green lady for a wedding

Fearless

sarNie Adult
OMG I have a story about my first green lady experience. And yeah if the bride side is green then you better prepare because they do drink a lot.

My first experience was the worst and most embarrassing of all. I was 17 at that time and had no idea what a green lady was supposed to do. My mom and sisters just told me that I was supposed to just follow the bride around and keep my eye on her. They also told me that there will be some drinking at the end but I can just tell them that I can’t drink and they won’t give it to me but it was a whole different story when I went. At first, I didn’t want to do it because first of all, I just broke up with my boyfriend of 1 year and was still stressed out. Second of all, the bride lives in Wisconsin and I live in Minnesota and I didn’t want to be in a car for 3-4 hours in Hmong clothes. Third, I will be with a whole bunch of strangers which is scary well excluding my brother. Anyways, it was my brother’s wedding (my sister-in-law is Hmong green) and I’m the youngest daughter who is the only one not married so I had no choice. Sitting in the car for hours in hmong clothes was horrible. It was so embarrassing making stops to use the restroom and walking in the store wearing Hmong clothes having people look at you thinking where the heck you came from. When we got to her house it was like in the late afternoon and there were a lot of people there and I was so nervous because I don’t know anybody. We just went to change and didn’t really do anything much but just sat around and I just had to follow her wherever she goes there were times that I would lose her because when I went to use the bathroom and come out she would not be there and I’d have to go look for her. It made me feel so stupid like I’m not doing my job. One time I had to use the restroom and I didn’t know that their door didn’t have a lock I think it was broken or something I thought nobody was in the bathroom so I opened the door and walked in on her brother pissing.. So embarrassing.. Later on when I went to take a bath I felt so uncomfortable because there were no lock on the door. I told my sister in law to stand by the door and not let anybody enter. It just gets worse. Their bathtub didn’t even have a shower curtain.. And they didn’t even have a shower head at the top. They had a shower spray where you have to hold it by the hand so I had to use one hand to hold the shower spray and one hand to shampoo my hair.. How can these people shower like this? I was considering not even taking a bath at all but with all the stickiness from wearing the hmong clothes I had no choice or else I wouldn’t be able to sleep through the whole night. I don’t even know if my sister in law is keeping watch on the door because I saw somebody opened the door and closed it really quick.. I just tried to hurry no matter if I’m as clean as I want to be or not.. I just don’t want anybody walking in on me naked. When I was done I went out and she was talking to her brothers. I asked her if she ever left that whole time and she said no but whatever I was just ready to go to sleep and go home the next day. In the morning, we had to wake up early and help cook and prepare for the feast. There wasn’t really much cooking because it was all done the day before. We just have to prepare some side dishes and other stuff. After the eating, we had to go change back into Hmong clothes. And before we left, that’s when all the drinking starts. It was crazy! Not at all what I expected and was told. All of the sudden, my sister in law disappeared and I was by myself. Lots of people kept on bringing me beer.. Everyone was coming at me like a herd of hyenas.. There were two long lines.. Some people had beer some people had juice some people had pop.. Mostly beer though.. I didn’t know what to do.. Each person come and say their piece and then offered me the beer.. Some people I don’t even know what the heck they’re saying because they were speaking in Hmong green.. I told him I can’t drink but they still force you to drink.... If you don’t drink it they will say that you’re not happy to have their daughter as your sister in law and that makes you feel bad so I had no choice but to drink it.. Some of the younger guys are more generous and will ask you to just take a sip and they’ll finish the rest… my brothers and cousins said they would be there to help me drink but I don’t even see them anywhere.. Some kind of brothers and cousins they are.. I was actually really scared there because the lines just kept getting longer with more people and beer. I don’t even know how many cups I dranked.. Everything was so overwhelming for me.. I started feeling emotional.. I think I was starting to get drunk.. I felt dizzy.. Then my brothers and cousins finally came and started helping me drink.. I was drunk. I couldn’t even stand on my feet.. I remember these two old ladies asking me if I was okay.. Then these two guys put my arms around each of their shoulders and took me to the sofa.. I sat down there for a while and I remember I was crying and I was shouting some stuff about my ex boyfriend! How embarrassing! I was drunk but I was still aware of everything that’s going on in my surroundings but I just couldn’t control myself.. I don’t know if I threw up or not but this one guy was wiping me with a cold washcloth… I could see a lot of people looking at me.. My head felt so heavy I couldn’t even lift it up.. I was thinking a lot about my ex-boyfriend and I was still crying.. That’s the first time I learn that drinking beer makes me emotional when I’m drunk. When we got home everyone was waiting for us at home and it was about late evening.. I started to get sober and I was like “what happened?� It’s like you can’t really remember what happened until you think back.. I couldn’t even remember what happened until my brothers and cousins told everyone what happened and then I start thinking back and remembered..everyone was laughing and making fun of me at how I got wasted… Gosh I was so embarrassed.. This experience became everyone’s topic of conversation for weeks…. I swore that I would never do this again.. But unlucky me I had to do it again for my cousin but this time I was lucky. I didn’t get to drink as much.. The second time was much better. I noticed that sometimes being the green lady some of the bride’s relatives will come and flirt with you so if you pretend to flirt back it will be a really good advantage later on when they offer you beer.. Because if they like you they will drink the beer for you.. You just kind of have to try to sweet talk them..lol… well no more green lady for me! Good luck to whoever is going to be a green lady for the first time.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
whoooooooooooo i was suppose to be a green lady for my cousin but lucky me im no longer doing it hehe xp .. i would've like to try it but eeeek after readin wat u wrote whoooo.. iono animore lol.. xp .. hmmmm if i was still the green lady.. i wouldve been at the wedding in winsconsin by now.. lol.. n im in fresno..>_< .. im just happy im not it animore hehe xp .. lalalalala...

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
^^^
god damn.
that was like hell then... lol.
well.. my nephew's wedding is on hold...
so... i get to hear more stories until the real wedding comes.

lakornsrok

sarNie Adult
ohh Fearless, your story scares me!! I am soo sad!! yes I am the chosen one to be green lady. Someone kill me!! I hate drinking i dont like drinking. I don't want one sip at all into my throat. I want to be able to avoid them the best as I can. But I don't know how to next week will be the wedding and I will have to go and start my duty ughh soo annoying. I am really scared of people hovering around me giving me drinks as I don't want to drink. Someone please give me an idea of what I should do!1 Thank you!!:(

lenlin

sarNie Juvenile
emilie said:
i don't really know what they do, but for what i saw they just follow the bride around to make sure nothing happens to her. cuz u never know what could happen next. so you're kinda like her bodyguard for the day.
You're kind of like her bodyguard, but the traditional duty of a green lady is to watch the bride and make sure she doesn't take off or cheat on the groom. That's why the green lady is always someone from the groom's family because she'll be on the groom's side, protecting his interests. In the old days, there were a lot of kidnapped brides or arranged marriages, so to prevent the bride from taking off with her lover or whatever, the green lady's there to shadow her and watch her every move. That's why if you lose the bride, they'll "nplua" you because in that time you're not with her, who knows what the bride may have done/gone to see.

But Fearless, your experience was horrifying!

yerry

sarNie Egg
lakornsrok said:
ohh Fearless, your story scares me!! I am soo sad!! yes I am the chosen one to be green lady. Someone kill me!! I hate drinking i dont like drinking. I don't want one sip at all into my throat. I want to be able to avoid them the best as I can. But I don't know how to next week will be the wedding and I will have to go and start my duty ughh soo annoying. I am really scared of people hovering around me giving me drinks as I don't want to drink. Someone please give me an idea of what I should do!1 Thank you!!:(

EDIT: Opps, I didn't realize that you posted in April. Late advice but I hope that you had a great time. 

I was green lady four times. All of it I was volunteered by my dear sweet mother. =/ Two of the brides I was to follow, I had never met before so it was kind of awkward following them since we didn't know each other. Also, for those two, since the grooms were relatives but not close relatives, I didn't have any body helping me with the drinks which was poorly done by the groom side but whatever. Everybody kept giving me advice about the drinking. When people come up to offer you the drink, it can only be beer or soda, no hard liquor. If they are trying to serve you liquor, get your meej kong (the guy who is the head of the groom side) on that like nobody's business. When they come up, they should formally introduce themselves to you, their relationship to the bride and just a little "take care of our sister, aunt, cousin, etc" and then you can say "Oh since we are family now, I will drink one and you drink one to celebrate our union or the joining of two families" or something along those lines. Just try to get them to drink one cup, and you the other so you won't get too drunk. 

Sometimes, when the people who are offering you that drink don't introduce themselves properly, you can get them to drink those two cups but then they will have to pour another set and you have to drink it or give it to someone who is willing to drink it for you (your brother, cousin, relative). All these weddings, I kept hearing the guys from the bride's side joke that they were going to "get the green lady drunk" but I didn't let that bother me cause in the end, I was still walking properly. Haha. I say, don't stress, just follow the bride and keep a good eye on her. If she helps around, help her; if she sits, you can sit with her. If she goes to the store, go with her. If she walks into her parent's bedroom, follow her in. No shame. You are only doing your duty. 

If you don't know anything or are confused about some things, just ask the meej kong (I'm totally spelling that wrong) but ask him and he should tell you or give you brief details about what you are supposed to do. 

Good luck and have fun! 

Waffle

❤ BTS ❤
I almost got to be a green lady, but my brother and sis in law didnt want a wedding. I really wouldnt want to do it.

P

PrincessKarina

OMG I have a story about my first green lady experience. And yeah if the bride side is green then you better prepare because they do drink a lot.

My first experience was the worst and most embarrassing of all. I was 17 at that time and had no idea what a green lady was supposed to do. My mom and sisters just told me that I was supposed to just follow the bride around and keep my eye on her. They also told me that there will be some drinking at the end but I can just tell them that I can’t drink and they won’t give it to me but it was a whole different story when I went. At first, I didn’t want to do it because first of all, I just broke up with my boyfriend of 1 year and was still stressed out. Second of all, the bride lives in Wisconsin and I live in Minnesota and I didn’t want to be in a car for 3-4 hours in Hmong clothes. Third, I will be with a whole bunch of strangers which is scary well excluding my brother. Anyways, it was my brother’s wedding (my sister-in-law is Hmong green) and I’m the youngest daughter who is the only one not married so I had no choice. Sitting in the car for hours in hmong clothes was horrible. It was so embarrassing making stops to use the restroom and walking in the store wearing Hmong clothes having people look at you thinking where the heck you came from. When we got to her house it was like in the late afternoon and there were a lot of people there and I was so nervous because I don’t know anybody. We just went to change and didn’t really do anything much but just sat around and I just had to follow her wherever she goes there were times that I would lose her because when I went to use the bathroom and come out she would not be there and I’d have to go look for her. It made me feel so stupid like I’m not doing my job. One time I had to use the restroom and I didn’t know that their door didn’t have a lock I think it was broken or something I thought nobody was in the bathroom so I opened the door and walked in on her brother pissing.. So embarrassing.. Later on when I went to take a bath I felt so uncomfortable because there were no lock on the door. I told my sister in law to stand by the door and not let anybody enter. It just gets worse. Their bathtub didn’t even have a shower curtain.. And they didn’t even have a shower head at the top. They had a shower spray where you have to hold it by the hand so I had to use one hand to hold the shower spray and one hand to shampoo my hair.. How can these people shower like this? I was considering not even taking a bath at all but with all the stickiness from wearing the hmong clothes I had no choice or else I wouldn’t be able to sleep through the whole night. I don’t even know if my sister in law is keeping watch on the door because I saw somebody opened the door and closed it really quick.. I just tried to hurry no matter if I’m as clean as I want to be or not.. I just don’t want anybody walking in on me naked. When I was done I went out and she was talking to her brothers. I asked her if she ever left that whole time and she said no but whatever I was just ready to go to sleep and go home the next day. In the morning, we had to wake up early and help cook and prepare for the feast. There wasn’t really much cooking because it was all done the day before. We just have to prepare some side dishes and other stuff. After the eating, we had to go change back into Hmong clothes. And before we left, that’s when all the drinking starts. It was crazy! Not at all what I expected and was told. All of the sudden, my sister in law disappeared and I was by myself. Lots of people kept on bringing me beer.. Everyone was coming at me like a herd of hyenas.. There were two long lines.. Some people had beer some people had juice some people had pop.. Mostly beer though.. I didn’t know what to do.. Each person come and say their piece and then offered me the beer.. Some people I don’t even know what the heck they’re saying because they were speaking in Hmong green.. I told him I can’t drink but they still force you to drink.... If you don’t drink it they will say that you’re not happy to have their daughter as your sister in law and that makes you feel bad so I had no choice but to drink it.. Some of the younger guys are more generous and will ask you to just take a sip and they’ll finish the rest… my brothers and cousins said they would be there to help me drink but I don’t even see them anywhere.. Some kind of brothers and cousins they are.. I was actually really scared there because the lines just kept getting longer with more people and beer. I don’t even know how many cups I dranked.. Everything was so overwhelming for me.. I started feeling emotional.. I think I was starting to get drunk.. I felt dizzy.. Then my brothers and cousins finally came and started helping me drink.. I was drunk. I couldn’t even stand on my feet.. I remember these two old ladies asking me if I was okay.. Then these two guys put my arms around each of their shoulders and took me to the sofa.. I sat down there for a while and I remember I was crying and I was shouting some stuff about my ex boyfriend! How embarrassing! I was drunk but I was still aware of everything that’s going on in my surroundings but I just couldn’t control myself.. I don’t know if I threw up or not but this one guy was wiping me with a cold washcloth… I could see a lot of people looking at me.. My head felt so heavy I couldn’t even lift it up.. I was thinking a lot about my ex-boyfriend and I was still crying.. That’s the first time I learn that drinking beer makes me emotional when I’m drunk. When we got home everyone was waiting for us at home and it was about late evening.. I started to get sober and I was like “what happened?� It’s like you can’t really remember what happened until you think back.. I couldn’t even remember what happened until my brothers and cousins told everyone what happened and then I start thinking back and remembered..everyone was laughing and making fun of me at how I got wasted… Gosh I was so embarrassed.. This experience became everyone’s topic of conversation for weeks…. I swore that I would never do this again.. But unlucky me I had to do it again for my cousin but this time I was lucky. I didn’t get to drink as much.. The second time was much better. I noticed that sometimes being the green lady some of the bride’s relatives will come and flirt with you so if you pretend to flirt back it will be a really good advantage later on when they offer you beer.. Because if they like you they will drink the beer for you.. You just kind of have to try to sweet talk them..lol… well no more green lady for me! Good luck to whoever is going to be a green lady for the first time.
You were super funny! Lol. I giggled through your story! Oh you poor thing. Well good thing this was a bit ago! :)