Do you mind?

Liberty

sarNie Adult
5 years? I don't mean to burst your bubble but you must be living in a very open minded community so you assume all are open minded...?
I'm not saying it still won't exist in 5 years I'm just saying in the media wise, it won't be such a big deal anymore. (It's just a prediction, I'm not saying it'll be like that for sure.)
I didn't say anything about gay marriages or union though, that's still being worked on.
I'm just talking about the whole "being gay or lesbian" thing.
People still fuss about it in the media, "oh my god, she's a lesbian or he's gay?" In 5 years, Hollywood and mainstream media probably won't even care who comes out anymore.
I'm not saying it won't still be an issue somewhere else though.

Part of changing peoples way of thinking is what is being portrayed in the media. Once it's no longer an issue in mainstream media it'll gradually work out into other areas but even then there will always be a region or group of people who are unaccepting of it. That's why there are still KKK groups in the US.
Yes, there are still racism all over the US but the fact that blacks and women have the right to vote; people of all color and ethnicity are able to come together and socialize in most places means that things have changed a lot. You can't expect prejudicism of any kind to completely go away because as human beings we have free will. If people choose not to accept something that there's not much you can do about it except to enforce laws to make sure no one gets hurt but is still able to believe whatever they choose to believe.

I live in a big city (in a pretty conservative southern state), not everyone accepts homosexuality but it's very unlikely that you'll find an indiviual that will openly show their disapproval or even hate for it. It's naive to think that any form of prejudicism will ever completely go away when realisticly all we can hope for and work towards is making things more widely acceptable.

judyp

sarNie Adult
i have to agree w/ someone who said that if the boy wanted to dress as a girl, he would do so himself. i also agree with sandy, i would be a hypocrite if i said i didn't mind if my kids were gay. but like sandy, i can learn to accept it. anyhow, my younger brother actually came out the closet not too long ago & he is as happy as can be now. it wasn't a surprise to me nor my brothers and sister because we knew that he wasn't your "average" boy since we were kids. i actually almost cried when he came out. not that i was disappointed or anything, but because he felt like he never had a chance to be straight & was born that way. my heart nearly burst because i just felt bad for him because all his life, he felt like he was something he didn't want to be and things weren't suppose to be the way they were.

to make the long story short. my entire family accepted him. it actually took my mom longer than my dad to accept. my mom thinks he can get cured by a doctor. i laughed at her. but she knows that if she can't accept him, then their relationship is done. my brother's sexuality is still iffy to her, but she's adapting to it & i think thats all people can really do. you can't change a person.

noungning

Heartless
I'm not saying it still won't exist in 5 years I'm just saying in the media wise, it won't be such a big deal anymore. (It's just a prediction, I'm not saying it'll be like that for sure.)
It's true that media has a big impact on how people perceives reality, but in the sense of sexual orientation, i still don't think it will have the greatest impact. Because it boils down to religious beliefs and etc.

I was just responding to what you've said in your previous post, and it reads to me as if you were saying it will just be another thing that they will get over... which isn't the fact. It's not just another technology that people will simply adapt to.