the pic:

Learned my lesson -- won't be deleting that again anytime soon.

So last night or should I say this morning, haha, I was looking at PC recovery again. I decided to take a risk & just go through w/ it -- clicked 'next' until well, I'm here!!!!! woopie! Everything is A-okay now...am happy, hehe. :lol:

darvil

sarNie Adult
yea wasn't so scary is it?

Yea doing it thru the bootup screen scares people which is why I was trying to make it easy on you by doing it thru windows.

Anyway glad you take the plunge.. wasn't so hard was it? :)

next time something like this happen you can do this again.

I see you already have office installed. Nice.. it must have come with your system.

Very cool :)

You did do a destructive install right? :)

vina_lek

um I don't know :rolleyes:

lmao. going through the boot screen wasn't scary. i've done it several times before in HS, but I haven't had computer problems in a really, really, really long time so forgot all about how to go about it. I was actually thinking...hm, why didn't he just tell me about this earlier? haha. no worries! i see where you're coming from. :p

Actually, when I hit F11, there's the PC Recovery Screen. On the lower left is the advanced options:
- destructive recovery
- windows system restore
- delete recovery partition <---- this is what you guys were referring to right? No. I didn't delete it. don't panic!

I clicked on advanced options to look for anything w/ the word "destructive" like you told me. :) See. I behaved. Then, came right back on, but I couldn't find you. :huh:

So I restarted my computer & hit F11 again. This time instead of clicking on advanced options on the left, I just clicked on next on the right of the screen. Then, the computer went through the motions of recovering my PC to its original factory condition I guess. All my lakorns and songs are still on though. So that's awesome. It might've taken at most 3 hrs. I don't remember. I fell asleep. :rolleyes:

Office comes w/ the computer, but it's only a trial verson. I'm going to uninstall later & install a full version my cousin gave me.

Thanks again!!! :wub:

ps. should i have done a destructive install? uh-oh or is that what i did? :unsure:

darvil

sarNie Adult
yea you needed to do the destructive format.

Don't ever delete the partition..

But it works for you so its ok.

The files are still there because you didn't do a format.. you just did a reinstall.

Next time do the destructive recovery!!!!!! :lol:

cecilia

Staff member
^darvy..thanks for you help ..
i havent try the destructive format yet..but will do that someday when this computer is super slow..
i did a few spyware ad remove and delete this and that..end up with lots of space and the computer seem to run better now..so i didn't do destructive format..but THANKS AGAIN for you help..
rep for you..:lol:

darvil

sarNie Adult
Man these people naming a regular format DESTRUCTIVE.

It sure scared you girls.

But at least you ladies know how to do it yourself next time.